UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Ikarishipping or Penguinshipping?
Ikarishipping 0 0%
Penguinshipping 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Frankly I'm more put off by your response than hers. This is no way to talk to a 12-year old.
I'm just talking to her like I'd talk to anyone who isn't literally a child(and I really wouldn't consider 13 years old that young.) Not entirely sure how precisely I've offended you (or, more importantly, her.)

Last edited by Rangeet; 01-23-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Rangeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
precita
Boulder Badge

Probably because when you're only 13, someone 5 years older is 18. When you're a kid age gaps are a major difference. An 18 year old dating a 13 year old is wrong (and illegal).

Obviously when you're 22 dating a 28 year old it doesn't make much of a difference. You need to think of the mindset of when you were a teenager, age gaps were a big thing back then.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
An 18 year old dating a 13 year old is wrong (and illegal).
In Sailor Moon, Usagi was 14 while Mamoru was 17. The grade difference was 8th Grade versus 10th Grade, which is less of a gap than what you've pointed out, but still considered to be acceptable.

Age gap disgust, I think, plays along the fear that a young woman is being exploited or manipulated by an older man. In most cases I rarely see people object to the young man/old woman situation in fiction, and it doesn't occur very often in nature either.

In that sense, satosere's objection does raise an eyebrow a few centimetres. It would be far creepier if we found out Iris was Adler's wife.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #29
satosere
Cascade Badge

I just realized that my grandma and grandpa have a huge age gap. Like, when my grandma was 10, my grandpa was 20. That freaks me out.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Settle down, boys. I think we're getting away from the real issue here.

And that issue is one man, one woman (or Pokemon). Why settle for a single ship, when you can ship them all?

Mmm, harem. So haram!
ASH'S CHIKORITA, YESSSSS. #otp
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #31
satosere
Cascade Badge

<3 <3 Ash's Chikorita has a crush on him from what I remember, right? <3 <3
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #32
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
ASH'S CHIKORITA, YESSSSS. #otp
Man I forgot how much I love VineShipping. When I was getting into shipping I found a couple decent fics of it (nothing creepy either, mostly involved Bayleef being anthropomorphised somehow) that were really nice and fuzzy.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #33
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post

Man I forgot how much I love VineShipping. When I was getting into shipping I found a couple decent fics of it (nothing creepy either, mostly involved Bayleef being anthropomorphised somehow) that were really nice and fuzzy.
Vineshipping isn't Ash/Chikorita....Vineshipping is the name for Ash and May's Bulbasaur:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...g:VineShipping
Old 01-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #34
satosere
Cascade Badge

Pokemon + human shippings= pretty strange
Old 01-26-2016, 02:45 AM   #35
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
The only reason people shipped Paul with Dawn is because they were the first two DP characters revealed (Dawn and Paul were on the promotional materials, Paul debuts in the third episode of DP), and the other characters didn't come later.
This explains... So much... Thanks for the history! ^_^

Quote:
Drew's rivalry with May still helped her grow as a trainer and character, even if you don't like the ship. And honestly Drew lost a lot of his arrogance as AG progressed.
Be gentle with Dave, he's an Advanceshipper, he still has flashbacks of The Great Flame Wars. ;o

Quote:
Settle down, boys. I think we're getting away from the real issue here.

And that issue is one man, one woman (or Pokemon). Why settle for a single ship, when you can ship them all?

Mmm, harem. So haram!
Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
(<3)

Quote:
You need to think of the mindset of when you were a teenager, age gaps were a big thing back then.
'geetchan is still technically a teenager, it's more just that he's had a very different outlook from the get-go.

Blessings of pure and free love upon all the beauteous beings of realms both near and far~<3<3<3
That includes you, Bayleaf~
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #36
Mercutio
Banned

Meh. Human plus animal shipping is pretty strange (I would argue).

Pokémon plus human shipping is no stranger than 10-year old animé child with 10-year old animé child shipping. Either way it's really quite creepy if you think about it.

My advice: don't call ships other people like weird
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #37
precita
Boulder Badge

Even though the human main cast in Pokemon are 10, they're all written and look like early teenagers around 13-14 years old. They've never looked or acted like 10 year olds. The fact that we have little kids on the group like Max and Bonnie make it seem like Ash and co. are even older.

The girls especially are all drawn to look like teenage girls. Look at Serena compared to Bonnie, they're only 2 years apart in canon yet Serena looks like she's about 14. May had people in disbelief that she was 10 for years.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #38
Mercutio
Banned

Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post

Pokémon plus human shipping is no stranger than 13-year old animé child with 13-year old animé child shipping. Either way it's really quite creepy if you think about it.

Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #39
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Vineshipping isn't Ash/Chikorita....Vineshipping is the name for Ash and May's Bulbasaur:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...g:VineShipping
I dunno it was like 8 years ago but I'm pretty sure it was called VineShipping then.

Spoilers: I don't actually care anymore.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #40
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post

Pokémon plus human shipping is no stranger than 10-year old animé child with 10-year old animé child shipping. Either way it's really quite creepy if you think about it.

Hey, what are you sniffing, kush.

It sounds like you're equating shipping humans and Pokemon with beastiality. It's actually not creepy at all.

Pokemon are waaay sexier than dogs.

Quote:
Even though the human main cast in Pokemon are 10, they're all written and look like early teenagers around 13-14 years old. They've never looked or acted like 10 year olds. The fact that we have little kids on the group like Max and Bonnie make it seem like Ash and co. are even older.

The girls especially are all drawn to look like teenage girls. Look at Serena compared to Bonnie, they're only 2 years apart in canon yet Serena looks like she's about 14. May had people in disbelief that she was 10 for years.
I can agree with this. Brock is supposed to be 18, but when he stands next to Ash you get the sense he's only a few years older. Not eight years older, which makes it ridiculous a 10-year old could inspire battle-hardened Brock to abandon the Pewter City Gym.

It definitely feels like the age tails curve inward. Ash/Misty are closer to 13/14, while Brock is closer to 16.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #41
Heather
Naga's Voice

>Ash seeming older than 10

I can see that in later series as its actual canon by that point, but in Indigo? Ash was hella ten year old. Need I remind you of why I refuse to ship Ash with anyone: His Indigo League quote in response to Misty asking him if love was important to him: "Not more important than catching Pokemon." Not only that, but in his mannerisms in general: being incredibly reckless, easily led on (you know Team Rocket proves this), and so forth.

>Brock is 18

...WHAT. Gonna level with you guys: I always felt that his Gym Leader position, extensive knowledge, and maturity (outside of, of course, the hopeless romantic bit), pegged him in at least his early 20s. Perhaps there might also be the fact that for a long time I considered relationships to be a thing for after college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #42
satosere
Cascade Badge

I always thought the so called 10 year olds looked older than 10. Ok, let's take May, who could be easily be mistaken as a short 15 year old, is said to be 10. Ugh.

Where does it say that (in canon) Brock is 18, or that Serena and Bonnie are two years apart?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #43
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post

>Brock is 18

...WHAT. Gonna level with you guys: I always felt that his Gym Leader position, extensive knowledge, and maturity (outside of, of course, the hopeless romantic bit), pegged him in at least his early 20s. Perhaps there might also be the fact that for a long time I considered relationships to be a thing for after college.[/COLOR]
You're way off, Brock is supposed to be 15 according to Takeshi Shudo who wrote the series bible when the anime started in Kanto. He's only 5 years older than Ash/Misty at the start of the show.

I don't know why you would think he's that old, he acts exactly like most 15 year old boys who want a girlfriend. Many teenage boys act exactly like Brock.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #44
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Five years is still a pretty big age difference at that point in life. It's the difference between solid adolescent (14-16) and basically little kid (8-10). The criticism largely remains, except the Brock isn't legal if he's 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
I always thought the so called 10 year olds looked older than 10. Ok, let's take May, who could be easily be mistaken as a short 15 year old, is said to be 10. Ugh.

Where does it say that (in canon) Brock is 18, or that Serena and Bonnie are two years apart?
Both May and Serena have breasts in the official art I've seen. Well, in May's case, what was presented here in the topic. By comparison, May's chest looks enormous, while Serena's is simply noticeable.

I was going to make a big post complaining how XY Serena, age 16, looks considerably older than anime Serena, age 10, but using Talon's Rules the differences are insignificant to the point one could shrug them off as merely stylistic differences. Rather, it feels like Serena's appearance wasn't made to look younger from her game-anime transition. She just wasn't changed at all.

Given the anime tends to give most girls flat chests (like Dawn), this is strong evidence toward what precita is arguing (that the characters are really 14ish). The vast majority of 10 year old girls don't have prominent breasts. It happens, but that's more a function of population size than the norm.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 AM   #45
precita
Boulder Badge

The emphasis on Dawn's design was on her legs and skirt. Her chest is about the same as Misty's.

On the Sugimori game art, both May and Serena do have noticeable busts so this was likely carried over to the anime. The anime simply kept May and Serena close to the designs they were in the games.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #46
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
The emphasis on Dawn's design was on her legs and skirt. Her chest is about the same as Misty's.

On the Sugimori game art, both May and Serena do have noticeable busts so this was likely carried over to the anime. The anime simply kept May and Serena close to the designs they were in the games.
This might sound lame but the only Pokemon games I've played are HeartGold and Y. So I don't really know what the game version of May looks like. But I agree with you, precita, about Dawn lokking like Misty (chest wise)... She doesn't look completely flat.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON