UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
GrJackass
Night Man

ZOMBIES AND RIOTS AND NUKES OH MY!

So im slowly getting together an End-Of-The-World senario go bag, more as a hobby. but hell you never know when you'll need some of these things.

So yea, im gonna post here what i plan to get, what i already own. in hopes i can get some new ideas as to what i can add to this survival pack. keep in mind i want to try to fit everything into a hiking backpack, so the bulkier items have to fall to the wayside.

What i currently have:
1. A combo crank/solarpowered Flashlight/radio with a usb port for charging electronics. (always want a flashlight and radio handy during the end of times..... and hey i have a kindle app so i wants me that charger lol)
2. Magnesium Lighter: Burns super hot, can light wet logs on fire
3. Survival book - actually a few i have to narrow down which to take with
4. BB Gun - Capable of taking down small game like birds and whatnot for food
5. Tactical Axe - its a Pick axe, hammer, and a regular axe capable of chopping wood. aerodynamically designed to be a throwing axe with a polyurathane handle that wont deteriorate (Main Weapon of choice)
6. Large Hunting Knife for Skinning Mostly
7. Machette/Saw Combo for cutting down some twigs for a fire. (also back up weapon)
8. Blade Sharpener

Planning to Get:
1. Dehydrated food (not much but enough for holing up for a week or so if needed)
2. Water Filtration kit/Extra Filter (13,000 gallons per filter)
3. Military water flask with a cup/boul attachment - made of metal so you can cook with
4. Legit Winter Clothes + Boots & Winter Sleeping Bag
5. Med Kit
6. Some Multi tools - screwdrivers and the like and one wierd crowbar multi tool
7. Compass

Anything i may be possibly missing? and yes, therapy might be one of them lol
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Hydreigon

From your topic title I was expecting a discussion of the chaos in Great Britain.

As far as medkits go, make sure you have potassium permangante and glycerine, since those chemicals can start a fire in emergencies. I forgot what products specifically contain them as active ingredients.

Also, instead of a "tactical axe" consider this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Also, instead of a "tactical axe" consider this.
I was contemplating getting something like that, but my reasoning was... what the hell do i really need a shovel? for why would i need to dig a hole? worse comes to worse i can use the pickaxe part of my axe to soften the ground then just move the dirt with my hands and whatnot. but this video just shut my mouth entirely lol
Old 08-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If you can get access to a real gun I'd recommend trying to aquire an M4 Carbine or M16 Assault Rifle.

The M16 is a pretty poor weapon, but it's lightweight and accurate, and its ammo rounds are among the most common rounds you can find in the US.

M4 is even lighter and has a higher rate of fire, but a short barrel and is really only effective at close range. It's pretty inaccurate at medium distance, I hear a major gripe for soldiers in the Middle East is the M4 is ineffective at regular combat distances.

But for the end of the world, a bullet spam seems more effective when your opponents are going to be using shotguns and pistols.

Also, this is a bit of a stretch, but if you can get your hands on a Super Soaker, preferably a CPS variant (2500 or 3000), some styrofoam and gasoline, you can make an effective flamethrower. Crush the styrofoam and dissolve it the gasoline to make napalm, and find some way to attatch the open flame close to the soaker nozzle.

The zombies won't know what burned them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 08-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
You should learn how to kill animals with stones and stuff so you never run out of ammo. Also a book on identifying edible plants and the like.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
GrJackass
Night Man

i really want to try to get a rifle of some sorts, but getting a gun license in NYC is exceedingly difficult from what i hear, i really should get on top of that... i was just gonna get a crossbow... but i didnt even bother listing it above because it seems like it would just be a waste of space. but any way! if i do end up getting a license thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

and lol at the makeshift flame thrower. that is some good mcguyver knowledge :p
Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
The zombies won't know what burned them.
And unless you burn their head clean off you've now got flaming zombies running at you :p.

A good rope is one of the most useful things you will ever take with you. Also a plastic sheet of some kind - good for making into a makeshift tent fast/increasing waterproofing if you're making a bivoac (staying dry can be exceptionally important if you're in extreme circumstances), and also if you make a hole and place this in it, it can catch substantial amount of rainwater - good if you're going to be short of water.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Flint can be used to make fires if you don't have/run out of matches.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Advice on the dehydrated food, whether you're roleplaying or whether you're doing this for real: you don't have to worry about carrying too much on your person. You can carry that week's worth with you but you can/should also either:

(a) put a ton of preserved food in a bunker, assuming you have a bunker; or else
(b) put the preserved food in airtight sealed containers (be they bags or boxes or what) and store/bury them in various locations

Regardless, in a real end-times scenario, you're going to have to procure fresh food on your own at some point. But I figured it'd be worth pointing out that you needn't quit collecting once you reach your quota of, say, one week's worth of vacuum-sealed fruits and animal jerkies.

This is more of a luxury item than a strict necessity, but to go with that winter sleeping bag you might want one of those [I forget the name]s that you inflate and place under the sleeping bag such that you don't feel like you are sleeping on top of rocks because you LOL literally are sleeping on a mountainside. (Personal experience! Was a rough night!)

I didn't see mention of a pan. A pan is invaluable not only for cooking food but also for convenient sterilization of water. "Water filtration kit" and "military water flask," I don't know all the details, but a pan will serve you double duty. Pan + canteen to store it in = how they did water back in the day, right? Anyway, like I said, it's also good for cooking. If the "military water flask" covers this, then whatever, but I would still think a proper pan might be preferable to something for which the primary duty is potable water storage. (Where are you going to put that excess potable water, for instance, when you want to cook? Sounds like you'd have to use it and dump the rest, meaning every time you cooked you'd be back to zero potable water and would have to do all the filtration stuff again.) But like I say, I don't know the details, so meh.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but how about a dog whistle? It won't alert others to your presence but you can use it to deliberately alert wild dogs to your presence, either with the intent of (a) domesticating one if it's only just feral and not terribly wild or else (b) killing them for food. I dunno, might be a stretch. Likewise, I don't know if it comes in spray or packet form (never gone deer hunting), but you could try and find deer musk to attract deer. Obviously DO NOT GET ANY ON YOURSELF but smear some on trees and wait. Food will come.

I have no idea what good a net would be other than for catching fish, but holy shit would I think it would be an easy way to catch river fish. Step 1: find ~5 to ~10-foot deep creek. Step 2: cast net from bank to bank w/ use of stakes to keep it sturdily upright (like a table tennis net). Step 3: go collect your dinner. Step 4: Put net away for future use.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I didn't see mention of a pan. A pan is invaluable not only for cooking food but also for convenient sterilization of water. "Water filtration kit" and "military water flask," I don't know all the details, but a pan will serve you double duty. Pan + canteen to store it in = how they did water back in the day, right? Anyway, like I said, it's also good for cooking. If the "military water flask" covers this, then whatever, but I would still think a proper pan might be preferable to something for which the primary duty is potable water storage. (Where are you going to put that excess potable water, for instance, when you want to cook? Sounds like you'd have to use it and dump the rest, meaning every time you cooked you'd be back to zero potable water and would have to do all the filtration stuff again.) But like I say, I don't know the details, so meh.
i guess "flask" wasent the correct word but i was thinking a long the lines of This where the bottom half can be used as a cup and can be used to make a stew. but yea perhaps a proper pan is in order.

but as for everything else, i was honestly not expecting to get so many good ideas tossed at me this quickly, thank you everyone who contributed so far
Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ahh, that is neat. Depending on what it's made from you might not even need a pan. One advantage to something like that is high volume to low exposed surface area. This ought to mean that, if that sort of metal is meant to be exposed to open flames (and seeing as you're saying it's a military-grade flask, then I don't doubt that it is, but it's worth double-checking all the same), the thing you just showed me would be better for bringing water to a boil than a pan if the intent is sterilizing the water to make it potable: because you'll bring it to the same temperature either way but you're going to lose a lot less water doing it with something designed like that (huge volume to low surface area) versus a pan like I was thinking.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wait, a frying pan? How are you going to sterilize water with that? I've heard of boiling water to sterilize it, but I don't see how a frying pan would be time economical for that sort of thing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's not a conventional Teflon frying pan, Doppel. It's the sort of pan you'd see people trekking on the Colorado River in the 19th Century using. Pan, pot, metal dish, call it what you will. In concept, it's very similar to what Gr posted. Only difference is the shape. It's not nearly as shallow as you're thinking, though it's still less volume-to-top-surface-area favorable than the thing Gr showed me earlier.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The general rule of thumb is to only carry something if it has at least 3 uses, otherwise it might not be efficient to carry. Weight leads to fatigue, which is never a good thing in a survival situation whether you are being chased by zombies or are lost in the wilderness. The exception to the rule is if the object is an absolute necessity i.e. water.

Oddly enough, a bandana is considered a good survival tool. It works as a wrap around your head to protect you from the sun. You can use it to cover your nose and mouth in bad weather. It can be cooked into char cloth and used as tinder for starting a future fire. It can help as a poor water filter to get out some particles. And it can be used as a makeshift bandage if necessary.

Mirrors are considered extremely useful as a long range communication. A shimmering mirror is unmistakeable as a sign of someone in trouble. If it has a parabolic curve in it, it could also be used to light fires, although this requires a lot of conditions to be right, like a sunny day and such.

Sewing kits are very good for long term survival. Repairing clothing can be vital when trekking through rough terrain. In addition, you might need to suture yourself. :x

A fishing line and hook are extremely lightweight and can help you hunt for food.

Duct Tape is almost seen as a universally helpful tool, even in survival. The fact that it is waterproof and extremely adhesive allows it to function as a way to fix broken objects, possibly build a boat, or work as another type of bandage. People even go so far as to tape it around a more useful item- like a pen, to make it more compact and functional.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Oliver101
Thunder Badge

Zombies? What zombies?

I will lead the Ghost Gym. Find me at the Forgotten Sanctuary...

Click my squad to meet them and see my stats!
Thanks Celebii151! Awesome userbar, Pengy!
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Haxorus is probably my favourite squad member right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphapupQuicksilver View Post
Is that because you can yell at him like a Drill Sergeant?
Quote:
It's because it's a heavily armoured dragon with swords on its face.
Oliver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
Loki

The ones made after those riots went so ugly the government dropped a nuke on them, turning them into every hungry zombies.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #17
Oliver101
Thunder Badge

Porygon-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver101 View Post
^Issa link.

Containing a gun that you can use to ask, "What zombies?"

Because bullet-spam.

I will lead the Ghost Gym. Find me at the Forgotten Sanctuary...

Click my squad to meet them and see my stats!
Thanks Celebii151! Awesome userbar, Pengy!
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Haxorus is probably my favourite squad member right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphapupQuicksilver View Post
Is that because you can yell at him like a Drill Sergeant?
Quote:
It's because it's a heavily armoured dragon with swords on its face.
Oliver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver101 View Post
^Issa link.

Containing a gun that you can use to ask, "What zombies?"

Because bullet-spam.
My gun is better.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Loki

Generally guns are a big liability in the zombie survival scenario. While it's good to have one, anything that makes a loud noise is automatically going to attract unwanted attention. In addition, a rapid fire gun could lead to a shooting frenzy, which is more problems. While you are mindlessly shooting at hordes of zombies, more will find a way to get you with your attention focused on the simple joy of shooting. Ammo is precious and limited in a zombie apocalypse scenario and requires precision shooting for the most efficient use of ammo.

In an alien invasion, it is difficult to know what would or would not work. Depending on their technology, we could be use an automatic gun or it could end up being a useless pee shooter.

In a hunting scenario, an automatic rifle is also inefficient. While it might help against a possible predatory attack, as a way to kill an animal, you really should use one shot-one kill mentality. A bow or crossbow is the most efficient hunting tool since you can recollect the arrows/bolts after taking down the prey, but won't necessarily kill every shot. They're also extremely silent and leads to less attraction from possible enemies like zombies or aliens or crazed humans.

I know you can argue that the rifles can be set from full auto and semi-auto, the option is typically a big temptation and could create more problems then it could solve.

Last edited by Loki; 08-12-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Pfft. That's Small Fry.

This is a REAL Gun

Also, don't forget toilet paper.

Last edited by unownmew; 08-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
A nice revolver should really get the job done. A nice one too, maybe something that uses a .22 Long Rifle. Just take some shooting classes and always aim for the head :P Of course you COULD go for a more powerful one, say a .327 Federal Magnum. Just released in 2008. But the muzzle blast and recoil....whoa. Somewhere in the middle you have .45 GAP.

(using the ammo here because that's what actually matters, pick any gun you like that can fire the cartridge you want)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #22
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Toilet paper is for pussies.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
My pack would contain(is not and probably will never be complete):

Handgun, most likely a standard issue pistol
Med-kit
Edible Plant book
Some preseved(like can goods, and maybe some dry stuff, like cereal)
Cellphone
Flashlight, prefeably one that does not require batteries
Toilet Paper
Matches
and maybe other sutff, IDK

But I would bring a cellphone, as they are really handy. You never know where there is going to be service, but there has to be somewhere. Right?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #24
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
You honestly don't need to bring food. Just eat earthworms. bigger game if available of course but those will easily do in an emergency. Load of other insects you can very safely eat, too.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #25
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
You honestly don't need to bring food. Just eat earthworms. bigger game if available of course but those will easily do in an emergency. Load of other insects you can very safely eat, too.
Eh...would depend. Earthworms eat a lot of ths soil, so any contaminants will be in there system. And some food is needed, it is usally a good idea to hunt most of the time. Though, some back up food is good to have on hand.

Also, a roadmap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc