UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-17-2014, 03:58 AM   #1
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Tokyo Ghoul

MAL Summary:
The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.

So far this is my favourite show of the season, and possibly the year. I'd like to know you guys' thoughts on it. This show fits nicely into the Psychological Horror, Action, and Thriller genre's alike. The animation is top notch especially throughout the action scenes. The show definitely serves well to create an emotional connection between you and the main character immediately, and as a result this is one of those shows you can really get involved in. The Opening is a nice piece of music that fits very well with the show and the soundtrack fits too. In terms of shows that are like this, I'd go for Shiki (Similar concept and the eyes) and Deadman Wonderland (Same artstyle and just gives me the same kind of vibe).
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

This show is great. If there's a series that can restore my faith and interest in animé right now (after the piss-poor handling of MCA), this seems like it. Instantly exciting and suspenseful, Tokyo Ghoul wastes no time living up to its hype and getting you to sympathize with the characters right off the bat. Coupled with some beautiful animation and a kickin' OP, I agree with Midge's assessment that this could be the real big highlight of (Summer) 2014. Some parts are a little silly or over-the-top (and possibly skipped/rushed according to manga readers, but for the most part I'd say the pacing is pretty good aside from an awkward cut here or there). Overall though it's engaging and pumped full of cool action and horror. Seriously, check this shit out. I didn't know what to expect going into the first episode (aside from a vague spoiler I recalled when it happened), but by the end of it I was immediately left wanting more.

One thing's for sure: This looks a hell of a lot better than Twilight. *shot*
lilboocorsola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I watched the first two episodes. I wasn't compelled really - it's like seeing the ingredients in a meal rather than the meal itself. The components for what should be an interesting story are there, but it just isn't rolling for me. It isn't a show I got excited to watch, but also not one that I was so overcome with boredom or anxiety that I stopped. Tokyo Ghoul is the classic "wait and see" type (similar to Black Bullet), so I might wait for more episodes to come out rather than follow it weekly.

I was making fun of it with BBB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM
DCD: Actually if I wanted to troll UPN I think I could with this anime.
DCD: There are a lot of similarities with Mekakucity, which I can see why certain people are interested in it, and others aren't.
DCD: Let's see.
DCD: Title: [location] + [noun] (mekakucity/tokyo, actors/ghoul)
DCD: Young, hip people with super powers who all know each other or have serendipitous connections to each other.
DCD: They have abilities that involve "red eyes".
DCD: Those powers are related to death of humans.
DCD: oh yeah and hip J-Pop plays during the ending describing the main character's mental state
LOL JUST ADMIT IT GUYS THIS IS MEKAKUTWO: ELECTRIC BUNGALOO.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

To all those who haven't seen this show and might be dissuaded by Doppels comments, this show is actually nothing like MCA aside from a few minor aesthetic similarities.

And there is no J-Pop, don't worry.

Watching Episode 3 and will update this post with my thoughts afterwards.

Spoiler: show
So not too much happened this episode in terms of action or story development and such. But we got introduced to new concepts, being the CCG and how Ghouls live around it. We also hear about this 'Gourmet' figure, who I assume is the flamboyant guy at the end of the episode. And also, Uta. Less than 5 minutes of Uta and I can already tell I'm going to love his character.

What I do like about this episode, and how it was previewed in the last episode, is Toka's personality. We get a really good glimpse of how she is incredibly caring for people, and can act a smile incredibly well. However, she's also a hardass, and anyone who can't grasp what to her are 'simple ghoul concepts' she looks down upon. Like Kaneki. I like her character a lot, how she has a bit of everything to her. I'm really interested to see what her attachment to humans is.

The scene with the prayer for the suicide victim was also quite interesting, as it shows that not all Ghouls enjoy killing, and it is simply a means of survival for most. This also gave us a clue as to how Kaneki's power activates; when he or a friend is in fatal danger.

I also enjoy the use of sexual themes for ghouls and eating (not in a weird way). How Rize sort of personifies Kaneki's lust in a way from the second episode with the hugging and the voice. It was sort of mentioned again in this episode with the mention that Girl Ghouls don't like being watched when they're eating.

Basically there are a lot of things I liked about this episode even though not too much happened. And i'm really excited to see the next episode.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 07-17-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

So I got to Episode One and decided to drop it. It's not like the show is bad or anything. I agree, it's good so far and interesting. It's just that unfortunately I'm not really a great fan of horror as a genre and gore everywhere. The story is interesting, shame that I probably won't be able to take it in =p

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Yes, I'm alive, and I'm watching this show.

Just to be really nit-picky, I have a question about censorship related to Episode 4!

Is having blood change color three times in the span of maybe 10 seconds censorship or just "artistic liberty"?

Mamoru Miyano Dandy(tm) rips a scrapper apart, blood goes from red to pale blue, then gray and then back to normal red. Well, there's Dandy's magical suit that somehow turns from total white to red with diamond pattern when you spill a little blood on it. Yes, the whole thing changes when sprayed with blood from behind.

I seriously worry about the blood pressure of anime characters when they turn into freaking old faithfuls when you take out a single limb. :P
Old 08-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Re: Censorship

They also used inverted colors in episode 05!

I'm starting to get the feeling that Tokyo Ghoul is somewhat similar to MCA in that it's being rushed after the first couple episodes... 1-cour is looking likely.

Also damnit Hamoru Miyano why must you gay show up everywhere. You're becoming worse than Akira Ishida.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

*Akira Ishida fan* Akira Ishida hasn't show up in anime NEARLY as much as Mamoru Miyano. *only gets to enjoy Ishida in PSYCHO-PASS Extended OTL*

And Miyano does ham up every dandy gay guy to the max, I'm losing track of whether his character wants to eat/kill or just plain f*ck the main character! o.O
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
And Miyano does ham up every dandy gay guy to the max, I'm losing track of whether his character wants to eat/kill or just plain f*ck the main character! o.O
Episode 04 spoiler:

He made the kid take a shower. Seriously.

Though I'm sure that was in the original manga as well. Picturing Hamoru in the recording room saying his lines while breathing deeply into a handkerchief though... >.>;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime