Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #126
Jonouchi
Boulder Badge

Re: The Secret Time Out Files Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
You say that as if you're being sagely, but the laughable truth of the matter is that originality does not intrinsically mean quality.
True, but if you're bad at being original, then you're not original: You just suck.

Quote:
Oh well. All this negativity must make people think I hate the game more than Stalin. Truth is, I do enjoy the game. I just hate how people treat it like the second coming of Christ with Philadelphia Cream Cheese on top. The game is good, but it's not that good.
Then just say: "I love the game, but it's not as good as some make it out to be," without the pointless ranting. =)

Quote:
I think it would do the world good if every political situation, from an international hostage to the breakout of a war, could be solved by a one-on-one Wii Boxing with the nation's leaders. ~DonutTrooper from Gamespot.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #127
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I don't own nor have I played SSBB, but this is what I feel I should say.

SSB was simply a basic, fun 'fighter'. Fighter is used as a pretty loose term. The problem I have with other fighters is that it requires an insane amount of skill in terms of timing and hitting the right combination of buttons and this hassle and that hassle. Yes, it's fun. But it's very aggravating when you just want to have fun but keep getting your ass handed to you on a silver platter. Defeat followed by defeat is a big hit on morale. While you can argue that you should play more and get your skill up, that's really not possible at certain points. Newbies vs. Skilled Veterans is like constantly being 1HKOed. There's no room for training when the second you breath, someone has knocked the breath out of you. Now you could find people your own skill level, but that requires going all over the place looking for someone who sucks as bad as you, then you have to test yourself against them, then you have to slowly learn things and compete with one another to get your skills high. Then hopefully you'll be good enough to face other people and train with them as well, because if you keep fighting the same person, you'll just simply learn to counter their habits, not their actual skills. Sounds like a lot of dedication and skill.

Meanwhile, SSB series erases a lot of that. In my opinion, if you don't like it, simply stop seeing it as a tournament fighter and look at it as though it is a party game, like Mario Party. The skill level for the game is considerably lower than your regular fighter and the random aspects give lower skill level players a slightly better chance at a possible win. It's entirely possible that a semi-newbie can win some fights against a seasoned pro. This might be rare, but it's easily not something that kills your morale. And the fun aspects keeps it entertaining regardless of winning or losing.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #128
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Well, I still think if it is most fun it is the best fighter ever. But what is fun is a matter of opinion. Calling anything the best is usually generalizing, but we don't usually act all pedantic towards those who do. Guess that doesn't apply here.

Man, some people are just bad with analogies.

Anyway, yeah, I'm psyched for Brawl. Only thing that sucks for me now is the wait.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #129
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

This is Talon.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #130
Talon87
時の彼方へ

*speechless*
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #131
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Making a comment between project-finishing and listening to a couple more Brawl tracks (I'd actually be just as content buying the soundtrack as I would the game itself; it's that good IMO).

Speaking of things that are "that good," I agree, Talon, that SSBB is a bit overhyped and overrated. When you're comparing it to things like Guilty Gear, it's not like it's a whole lot meatier. In fact, the people who mainly spit all the stuff about Brawl/Melee being the Holy Grail of all games are the people who sit and pick at it's physics, finding little tricks and glitches to exploit to make the game deeper than originally intended. Truthfully, I think that the biggest difference is that what makes the game "deep" are silly little details which aren't even intentionally added. I mean, things like Guilty Gear and whatnot have these kinds of details, but their intentionally added and easier to learn, making it hard for the casual gamer to really compete with the glitch-exploiting big boys.

So, in conclusion, if you're going to make a comparison between a classic fighter that people play Tourney style and Brawl based on deepness, they're both pretty deep, though Brawl's deepness is mostly unintentional. Even with that, it doesn't completely match up with some Tourney fighters.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM   #132
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Brawls soundtrack in one word would be inconsistant. It's got a couple of my favorite tunes that I'd never have imagined I'd be seeing (K.K. Condor, Tal Tal Heights), but there's a ton of stuff that should have been there that isn't/shouldn't have been there that is. Pokémon in paticular is horribly represented. They got the classic themes in there, then just shoved in a bunch of horrible DP music, and the worst track from RS. Where's Ever Grande? Where's Oceanic Museum? WHERE IS ROUTE ONE TWO THREE, THE MOST AWESOME ROUTE MUSIC EVER? Zelda's also pretty badly treated, with the horrible medleys and like RS, they chose one of the worst songs to represent the game with the best soundtrack in the franchise. SONG OF HEALING. MAKE IT SO. Also, whenever that stupid man starts talking over the start of the otherwise good selection of Metroid tracks, well, RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Also, I'm annoyed that they got some other 3rd party tunes like Golden Sun, but no OBJECTION! medley, but that's a minor quibble compared to the rest.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #133
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The more I discuss Brawl on UPN, the more I recognize that I am not Brawl's typical fan.

Personally, I was happy with the Zelda music because they chose what I consider to be one of the best, if not the best, Zelda melodies ever: the Gerudo Valley theme as Ganondorf's theme. The first time I ever heard that in Ocarina of Time, I was completely thrown for a loop by how "romantically desperado" it sounded. It was fantastic foreshadowing for how the Gerudo would prove to be not the villains we had been seeing them as up until that point.

I agree that the Pokemon music selections are lacking, but I don't know that I would have personally selected music from any but the original games. Aside from the end credits' music from 3rd gen (a-ma-zing, so much so that they incorporated it into the bike music for Gen 4! Making a once timeless tune grate on my nerves! *eyebrow twitch*), Pokemon's not really had any memorable music beyond Gen 1. Celadon City? Lavender Town? Surfing? Biking? All the melodies from the first game are just so engrained in my mind, even though I've logged more hours in 3rd gen than I did in 1st. I think I may have logged more hours in Pearl than I did in Pokemon Red. But none of the new music is worth celebrating to me. You know what I would have loved to have seen in Brawl? The music in this video. One of the best "pumps me up" songs in the franchise. And you have your choice of "Go! Pikachu! It's Battle Time!" or the similar-sounding "Pokemon Battlefield." I would have also loved to have seen the "Gym Battle Theme" from the original games. Perhaps bits and pieces of these songs are found in the universal Pokemon Battle Stadium music they've got going in SSBB, but I would have liked the stand-alone tracks looped and have had the choice between them when playing matches on the Pokemon Stadium battlefield.

Question: what reasons are there for Brits to not import the American SSBB? Is it region-locked? It sounds like Zora's gotten his hands on at least one American retail copy of Brawl, but I'm wondering why others haven't. Considering how weak the US Dollar is these days ... you could buy two copies of SSBB for what I had to pay to get just one.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #134
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Question: what reasons are there for Brits to not import the American SSBB? Is it region-locked? It sounds like Zora's gotten his hands on at least one American retail copy of Brawl, but I'm wondering why others haven't. Considering how weak the US Dollar is these days ... you could buy two copies of SSBB for what I had to pay to get just one.
Yes, it's region locked, and the Wii freeloader hasn't come out yet. Although it is due this month.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #135
Lee-san
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo
Quote:
Yes, it's region locked, and the Wii freeloader hasn't come out yet. Although it is due this month.
Actually the Freeloader is out now.
The only thing that's keeping me from importing is the online play, since I'd probably have to connect to the American servers, which would result in pretty high latency.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #136
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Site I check hasn't put theirs out yet. Link?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #137
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Um... Talon, isn't the music in that video from Melee?

Well, I heard the Brawl-remastafied music from Pokemon. Mostly classic stuff. Hearing epic pokemon center cracked me up.

I have an american Wii, so I have to import it.

I pre-ordered it and it was just shipped today. Should be in France in a week or two.

Thing is, I'm probably gonna get screwed again.

My mom lives in France now, while I'm in Norway. And since France doesn't have ridiculous 100% tax on stuff you order into it, I order my stuff to France.

Now, thing is, last time I ordered, which was 4 games, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Trauma Center: New Blood, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. 200 bucks it turned out to be with everything. And it arrived in France, all nice and dandy. But because we couldn't pick it up the moment it arrived. It was lost. Probably stolen, as they had an investigation and everything. We don't even get a refund or anything, since there was no insurance on it.

Yeah. Now, this means I have to wait for those four games for well, a couple more months. My stepfather's gonna be in US maybe soon, so I guess I'll get those there.

On the other hand, because of the wait, I get to buy one DS game in Norway, parents are nice. Overpriced stuff, but I'm buying a used copy of Meteos, since I lost mine.

Meteos, awesome game. Get it now.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #138
Lee-san
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo
Site I check hasn't put theirs out yet. Link?
http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B ... 881&sr=8-1

Amazon's got it ;p
Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #139
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

So, there's finally a Mamoswine Card out in Japan. The only problem is the art is fugly. Give me a second Mamswine card Japan plx.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #140
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Don't complain of ugly TCG art and submit that image, Zora. -_-; That image isn't even half bad! Take one look at the Chikorita and Hoppip TCG art and you'll see what I mean. I seriously wish that Nintendo's Japanese TCG branch would quit taking submissions from children and would pressure Sugimori and others to pump out more variations of their sexy official art.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #141
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

There are at least 6 Hoppip and 8 Chikorita cards. Narrow it down a bit.

Also, Yuka Morii should illustrate every card ever.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #142
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All of the Hoppip, the final 5 of the 6 Chikorita. (And the first Chikorita was basically the official GS art for Chikorita plastered onto a card. She was still tan in body color back then! )

Link to a Yuka Morii sample please?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #143
Jonouchi
Boulder Badge

Some samples

Quote:
I think it would do the world good if every political situation, from an international hostage to the breakout of a war, could be solved by a one-on-one Wii Boxing with the nation's leaders. ~DonutTrooper from Gamespot.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #144
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh no. D: I dislike those clay model ones. D:
Old 03-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #145
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

...Bla?...
...Guh?....
...Don't,...like....Yuka Morii!??!

GET OUT OF MY TO TALON!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #146
Torkoal Stu
This

Chikorita has some good arts, like this and this for example (or a least in my opinion). So I really don't see the problem with Chikorita, but Hoppip yeah...I agree there.

The clay model ones can be nice for some Pokemon, it depends really. It works for Aron.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #147
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I HATE Stu's first link. One of my all time LEAST favorites. He couldn't have picked a worse one to call "one of the best." :x

As for the second one, yeah, I like that one a lot.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #148
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

BEST. HOPPIP ARTWORK. EVAR.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #149
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

I like both of Stu's links, and its kinda hard to make Chikorita look bad lol

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Old 03-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #150
Jonouchi
Boulder Badge

Quote:
I HATE Stu's first link. One of my all time LEAST favorites. He couldn't have picked a worse one to call "one of the best." :x

As for the second one, yeah, I like that one a lot.
I like the first image.

Surely it can't be as bad as this...

Quote:
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out