UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #7651
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Overlord season 3 is happening. Apparently as soon as summer.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #7652
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BORKED

There's a new Japanese-language trailer for the Pokémon movie that will be hitting theaters this summer. It's now apparent that what happened with last year's movie wasn't a one-off experiment: ShoPro and The Pokémon Company have decided to abandon the formula used for all of the movies prior to 2017's and are now trying something new out where ... it's still Ash and Pikachu, but it's like they've time-slipped into an alternate reality with REAL PEOPLE. Like, how do I put it ... this feels less like a traditional Pokémon movie and more like an attempt to write up a Kimi no Na wa-esque feature film that shoehorns Ash into the setting.

The way the Chansey is animated, it reminds me of Pokémon Generations on YouTube from a few years back. I wonder if they're considering an eventual go at what many fans have begged them for for generations now -- a games-faithful animated adaptation. Something to similar to what we were all hoping we might get when this memorable trailer first aired for BW2.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #7653
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's set in the same continuity as I Choose You!, which is an odd choice in a sea of odd choices for the handling of the Generation VII anime. It has me wondering how things are connected: instead of Episode RR, will we see the movie canon and the anime canon interact somehow?

At the very least, I have suspicions that I hope to be confirmed by this movie. It's telling that, despite it being a sequel to M20, we haven't seen any of Ash's team aside from Pikachu. He should have at least three Pokemon...maybe four.

I groaned at the Zeraora reveal. That was the most predictable shoehorned mythic. Marshadow was tolerable I guess because it's cool, it had a nice role in M20 and M20 didn't focus around it...but Zeraora is furry bait, sucks in battle and looks to be connected to Largo. And you know that "cute girl with special friend" is going to dominate the story.

Since you've opted out of both M20 and the SM movie I won't say much, but I an very hyped for this in spite of the lame Zeraora reveal, because of the ambiguity toward the end of M20.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #7654
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Are you hyped simply because of alternate realities, and a possible hope that these realities will eventually meet up with one another? I'm not very happy with Game Freak right now re: all this alternate reality stuff, as it really rains on the parade that is the enjoyment of canon, but I suppose if they were to do something with it that I found worthwhile and enjoyable that it might somewhat alleviate my unhappiness. (And let's be real here: the Ash anime has always been an alternate reality to the games' canon with Red.)

In light of this trailer, many people are speculating that a Flying-type Eeveelution is on the way. The arguments seem to center around 1) every even-numbered generation gets Eeveelutions, 2) Flying-type hasn't been done yet, 3) you don't put an Eevee into a movie and not have it evolve by the end, 4) movies towards the end of a generation's life cycle tend to be promotional for upcoming features in a new generation, and 5) the fact that we only see Eevee in the trailer is soft confirmation that they're hiding the evolved form until after it's revealed that a new Eeveelution exists or until the movie hits theaters, whichever comes first. I won't say that any of these fans are wrong, but I will offer one caveat: I don't see the Gen 8 games coming out any sooner than Spring 2019 at this point.

Why don't I think the Gen 8 games will come out later this year? Lots of common reasons. For one, it'd make Gen 7 incredibly short -- only two years on the dot -- and Game Freak tends to try to avoid this when they can. (Gen 5, and even then only in the West, is a notable exception.) Game Freak tends to prefer "fallow years", where no new game comes out, over having very short generations for the sake of having no fallow years. Second reason I don't see Gen 8 happening before 2019 is, when they announced last spring that a Pokémon title was indeed in development for the Switch, everything about that announcement screamed "we're at like Stage 1 of 20 in development and we weren't planning on saying anything but you've all had a collective freakout and thus forced our hand." Refusing to show anything -- not even concept art and early wireframes, as they did with Gen 7 with Pikipek's wireframe and the Ride Pokémon's draft art -- is one sign of this. Not voluntarily announcing the generation is another -- they originally only wanted to talk about USUM coming out November 2017 and Pokkén Tournament coming to the Switch in the form of DX. And a third is the fact that Generation 7 had literally only just hit store shelves five months prior, in November of 2016. So like ... we knew we weren't getting Generation 8 in 2017, but I also ruled out right then and there the likelihood of a 2018 release. It could technically happen, in late 2018, but there's so much riding against that release date.

So we'll see. We'll see whether this new movie is good or not. We'll see whether we're getting a new Eeveelution or not, and whether it's Flying-type or not. And we'll see whether the Gen 8 games are on the horizon for a late 2018 release or whether I'm right about 2019.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #7655
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Are you hyped simply because of alternate realities, and a possible hope that these realities will eventually meet up with one another? I'm not very happy with Game Freak right now re: all this alternate reality stuff, as it really rains on the parade that is the enjoyment of canon, but I suppose if they were to do something with it that I found worthwhile and enjoyable that it might somewhat alleviate my unhappiness. (And let's be real here: the Ash anime has always been an alternate reality to the games' canon with Red.)
I'm not hyped about alternate realities specifically. I don't think the anime has exhausted itself of ideas to the point of needing to reach for alternate worlds. I had figured I Choose You! to be a one-shot remake since it's otherwise pretty self-contained.

However, even considering that, the existence of M20 changed the calculus of the main series anime because we had a (mostly) faithful adaption of the game storyline, which is a first. That's probably going to continue for 2018.

But the curious question is why go out and make M21 a sequel to M20? The obvious answer is OLM wants to carry over elements from M20 without having to explain away again differences from the anime...which is why I'm excited. I can't see it any other way, because this movie would otherwise be boring/uninteresting from the trailers without this elephant in the room.

Quote:
In light of this trailer, many people are speculating that a Flying-type Eeveelution is on the way. The arguments seem to center around 1) every even-numbered generation gets Eeveelutions, 2) Flying-type hasn't been done yet, 3) you don't put an Eevee into a movie and not have it evolve by the end, 4) movies towards the end of a generation's life cycle tend to be promotional for upcoming features in a new generation, and 5) the fact that we only see Eevee in the trailer is soft confirmation that they're hiding the evolved form until after it's revealed that a new Eeveelution exists or until the movie hits theaters, whichever comes first. I won't say that any of these fans are wrong, but I will offer one caveat: I don't see the Gen 8 games coming out any sooner than Spring 2019 at this point.

Why don't I think the Gen 8 games will come out later this year? Lots of common reasons. For one, it'd make Gen 7 incredibly short -- only two years on the dot -- and Game Freak tends to try to avoid this when they can. (Gen 5, and even then only in the West, is a notable exception.) Game Freak tends to prefer "fallow years", where no new game comes out, over having very short generations for the sake of having no fallow years. Second reason I don't see Gen 8 happening before 2019 is, when they announced last spring that a Pokémon title was indeed in development for the Switch, everything about that announcement screamed "we're at like Stage 1 of 20 in development and we weren't planning on saying anything but you've all had a collective freakout and thus forced our hand." Refusing to show anything -- not even concept art and early wireframes, as they did with Gen 7 with Pikipek's wireframe and the Ride Pokémon's draft art -- is one sign of this. Not voluntarily announcing the generation is another -- they originally only wanted to talk about USUM coming out November 2017 and Pokkén Tournament coming to the Switch in the form of DX. And a third is the fact that Generation 7 had literally only just hit store shelves five months prior, in November of 2016. So like ... we knew we weren't getting Generation 8 in 2017, but I also ruled out right then and there the likelihood of a 2018 release. It could technically happen, in late 2018, but there's so much riding against that release date.
Gen VII is disliked by a very vocal group of fans. I'm confronted with this no matter where I go for information, and the narrative is especially prevalent on YouTube where I have the benefit of seeing the views and how quickly they accumulate. Alola hate gets a lot of eyeballs and thumbs up.

The Eeveelution/Gen VIII rumors seem like wishcasting to me, to the point certain fans have confused fervent want for reality. They're surrounded by a world of constant updates and progression and expect the same out of Nintendo/GameFreak, who aren't willing to pick up the pace.

Nintendo already upset the equilibrium by electing to make the Switch the sole next-gen console, and I think that took GF by surprise. They announced a Pokemon game was coming for the Switch back in November 2016, with the release of SM: I don't think at that time they thought said game would be an entry in Generation VIII.

From the anime's pacing, it suggests at earliest a late 2019 release. I'm of the view we won't see things until 2020, because the late development for the Switch and the pressure to make a grand debut for a flagship console release.

So, for those angry fans who are wishing Alola goes away, they're unwilling to confront the reality that we have at least a year and a half to go in Generation VII. And so, we have a climate of fantasy indulgence where vague (or nonexistent) information is blown up into O'Reilly-esque talking points.

Quote:
So we'll see. We'll see whether this new movie is good or not. We'll see whether we're getting a new Eeveelution or not, and whether it's Flying-type or not. And we'll see whether the Gen 8 games are on the horizon for a late 2018 release or whether I'm right about 2019.
I'm hyped because I'm convinced I'm right. As much as a Kimi no na wa style movie might be cool for Pokemon, we have to remind ourselves of the demographics. I'm watching the Diancie movie right now and it's a mess, but the characters involved make for good trailers and taglines:

Ninjas versus Mages!
Poachers versus Team Rocket!
Xerneas versus Yveltal!
Mega Shinkaaaa?

M21 doesn't have any of that. If I'm 7 years old, it looks bo-ring. If not for the M20 connection. If not for Lugia featuring in yet another movie. It's a trail of breadcrumbs, I say!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #7656
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

So is 2018 the year of a ton of sequels to stuff? Code Geass season 3 is coming but also Full Metal Panic is getting another season. Their previous season was in 2005! FLCL is getting not one, but TWO new seasons this June and September!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #7657
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Overlord S2 AND S3, and Youjo Senki's movie that's also a sequel.

That's actually good because sequels are pretty rare these days. Usually, you get remakes only, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Devilman Crybaby from earlier this year.

I watched the Diancie movie. This is the first proper main series Pokemon movie I've seen since Pokemon 4 Ever, M04. I Choose You! is AU.

This movie is pretty bad! In fact, it's so bad it makes me feel like I underrated I Choose You!. There isn't a lot to say about it. Diancie is cute, but the first hour of the movie was spent on chasing her. Yveltal appears and starts killing everyone. Notably, he killed Pikachu and the Team Rocket trio; I think that's a first for the Rockets, but that is only the second time Pikachu has died in the main series, after The Tower of Terror.
I thought it was dumb that Xerneas only had to appear and Yveltal decides to fly away. No battle, Xerneas just walks up to it. Oh, and Xerneas is female. I figured since she has the horns she would be an old stag, not...an old woman.
Looks like Hoopa is up next. Hoopa Alley Oopa!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #7658
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Archdijinn of Rings: Hoopa

This movie is notorious for its inclusion of a bunch of legendaries fighting each other, and I can see why: the anime established there's but a single Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina, so having them act as Shadow Hoopa's mind-mashed muscle is lame. Gating in Primal Groudon and Kyogre without respecting their mythologies is like bad fanfiction. Lugia doing no damage to Shadow Hoopa after like four Brave Birds and two Aeroblasts is just ridiculous. I found the abrahanic parallels with Arceus funny but insulting/sacrilegious at the same time.

That said, this is a much, much better movie than Diancie. It had better pacing, a better theme and better battles. If Diancie is like a 3/10, this is a 6/10 - not great, but decent and superior to a typical XY episode.

But didn't I also give I Choose You! a 6/10? The more I watch, the more I feel I underrated that film.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #7659
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Volcanion and the Ingeniuous Magearna

I'm noticing a trend here. Watching these films back-to-back has had me realize they're very cookie cutter in their approach and design. And, in spite of being movies, they're surprisingly restrained at spitting stuff out for an audience demographic that needs it.

It's pretty obvious that Volcanion is in love with Magearna. But isn't actually said or pointed out. That makes his motivations pretty vague here. It also bugs me that a highly advanced robot computer can't speak Japanese. You'd think that getting the AI right would be the easy part, I mean IRL we have Siri before Deep Mind, you know?

Amour isn't touched on at all, with the characters more or less being flat, exposition boxes. You wouldn't know Serena and Ash were a thing from these movies.

This film had some charming characters but overall, was probably worse than the Hoopa movie which isn't great by any stretch. At least the Hoopa film was easy to understand - Hoopa was angry, and his inability to control that anger lead to the conflict. This one had to require a mustache twirling evil villain with gross power to move the plot. That should tell you it's probably not a plot that was ever interested in moving.

4.5/10...better than Diancie by a noticeable stretch, but still weak compared to other films.

Also, while Rotten Tomatoes is no longer credible, it's sort of credible as you go back in time. And the original Pokemon movies - Mewtwo Strikes Back, Power of One and Pokemon 4Ever and Pokemon Heroes - all rank below 20%. Spell of the Unown is the only one better at 22%. None of the others even got ratings.

Meanwhile, I Choose You! has a 43%, almost double what the previous best movie got. The degree of difference is something I agree with, but it's so very strange that this reality agrees with what I think but also jives with the overwhelmingly negative sentiment I saw elsewhere. So strange.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #7660
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

I'm not watching any more of this, it's too cringe-worthy. It hits a bit close to home in that I'm looking at professionals (ehhh) who maintain their childhood or adolescent hobbies, but a lot of this show edges into severe red pill territory. In fact, the entire show is like some weird meta commentary, like an imageboard discussion that transforms into a MGTOW echo chamber.

I know this is misogynistic, but Narumi is gross. The anime is deliberately trying to depict her as such. Her behaviour:

-pursuing hot guys as boyfriends specifically because they're hot and not otaku
-using her sexual experience to draw yaoi
-wanting to make friends with another woman only because she suspects she's a fujoshi
-finding men who are otaku disgusting/repulsive, yet admitting they'd make for an ideal partner
-passive aggressively insulting Hirotaka for his looks/interests despite playing with him all the time
-confiding personal feelings to Hirotaka she never shared with her boyfriends
-using Hirotaka as a rebound

Check, check, check, check, check, check, CHECK! These are all negative stereotypes of women that are commonly brought up by frustrated red pills, barring the fujoshi/yaoi ones that are Japanese-specific.

By contrast, Hirotaka is portrayed with almost no negative qualities: tall, handsome, competent, successful, and popular with his co-workers. I can't say I approve of his smoking but that's often not a deal breaker.

This episode was not funny, it was cringe. I'm not the type of masochist who enjoys squirming when I watch shows, especially when the premise/setup seem pretty lame-insulting.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #7661
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Golden Kamuy

I've read bits of the manga in the past, but the anime ups everything up to a new level. Asirpa is a lot cuter here, too.
Basically, if you like Baccano! and other similar nonsense, this is your adventure story. I've very pleased with the adaption, it feels like I'm watching a better animated Youjo Senki taking place on the other side of the world.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #7662
Loki

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory is starting off like there wasn't a 13 year gap between series. Right off the bat, we're kind of thrown into the thick of it. No recap. Which is great, but I feel like newer inductees to the franchise are going to be completely lost. Maybe they're expecting people to watch the previous seasons on a streaming service.

Tada-kun Never Falls in Love is kind of cute, but they're telegraphing a lot of the story to come. Maybe I'm an old man and I've seen so much anime I know where this is going, but I'll stick with it for now.

Persona 5 the Animation looks great. Otherwise it follows the plot of the game. But yeah, visually it looks fantastic.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #7663
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Tada-kun Never Falls in Love is kind of cute, but they're telegraphing a lot of the story to come. Maybe I'm an old man and I've seen so much anime I know where this is going, but I'll stick with it for now.
One of these characters is a foreigner. The others are Japanese.
Who else from Loki can distinguish between them?

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #7664
Loki

Teresa (blonde girl) and Alex (ginger girl) are both foreign, so that's two. No clue where the cat is originally from.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #7665
Loki

Tada Koi episode 3 is probably the best thing ever.
Spoiler: show
It's narrated by Tada's cat.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #7666
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Overlord volume 13 next week and it looks sick. I hope the content will be as good as the cover this time. :/ Wrath looks like a lava golem.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #7667
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Goblin Slayer gets a third manga adaption. I don't think I've seen a mania like this before, where the publisher seems a series popular enough they can't wait for the other two artists to complete the series on their own.

The current adaptions:

Goblin Slayer: Volumes 1-3 (apparently), Kousuke Kurose
Goblin Slayer: Year One: single volume, Kento Eida
Goblin Slayer: Brand New Day: Volumes 4-7, Masahiro Ikeno

Crazy!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #7668
Loki

Been watching Grancrest Senki aka Record of the Grancrest War. I've been enjoying the 'rise of a hero' story.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #7669
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uh, can you go into detail about that one? I know like...nothing...literally nothing about it, but if it's in Young Animal that gives some proxy information about its content. How does it compare to Legend of the Legendary Heroes?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #7670
Loki

I know nothing of the two shows you mentioned.

It's almost Game of Thrones-esque with factions fighting for rule of the continent and a lot of political maneuvering by the characters.

The main character is an idealistic young man who attained lordship and rose up ranks through the machinations of his mage who sort of forced herself into his servitude. She plots and he goes along with it, but later on also learns the workings of politics and morale. He quickly forms alliances and basically takes over a small country. Then bigger stuff happens after he joins one of the two large factions and then all out war.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #7671
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Young Animal isn't a show, it's an adult magazine that sometimes serializes mangas. Futari Ecchi and Berserk are the two more famous serials from it.

Thanks for the summary, I went into the Wikipedia page and figured I'd be spoiled by the time I read enough to understand what was going on.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #7672
Loki

So a friend cancelled plans I had for today, so I made other plans. Then those guys cancelled because one of them got called into work. And since I was tired, I just ended up watching anime all day.

In the end, under the suggestion of friend, I started watching Darling in the Franxx. Originally only planning to watch a few episodes, I ended up liking it so much I watched all the episodes available. It's pretty good. The show has a lot of heavy themes about essentially adulthood. I'm a little surprised that I wasn't able to find anyone talking about it here.

When I get a free day, I might make a thread about it.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #7673
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The only notable thing for me about that anime is the artwork is by Kentaro Yabuki, the brain and hand behind To Love-Ru:

Spoiler: show

Needless to say, regardless of the animated product, the designs are very popular in certain places.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #7674
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Where is my Tonegawa anime trailer?

Vento Aureo announced for Fall 2019.

All I need now is Minami-ke S5, Rozen Maiden S3, and Genshiken Nidaime S2 and it'll be 2012 levels of anime watching all over again.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #7675
phoopes
Double Dragon

What's this? I'm posting in the anime section???

Summer has given me free time. As such I've started to watch/rewatch some stuff that I've been meaning to for awhile.

1. I heard Attack on Titan season three is coming out later this summer. I watched season one a few years ago and really liked it, so I watched seasons one and two. Season one is just as cool as I remember it, and season two took the story in some weird and unexpected directions but I really liked it! Excited for season three.

2. Currently watching Kuroko no Basuke. This is like the perfect anime for me. I love basketball, I love ridiculous superpower kind of stuff. Therefore I love this anime. A few years ago I watched the majority of it but not to completion. There are three seasons and I stopped at the beginning of season three. Currently I'm in the middle of season three and I don't know why I stopped watching before! I really dig the character development because it goes deeper than "I developed new techniques to use." Honestly makes me nostalgic for when I played high school sports (except none of us had superpowers lol).

What's next?

1. Cowboy Bebop. I've been meaning to watch this for so long. I've even had the opening theme on some playlists for years. I'm going to finally watch it though. Expecting big things. Though I've heard the dub is actually legit so I might end up watching the dub instead of the sub (something that I never thought I'd actually say).

2. Haikyu!! In a similar vein to Kuroko no Basuke, this anime is about volleyball so it seems like it'd be cool. I don't know if they have superpowers, but I actually played on a competitive volleyball team (never played basketball super competitively, just for fun) so I think I'll really like this. Now if only there was a water polo anime. That'd be so dope.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime