UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Froslass Kanpani

Kanpani⋆Girls

Hello reader! Now, before you shy away for reasons such as "Oh god a Crys thread" or "Another Japanese girls game", hear me out. You'll probably be glad you did. So sit back, pop a can, and read along. You don't even need to finish reading this post, just the fact that you gave it a chance past this is good enough. If something is vague or unclear in sections, I likely added onto it in subsequent parts, so check. I'll do my best to explain it. Cue wall-o-text.

Alright, so what exactly is this? : Kanpani⋆Girls is a turn-based, Fantasy Webgame RPG featured on DMM. Being the younger sister to KanColle, which has a thread here by KamenAeons, Kanpani shares a few core functions to her older sister, but despite these similarities the two are vastly different. Kanpani is a more casual player friendly rpg than Colle, and is much more comparable to "regular" RPGs, like Bravely Default or, well, a ton of the RPGs out there today. Doesn't mean it isn't filled with its own thing, though. This makes for a much easier experience starting than learning a somewhat different system for KanColle, as if you've played an RPG before the general idea of what to do is likely already in your brain. It also serves as a stepping stone in a way if you like the game and are curious at trying out Colle, as the knowledge of how the shared functions work helps out in the other game. Likewise for any Colle players coming to Pani. It also has a "Collect em' all!" thing to it, so there's a Pokemon connection somewhere.

Like Colle? Ugh, this has got to be a pain even start playing then. : Not exactly. While yes, you do need a Japanese DMM account and trick the system into thinking you're from Japan (both of which actually aren't too hard to pull off, some timezone + webcode messing fixes it), you DO NOT need to enter a lottery to play this currently. I repeat, YOU DO NOT NEED TO ENTER A LOTTERY TO PLAY THIS CURRENTLY. You can pick up it right away and play, as long as the servers are up (which they should be and open, with 3/4 open last I check, with only one filled. Though this may change depending on things such as maintenance). Once you connect to a server, you do not need to repick a server each time you log in. You'll be registered to that server, and pretty much have a spot reserved for your app_id link.

Hmm k...Hey, this is in Japanese! How am I supposed to read this? : You have a few options here. A: Learn an entire new language, B: Blindly spam buttons, C: Use a translator or wait for an English Mod, or D: Play by remembering the color coded icons and symbols, and what they mean and do. For most, unless you already know the Japanese language, D is the best option, and honestly isn't too hard. I suck with languages, and I picked everything up within the first 10 minutes. Hell, you'll probably pick up a bit of Japanese along the way. If need be, there are guides to getting started, one of which I'll feature in the bottom of this post, under the section "Helpful Links and Information".

Alright, that's all good and well, but how do I play without knowing the plot? : Good question! Almost as if I purposely put it here. No matter. Despite the whole thing with stories, Kanpani is one RPG that you don't exactly need to know what they're saying dialogue wise to play and progress in the game. If you're really interested, there's probably English translations someone with a ton of time did somewhere. You can also pick up context clues from the background the conversation is taking place in, such as say there was a beaten up girl. A few conversations of dialogue later, some bandits appear and attack you and the girl. While not knowing exactly what they said, you can piece together a general idea of what likely happened. There's also little bubbles that pop up when a character is displaying a specific emotion, like anger, happiness, or sadness, which helps out more.

Fine fine. You've talked about it, but I want to see what it looks like. : With pleasure. Below are some screen of the game, with captions provided by your's truly. (Warning, Somewhat Large Images)
Spoiler: show

~Game Start Screen. Really bright and flashy, and I'd honestly prefer something a bit darker, but it works for what it is.

~Main Menu / Hub Screen.

~Girls Armory and Listings

~Formation and Squad Stuff.

~Screen of Mid-Attack Combat Verse Low Leveled Mobs.

~Screen of Dialogue Example.

~Screen of the Girl "PokeDex".

Helpful Links and Information
Kanpani Beginners Guide from Kimueta Forums!
Kanpani Wiki
Section from the Wiki on How to Register for DMM
Useful Information and Stuff

Little Neat Bits
  • Kanpani is much more forgiving than Colle, upon a character being KO'd you do not infact lose them permanently!
  • You can get duplicates of girls.
  • The app_id given to yours is yours uniquely and only. Don't give it out!
  • You can build your own town!
  • This game, and Colle, can be surprisingly addicting. Pace how much you play.

Last edited by Crys; 05-10-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Goddammit Crys I was playing this in secret. And now I have to make a Touken Ranbu thread or something as well because swordboys.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh this I started playing this

*Derisive sniff*

Not enough playa control for muh
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Crys

So apparently Kanpani Girls has an English release now (or has had, since around new year)

I talked about this in the KC skype group for a little bit, having just found out myself recently about this. Decided to plop it in the thread to get awareness out there to more than a select few.

Here's a link to the page. This is Alex Ogloza's (A well known VGC Youtuber and player) promotional page, him being sponsored by the site to get this out there a bit more. You can use his promotion code YOU2FMPY74NA to get a free character right from the get go.

You will need a Nutaku account to play, but it's incredibly easy to make an account, only requiring an email and for you to make a username / password. Currently experimenting with seeing if my data from the DMM version can be perhaps transfered over, but I likely will be starting anew. Still a browser game like the DMM version.

There are currently 2 servers, with one being full. If any of yal want to play the english version, gotta hurry up quick! No clue when another server will be added in!

here's a screenshot of the english site and game etc. Hype!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

> anime
> English
> RPG
> Free

Well I guess I'm signing up
Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Just so you know, the interface for the English version is so painful. Unless they've managed to fix that in the last 6 months.

Usually you won't be able to transfer your data over because different servers entirely.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Old 03-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Crys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
Just so you know, the interface for the English version is so painful. Unless they've managed to fix that in the last 6 months.

Usually you won't be able to transfer your data over because different servers entirely.
The interface seems fine atm. Haven't had any issues, and the layout is fairly tolerable.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Oh okay then. I stopped playing Kanpani after clearing up to 2-2-1. And then I got lazy because holy hell the mobs are ridiculously strong. Battleground was fun to play through though. Also the metal slimes. So many metal slimes.

SAAVE ME

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games