UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Sony reveals their blatant Super Smash Bros. Rip Off

BORKED

I don't call myself a fanboy by any means for any company, and rumors have been going around for a while that Sony was indeed making this game.

But then the trailer came out... and...

They stole the UI and EVERYTHING. It's like they said "Well, if we're going to steal the idea, we may as well steal the entire thing amirite!?"

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
That is impressively shameless.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I can't seen the video because lol Youtube but I'm amazed that it didn't happen when Melee came out.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
COME IT HAS ICE CREAM TRUCKS!

Actually, I think it sucks for now.

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That is AMAZING at how much it rips it off. Like ... WOW. It's not as if it's just the stage design or just the physics or just the layout/UI ... it's everything. They basically took SSBB and said "Let's mod it." What blows me away is how the characters float back down after they perform an attack in mid-air. It's identical to what you see in Smash Bros. and you don't see that in a single other fighting game.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
That is AMAZING at how much it rips it off. Like ... WOW. It's not as if it's just the stage design or just the physics or just the layout/UI ... it's everything. They basically took SSBB and said "Let's mod it." What blows me away is how the characters float back down after they perform an attack in mid-air. It's identical to what you see in Smash Bros. and you don't see that in a single other fighting game.
Well you do in Cartoon Network, Punch Time Explosion, but that's a moot point as it's also a SSB Rip-Off

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire

Last edited by Tuner89; 04-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
deoxys
Fog Badge

So I just read a quote from that Omar guy that I'll post when I'm not on my phone, but he basically says "yes it's like super smash bros, so what? We are basing this game off of the best of the best fighting games."

So he basically just flattered Nintendo hardcore.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Can Nintendo sue?

Because I think they should.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

That would be like Coke trying to sue Pepsi.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I think the big issue with this game for me (at least based on the rumors + the ~30 seconds I skipped through in the Youtube link) is that the stylistic differences between their IPs are way too strong for a mashup fighter. Mario fighting Marth? Definite differences in tone between the two series, but not so dramatic that it grinds on the senses. Parappa vs. Kratos? Not so much.

EDIT: This is also completely personal, but the game-stage mashups are kind of iffy for me. Were the developers really afraid that the hydra boss battle stage from God of War couldn't stand on its own?

Last edited by Blastoise; 04-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
phoopes
Double Dragon

I have just lost a ton of respect for Sony.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Ooh I'll buy this.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Finally I can play as all of my favorite Sony exclusive characters! Like Kratos, and Parappa the rapper, the ice cream truck dude from Twisted Metal and Sora from... No, wait. Snake from... No... Harry from Silent Hill... No... Um. Sackboy? This is the biggest problem with Sony's Smash ripoff- just who are the characters that everyone knows and is dying to throw into combat with each other. Personally, I think playing Parappa in a fighting game is somewhat akin to playing as Villager 1 from Animal Crossing in Smash Brothers would- really out of place.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Finally I can play as all of my favorite Sony exclusive characters! Like Kratos, and Parappa the rapper, the ice cream truck dude from Twisted Metal and Sora from... No, wait. Snake from... No... Harry from Silent Hill... No... Um. Sackboy? This is the biggest problem with Sony's Smash ripoff- just who are the characters that everyone knows and is dying to throw into combat with each other. Personally, I think playing Parappa in a fighting game is somewhat akin to playing as Villager 1 from Animal Crossing in Smash Brothers would- really out of place.
FAT PRINCESS! Duh?

But yah, this is the same issue I started having with the game the more I thought about it... That and the fact I wouldn't be able to play it since I haven't owned a Sony product since the PS2, though I DID make an account and play extensively on my friends PS3 to play the God of War series(which I even bought myself for him as a sort of 'renting' fee ), so who knows.

Really this is a kind of game that only really makes sense as a Nintendo Product, because they have so many first-party IP's, or as a television network's creation(as per Punch Time Explosion).

For those wondering, by the way, Punch Time Explosion, which I mentioned before, is a Super Smash Brothers game based off the early 2000's Cartoon Network Universe, along with some earlier works(Captain Planet) and some of the newer as well (Flapjack, and Chowder). It was honestly, pretty well done, but not as polished as SSB.

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I don't care who's there as long as I can have Kratos vs Nathan Drake. =3
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah, sure, Kratos vs. Nathan Drake SOUNDS cool, but let's face it, that's really super lame.

You can't tell me that a few bullets are going to do shit to Kratos? Or maybe some really horrible karate moves? Not to mention... I still don't think guns have any real part in a fighting game. I mean Snake just BARELY pulled it off in SSBB. Even then...

I dunno. I just think this whole thing's lame. Too much "SRS" characters fighting each other on non-srs terms = lame.

But if they get Kevin Butler to be the announcer or the final boss I'll reconsider.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
Princess Ana
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Princess Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Yeah, sure, Kratos vs. Nathan Drake SOUNDS cool, but let's face it, that's really super lame.

You can't tell me that a few bullets are going to do shit to Kratos? Or maybe some really horrible karate moves? Not to mention... I still don't think guns have any real part in a fighting game. I mean Snake just BARELY pulled it off in SSBB. Even then...

I dunno. I just think this whole thing's lame. Too much "SRS" characters fighting each other on non-srs terms = lame.

But if they get Kevin Butler to be the announcer or the final boss I'll reconsider.
You forget the Star Fox group with their laser guns.

My faith in Sony has been ruined. That is the most blantant ripoff I have ever seen.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Blaster guns =/= real guns. Bullets and whatnot.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Princess Ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Blaster guns =/= real guns. Bullets and whatnot.
Same principle. Bullets make no real difference.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

...yes. Yes they do. Since bullets stay in the body (usually) of the target, whereas blasters just cause damage. I'm pretty sure this is why Snake didn't get an actual gun in SSBB.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Super Smash Bros. played upon the decade-old question children had been asking: "who would win in a fight between Mario and Sonic?" They couldn't get Sonic, of course, but they simply applied the question to the stars of their other franchises. It didn't take much, considering everyone has his or her own favorites and could easily be swayed to consider the question of who would win between Nintendo Hero A and Nintendo Hero B. Then, about another decade later, we wind up getting Mario and Sonic in the same brawler after all: and everyone who was a kid in the late '80s or early '90s had his wish granted.

I was never a Sony kid so maybe it's not fair for me to say this, but ... I've never once asked myself "Who would win in a fight between Parappa the Rapper and Kratos?" That's as absurd as asking who would win in a fight between Marth and R.O.B. the robot. Now granted, those ended up becoming playable characters in Smash Bros., but only as 2nd and 3rd gen extras, respectively: never as launch title characters. Now you could say "Well, Nintendo's original Smash Bros. didn't have anyone you'd really pictured fighting either! " but ... I still have an easier time considering the fanboy question "Who wins between Link or Kirby?" than I do "Who wins between Parappa and Kratos?" Again, this could just be because I wasn't a Sony kid, but I think this is why the game's roster feels really weird to me.

I guess the other problem I have is, and no offense to Sony but ... Sony's "mascot" characters suck! Nintendo has Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, and (at the time) the very new Pikachu. When I think "mascot characters" for Sony, I think Cloud Strife, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and the clown from Twisted Metal. Not exactly the sorts of characters you see going at it in the same ring. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
Princess Ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
...yes. Yes they do. Since bullets stay in the body (usually) of the target, whereas blasters just cause damage. I'm pretty sure this is why Snake didn't get an actual gun in SSBB.
So does the metal of Snake's Fragmentation grenades. Besides the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Super Smash Bros. played upon the decade-old question children had been asking: "who would win in a fight between Mario and Sonic?" They couldn't get Sonic, of course, but they simply applied the question to the stars of their other franchises. It didn't take much, considering everyone has his or her own favorites and could easily be swayed to consider the question of who would win between Nintendo Hero A and Nintendo Hero B. Then, about another decade later, we wind up getting Mario and Sonic in the same brawler after all: and everyone who was a kid in the late '80s or early '90s had his wish granted.

I was never a Sony kid so maybe it's not fair for me to say this, but ... I've never once asked myself "Who would win in a fight between Parappa the Rapper and Kratos?" That's as absurd as asking who would win in a fight between Marth and R.O.B. the robot. Now granted, those ended up becoming playable characters in Smash Bros., but only as 2nd and 3rd gen extras, respectively: never as launch title characters. Now you could say "Well, Nintendo's original Smash Bros. didn't have anyone you'd really pictured fighting either! " but ... I still have an easier time considering the fanboy question "Who wins between Link or Kirby?" than I do "Who wins between Parappa and Kratos?" Again, this could just be because I wasn't a Sony kid, but I think this is why the game's roster feels really weird to me.

I guess the other problem I have is, and no offense to Sony but ... Sony's "mascot" characters suck! Nintendo has Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, and (at the time) the very new Pikachu. When I think "mascot characters" for Sony, I think Cloud Strife, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and the clown from Twisted Metal. Not exactly the sorts of characters you see going at it in the same ring. ^^;
None the fact that three out of these four characters aren't in the game. I would never get this unless it had Final Fantasy characters in it. Which it won't because of Dissidia.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

If only they could get all the characters in that ad they had. That ad was one of the best I've ever seen.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Mentions Sony mascots

Also put on that list Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, jussayin'. I was definitely more of a Nintendo kid than a Sony kid, but still, those three are three of Sony's biggest mascots, even if none of them have had a good game in a while. Though the main point here is that none of those three (that I know of) are in this game. Sly would be an easy one to pull off. Ratchet not so much, because of the use of guns, but I think it would be doable because of all the different types of weapons that didn't use actual bullets. Jak would be impossible unless they gave him the same sort of "moveset" from his first game, when he didn't use guns.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
>Phoopes
Sly is in the game, you know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games