UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #51
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I had missed all of this past the first edit since I had no idea you were going to just edit and re-edit your latest post to update us on your status. Wanted to let you know that I read it all. Don't have much to add on or say though, so that's it. But just wanted to let you know!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #52
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

I loved this game, I really did. It was very awe-inspiring, bone chilling, and even the twists had twists without untwisting. :P

But the real reason why I'm bumping this topic is found here in this link right here. Click it you know you wanna.

Spoiler: show
Yep, 999 got a sequel coming now.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #53
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Interesting. I'm not sure I want to play the Nonary Game again, but I'd certainly welcome another murder mystery visual novel. 999 wasn't perfect, but it was fun and I'm glad I was able to persuade several other UPNers to play the game so they too could enjoy the experience. I wonder if this game will be brought over in English though ... how strong were sales for the first game in the USA and Europe? I also preferred the visual novel-style "anime drawings" design for the characters in the first game over the 3D CGI characters they're showing this time around, but that's a small gripe in the grand scheme of things. What ultimately sells a game like this are things like its story, its puzzles, and its characters.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Pretty disappointing looking sequel. >_> It looks like we're not just getting the same format, we're getting almost the same story. Were this a prequel to the earlier Nonary Games, that might not be too bad, but it looks set in the future.

The characters look pretty outrageous too, I mean one bears a strong resemblance to a tribal shaman. I wonder if he'll turn out to be a pharmacist. The 3D art doesn't work for me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #55
CyberBlastoise
Team Mother?

Well, we don't know the circumstances behind this Nonary game. Perhaps we're not getting the same story like last time but getting something with two elements in common, the Nonary Game, and a boat.

Although I do agree with both of you in that the 3D art isn't all that spectacular, but a good game beats good graphics everyday of the year.

Fizzy Bubbles

PASBL
CyberBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #56
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Given the writer's affinity with parallel worlds, we're probably going to find out what happened to most of the cast in the first game.

Another clever trick would be to have Snake or someone else from the first game here in the second, but disguised. Give Snake eyes, and cut/dye his hair, and we'd never recognize him!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #57
quintowill
Soul Badge

Send a message via AIM to quintowill Send a message via MSN to quintowill Send a message via Yahoo to quintowill Send a message via Skype™ to quintowill
Just played this game like I would if I was in the situation.

Bad ending is depressing...

43ko 123tp 6.5 sp
Banner by KratosAurion

Note: banner is not up to date...
quintowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #58
deoxys
Fog Badge

Hi all, sorry for the necro, but I'm curious as to whether or not I should pick up this game.

I was looking into a game called "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward" for 3DS because one of my friends has it listed as his favorite 3DS title and I thought I'd see if it was any good, only to discover it is a direct sequel to 999 and that 999 is one of those games that's recommended to be completed first before the sequel.

I don't really know much about the game or if it's enough to justify this bullshit:

So basically my question is now, 2 1/2 years later after the thread was made, does the game still hold up in your memory, and is it worth it? Should I buy it for GameStop's ridiculous overcharge or should I just emulate it? Etc etc. Didn't really browse the thread because of possible spoilers so I just thought I'd necro it instead.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The #1 purpose in buying it, in my mind, was to support the localization team and to encourage them to take more risks on localizing visual novels. So if your options are either GameStop/eBay/Disc Replay/garage sale in 2013 or else software emulation, I guess I would say that you may as well software emulate. Aksys is going to see the same amount of money either way.

That stated, Amazon has 11 copies left @ $19.55. Though "Shark Distributors" sounds all sorts of shady ... ^_^; (As for copies with the original box art, those seem to be even rarer. Didn't realize they re-released the game with this new box art. Huh.)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #60
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, Doppel. Guess what I just learned? Uchikoshi Koutarou, the director and one of the writers of 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, was one of two men who co-wrote ...

... the Infinity series of games, including Ever17. :o

And check out the praise for 999's sequel. Huh. How 'bout that.

Sadly, history is repeating itself for Mr. Uchikoshi: while his writing is praised by fans and critics alike, sales of the 999 games have been so poor even in Japan that:
Quote:
On February 13, 2014, Uchikoshi revealed that Zero Escape 3 had been put on hold indefinitely, as the first two games had not sold well enough in Japan for the third game to be considered likely to be profitable. He said that he has not lost hope, though, and suggested that if one of his future games sells well, it could drum up interest for the Zero Escape series in Japan. He also said that he has examined crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter, but that "the idea is not quite persuasive enough", and that he is currently seeking out opportunities with investors and executives. On February 17, 2014, he posted an update on his Twitter account, saying that "various matters are now under consideration", and once again apologized for the wait.
So it sounds like he has the ideas already planned out for the third title in the 999 / Zero Escape series ... but that ChunSoft has told him "No more " and unless he can find some other studio to fund it for him it's not happening. It's KID all over again, minus the part where the entire company goes out of business. (Hooray Pokémon Mystery Dungeon sales? ^^; )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games