UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Civilization 4 and Civilization 5

I fixed my Internet and I'm ready to play Civ 4 with anyone who wants to spend some ungodly long hours playing with me! What difficulty do you normally play single player on? I can beat it on Monarch, but I find Emperor difficult.

Also discuss Civ V here. Coming in September. No more stacks of doom!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I have the game but I suck. I can beat Warlord lol.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I like Civ but I suck at it and Civ 4 is weird.

I like Civ 3.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

BABA YUTEI YUTAEH A SHIMOUNTA BLA BLA BLA BLA.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

My attention span wanes pretty quickly in single player, so I rarely finish games against the AI. My difficulty level is probably Noble or Prince. I am always up for a good long multiplayer game though.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Civ 3 is good, but Civ 4 is superior in every way. Civ 2 is the most overrated, so many nostalgia goggles wearing people proclaim it as the best.

dosuser, we can set something up next weekend.

Baba Yetu is a very good song!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just spent the last half hour reading up on Civilization 5 (on their main website, and on video game review websites as well). And I came across an interesting, telling observation about Sid's move from squares to hexes:

Granted, this kind of scenario is (a) not too threatening, since you can always place your own defending units in next-door hex tiles; and (b) it's not too common, since (mid-to-endgame, when you really start invading people) most of your invading forces have at least 2+ attack range or movement anyway; but still. It's somewhat telling of Sid's true intentions with Civ5.

On the one hand, he keeps saying he wants to make it so that players can beat the game in ways that don't require militancy. On the other hand, there is no denying that hexes offer the invading force a clear advantage over the defending force, especially when (as in Civ5) you cannot stack multiple units on the same tile.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
The Morg

Mcsweeney, what's a good day and time to start our game? I should be pretty flexible if there's going to be Civ involved!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I just spent the last half hour reading up on Civilization 5 (on their main website, and on video game review websites as well). And I came across an interesting, telling observation about Sid's move from squares to hexes:
You needed a .jpeg to tell you that hexes have more sides than squares?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I work night shift, so I'm available from about 9:00 PM to 3:00 PM. I too can be flexible if that doesn't work for you. How about Saturday?

Talon, I didn't know you were into the Civilization! Want to join us? Do you have Beyond the Sword?

Also, it's not accurate to say SID is making those changes. They've got a cocky new kid leading development now, Jon Shafer. I'm not worried though, I maintain that every new incarnation of Civilization has been superior to the previous one. I went back and played the original Civilization recently, and, retro charm aside, UGH. Moving individual units manually across vast railroad lines is a nightmare!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm not really into Civ all that much. It takes way too much time, and I'm generally the loser (against the AI or IRL friends), so it's not very fun. If I won at least some of the time, maybe, but ... sorry, I'll pass. ^^;
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #12
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Understandable. Civ 4 is an extremely complicated game, in order to play at a high level you have to learn a ridiculous amount of rules and gameplay mechanics in order to maximize your empire. Lots of tedious micromanagement too (automating any task is a no-no). I could probably beat Emperor if I spent a really long time analyzing every move I make, and carefully checking each city every single turn to make sure they're doing exactly what I want them to do, but a lot of times I'm just too lazy and click "end turn" and make my worker, umm, whatever, build a mine here I guess.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm interested but it looks expensive.

I played two army-building BBMMRTS called Travian and The Last Knights, but they were free and Civ is not. XO

Maybe if someone gets one of those "free" games off of Steam I can buy it off someone from Forumwarz.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #14
The Morg

If you mean 9:00 AM on Saturday, I'll definitely be here.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That's great then, let's set it at 9:00 AM Saturday. What time zone, though? I'm in Mountain Time. Do you have Windows Live (MSN Messenger)? If not I guess we could just communicate with PMs to set it up.

Also, what kind of game should we play? Should we compete against each other or team up?

Dopple, if you can find it, make sure you also get the Beyond the Sword expansion. No need for the Warlords one since BtS includes it.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
The Morg

I sent you a PM.

Teams are ok if we do a lot of strategy planning and collaboration, otherwise everyone just does their own thing and it doesn't achieve much.

We could always maintain peace while we beat down the AI players and then turn on each other later, or try for some surprise diplomatic/cultural/space race victory. =3=
Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
The Morg

Awesome game. (Magenta = Mcsweeney, Purple = Morg)

Some AI player boxed me in at the start, delaying me enough to be a full era of technology behind Mcsweeney for most of the game. However, my glorious dominion fought hard against his invading force, and stood to the very end. I even destroyed his mobile artillery with a swordsman! Mcsweeney won a domination victory with 90% of the word population and 66% of the landmass. The total time was 8 hours and 28 minutes.

We definitely need to do this again sometime =3=
Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
McSweeney
Soul Badge

That continent to the far right also capitulated to be my vassal.

Invading Morg took longer than I had anticipated, despite the fact that I had vastly superior technology (tanks and mobile artillery vs largely medieval era units, with the occasional WW2 infantryman). I even had an aircraft carrier off the coast bombing his cities.

First of all, I wasn't used to fighting real live human beings and the clever tricks they pull, as opposed to the predictable AI. He also has a weird style of building his cities very far apart, so I couldn't move quickly from city to city as I'm accustomed to doing. What's more, he never chops down trees, which meant I had to go through all these forests which seriously slowed down my tanks. I'd drop paratroopers into the wilderness and they still had to walk 5 squares to get to the enemy city! However, since he had a railroad, he could easily move through the forests and sometimes re-capture the cities that I had poorly defended. Yes, that swordsman defeating mobile artillery was something else. That sort of thing happened all the time in older Civilization games (spearman beating battleship was an especially notorious case), but these days it's very rare!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #19
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
Civ 3 is good, but Civ 4 is superior in every way. Civ 2 is the most overrated, so many nostalgia goggles wearing people proclaim it as the best.
Clearly, Colonization was the best. Freakin' redcoats.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #20
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I never played that. I did play Alpha Centauri though, which I put above Civ 2 but below Civ 3, although it's better than Civ 3 in some ways. The unit workshop for example is great, you can make all kinds of novel units with it. You can use terraformers to shape the land in any way you wish, much moreso than Civilization workers. Finally, planet busters are truly terrifying weapons of mass destruction (nukes are wimpy by comparison).

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Up for another game on Saturday, same time? Can you handle Prince difficulty? I find Noble to be too much of a joke. That's why I was able to steamroll my two neighbours so easily. If your two friends come along again, we can play Hubs like they wanted.

I may not go for a domination victory next time. My turns took so long because I was constantly at war. I just can't help myself sometimes! I love rockin' people.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So how is Civ 5, Mcsweeney?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Pretty good. They changed more than I expected. It's less complex but deeper. Less micro more macro. They streamlined lots of nitpicky little rules from Civ IV. The combat is a big improvement and forces you to think more tactically instead of DURR make 50 riflemen in one huge stack and throw them against the city. A navy is actually important for once!

However, there's loads of problems too. The AI is ABYSMAL, especially at combat, which makes the game much easier. I've only done two playthroughs and I'm already up to Emperor difficulty (it took me several years to reach Emperor in Civ IV). Hell I'll probably beat that on the first try too, since I've never even come close to losing yet. Also, as I predicted, there's loads of bugs, so you shouldn't bother buying it yet until they patch it. How did I predict that? Because they obviously never fired the piss poor play testing team from Civ IV. That game had to be patched like 10 times, and it was actually comical how LONG the list of fixes were for each patch. I don't understand how I can notice like 15 really obvious bugs on my very first playthrough, that somehow eluded the whole TEAM OF PROFESSIONAL PLAY TESTERS.

The interface is kind of awkward too. You're forced to click with the mouse a lot instead of quickly using the keyboard. This makes my playthroughs take a lot longer. In Civ IV, I got so good at playing quickly that I was getting my single player games down to about 5 hours. Who knows, maybe I just need more practice.

It's a good game, and it's still playable, but I'm going to put it down until they patch it, way too many annoying things going on at the moment.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #24
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
That game had to be patched like 10 times, and it was actually comical how LONG the list of fixes were for each patch. I don't understand how I can notice like 15 really obvious bugs on my very first playthrough, that somehow eluded the whole TEAM OF PROFESSIONAL PLAY TESTERS.
Given the complexity of an average Civ game, I'm guessing they were only able to get through so many bugs before the QA team started drinking heavily to make the hurting stop.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #25
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I think Morg will like this game, because it suits his playing style very well.

Builds very few cities - This is a valid strategy in Civ V, because large empires have unhappiness problems. By the way, you don't have to micro every individual city for happiness anymore, it's one empire wide number now. Unhealthiness is completely gone. Also, having a smaller empire makes it easier to unlock social policies, which are the new civics.

Builds his cities far apart - This is also fine, because cities can work a HUGE number of tiles now (three hexes out). The corruption penalty of having cities far away from the capital is gone too.

Is lazy with improving tiles - Workers aren't as crucial anymore, because it takes SOOOOO long to expand a city's borders. If you can't wait for natural expansion via culture, you can also buy tiles with cash, but this is usually a rip off. You also can't spam roads everywhere anymore, because they cost 1 gold per turn in maintenance. Railroads cost an additional gold per turn.

Wages wars that literally last for millenia - War weariness is gone. No need for those "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banners anymore!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 09-28-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games