UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

Re: Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

MAL Synopsis: When Subaru Natsuki leaves the convenience store, the last thing he expects is to be wrenched from his everyday life and dropped into a fantasy world. Things aren't looking good for the bewildered teenager, however: not long after his arrival, he is attacked by some thugs; armed with only a bag of groceries and a now useless cell phone, he is quickly beaten to a pulp. Fortunately, a mysterious beauty named Satella, in hot pursuit after the one who stole her insignia, happens upon Subaru and saves him. In order to thank the honest and kindhearted girl, Subaru offers to help in her search, and later that night, he even finds the whereabouts of that which she seeks. But unbeknownst to them, a much darker force stalks the pair from the shadows, and just minutes after locating the insignia, Subaru and Satella are brutally murdered.

However, Subaru immediately reawakens to a familiar scene—confronted by the same group of thugs, meeting Satella all over again—the enigma deepens as history inexplicably repeats itself.

Characters
All character descriptions from MAL

Subaru "Barusu" Natsuki - On the way home from the convenience store, he suddenly finds himself transported into another world. He has the ability that he calls "Return by Death" to go back in time when he dies, with only himself and magical beings like Puck and Beatrice being aware of the reversal of time. Despite being a hikikomori and gamer in his real world, Subaru does a bit of workout and seems to know basic hand-to-hand combat, making him not completely weak.

Emilia - The main female protagonist. She is a silver-haired half-elf girl who is one of the candidates to become the next ruler in the royal election. Subaru first meets her when her insignia is stolen by Felt as she needs to possess it to be eligible to participate in the election. She has a magical creature named Puck, who resembles a cat, to assist her.

Rem & Ram - Rem is the blue haired twin maid working for Roswaal L Mathers. She tends to speak in a superficially polite manner and sometimes acts without thinking. Ram is the red haired twin maid working for Roswaal L Mathers. She is seemingly self centered and does things at her own pace, however, in actuality she maintains a distance from people to ascertain them.

Felt - A mysterious young mercenary girl who steals Emilia's insignia.

Roswaal - A Margrave as well as an Imperial Wizard and Count who is a benefactor and sponsor for Emilia's bid for the throne. He has strange appearance and voice that Subaru likens to a clown. He is a highly influential individual who is also one of Lugnica's powerful mages.

Beatrice - A mysterious mage who was hired by Roswald to keep his ancient magical tomes safe in his enormous library. She has the ability to warp any room in the mansion to this library whenever she chooses, but can't completely leave the mansion. She has a habit for ending her sentences with "kashira" (かしら, "I suppose").

...and many, many more.

Would link UPN previous episode thoughts, but we have such a staggeringly low amount of discussion on this show going on in the Suggestion Box that I was unable to find that many posts in regards to it.

Last edited by deoxys; 06-19-2016 at 10:13 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Main guy looks like Makoto from Ghost Hound:

Also, I think it's time folks explain this series unique charms. Because it's baffling something with this kind of premise...a pot-luck of tropes from popular anime since 2011...would be getting the kind of discussion it has.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Woo thread! Next episode is out soon (if not already out), so will comment on that in a few.

I'd try to explain it to you dopple but I think I already did and failed miserably, so ye.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Also, I think it's time folks explain this series unique charms. Because it's baffling something with this kind of premise...a pot-luck of tropes from popular anime since 2011...would be getting the kind of discussion it has.

The show doesn't really take off for several episodes, and it's difficult to explain why it's good without going into spoiler territory. In the spoiler box, I will sum up the reasons while being as spoiler-free as possible, but be warned as it does reveal some amount of information as to why:

Spoiler: show
Given Subaru's 'Return by Death' ability, as tropey and recycled as it is, the ability to return to a 'checkpoint' in time begins to take a significant toll on the character's mental health and psyche. As you can imagine, there are numerous times in the series where Subaru is killed, sometimes in extremely brutal and gruesome ways. When he returns to the checkpoint a la Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, he is the only one who really remembers everything, including the pain and death itself - but sometimes, far worse than losing his life, is losing the experiences and friendships he gained with others. And this slowly but surely begins to really fuck him up.

Aside from this factor, the supporting characters wind up being great and have very charming personalities. There is also an underlying political arc that gets very interesting (which is currently culminating to a new level, actually). There are also a LOT of mysteries the show presents us with that has left a lot of people looking for answers. All in all, you've got an entertaining and intriguing story with very dark undertones of a main character slowly going insane from dying over and over again.

While it isn't perfect by any means (again, I'd say the show does unfortunately take 6 or so episodes to really get its engine going), and there are definitely a lot of tropes being reused here, it's actually a good an unoffensive use of said tropes. And of course, the spoiler box explains why to some degree.

There's a reason the show is drawing a large crowd of fans and getting good reviews. I definitely recommend it if you're willing to be patient through the first few episodes as it sets up the story.

Bonus: The opening is REALLY good

Last edited by deoxys; 06-19-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

How many episodes until it gets good?

This is pertinent information. A certain cat wants to know.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
How many episodes until it gets good?

This is pertinent information. A certain cat wants to know.
Eh... it's really up to interpretation. The first three episodes (combining 1A and 1B) have their moments are a lot better than a lot of other shows start. It's a mini-arc, and it's pretty decent. Every episode has something fun to offer, but some viewers may get some unwanted flashbacks to the Endless Eight, though Re: Zero is far less offensive in execution.

The show starts to really grab your attention between 5-7 for the sweet spot. The first few episodes, while good at certain moments, are definitely a little slow due to a bit of world building and setup.

So... you may or may not enjoy it right away, but your interest will probably pique between ep 5 - 7.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

Here's a good video: How good is Re: Zero so far? | Ep 1-6 Review

And an alternate review (spoilers for the first few episodes)

Last edited by deoxys; 06-19-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
Crys

Episode 12

Not much to say on this one, despite it being the next big "arc". We got to meet the candidates, and who would have guessed that Felt was one /s.

But yeah, we'll see how the next few episodes turn out. I'm incredibly curious how many different times and ways Subaru is going to die this time.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

This show is heavy.

Episode 13

Please tell me he did not just say that...

This episode should be renamed from "Self-Proclaimed Knight Natsuki Subaru" to "Subaru Fucks Up Everything". Unfortunately the mixture of his number of deaths, seeing Emilia and others die, and his incredible levels of social ineptitude and arrogance have led him to going way too HAM and not only embarrassing himself, but Emilia. And then he managed to get his ass kicked to the point of near-death. And then he played the Nice Guy™ card on Emilia. And her response?

"Don't talk to me or my Puck ever again"

Yikes. What's even more grim is the thought that his save point will very possibly be waking up, with Emilia sitting right there. And he is going to have to have that conversation every time he comes back from having just died. So, after this huge fuck up, I'd say 'just kill yourself and start over', but ehh...

If you thought he wasn't already mentally, emotionally, and psychologically fucked up as is, this is only going to get much, much harder and far worse from here.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:00 AM   #10
Crys

Holy fucking shit what is this show

Episode 14
everything is dead
bloods everywhere
subaru has no friends now
no money
no stuff to his name, not even the car brand
rem is dead
world has gone to shit
feelsfuckingterribleman

am incredibly hyped for the next episode.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:25 AM   #11
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
>Re:Zero thread

Oh yay, this is a thing.

Ep 14
Crys summed it up pretty well but I'mma say stuff. I had thought stuff was gonna end up badly as soon as Rem (Candidate for waifu of the year) and Subaru left for Roswaal's mansion when they'd been told shit was going down. Rem leaving Subaru in the middle of the night was also a bad omen, same with the dragon being deathly (ha) afraid of entering the village. I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was though, not a single living soul in the area and they all had a very unique sword stabbed through them. Rem got absolutely massacred which was painful to see, well, her remains were painful to see. I've also noticed how Subaru's face has been becoming more and more full of stress lines and how his manner has changed to quite a bit more psychotic but then again, who wouldn't be going slightly mad after what he's been through?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm so confused.

Who is the best girl? Elf?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
I'm so confused.

Who is the best girl? Elf?
Rem.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I get that the show is a train-wreck, but doesn't the main guy like elf?

I hear elf is being NTR'd by another man. Does Rem die and Subaru just kind of ignore her or something?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
I get that the show is a train-wreck, but doesn't the main guy like elf?

I hear elf is being NTR'd by another man. Does Rem die and Subaru just kind of ignore her or something?
The show isn't a train-wreck, though.

And given how often you discuss, you should really just watch it!

But yes Rem has fallen for Subaru, but he is still set on Emilia. Also, he's not being NTR'd really, the other man involved is more or less just an asshole being an asshole for the sake of it.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #16
TrainerChris
Pokemon Trainer

Excited to see how arc three will go down. Unfortunately, I saw some spoilers, so I know what happens at the end, but that's about it. Rem is definitely the best girl. I hope Subaru develops into a better character, which he probably will. Definitely my favorite of the spring season.
TrainerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Alright, I'm going to take the plunge.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sweet. I'm fucking excited, no matter how you end up feeling about it.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

4 minutes into the first episode

"Where da anime women at?!"

I like that main guy is savvy. But he's pretty pathetic with the whole "I'm the story protagonist" bit. That is really stereotypical beta male Japanese these days.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

EPISODE 01B

I can see the appeal of this show, although nothing particular stands out. It's basically like watching an anime-visual novel, where you gather information from the Bad Ends or If Routes and use that to find the right future.

If this show had the benefit of a LOT of screen time, it would be a fun ride, and different from Overlord in what it focuses on.

Picked up? Chet.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 04

Okay, this show is pretty okay.

It helps that the main guy isn't useless, but his skills are a grab bag of unusual. He's good at sewing...why? He's a hikikomori who trains, but his MMA skills are enough to survive against a superhuman assailant.

He's witty, but usually in a "genre savvy" tsukkomi way. Without having that experience he wouldn't have many comebacks.

Now that the series has escaped the first major crisis, I wonder where it goes from here. Feels direction-less.

Master x Servant illicitness?!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 AM   #22
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm glad you're watching Dopple. By that point it certainly does feel directionless, but make no mistake, there is a plan in place.

I just watched Episode 15. I... I don't.... I genuinely don't know how to respond to it. I'm at a total loss for words. It was such a difficult episode to get through.

I can't muster any more words for what that was.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #23
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
>Episode 15

I knew something along the lines of this was coming due to the 'Psychological' and 'Thriller' tags but even so, I was so close to shedding a tear that it wasn't funny. I'm not gonna recap because this chilled me to my core with the amount of darkness it had.

Oh yeah, a thing for those who may not have noticed: The large creature at the end was Puck, we know this as Puck uses ice magic and he has an earring along with the fact that he refers to Emilia as his 'daughter'.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 AM   #24
deoxys
Fog Badge

Relevant Calvin and Hobbes
Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #25
Crys

>episode 15

bruuuuuuuuuuuuuh he's gone off the deep end