UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #6276
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Maybe you should ask Doppleganger about the Bartender OST lol.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #6277
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I don't, sorry. :\

One piece that instantly comes to mind though is from a video game, not an anime: "The Fragrance of Dark Coffee," Godot's theme song from Ace Attorney 3. Jazz club version here. Same version but with rain here. (Not sure if you've ever heard this before, but some time back in 2010, someone discovered that you could combine Godot's theme song with this ambient rain noise-generating website to produce a synesthesic effect whereby you felt like you were honest to god typing from an apartment in Paris. It went viral and was passed all around Facebook and webforums and the like for about a week.)
Perfect (The clean song that is, Rainymood is fantastic but I need a clean sample)! Thanks!

P.S. If you're a fan of Rainymood and not just a fan of that particular rainymood song, try this one out. Pure emotion all the way through.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #6278
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Yeah, Bartender fits, although BPK gets the credit for that because I wouldn't have thought of it right off the bat.

Big O likely works as well. Maybe Gundam Wing?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #6279
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The only thing I remember about Gundam Wing's soundtrack was the sweet ass Two-Mix music!

And Endless WALTZ had a misleading name.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #6280
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Living Dead

Classified as "guro" but mostly bloodless, this creepy manga is about a guy who falls in love with a girl - who then promptly dies. He had written a letter of confession to her, but missing his chance to give it to his crush, he leaves it on her body during the open viewing of her funeral. That night, the girl reanimates as a zombie and starts to haunt him - and uses his confession as blackmail to keep her existence a secret.

I made sure to include "creepy" in the first sentence because this manga is definitely that. It takes a tragic situation and turns it into a ghoulish scenario where the main guy is held back from maturing or moving on by this dead girl, who acts like she does when she was alive within the limitations of being undead, and neither character can get closer to one another (it looks like the zombie girl is 'frozen' maturity-wise when she died) and the zombie gets hungrier and more savage over time in seeking meat. It looks like the main guy is in on a collision course with a bloody, horrifying end, all because he feel in love with a ditzy girl. As a series, this definitely takes me out of my comfort zone. It's not sadistic, or even amusing, just sad and unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
The only thing I remember about Gundam Wing's soundtrack was the sweet ass Two-Mix music!
BORKED
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #6281
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Gundam Wing was somewhat of a milestone, because when it was shown on TV almost 15 years ago, it was the first time I ever saw the Japanese intro song in an anime preserved for North American television. Watching it debut on TV with "Just Communication" playing made me feel giddy like a schoolgirl! It was also a significant step forward in the battle against censorship. Apparently, in the US, they aired a cut version and an uncut version later at night, where you got to hear the characters say the words "hell" and "damn" WHOA! This sounds like a really silly thing to get excited over now, but back then, screwing with the music and censorship was a huge deal with DBZ and even Pokemon (infamous beach episode where James has fake breasts). It's nice to see that we've come a long way since then.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #6282
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The irony is, I think people who got upset over the censorship were probably a bit too extreme. The quality of the American work back then - that is, DIC dubs like Sailor Moon and even 4Kids' version of Pokemon - was quite good. The music in particular was of high quality, I added some of the tracks from the original 2BAMaster and "Music to Duel By" for YGO and such.

When the music and scripts got less distinctive, creative, or what have you, that went hand in hand with 4Kids' decline. And ShoPro/VIZ Media/FUNimation aren't much better, as modern dubs are terrible even if the VAs are OK.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #6283
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yeah the Pokemon dub music was okay, but DBZ's was god awful. Losing the "Spirit vs Spirit" insert song for instance during the Gohan SSJ2 transformation scene was a massive blow. What's more, they didn't just replace the OP, ED, and insert songs, but even the background music!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #6284
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I wanted to go into more detail on this subject in my above post, but I was in a hurry and had to leave for work.

Maybe the reason why translators are under-localizing stuff these days is because they remember the bad days, and they're overcompensating to make sure that never happens again. This is how fans envisioned Higurashi to be if it was licensed (special thanks to DCD for reminding me about this video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28

I still would have preferred for them to not mess with the music in Pokemon, but I can understand why they did it, and they at least put a lot of effort into their dub songs (the early seasons anyway). It's one thing for an executive to say, "We can't keep Mezase Pokemon Master, it'll confuse and possibly frighten the children!" but the hack job done to DBZ was just retarded, straight up. It wasn't just the usual stuff of censoring away the blood, and the t-shirts that read "HELL" (cleverly edited to "HFIL" which stood for Home For Infinite Losers), they weren't even allowed to say the words "die" or "kill" (I think Nintendo had a similar policy for NES and SNES games). This led to the infamous invention of "the next dimension". Characters weren't killed after being disintegrated by an attack, they were "sent to the next dimension". There were other ridiculous lines, like after Nappa blew up an airplane: "Look! I can see their parachutes, they're okay!" And after Nappa and Vegeta blew up a bunch of office towers: "Good thing it's Sunday, so those buildings are all empty!"

The soundtrack replacement may have been the single worst thing. I mentioned the scene where Gohan goes SSJ2. Many die hard DBZ fans consider this to be the most powerful moment of the series. Imagine the wheat field scene in Clannad: After without The Place Where Dreams Come True. They replaced Spirit vs Spirit with crap that some Funimation jerkjob spent 10 minutes composing on his keyboard! There were certain dramatic moments in the show that had no music at all, and all you could hear was the wind blowing. Funimation felt the need to fill all of these moments with their DOOP DOOP DOOPEY DOOP DOOP keyboard music. At least the dub voices were good at the beginning, but Funimation eventually dropped the voice actors from Ocean and Goku suddenly sounded like Beavis. Just brutal!

Apparently Nelvana did a number on Card Captor Sakura as well. They skipped a bunch of the early episodes and went directly to the episode where Li is introduced in some bizarre attempt to appeal to male viewers. The boy and girl in Sakura's class who were in a relationship were changed to being cousins in the dub, because apparently a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship at their age is inappropriate. They obviously had to deal with the gayness and the pedo teacher who gave an engagement ring to Rika as well!

When I discovered the truth about all these censored anime on TV, it made me believe that all anime was badass and filled with blood, swearing, and nudity. Like I'd be watching the transformation sequences in Sailor Moon on TV, and I'd be thinking, "They must be censored to show only silhouettes! I bet in the original Japanese version they're all naked, hubba hubba!"

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #6285
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Ocean dub of DBZ was not that bad in retrospect. Yeah, some of the lines were blatantly bad censorship, but they came across as funny because the actors worked with them. In the FUNimation dub of DBZ, it was just lame. "Do you want to die?" in a quiet gruff voice is less menacing than "Don't worry little boy, you'll see your mother again...IN THE NEXT DIMENSION!"

Dubs in the '90s especially by Ocean > dubs now. Dubs now are just bad, and it doesn't even have to do with keeping Japanese terms unlocalized. They're just low quality!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #6286
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yokubou Invisible

A hilarious H manga, at least to me. It's infamous now because the censorship consists of large black bars, and allegedly it's the first of changes in preparation for the Tokyo Olympics. The plot is a loner guy discovers that when he takes off his clothes (at least to his under-wear) he's invisible. It isn't just "normal" invisibility either, it's similar to Meleoron's in Hunter x Hunter except when he interacts with people, like touching him, they treat it as if it's their overactive imagination, and cannot rationalize a supernatural origin.

Thus, he goes on a perverted spree. The second part was even crazier than the first. I'm not sure what you'd call it (18+ discussion):

Spoiler: show
His rival is banging his dream girl in a park. Rather than get jealous, he joins in. Is this rape? I'm not quite sure what it falls under. Anyway, the guy doesn't care about sloppy seconds and because the girl gets to "compare" the sizes, being porked by two different sized cucumbers in a row, she gets addicted to the main guy's manhood and dumps her boyfriend after the bang. It's kind of sad! But it's frickin' funny.

Man, singing the praises of this makes me feel wicked as heck.

Oh yeah, also, looks like we got some sample artwork for the new Sailor Moon OVA. Looks too manga faithful for my taste. Classic SM or Smile PreCure! style or BUST.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #6287
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Seto~

He sounds more excitable than I thought he'd be. o3o Thought he was more of a daydream-y type.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #6288
Talon87
時の彼方へ

A little bird tells me that if you love Hikaru no Go, you'll love Chihayafuru. To those of you who have seen it, I ask: is this a fair comparison? I hate to delay the Winter 2014 series further, but I may need to circle back around and watch Chihayafuru first if this is true!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 AM   #6289
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
A little bird tells me that if you love Hikaru no Go, you'll love Chihayafuru. To those of you who have seen it, I ask: is this a fair comparison? I hate to delay the Winter 2014 series further, but I may need to circle back around and watch Chihayafuru first if this is true!
I've heard good things about it - or at least got the impression that it was good. Haven't seen it myself though.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #6290
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
HOW DO YOU KEEP FINDING THE SHOWS I LOVE?!

Chihayafuru is about karuta, yes. It's about friendship and the relations between the members of the karuta club. But it's absolutely not as focused on the finer points of the game as Hikaru no Go: Chihayafuru deals more in the drama side and the historical/poetry side of the karuta cards. This might of course be due to the fact that karuta is a memory and reaction speed game - you don't have nearly as much strategy stuff and such to think of, like you did in Hikaru no Go.

I actually have a set of karuta cards purely because of Chihayafuru. It made me love the game, a game that's so much more than just a competitive sport. I still listen to karuta match readings because I like the way it sounds!

Of course, Chihayafuru was originally a shoujo-manga, so relationship-stuff is dealt with, but I don't think there was a single case of established "these two are dating".

I'll also have to "warn" you that the first few episodes focus, in chronological order, on how the main characters met as kids and the basics of karuta. I kind of like it, since it's well-established that these three are tight no matter how far away they are from each other.

(One of the MCs has the cutest most wonderful Fukui-accent. I just wanna cuddle him! )

I highly recommend Chihayafuru to every single person who watches anime. It's that good.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #6291
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I've been watching my stuff, but I haven't really wanted to post, because posting =/= playing Dark Souls 2! Though one show this week I'd like to comment on.

Sekai Seifuku Bouryaku no Zvezda
This week's episode was fun as always, but it kind of surprised me at the end. That freaking next week episode preview! It wasn't really a preview, but a little thing where two of the characters were talking about each other. I thought it was a really really sweet "preview". Of course, I always liked the thing between these two characters, so maybe I'm a bit biased towards it because of that. The show continues to be intentionally stupid, but that's okay!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #6292
Adamant
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The irony is, I think people who got upset over the censorship were probably a bit too extreme. The quality of the American work back then - that is, DIC dubs like Sailor Moon and even 4Kids' version of Pokemon - was quite good.
The thing about the Pokemon dub is that 4Kids wanted the show to be a silly, lighthearted children's adventure show full of running jokes, corny puns and pop culture-referential humor, and... luckily for them, that's what the show originally was. A lot of the reason why they treated it with the amount of respect they did seems to be because of that - it already was a show with the tone and humor they wanted in their shows. And because of that, while they'd rewrite dialogue to a certain extent, they'd always stay true to the tone of the series. They may have inserted jokes where there weren't any originally, but it didn't feel forced or out of place since there could very well have been a joke there in the original script.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #6293
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon: Watched XY019.

This is an episode that I know many were excited for. I wasn't, and I'm not sure whether this is an "I told you so" scenario or just personal tastes factoring in, but I felt like what we got matched what I expected to get. Which wasn't all that great. ^^;

I mean, it was an interesting filler episode, I guess ... but unlike many of the past filler episodes, this was one I could've done without. I'm so sick and tired of "Pikachu turns ebil! " episodes I could easily go another ten years without seeing one. I can appreciate that the tots in the audience may not have seen one before, but any child older than six or seven ought to remember the several times Pikachu went evil during the Episode N crisis. (Bulbapedia-numbered BW112 and BW121 are two episodes that come to mind.) While hypnosis is definitely a cool power -- especially in the Pokémon universe where it is so much more powerful than it is in real life -- I feel like the writers rarely use it well. And while this episode was arguably a better use of hypnosis than we often see, I still don't know that I would call it great.

One thing I did like about this episode ... or maybe "like" isn't the right word but rather "find interesting" ... was how Malamar was patently evil despite the fact that he was a Pokémon. This shows how time has eroded at one of the core pillars of Pokémon writing back in the Kanto era -- that there are no wicked Pokémon, only wicked trainers. This was something the writers stuck to for a very long time, but I'm not surprised that as the old guard retired and/or got tired of writing the same characters over and over again, they decided to toss out the fifteen-year old restriction on their writing and try for some evil Pokémon. I suppose it's not too late for the writers to reveal that they've violated no part of their code and that Malamar is actually a trained Pokémon taking orders from a wicked trainer we've yet to meet, but until such time as this is revealed, we have to work with the assumption that Malamar is masterless and is acting of his own accord. And if that's the case, well, then it's clear that Pokémon are just as capable of being evil as human trainers are.

Side note: Meowth's an obvious exception to the rule. But it's just as obvious with Meowth that he's more human than Pokémon -- and I would attribute his capacity for independent wickedness to this human side of him. Also, we have had wicked Pokémon before Malamar. I don't mean to imply that he is the first. Litwick is kind of inherently wicked and debuted in Best Wishes.

I didn't figure out Madame X's identity until several minutes after it was revealed that Officer Jenny was somewhere nearby. Some time after the commercial break (after Citron and Eureka were hypnotized) but before Ash confronted Pikachu. I thought this was a clever twist. Again, it plays on our assumptions from years of Pokémon canon that the creatures never act wickedly unless their beloved trainers order them to.

I didn't understand what was going on with Malamar's nest. It looked alien, otherworldly, like something from a science-fiction film or video game. Given the alien look of the pods and given Malamar's base of operations was a satellite center, I wonder if the writers are going for some sort of extraterrestrial angle with Malamar rather than (as I would have first guessed) a "mwahahaha hypnosis via the radio waves! :3" angle like they always do when combining hypnosis Pokémon with technology.

I enjoyed the nod to the fourth wall at the end of the episode with the Rockets feeling uncomfortable with Inkay on the team now that they know how fearsome his evolution can be. I don't expect too much to come of it though: I doubt James will abandon Inkay and I doubt Inkay is ever going to evolve either. The Rocket Trio may reference Malamar's frightening power as one reason for keeping Inkay unevolved, but it's not like the anime has done much in the way of showing trainers preventing their Pokémon from evolving. We don't exactly have a television equivalent of mashing the B button or having Pokémon hold onto an Everstone.

I'm not one for Pokémon movies, but I might watch the Genesect movie. I dislike Genesect, but I'm kinda curious to see what the adorably-voiced Genesect in the movie is like.

And again, I don't much care for Pokémon movies, but man if Diancie might not make me have to watch the one coming out this summer. I was totally prepared to write the film off until they revealed Diancie's starring role in it. Xerneas? Who cares! Yveltal? Who cares! But Diancie? Sign me up!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #6294
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Tenchi Muyo!

Wow, I rode this nostalgia trip on a rainbow. Listening to the opening theme on my mp3 player, I decided to try out the first episode - dubbed - to see how it fared on an entertainment scale over modern anime. At least the first episode anyway.

Surprisingly, as awkward as the dub was, it was pretty fun! The simple plot that would be derided these days as generic was effectively directed, enough to distract one from the lesser elements. I can only imagine the Japanese version would be even more gripping.

Hard to imagine this OVA is almost as old as I am, I'm senior to it by, what, 5 years? Feels like a century ago in fact! Almost a quarter century to be accurate!

Also, I know Muyo was always a pun, but learning Japanese got me to finally recognize it's supposed to be pronounced MOO-YOH instead of MOI-YOH. In that respect, it sounds much more like a part of speech and less like a name.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #6295
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

In all the excitement over AB, forgot to check the new Mekaku City Actors CM!

Seems like another guy who hasn't done many main roles... Guess they went for the deep voice like in the fan narrated version of Summertime Record.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 AM   #6296
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mujaki no Rakuen

All the boys are going nuts over this because an anime got announced. So I decided to read it, and it's...ok, I guess. By a famous H artist allegedly.

The story is decidedly self-insert and loser apologetic. A 25-year old NEET/failed programmer returns to his high school reunion (which begs the question, if he's such a loser why's he going?) and all the girls he liked in middle school are there, they're hot and they're successful. They also tease him about his loser status.

Wishing for a do-over, he ends up sucked into his middle school's pool (one of the "seven wonders" of the school) and finds himself back in time 10 years to when he was 15, I believe. With the maturity of a 25-year old, will this man become a junior high lady killer?

My answer is "I don't know". When exactly the guy jumped back is kind of a mystery - the girls and boys displace a shocking lack of sexual awareness, like they're in elementary school, but they're perfectly fine with passionate french kissing and intimate rubbing themselves through their clothes. It's a surreal scene because of how asynchronous these elements are together, you feel like the guy's traveled into anther universe, not his own universe's past.

The guy was attracted as a 25-year old, so you'd think that even with the massive social status difference the older girls were actually interested in him. This is kind of confirmed in the past where they're nuts over him. But you already knew that from the shameless premise.

All in all, I'm not bored reading this - it's interesting enough to see what happens to the guy, and the characters - for all their immaturity - are pretty attractive. I'm interested in which of the harem the main guy is going for in the end. Since I'm rather strict about monogamy the author-driven flirting with the different girls is just a chore for me to slog through.

Recommended? Not really. But it's curious. I'll say that.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #6297
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kaisa showed me this short animated series which teaches Japanese children a little bit about Finland and Finnish vocabulary. Called
もいもいのMoiとMoiMoi~かわいいフィンランド, you can find the official site here. There aren't any English subtitles, so you'll have to brave the raw Japanese waters if you want to watch. Be forewarned that the series ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, with promises of a big reveal next time ... a next time that never ended up happening, apparently.

Disappointed that there wasn't a MyAnimeList entry for this. Maybe Kaisa should make one the same way I made a manga entry for Meina's Owl last year.

Last edited by Talon87; 03-27-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #6298
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon: XY020 has been seen. But first ...

A nod to Sunain, who announced her intentions to retire in a blog post earlier this week. I only saw the blog post by accident; otherwise, I'd never have known she was throwing in the towel.

It appears that somebody reported to the fansub group that a YouTube user was uploading their videos to YouTube without their permission. When Sunain found out about this, I guess it was the final straw for her. I remember some years ago (I want to say it was around the very beginning of the Best Wishes series?) that they gutted the entire tracker and seemed to have dropped subbing. The group eventually resurfaced, along with all of their old tracker links, but the tracker page was now adorned with an enormous message imploring fans to not reupload PocketMonsters fansubs to sites like YouTube. When I saw that, I figured it was only a matter of time: either PM would give up caring about it or else PM would take the project offline for good the next time they discovered somebody breaking this rule.

I respect Sunain's decision when looking at it as the decision of an individual made for personal reasons. But I'm not sure there was much meaning in her retirement outside of her actions as an individual, taking a stand for what she personally believes in. Because with the PM group promising to keep on subbing Pokémon, there seems to be little incentive for reuploaders to quit doing what they're doing. "So they threaten they'll quit if we don't knock it off but when push comes to shove they just keep on subbing! Well okay then! Guess I can keep on uploading their episodes myself!" Mind you, I'm not saying that I want the group to pull the plug on this project. Nor am I saying that I think that would even work to their advantage in 2014. (We've already seen what happens when PM falls behind Japan by 6+ weeks: upstarts appear and promise speedy if low-quality translations. While fans like myself would be willing to wait for PM's return, I think many in the community might consider another strike petulant.) I'm just saying that it's unfortunate that Sunain's sacrifice will likely have little to no impact on the people who forced her hand.

Thanks for all of the hard work over the years, Sunain.

XY020, the Battle Chateau! I'd been looking forward to this episode for a while. It ended up not quite living up to my expectations but it was still an enjoyable episode. Taking things out of order (since I decided to lead this discussion off with the Pikachu picture ), first let's discuss Ash's battle against Tesla. It ... seemed rather unsporting of Ash, if you ask me. ^^; Here Ash is, and he knows that Nikola has brought his younger brother Tesla to the Battle Chateau for the express purpose of getting Tesla his first win and the rank of Baron. What does Ash do? First, he agrees to battle Tesla period. Why was this arrangement even necessary? Don't say it's because Ash and Tesla were the only two non-ranked trainers there. Had Ash & Co. not shown up, would the Chateau have turned Tesla away or bade him wait until some fellow unranked trainer arrived? C'mon. Second, Ash decides to use his strongest Pokémon of all, Pikachu. Third, Pikachu has a natural advantage against Normal/Flying Fletchling. But fourth and most important of all -- this is what really makes me feel Ash was being unsporting! ^^; -- he has a Fletchling of his own but decides not to use it. Oh coooooooome oooooooon! "You and I shall be dueling. For you, a Smith & Wesson revolver. For me, an AK-47. Oh, by the way: did I tell you that I own a Smith & Wesson myself? Damned if I can use the blasted thing, but I have one! Har har, jolly good!" Ohhhhhhhhhhhh fuck you! That is so unsporting. Had Ash really be interested in a fair fight, he'd have used his own Fletchling. But he knows that Tesla's Fletchling would kick his Fletchling's ass. And so he leaves Fletchling behind and goes for our favorite electric mouse-rabbit. Figures.

Nikola and Tesla obviously derive their names from the famous physicist / inventor / electrical engineer. So it was kind of surprising to see how nothing about them seemed to line up with Tesla. A, physically. Nikola is a stout, stocky fellow and Tesla is still just a child. B, the two boys use Fire/Flying Fletchinder and Normal/Flying Fletchling and not an Electric-type Pokémon. Strange. C, the boys are depicted as rap artist wanna-bes, not as scientists or inventors or geniuses or anything of the like. It really begs the question why they were given the names they were given. But oh well!

The head butler, Ikkon, was quite the distraction! ^^; Clearly voiced by the series' narrator, Ishidzuka Unshou, I found Ikkon's voice charming but much too distracting. We've rarely (if ever) heard the narrator guest voice a character-of-the-week before in the same voice he uses when narrating the show, so for him to do it here ... it was just incredibly, incredibly distracting. ^^; Not saying I disliked it. Just that it really took me out of the show every time he opened his mouth. Maybe if he guest voiced more frequently I'd be used to it by now. But this ... this was a shocker.

Pretty sure I said it before during the Santalune City gym battles and I'll say it again now: man if Viola isn't attractive! Man oh man was she attractive this episode. I was a little worried that I was an uncommon oddball in this regard, a weirdo to most, but when I was discussing this episode earlier today with AK2, a 4chan thread came up when Google searching for something and -- while I realize 4chan is hardly a bastion of normalcy -- it was nice to see that some 20%+ of the posts in that thread were comments on Viola's bewitching looks.

I enjoyed her role in this episode, particularly since it mirrors her similar role in the XY video games, but I was disappointed that she and Grant were battling over the title of Grand Duke / Grand Duchess. I like the game's take better -- that to get this title, you need to defeat every single gym leader and the Champion. And I'm not sure how to feel about the notion that Grant is a good enough battler that he's defeated Diantha at least once before whereas Citron, a fellow gym leader, seems like someone who is light years away from being able to pull off such a feat.

The battle itself was entertaining. Well animated directorially (although the budget wasn't always there).

I guess the last thing I'll mention here is my frustration with Citron in this episode. I'm not sure if I should accuse the writers of "sloppy writing" or not, but they had Citron say or do several things that seem to be at odds with his very character.

First off, the episode opens with Serena showing Ash a brochure for the Battle Chateau. Now I can believe Ash having never seen nor heard of this place before. And I can believe Serena having never seen nor heard of it before either. But Citron!? Citron's a gym leader of the Kalos region. Like all gym leaders of the Kalos region, he should most definitely have heard of this place before: and he should have a high rank here already too! The anime establishes that Viola is a Duchess so I see no reason to have Citron languish at Marquis level like he does in the games: make him a Duke and let's get it on! Or hell, keep him a Marquis at the very least. But he should at least have some rank! Not be going, "BUH HUUUUUUUUUUUH!? WHAT IS DAT PLACE!? :O" at the brochure along with Ash and Serena.

Second, towards the end of the episode, Viola spills the beans to Ash that Grant is none other than Shouyou City's gym leader. I can believe that Ash would not know this nor would have figured it out until then. It's Ash. We've been through this so many times with the lad over the past 16+ years. But what I can't buy is that Citron would not have known who Grant was. OHHHHHHH COOOOOOOOME ON! Once again: Citron is a gym leader of the Kalos region. There is no reason to expect that Viola would know who Grant is but not super-nerdy, super-intelligent Citron, the gym leader of the most important city in all of Kalos. Come on now. Seriously.

The thing is, I'll admit that my second point is pretty deflated by the ignorance of other gym leaders' identities displayed over the years by Brock, Misty, Dent, and Iris. So it's not like Citron's the first ever companion gym leader to not recognize his fellow GLs. But seriously. This is so ridiculous as to be unbelievable. >.<
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #6299
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm two weeks behind on Pokemon. I think PM is using some voodoo magic on their torrents to hide them from me. When looking at the translated torrent list, I always overlook their release, and half the time don't know about it until Suigin talks about the episode.

Also my favorite Pokemon artist's page on Pixiv is down, which REALLY sucks. I hope I can find another source for his art, because otherwise, his excellent art will be lost.

Also I've started playing Atelier Escha & Logy, which will soon air in anime form. I'll likely finish the game way before the anime ends, but it'll be a good opportunity to make a fresh comparison between the two.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #6300
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
In all the excitement over AB, forgot to check the new Mekaku City Actors CM!

Seems like another guy who hasn't done many main roles... Guess they went for the deep voice like in the fan narrated version of Summertime Record.
Ooh, I have actually heard this guy a ton! :3 And he's really good, glad he's getting a (I assume) high-profile role. I think he can pull it off well, too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime