UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #51
phoopes
Double Dragon

You guys are a terrible influence. Getting me hooked on something the day before the school year starts. Sigh. Currently in the middle of Chapter 2 of DR1 and loving every second of it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

TELL US YOUR REACTIONS TO EVERYTHING AS IT HAPPENS

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #53
phoopes
Double Dragon

I would've done so earlier had I known you were going to command me in ALLCAPS. Chapter 2 spoilers upcoming!

Spoiler: show
At the point right now where Togami and Naegi are in the archives. At this point I think Genocider Shou is Fukawa's alter ego. Something about her word choice makes me suspicious.

Naegi discovers extension cord used to be in empty box. Fujisaki was crucified with a black cable thing... I think? Maybe Togami "borrowed" the ElectroiD and did it? I still think Fukawa as Genocider Shou is more likely.

Nope, more like white rope. Fukawa it is... I think.

GENOCIDER SHOU CASE FILES SHOW SCISSORS WERE USED TO KILL EVERY VICTIM AND NAEGI GAVE FUKAWA SHEARS AFTER THEY HUNG OUT OOOOOOOOHHHHHH BOY

Multiple personalities? I got this in the bag.

Yamada you fat fuck just die already.

Oh so it is a cord... Yeah still convinced it's Fukawa.

Huh so my hunch earlier of Togami getting the cord may be correct... still leaning towards Fukawa even though we haven't heard from her in a while.

Why is Celes' hair blue in these cutscene things but black like every other time?

Upupu... Class Trail #2 is in the next video... hmm I think I'll move reactions to that post.

Post updated as I see more stuff!

Going to post reactions to the next video in the next post I made.

Last edited by phoopes; 08-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #54
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

WHENEVER ANYTHING HAPPENS TELL US WHO YOU THINK IS GONNA DIE AND WHO YOU THINK KILLED WHOEVER DIED AND TELL US HOW YOU THINK IT HAPPENED SO WE CAN SEE HOW WRONG YOU ARE

Old 08-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #55
phoopes
Double Dragon

So yeah, now that I won't be interrupted anymore, giving my reactions to the last Chapter 2 video in this post.

Going into trial, still think Fukawa is Genocider Shou, but there's a small chance that it's Togami IMO.

k, what the Hell is this guy's deal during the first nonstop debate, metal pipe is wrong. That's like the one part that I don't like, very rarely does the guy playing take me out of the experience but this was one of those few instances.

Again Yamada, just get offed. Please.

HAHAHA called it Genocider Shou is Fukawa... but it seems way too early in the video so I'm probably wrong.

Well it looks like I'm right, but I'm waiting for some mega plot twist or something.

Hoooooollly fuck.

WHAT THE- "just kiddin'" all right screw you Genocider

Okay I'll take half credit for being right about Genocider even though she didn't do it... IT HAS TO BE TOGAMI MY OTHER HUNCH YA?

"Police unable to find pattern." *no female victims* Oh come on police you're better than that

Ooooohhhh it's Togami. Do I get half-credit again?

YouTube don't you dare stop working right now.

EDIT: Well crap, YouTube is being dumb and not working... eh I have school tomorrow I'll just go to bed and pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited by phoopes; 08-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #56
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

OMG SAIONJI HEADCANON ENGLISH VOICE

BORKED

EDIT: ALSO I FOUND JAPANESE YOUTUBE

BORKED

so kawaii

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #57
phoopes
Double Dragon

Just finished Chapter 2, and it blew my freakin' miiiiiiiiiiiiiind.

So it turns out that both my hunches, on Genocider Shou and Togami being the killers were completely wrong. It's a shame that Oowada ended up being the killer, I think. He didn't seem like that bad of a person when it came right down to it, and I actually really enjoyed him as a character. Part of it was because after his friendship with Ishimaru happened, I actually felt like there was more depth to BOTH of them. And also, keeping his man's honor in moving the Fujisaki's body was touching, even for a murderer. This darn game made me tear up during both the Class Trials, it's really good at playing on your emotions.

Also holy crap Togami, what a scary motherfucker. Doing things just to "make it more interesting" makes him sound EXACTLY like the guy that Monokuma was talking to at the end of the chapter. Of course, I also have suspicions that it could be Kirigiri, she just seems like she knows too much about everything (that said, she's probably my favorite character) and she's mysterious, as we still don't know why she was invited to Kibougamine Academy. The only time she looked caught off-guard was when Naegi said that he was an esper (loved that throwback to Maizono), so it could be her too. But anyway, I'd be more scared of Togami's ruthlessness even more so than Genocider Shou's, he seems to have no regard for human life at all, and that could make him the most dangerous of the potential killers.

At this point, I love all the characters to death, even Togami and Fukawa/Genocider, who seem like wonderful antagonists. Oh wait that's right, Yamada. He better be the next to go, god I cannot stand him.

Also 16th student hooooooowhaaaaaaaat?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #58
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

SDR2 SPOILERS

I JUST WANTED TO REMIND EVERYONE OF HOW MUCH OF A BEAUTIFUL SWEET PERSON AI NANAMI IS SHE IS JUST THE BEST OMG

MONOKUMA IS SUCH A JERK

EDIT: ADDITIONAL REMINDER

NANAMI IS ACTUALLY SHSL TRIANGLE PLAYER

IT IS CANON

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 08-28-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #59
phoopes
Double Dragon

Finished the first Dangan Ronpa earlier today. Watching it blew my mind with all the twists and turns more times than I could've possibly imagined. One of the best stories I've ever read/watched for sure. My original plan was to move on to SDR2, but I've seen that there's something called Dangan Ronpa/Zero, which I guess is a prequel? (I didn't dig too deep in case of spoilers) So, well-versed fans, what do I read/watch next?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #60
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

SDR2 is better first, because it reveals (or really expands on) important plot points that are discussed in detail in DR0. That way, you have a lot of the story walking into DR0 and you can get the whole story then.

Of course, I haven't read DR0 yet because I'm waiting on my Japanese copies to come in the mail, but that's what I've been told.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If Dangan Ronpa blew your mind, then Ever17 would vaporize it. I encourage you to check it out. Best of all, you can play it for yourself -- in English! It's a survival mystery about a small number of people trapped hundreds of feet beneath the surface of the ocean in an underwater theme park. It's a great game that is on many Top 5 lists for best visual novels of all time. YMMV but if you loved Dangan Ronpa then you should really love Ever17.

Another one you could try is its cousin, Remember11. It's about four people trapped in a log cabin on a mountain during a terrible snowstorm following the crash of their airplane ... as well as four people in a small sanitorium, one of whom the protagonist immediately recognizes to be a famous serial killer with dissociative identity disorder. (And for the record, Remember11 was published in 2004, so ...) I don't want to give too much more away, but suffice to say that the story has to do with psychology and theoretical physics. Like Ever17, Remember11's one you can play for yourself in English.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #62
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Talon

It looks really super moe and almost H-Game-y (even if it obviously isn't). Part of what I liked a lot about DR (and SDR2 in particular) is the characterization and design of the characters. Ever17's cast looks really generically anime, which is the kind of thing I pretty actively avoid.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #63
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
>Talon

It looks really super moe and almost H-Game-y (even if it obviously isn't). Part of what I liked a lot about DR (and SDR2 in particular) is the characterization and design of the characters. Ever17's cast looks really generically anime, which is the kind of thing I pretty actively avoid.
>super moe
>generic anime look

And I feel that your words precisely describe Dangan Ronpa. So I'll say it once again: if you didn't have a problem with Dangan Ronpa, then you shouldn't have a problem with my recommendations. If you have a personal hang-up for some reason with non-DS, non-PSP visual novels and have already decided to hate my recommendations without trying them out for yourself first, well, that's on you. I can't help that. But if you've got an open mind and are hungry for more good visual novels, then you should check out Ever17. The VN community on the whole tends to agree that it is one of the best (if not the best) visual novels of all time, so you're doing yourself a disservice not to if you already know of yourself, "Hey. I'm the sort of guy who likes visual novels. :o I liked Homestuck. I liked Phoenix Wright. I liked Dangan Ronpa. Man, maybe I should check out more of that genre ..." I'm not promising you Shakespeare, but then again, neither was Dangan Ronpa.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #64
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The only caveat I have to Ever17 is that when we all played it, that was 2007 and the year 2017 is rapidly coming upon us. Some of the technology or events in it may seem dated or even retro. Terabyte discs now exist when they were merely speculative technology in 2002, but no country passed a Clone Law in 2010.

Still, I have to echo Talon's sentiments, Jeri - you basically tiered your like of DR on the character designs and character development. They're not temporally equivalent. You had to like the character designs to play the game in the first place, but you'd be hard pressed to admit that after finishing both games you like the designs more than the characters, no?

I'll admit Ever17 looks unspectacular, especially now, but the frame of reference I went into the story originally was that it was an H game, as VNs of that time presupposed the viewer was accustomed to a diet of such experiences and so wouldn't expect a solidly built story with the same appearance. A "subversion" *shrudder* if you will, not unlike Madoka Magica or other media involving the look of one genre, but the content of another.

Even barring the super huge galactic twist at the end, the puzzle and mysteries of the story are so exquisitely linked (and skillfully revealed/presented) it's a satisfying play even in our modern world. You get the retrospective sense that you could have solved the mysteries yourself with the right frame of mind, sense of where to look, and ability to think outside the box. At the same time, you an appreciate the answers told to you (in an "oh, wow, so that was it! Why didn't I notice it sooner?!") kind of way, not a disappointing ("there's no way I could have solved that") sort of manner.

As Talon says...this game is effectively free since the company that translated it has gone bankrupt. It's very much still a Masterpiece even if it's aged quite a bit in the 11 years since it came out. And we're still in 2013, so the story's events have yet to come to pass.

/thinks back to Remember11
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #65
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm mostly skeptical of games that include a mostly-to-all female cast that is populated by loli-looking girls, because I know that most of the content is not aimed at me and I have no interest in games that are going to be highly driven by male-female relationships.

But that said I did a little more research and I'm at least convinced that it's not too dating-sim-y, so I still might check it out regardless.

>Dopple

The comparison with Madoka has me interested, though. I liked Madoka because it was very much a subversion of the genre, so if that's the case with this, I may very well like it.

But this thread isn't about VNs in general and I'm too busy for something like that right at this second so I'll hold off on my decision for a while longer.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #66
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Oh I've read most of DR0 and I highly suggest reading SDR2 first.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #67
Sneaze
Mrow?

Alright, so I have been thoroughly convinced that I should get interested in DR. Somebody VM me a link to a LP that doesn't suck nuts, if you would be ever so kind. Unfortunately the link in the OP requires archive access and I don't feel like paying $10. Nor do I want to go through the thread in the event of any spoilers of any kind.

kthnx

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #68
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

That's for the first game.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #69
deoxys
Fog Badge

Check out Thee Daniel on YouTube if you want to actually watch the Let's Play instead of reading it. Here's the first part. It's very long, but he included the ability to fast forward at 2x the speed, which is how I watched most of it except important parts.

It's all in English, too, and he has NO commentary in any of the videos, it's just you and the game.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #70
deoxys
Fog Badge

Please only read the below if you are both watching the anime and have already finished Dangan Ronpa.

Dangan Ronpa final two chapters spoilers (Episode 10 of the anime [newest one + the final 3 episodes]):

It's making me squirm watching how they are piecing together the events of Ikusaba Mukuro's death. It's almost hard to believe redpanda was able to figure out that much on his own without some sort of spoiler...

I can't be alone here, right? Anyone else reading their comments and just like 'Holy crap, I can't believe they're actually piecing the puzzle together!' However, I'm surprised by this point that no one has suggested the possibility of an apocalypse scenario and the school being a shelter. I had already suspected and theorized that a chapter before the one the anime is currently on... to see that they're speculating on things like crazy science fiction theories such as clones and robots and virtual reality tests but not the apocalypse sort of baffles me a bit. Ah well.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #71
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Please only read the below if you are both watching the anime and have already finished Dangan Ronpa.

Dangan Ronpa final two chapters spoilers (Episode 10 of the anime [newest one + the final 3 episodes]):

It's making me squirm watching how they are piecing together the events of Ikusaba Mukuro's death. It's almost hard to believe redpanda was able to figure out that much on his own without some sort of spoiler...

I can't be alone here, right? Anyone else reading their comments and just like 'Holy crap, I can't believe they're actually piecing the puzzle together!' However, I'm surprised by this point that no one has suggested the possibility of an apocalypse scenario and the school being a shelter. I had already suspected and theorized that a chapter before the one the anime is currently on... to see that they're speculating on things like crazy science fiction theories such as clones and robots and virtual reality tests but not the apocalypse sort of baffles me a bit. Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Um, Episode 8 is subbed. That's what Talon just saw. I'm talking about it here-

Alter Ego's information was money. He's basically confirmed that the outside is a nuclear wasteland of sorts, and the students were originally supposed to hole up within the high-tech Kibougamine as a sort of sanctuary. I can assume then that Monokuma and his supporters probably took over the school and turned it into a depraved game zone.

This also brings up something kaisap brought up earlier that really stuck with me. Monokuma likes irony. If the world outside of Kibougamine is nothing but a wasteland, doesn't that create the greatest irony possible? He's been baiting the students to want to go outside with things of value in the outside world (money, friends, family). But if there's nothing outside, they'll lose their minds to grief and regret for what they did inside the academy.
Dopple's been strangely spot-on with a lot of theories, and not just limited to Dangan Ronpa. He predicted as far back as episode 05 that this was a game made for reality T.V. Mind, I'm finding a lot of the hints towards the major twists glaringly obvious in hindsight. I forgot Alter Ego outright confirmed the plan was to lock the students inside the school due to the "Most Despair-Inducing Event in History", as well as the fact that the reveal they were being broadcast live took place before the final trial. And honestly, if the Japanese name clue stands out to native speakers as much as Talon says it does, that's a pretty huge giveaway right there.

I'd like to think we just have a lot of smart people on this board, who have the advantage of bringing their individual sleuthing skills and knowledge to the table to discuss between episodes. All that's left for them to figure out really is that Junko is the Mastermind... At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if they did. ^^; Heck, weren't there people following along the LP who said something was off about Junko from the beginning? (Tbh I had an idea myself since I watched most of the execution cutscenes on YT before reading, including the final one.)
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #72
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>lilblue

I rewatched the Chapter 6 Class Trial last night and I have to say, even pre-trial, there are actually quite a few good hints dropped that Junko is still alive and that Mukuro was impersonating her... I wonder if they'll pick up on the scattered hints though? They aren't as obvious in the show as they are in the game, but they're still lingering, I'd imagine.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 09-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #73
Sneaze
Mrow?

So I just finished the fifth Class Trial and just... wat.

Everything up to this point has been fairly easy to piece together prior to their trials actually happening... so I'm going to see if I can rack my brain and figure out what actually happened before I continue.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #74
Sneaze
Mrow?

Alrighty, my predictions before I move on to the final chapter. Feel free to read and laugh as I find out the truth.

Right, so, it's obvious the body is in fact Mukuro. The tattoo proves that, and attempting to tattoo the dead body of one of the other dead girls would result in the tattoo not looking right due to being a post-mortem wound. The body has a few weird things going on with it, though, first off being the hands. The clip on nails, while having the potential of being put there by the killer as a red herring, are a bit suspicious. Additionally, the tattoo looks a little faded at parts, where if it were to be destroyed by the explosion it would instead be charred. The hand was upside-down prior to the explosion so it's impossible to tell the state it was in, so I'm going to just keep that in the back of my mind for a bit. The biggest weird thing about the body is the way she was killed. Neither the knife through the chest nor the blow to the back of the head left any blood anywhere, and the knife itself is also clean, and the tape that was around the arrows also has a relatively small amount of blood on it. The only real way I see for there not to have been blood left on much of anything would be for those to not have been the fatal wounds, and were done afterwards as coverup. That leaves the cause of death a little unclear... it couldn't have been poison due to lack of vomiting blood, and the Monobear File states that the additional wounds are old... though it certainly doesn't say how old, and the body could have been preserved somehow, after all there are several places in the school we have yet to gain access to. Though, if we go that route it places the mastermind firmly as the killer, even though Kirigiri has the key. There could always be a second key, and she would have had to have it well ahead of time in order to stash the body somewhere. But yeah, if the body could have been preserved that means it's one of the already dead girls. The only one whose wounds match is... Enoshima. The red nails even match, holy crap! But... that doesn't explain the tattoo... unless... no... well I guess it's possible, given that amnesia seems to be a running theme here, that the body is actually Mukuro... who was made to think she was Enoshima somehow. That explains the fading over the tattoo anyway, it could have been some kind of makeup put there by the real Enoshima... and I think someone said something about how she looks different from her magazine pictures... so if all that adds up without contradicting anything (I don't think it does?), that means the real Enoshima is the mastermind. Wat.

Okay, so, that aside... why are they all here anyway? It's obvious they all have some sort of amnesia and used to actually be at the school for a while (at least a year if what Alter Ego said is true), this is easily proven by the pictures and the fact that Kirigiri has very selective amnesia aswell. The most obvious answer is some sort of apocalypse, that fits what Alter Ego said to a T, plus it explains why the windows and such are all plated up. But at the same time... that's not possible because then where is all of their food coming from? They obviously can grow some of it, but they have milk and processed foods at the very least, even if we haven't seen any meat. So if those things are coming from the outside world that rules out an apocalypse, which means what Alter Ego said is just a red herring. So... virtual reality maybe? No... then they wouldn't need the monitoring room, and Monobear would be able to be controlled much more easily... plus that ruins my entire theory about Enoshima being the culprit, since they could just program in another person whenever they want. Hmm... the only other thing I've thought of so far is clones. That could hold some ground since they could still be getting food from the outside, and they could have been grown in the Biology Lab or something. ...but then that also kills the idea of Enoshima being the culprit, and with so many hidden things pointing to her it kinda has to be true. So... there's no logical reason why they're locked in there, from what I can tell. Meh. At least I tried.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #75
Sneaze
Mrow?

I was so close. ;-;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment