UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

What are you listening to?

What does UPN listen to?

Currently,

I'm, as per usual, listening to a decent amount of Nine Inch Nails, Assemblage 23, and VNV Nation, as well as regular rounds of Linkin Park's "A Thousand Suns", which is much different from their previous works in that it's a political concept album which is actually pretty awesome and very different from a musical standpoint.

VNV Nation's "Automatic" comes out pretty soon, and after hearing the album preview, I'm looking forward to it.

Other bands I'm off and on listening to include deadmau5, Breaking Benjamin, Deathcab for Cutie, Muse, OCRemix stuff, Kitsune^2, and Pendulum, to name a few. Also, whatever pops up on Pandora.

When I'm in the car, I tend to listen to copious amounts of classical music from local public radio. Also, looking into new things electro house/electronic/dubstep/industrial/rock/alternative/etc.

Oh, and for those who don't know of it, I discovered a pretty great music playlist site that I tend to listen to more often than the actual music on my hard drive for convenience sake. It's called Grooveshark, and I recommend giving it a try if you're into that sort of thing.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 09-19-2011 at 02:53 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Homestuck music and Disney music.

From these two I can get my fix of lots of different types of music.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Ooh, I'm glad we've got one of these.

Most recent album purchases for me (yes, I still buy albums) have been The Vaccines and the new Hard Fi one, which are pretty good Indie fare, more dancy from Hard Fi but still good.

My general tastes are a bit wider, so I'll check out various of the recommendations when I home.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Dude, I was just thinking of making a music thread! Clearly great minds think alike.

You can usually find me listening to generic rock music when left to my own devices, though I'm open to most genres. The bands that take up the most space on my hard drive would be Biffy Clyro (favourite band ever), Muse, Metallica, Foo Fighters and Linkin Park. So pretty generic.

I've recently picked up a few newer albums from up and coming artists, including some of this year's big breakthroughs such as The Vaccines and Ed Sheeran, along with the new albums from The Wombats, Friendly Fires and Example. Not had much chance to listen to them since the radio dominates most of my listening time.

As for the radio, I usually listen to BBC Radio 1 (generic pop music station but the DJ banter's good and they often strike gold with the Introducing program for newer artists) and Jack FM, which plays a host of vintage songs from the '60s onward (a lot of Queen, Dire Straits and Blondie, amongst others). I've got a wide range of tastes, only things I really can't stand are generic dance music and stuff like that.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I change what I listen to very often.

Right now? Madoka music. Homestuck music.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
I listen to all kinds of stuff due to being a part of a group of friends that all have very different music tastes they like to share.

Constant favourites for me have been what I like to call 'Radio 2 Music', including the likes of The Feeling, The Killers, Keane, and more recently Mumford/Two Door Cinema Club. I listen to some more indie stuff as well. But the main sploge of my music is either stuff I've inherited from my brother/parents, or Synthpop/Britpop as I'm a huge fan of both. (The Human Leauge, Pulp, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Blur etc).

I also have a thing for Metric at the moment. Not sure how long it'll last.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
Patches
Shake it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
It's called Grooveshark
Glad I read this, I completely forgot that place existed and went back to playlist.

As for music, lately it has been just a huge amount of anything. Found myself very into Arcade Fire though. o.o;;
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Spotify is great too. if you guys want invites to that, I can hand them out. I'm listening to a bit of Alfred Reed and Muse/Coldplay. Getting ready for Coldplay's new one next month!

Roglef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I'm more of a hard rock/metalhead but I don't get into things that are too heavy. Artists on my iTunes include the Big 4 in thrash metal, Queen, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC etc. I also have some Hindi music and some random video game music that I like.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
I listen to what is currently on Q104.3, a classic rock station. I may not know just what I'm listening to, but its pretty good. So that inlcludes Led Zeppelin, Queen, Billy Joel, The Police, Pink Floyd, The Doors, old nice stuff like that.

I listen to symphonic metal, techno metal, pirate metal, metal in general. Specific artists are Kamelot, Amaranthe, Nightwish, Blood Stain Child, Alestorm and Swashbuckle, and other head banging tunes.

Just got into a little jazz, hunting down albums hidden at home. I've been obsessed with Down To The Bone and Mr. Scruff.

Not done yet! Any video game BGM I finf awesome. And their remixes. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Powerglove and The World Ends With You are my soul.

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
Current Composers/Musicians in the mix of my playlists:
No Doubt
Incubus
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Beethoven
Saint-Saëns
Brahms
Wagner
(been getting into some early-middle romantic era music)
Masuda
Sugiyama
Metric
Vampire Weekend

This list often changes as I'm pretty whimmy with my music sometimes.

As for "what are you listening to as you read this", Cśardas by Monti.

Last edited by Ethereal; 09-22-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Roglef
Thunder Badge

<3 TWEWY!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roglef View Post
Spotify is great too. if you guys want invites to that, I can hand them out. I'm listening to a bit of Alfred Reed and Muse/Coldplay. Getting ready for Coldplay's new one next month!
What exactly is it? I may be interested, potentially
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Spotify is a great new program that started. It is similar to a combination of iTunes and Pandora. All of your iTunes tracks automatically get put into it, and then you can stream entire full albums of artists (a HUGE selection) and put them all into a play list. Also, it is not like Pandora where you only get certain singles as a Radio, but full albums and many even non popular bands are on there. I enjoy it very much. Only limited commercial interruption, and there is a paid feature to remove that.

You can either go to spotify.com, or I can send you an invite via email. I love it. You can connect it with your facebook as well so that you can see friends' playlists and listen to those.

>nobiasatall

Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Patches
Shake it!

Quote:
<3 TWEWY!
Me too!! :o
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Me too!! :o
I asked Daisy to draw me a TWEWY pasbl picture. It should come out awesome. . . since everything she draws is awesome. Super excited

Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This amazing song, courtesy of this amazing fan trailer.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #18
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
A Mumford and Sons album by suggestion of a friend.
Thoroughly disliking the experience.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Just recently started listening to an artist called Wolfblur.

http://wolfblur.bandcamp.com/album/t...hero-herobot-1

I love this. I've only touched the Herobot albums but Mind over Machine is definitely in my top five of favorite songs.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I'm not heavily into music, though I'm not exactly against listening to rock music. Mainly, though, I find tunes from Pokémon games on YouTube and just listen to those.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Bachelors of Science.

For music as a whole, anything that is chilled out or incredibly dirty dubstep, or anything Drum & Bass or Liquid. I'm open to every type of music, and as an aspiring producer I take inspiration from all of them.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Hey. So my friends and brother are in a band that I used to be in. They just released their first single and are looking to release an EP later this year. If you guys want a listen, I have a link to their page here. Let me know what you guys think please! And if you like it, you can sign up on their facebook page to buy their EP for $5 later this year. The band is called Ode to Anthem. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Hey. So my friends and brother are in a band that I used to be in. They just released their first single and are looking to release an EP later this year. If you guys want a listen, I have a link to their page here. Let me know what you guys think please! And if you like it, you can sign up on their facebook page to buy their EP for $5 later this year. The band is called Ode to Anthem. Thanks!
Oh, hey, that's actually pretty good stuff. Reminds me of a more upbeat Franz Ferdinand + synth, and that's pretty awesome. Maybe that's a bad example. What do I know?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #24
Roglef
Thunder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Oh, hey, that's actually pretty good stuff. Reminds me of a more upbeat Franz Ferdinand + synth, and that's pretty awesome. Maybe that's a bad example. What do I know?
Actually, that is what I had thought it sounded like as well, and I think it sounds pretty good. The mixing was done well for them not being signed completely yet. Well, if you have a facebook, make sure you spread the word. Link it and stuff. Haha.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #25
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Currently listening to Hungarian Rhapsody #2. Fun times.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment