UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kevin Clash (Elmo's puppeteer) controversy

Figured this could be a thread for discussing various aspects of this controversy. But first, funnily enough, I wanted to share this unrelated and amusing video from one month ago.

As for the controversy, the first paragraph of Wikipedia's article on Clash sums up the current situation nicely:

Quote:
Kevin Jeffrey Clash (born September 17, 1960) is an American puppeteer and voice actor whose characters included Elmo, Baby Sinclair, Clifford, Splinter and Hoots the Owl. Clash was Muppet Captain and a co-executive producer at Sesame Street. He resigned in 2012, after he and Sesame Workshop agreed that claims that Clash had engaged in sexual relationships with two underage men became a "distraction".
Further quoting Wikipedia:
Quote:
On November 12, 2012, Clash took a leave of absence from Sesame Workshop, after a 23-year-old man publicly alleged that he had been in a sexual relationship with Clash which began when the accuser was 16, placing him below the sexual age of consent in the state of New York. Sesame Workshop had initially been presented with the allegation in June, and its investigation found the allegation to be unsubstantiated; however, Clash was disciplined for violating company policy around Internet usage in the workplace. Clash issued a statement in which he confirmed that he is gay and acknowledged that he had been in a relationship with the accuser; however, he characterized the relationship as being between consenting adults.

On November 13, the accuser's lawyers, Andreozzi & Associates, released the following statement:
Quote:
"This office represented a 23-year-old man who was the subject of many media reports regarding Kevin Clash. He wants it to be known that his sexual relationship with Mr. Clash was an adult consensual relationship. He will have no further comment on the matter."
In response to the news, Clash released a statement through his publicist: "I am relieved that this painful allegation has been put to rest. I will not discuss it further." Sesame Workshop also released a statement: "We are pleased that this matter has been brought to a close, and we are happy that Kevin can move on from this unfortunate episode."

Reports suggest the accuser is Sheldon Stephens, a model with a criminal record.

On November 19, Sheldon Stephens again recanted, returning to his original claim of abuse. He also claimed that Clash had paid him US$125,000 to recant the first time, and that he was pressured into accepting the offer.

On November 20, a second man, Cecil Singleton, also made accusations of an underage relationship with Clash, and announced he was suing for $5 million. Clash resigned from Sesame Street after the second accuser's story broke. Jeff Herman, a Miami lawyer representing Singleton, has claimed that two other potential victims have also contacted him regarding Clash, and that he expects further legal action.

Sesame Street released a statement:
Quote:
Sesame Workshop’s mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert our attention from our focus on serving as a leading educational organization. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street. This is a sad day for Sesame Street.
Clash also released a statement, saying, "Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer. I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately."
So who knows, who knows. Very sad, very unfortunate if this man in his 50s was truly having sexual encounters with teenage boys. But at the same time one wonders if he's not just being accused by poor young adults desperate for money and not concerned with destroying a man's career like this. I'm sure we'll find out in the days ahead whether the accusers have solid evidence or not. From what I understand, after the second alleged victim spoke up, two more people announced plans to come forward too. So that's four different people accusing him of statutory rape. Doesn't look good.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I don't what to feel. On the one hand, I don't like how Clash was willing to risk the integrity of his important mission as a producer on Sesame Street by doing this. When one answers a greater calling, I can't imagine someone would do behaviour to jeopardize that. Same thing with the Petreas affair. I definitely know a big part of my nature plays into why I think like this and reduces my ability to empathize, but it's still puzzling.

The kids might be ruining this guy's life, but like in the Paterno case, individual human decency trumps the privileged. Better they step out now than more victims appear and suffer in silence because the masses would grant celebrities immunity from blame or prosecution.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm inclined to believe the accusers are lying.

Not quite sure what you mean about a "greater calling", however, Doppel.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Unfortunately I don't think it matters if the accuser is lying or not. It will tarnish is reputation forever.

Look at Michael Jackson. He was accused of pedophilia and it was bogus, but everyone still thought of him as one. Although, he was a weirdo.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
I'm inclined to believe the accusers are lying.
It's easier to buy when Clash admits he was in a sexual relationship with them. What could have happened was a consensual, under-aged encounter, which is still illegal.

Quote:

Not quite sure what you mean about a "greater calling", however, Doppel.
Greater calling refers to anything bigger than yourself, that you are a part of. Sesame Street strikes me as something that should be the most important thing in the lives of the people who develop its programming. A willingness to compromise that in any form is just puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Look at Michael Jackson. He was accused of pedophilia and it was bogus, but everyone still thought of him as one. Although, he was a weirdo.
I'm not so sure that one is legit, though.

Everyone wanted to believe Jackson was a pedophile because they couldn't otherwise rationalize his behaviour, since he didn't fit into any molds of how people in his situation were supposed to act. After he died, people came forward and admitted they made up the accusations, and Jackson isn't seen as a pedophile anymore.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Everyone wanted to believe Jackson was a pedophile because they couldn't otherwise rationalize his behaviour, since he didn't fit into any molds of how people in his situation were supposed to act. After he died, people came forward and admitted they made up the accusations, and Jackson isn't seen as a pedophile anymore.
Oh yeah. I'm sure Clash will be really happy after he dies. >_>;
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Clash's last yearly income was reportedly $12 million. This astonished me until my source clarified that that included royalties he collected from Elmo merchandise. If it turns out he made more than even $1 million via a CTW salary, however, I think that could be damaging for CTW's public image since they're always campaigning for public funding.

I bring this figure up because apparently the second accuser is suing for $5 million. That strikes me as ludicrous considering the man "only" made $12 million last year, and probably about the same on average (some years more, some years less) since the Tickle Me Elmo craze circa fifteen years ago, before which time Elmo didn't count for shit and Clash likely made a modest income of $35,000 to a more generous income of $70,000. Still, I doubt he was making a doctor's income before the mid-90s. So ... $12 million/year x 15 years = $180 million. So this guy wants $5 million or 1/36 of Clash's fortune -- and that would only be if you assume zero taxes and zero net losses via expenditures and such. In reality he probably only has ~$20 million of his estimated earnings over the past twenty years: and this plaintiff wants one-quarter of them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Why is it easier to buy when he admits to a consensual, adult relationship? I don't see how that makes it any more likely to have been statutory rape. If anything, it makes it look like (to me, anyway) a vengeful ex trying to cut a slice of what he doesn't deserve (or maybe feels entitled to) and tarnish the reputation of a beloved entertainer. Think about what, as mentioned, people said about Michael Jackson. Think about the vicious rumours that went around about Mister Rogers of all people.

As well, that does seem somewhat offensive, as just because he worked for Sesame Street does not in any way mean that his life has to be Sesame Street. And I am not sure how in any way having a sexual relationship between consenting adults would tarnish that, anyway.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Why is it easier to buy when he admits to a consensual, adult relationship?
Because he's established that contact happened in the first place. Most libelous cases of people accusing others of molestation (like in the Michael Jackson case) begin with a fictional encounter. I don't think it's outrageous to say that if A preceded C, saying B happened in between makes C seem a bit more plausible.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc