UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Who are you backing in 2008?

I haven't done research for the non-mainstream parties yet, but for Democrats, I'd pick Mike Gravel followed by John Edwards. I don't really like any of the Republican candidates right now; they're too lackluster.

And I absolutely hate Hillary and Obama. Most like Hillary because she's a woman, and they like Obama because he's black. Neither is worthy of the presidency at all - the first black president needs to be so over-accomplished no one can object to his initiation, as with the first female president.

Gravel reminds me a lot of Truman - small town, fiery, and with a lot of potential to do great things. Most of all, he's NOT AFRAID of the public, nor of making himself look bad. Like Truman, he doesn't have a ghost of a chance, but if he were to get into office things would be different. He's more liberal than I would like (and from Alaska, no less) but I doubt he'd pursue as many agenda issues as he's put stances on.

I feel sort of bad that I'm not some rich well-to-do fellow, elsewise I'd donate to his campaign.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Re: Who are you backing in 2008?

I'd vote for Hilary or Obama. I don't see why female or African American presidential would have to be overqualified, I think people just need to get themselves and acknowledge that no one of any race/gender/etc is perfect otherwise that will ALWAYS be an excuse to disclude people.
I don't really have a favorite at this point, I know no one who supports gay marriage is going to make it through their party's primary (at least for the Dems), and all Dems seem to be Pro-choice (which is my other issue), so...
All of the Republicans suck, I've heard that from both conservatives and liberals... Although they said Bush sucked, but now conservatives adore him, so who knows.
Kasumi Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Every candidate looks horrible.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I don't know enough about the candidates to really say anything, but I'd have to go for Mike Gravel, because the ONLY thing about Obama and Hillary is the fact that they are not white males. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the thought of a black dude or a woman being president, those two just don't seem that good. I am sure both of them are god-awful and the apocolypse would hit during their term.

Unfortunately, Hillary will probably win the whole thing though, because there are more bitches in the states than homies or serious voters.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumi Violet
I'd vote for Hilary or Obama. I don't see why female or African American presidential would have to be overqualified, I think people just need to get themselves and acknowledge that no one of any race/gender/etc is perfect otherwise that will ALWAYS be an excuse to disclude people.
The over-qualified issue is mandatory because if people are incompetent, like Hillary + Obama will most likely be, people can blame circumstance and not the individual. An inept minority in office only furthers the negative stereotypes of how "stupid" minorities are supposed to be - if they've got the skills, people can overlook "race" as a negative attribute of a person.

Obama isn't experienced enough to be President - he's basically a random black man, and his name-recognition is ONLY because he's black. Hillary has a far, far better resume, working with Bill throughout his Governorship, in the White House, AND with her own Senator tenure. I don't think that's enough, though, and Hillary's ambition has pissed off so many Conservatives she's a depreciating candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Nice, Namek.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

If we can just install the puppet strings and train up Bill in marionette maneuvers I'd support the puppet all the way. Bill is probably the best president we've had since Eisenhower, so a defacto third term would be nice.

If not, gObama. Giuliani scares the crap out of me, charismatic Republicans are never a good thing for the nation.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My two dream candidates (Schwarzenegger and Bill Clinton) are both impossibilities under the current law, so, *sigh*. I'd so vote for Arnold if I could. From all I can see and from all I've heard since leaving California, Arnold's really turned things around for the better. He knows what he's doing and, true to his word, can't be bought out by big money because he's already (a) a Kennedy by marriage and (b) filthy rich from all his cool movies. As for Clinton ... dude, I'd so vote Bill into office for a third term. Let's party like it's 1999! ;)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc