UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

GameStop Giveaway - Heracronite and Pinsirite

So, I noticed an announcement a few days ago inside my Pokémon Y game. A new distribution event had launched -- players could download either Mega Pinsir or Mega Heracross, whichever one they can't get in their game normally, for a limited time. I procrastinated on it since it didn't seem like there was any rush.

Today, I learned that that wasn't quite correct. Apparently you can only download a stoneless creature from home, be it Heracross or Pinsir. If you want the mega stone as well, you have to go to GameStop and obtain a scratch-off card with a unique code on it. Each code is good for exactly one stone.

Supposedly, you don't have to do anything to get the card. It's a free distribution. However, many GameStops are reportedly telling customers that they will not give out the cards unless you agree to pre-order a copy of ORAS. From what I've read here and elsewhere, it sounds like the GameStops that are doing this are in the wrong, even though it makes perfect sense otherwise. Apparently there's a poster which you can only have if you pre-order, and said poster isn't going to be given out until the week/day of ORAS's release. But the card is different.

So, feeling a little adventurous, I've decided to check out the GameStops in town. We have three. I don't think I'll be going to all three, but I'll probably go to at least one and, if that's a bust, I'll call the other two and see what their deal is. (I don't want to call at first because I think I'll have better luck as a walk-in than I would if I called ahead and allowed them to prepare to tell me "no pre-order, no card.") I'll report back with my findings.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Huh. That is weird. Will try to check it out
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Destination 1: Tippecanoe Mall Gamestop
Asked the guy at the counter if they had "Pokémon cards for the stones." He knew exactly what I meant and went straight for the pile behind the counter between the cash registers. Asked him if I could have more than one. He said he could only give me up to two -- "one for each version of the game" -- but seemed more than happy to do so. I politely thanked him for the two cards and left.

Destination 2: GameStop near Wal-Mart near US-26
Asked the guy if he had "Pokémon cards with the mega stones." (I added a 'mega' this time! ) Like the first guy, he knew exactly what I meant and went straight for the pile, no fuss. I asked him if I could have one for each version. He acted like that was the most natural question in the world and happily gave me a second copy.

So ...

First, I have four cards right now.

Second, I am pretty sure that the way this works is, you can only use one of these access codes per save file. If I'm correct, then it's pointless for me to have more than one card, let alone four, when I only own the one copy of Pokémon Y and that's it. So why did I ask for multiple copies then?

Third, you have to understand that our town is never out of stock with these Pokémon things. I doubt anyone here remembers, but back when X and Y were first released, many of you reported that your areas were sold out on all copies and that if people hadn't pre-ordered then they'd be S.O.L. I then voiced doubts about that being true for Lafayette given my past experiences with Diamond & Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold & Soul Silver, Black & White, and Black 2 & White 2 while living here. I went to the local Best Buy ... and sure enough they had multiple copies of X and Y in stock. Went to the local Target ... same situation. The local Wal-Mart ... same situation. Generally speaking, Lafayette enjoys the blessing of being overstocked on Pokémon goods for its market. And so that means that I knew I didn't have to worry that I might be cheating local kids out of opportunities to get scratch-off cards from our local GameStops. Anything but. I'd bet good money, no hesitation, that there will be leftover cards at at least one of these locations (most likely the one near US-26) come the September 17 deadline.

1 + 2 + 3 --> I'll use what I can myself and then give away the extras as was planned all along. (To whom and how TBD.)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #4
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Do I have to down load the Bug for the card to work?
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Do I have to down load the Bug for the card to work?
I don't know. I don't want to chance anything so what I'm going to do is only download one of them at a time, not downloading the stone until I've already collected the bug. But I imagine that you can get the stone without getting the bug. *shrug*

Just a heads up: I've read that the bugs have a set gender (female) and nature (Adamant) but variable IVs. (And I imagine the ability is locked in as well though I have not read this.) So you can opt to soft reset for the IVs if you like but the other factors are locked in.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Huhadude
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Huhadude
Well I'm going to get the Mega stones tomorrow from Gamestop. I hope I can download whichever one I want or both.
Huhadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Just to confirm, last time I went to Gamestop, they did have these cards for mega stones, but they required a Pokemon ORAS prepurchase.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Okay. Finally time to bump this thread. As of this post, I have two spare cards remaining. I would like to help out players who were disadvantaged by some locations' immoral business practices. And I'm going to prioritize UPN before other Internet communities.

Here's how this is going to work:
1. To enter, just post in this thread stating that you would like to enter the raffle.

2. For best chance at winning, you must have a registration date of May 20, 2014 or earlier; and you must have a post count of at least 100. You can still post if you fail to meet either of these two requirements, but your name will not be entered into the raffle if two or more other people who do meet both requirements post stating that they wish to enter.

3. You must not already own both Pinsirite and Heracronite. Owning one or the other is expected. Owning both eliminates you from this raffle. Please do not be dishonest. This giveaway is intended to help out disadvantaged players.

4. Please do not enter on behalf of someone else. I will allow one exception for this and that is siblings 14 years old or younger. This may seem arbitrary, but meh, I have a soft spot I guess for the older brother or sister who is getting a gift for his/her little brother or sister. Ż3Ż All other forms of entering on behalf of someone else are forbidden. Expressly forbidden are: entering on behalf of another UPNer; entering on behalf of a friend on Serebii, BMG, Marriland, etc.; entering on behalf of a classmate; and entering on behalf of an IRL best friend.

5. No alts allowed.

6. The deadline is in 48 hours, at 9:15pm Eastern Daylight Time on Friday, September 12, 2014.

7. If two or fewer people enter the raffle by the deadline, they will automatically win one code each.

8. If three or more people enter the raffle by the deadline, I will randomly generate numbers using the magic of the Internet to determine our winners.

9. I reserve the right to update these rules as strictly necessary. (Any changes will be logged in this thread.)
I think that covers it. Two final things to note:

First, while it's highly unlikely that the codes on these cards have already been used -- I haven't even scratched off the scratch-off film yet! -- I cannot rule out the remote possibility that someone somewhere in this world desperately entered a string of characters that just so happened to be the code on one of these two cards. So what I am saying is, I can't be held responsible if I award you the code, you try to use it, and then for whatever reason it doesn't work. I am truly sorry if that happens. And it should not happen. (The codes are sixteen characters long and are alphanumeric, so 1 in 36^16 or 1 in 7.95 x 10^24 would be the odds of randomly guessing the code.) But if it does happen, sorry, but you cannot expect the other winner or myself to fork over a Mega Stone for you. Just tossing that out there right now.

Second, the cards say that the codes work August 13 through September 17. Therefore, I strongly encourage the winners to claim their prizes as soon as possible. Don't take any unnecessary chances by procrastinating on this right on up until the deadline.

Other than these two notes and the rules outlined above, I do believe that that covers everything. Good luck! And I hope that this giveaway manages to help at least two members of our community out.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
Heather
Naga's Voice

Well, I have a Pinsir in desperate need of a Stone. Entering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I'll just put these names into my hat ... *shuffle shuffle shuffle* ... and it looks like our first winner is ... Myles Fowl II! Congratulations, Myles!

No second winner because lol only one entrant. Were the rules I stipulated really too stringent? ^_^; Well, we'll see. For right now, I'm thinking about keeping the same rules and taking the offer to other places, but if you were someone eying this giveaway and wanting to enter but were not able to because of one or more of the stipulations, I guess it doesn't hurt for you to go ahead and speak up, showing your interest and also clarifying which of the outlined rules prevented you from entering. Like I say, for now I'm thinking of keeping the rules and trying other pools of fans, but I may change my mind and/or I may come up empty there and circle back around here anyway.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Well I mean I'll gladly enter if you have an extra available. I just thought others might want the code more than I did.

(I do not have both)

Last edited by Shuckle; 09-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Same here. I have both on my X. And only one on Y (well, I've barely played Y).
Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wanted to first see if there were any kids in greater need and of greater desire last night at an event in town. But there were not, and so even though we're pushing it -- today is the last day the code will work -- I'm ready to reply here.

Thanks for your honesty. Since it sounds like Shuckle "needs" it more badly, I will preference him, but he needs to claim his prize by posting here no later than 6pm Eastern time. This should give jolteonjak time to use the code if Shuckle doesn't reply in time.

In appreciation for jolteonjak's honesty, I'd like to offer a free Pokémon of your choice from my trade list. I don't like it when people feel like their honesty is punished and it'd have been better to be dishonest, so I want to reward you for admitting you already have multiple stones (and access to theoretically infinite copies) when you easily could have not done so.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Thanks Talon. (you're treating this too seriously but hey I get whatsitite)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
In appreciation for jolteonjak's honesty, I'd like to offer a free Pokémon of your choice from my trade list. I don't like it when people feel like their honesty is punished and it'd have been better to be dishonest, so I want to reward you for admitting you already have multiple stones (and access to theoretically infinite copies) when you easily could have not done so.

That's kind of you. If you have a male Joltik reject, I'd like a good Bug-group daddy to start breeding Bugs with.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Which is your preference between A and B?
  1. 31/*/31/31/31/31
  2. A/30/30/B/C/D where any one of A, B, C, or D is * and the rest are confirmed 31
A simpler way of asking this might be, which is your preference between being one step away from 6V and being one step away from perfect HP:Ice?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #17
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I would prefer option A please.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON