Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #76
deoxys
Fog Badge

I hate all of you.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #77
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

But guys, guys! Didn't you hear? One day, me and phoopes were talking about "Touch My Creamy Center" at the mall, but deoxys was on duty and was all, "Stop trying to make TUGs happen! It's not going to happen!" And then Shuckle, who was within earshot, was all, "UP YOURS DUDE!" and snuck into a secret room and switched the Greatest Ru$ha Hits of 2011 with Flagging Peregrine, and everyone got kind of confused when they started hearing the molten riffage of "Heist on Mt. Rushmore" over the PA system instead of... well, "Slow." And then he got arrested for starting a TUGs riot.

What I'm saying is we don't want to incur the wrath of the thread police, guys.
also I heard there's a sample of the "TIN ROOF RUSTED!" bit from "Love Shack" buried in one of the TUGs on
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #78
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It is kind of astounding that there's a line drawn between clever spam and moronic spam, to the point that this hasn't been deleted.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #79
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Well stop filling this with Moronic Spam.

Someone should save everything worth saving in this thread.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #80
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Hm! Looks like I've been beaten to the punch. TUGs is at it again! Their new album, SPAM, is divided into two halves, "Moronic" and "Clever". Good sleuthing, Emgee.

"Clever" is a new angle on the TUGs' original post-doom-pop take, with none of the dissonance we've come to know and love. Songs in this half include "Saving Everything Worth Saving" and "Powdered Infinity".

"Moronic" is also a new angle, but this side amplifies the horrible-sounding jarring clashes into a pure wall of noise that, somewhere within its chaos of melodies and harmonies confused with arpeggios and robot sounds and plenty of dubstep along with no less than six cybertronic snare parts and two magnetic violin parts. Still sounds nice, though, for whatever reason. Iunno. Songs here include "BbBbBbBbBbBb" and a horrible-sounding song (featuring both Ru$ha and Justin Meemer singing a duet without knowing the other person is also singing or indeed that they're being recorded) entitled "Slippery Slope".

Thank you for delivering the news, Emgee, though I can't help but feel you can go into a little more detail next time.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #81
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I'm kinda meh on the new album. It seemed like a good gimmick at first, but I think it shows that TUGs are at their best when they're combining their pretty solid melodies with all that noise; no need to separate 'em. I'm convinced they did the Ru$ha/Meemer collab just to troll their respective fanbases thinking they'd get some sparkly song about partying or MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE OOOOH.

In the mean time, since I've moved on to Switchberry's debut EP, here's the text from some blog post by a TUGs fan. Really nice tribute. Wish I remembered who it was so I could link back to it.

Quote:
I swear, whenever I open up the sleeve to Castle of Agamids (or even Mad God Chomper) and put the record on, I flash back to 1995 and I feel fucking unstoppable.

I know everyone says Ghost Chilli is their best. idk, I kind of agree but Castle of Agamids had the bigger impact on me. It was what made me love them. Some girl spots me at the record store during spring break '95 while me and my family were vacationing in Florida, tells me about some band called Tough Underground Gynecologists and their newest EP. I didn't even know what that meant or what kind of band would call themselves that, I just wanted to grab the new Cat Kills Stereo CD for my friend. But she keeps going on about a Mad God Chomper and, at her insistence, bought it that day with the CKS CD. We got out her big sister's turntable, put it on, and we didn't really get it at first but decided to give it another chance.

It didn't quite click for a while. We decided to get Castle of Agamids when it came out because we had this vague feeling that it'd be worth it in the end, and I never said it, but I felt like owning something from a hipster band made me feel a little better about my taste in music, so I'd pretend I understood it. So when CoA came out, I went to our local record store and bought it. My friend was sick and insisted I listen to it and give her a full report... and it took a couple of listens, but then everything, including Mad God Chomper, clicked and it was absolutely magical. We fell in love with it.

I saw them live a couple of months later when they toured for CoA. I was 14, never been to a concert before except for some terrible pop-punk band my brother took me to, and thus so impressionable that the image of Annie Oakwood in heels, staring at her pedals on the floor like she's playing twister, and screaming out the lyrics to Build a Castle and Red Tipped Azalea and all the other tunes like she'd been screaming for a day straight already burned into my head.

And then you get Montis and Robinson right by her, making a kazoo and jazz flute look badass. A kazoo and jazz flute. And Montis is playing lead guitar on top of that. Truffles Cosmo is doing the stoic thing, looking like he's gonna burn a hole in his drum kit with just the power of his frown. And Joe Kuhle just kept shouting non sequiturs during the call and response part of Stonewaller. I'm not sure he even knew he was getting the lyrics wrong.

Seemingly the next day, Itchy Bitchy Spider blew up and became a huge hit. For that one moment, we felt cool because we were among the few people who even knew who TUGs were. And as Flagging Peregrine and all the cracked out stuff that happened in between came out, and everyone stopped talking about TUGs, I eventually realized that listening to them made me feel like it was okay to be weird, and not because of that really brief moment they had. And they helped me find other independent music that introduced me to this ridiculously big world beyond my small town comprehension. If I ever run into the girl who made me get Mad God Chomper, I'm just going to give her a big hug and hope she understands. She changed my life.

Last edited by Hanatori; 03-16-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #82
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

So, how about their latest single? Phoopes mentioned it in the TO. If they got into CoroCoro, it must mean they're getting big in Japan.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #83
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke_Hunter View Post
So, how about their latest single? Phoopes mentioned it in the TO. If they got into CoroCoro, it must mean they're getting big in Japan.
Lol A flame that burns short and bright before it dies again....

Spoiler: show

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #84
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yes, "Nutella Gives Me Good Vibes" is their latest single. Apparently, it's supposed to come as a bonus if you pre-order both Black 2 and White 2 from a Japanese Toys R Us. Like I said, it was leaked along with all the new Pokemon info in the new CoroCoro, but it's being waaaay overshadowed by all of the hubbub from the games. No one realizes that they can get great music out of this too!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #85
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Nintendo are using TUGs to advertise Pokemon?

Better than bloody One Direction any day.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #86
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
these people are not available on youtube

somebody make them available on youtube
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #87
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
these people are not available on youtube

somebody make them available on youtube
Well, they feel that people should buy a whole album or a single instead of listening to it on Youtube or individually through iTunes. They're kind of like AC/DC in that regard. (Except AC/DC is still on Youtube.)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #88
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
...That's a bullshit philosophy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc