UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 11-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #226
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
We're literally hours from a leak. In fact, we have a few seconds of one.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #227
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

LEAKS!

Stats, abilities of Meltan and Melmetal:

(abilities are disabled in LGPE)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #228
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Spoiler: show
Iw it wrong that I was disappointed to find out that they don't have Makuhita Syndrome (hayiyama's base stats are literally double its prevolution's) despite melmetal have twice the BST as meltan? In any case, the thing pretty much demands Trick Room to function, which is a shame.

A few moves got buffed, it'd seem. Absorb and Mega Drain are mostly there to make early game less of a drag anyway, but... did Sky Attack really need to be bumped up to 200 BP? Maybe. Solar Beam? Not so much!

The starter eevee seems to have been given a flat +20 to all of its base stats, so it's still pretty bad. Pikachu's stat increases are geared more toward being a speedy Sp. Attacker, as to be expected.

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #229
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What are the stats for Pikachu?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #230
Miror
Marsh Badge

Pikachu: 045/080/050/075/060/120; BST = 430.
Eevee: 065/075/070/065/085/075; BST = 435
Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Median Dia View Post
Did Sky Attack
really need to be bumped up to 200 BP? Maybe. Solar Beam? Not so much!
Spoiler(?) response:

I'd say Sky Attack could use that bump to 200 base power.

Nobody uses Sky Attack. It's a shitty two-turn move, and even with Power Herb there are better uses. Like famously Geomancy. Or even Solarbeam! No one wants to waste an item slot -- and on a one-use-only item, no less -- just to make v.1.0 Sky Attack usable when you could more easily beg Game Freak to give your 'mon of choice Brave Bird (240 over two turns with punishment), Drill Peck (160 over two turns without any punishment), or Air Slash (150 over two turns with a little punishment for you and a lot of punishment for them! ).

But now make Sky Attack -- née GOD BIRD -- a base 200 power attack, and now you've suddenly got people talking. "Do I go for Brave Bird @ [any other item]? .......... Or do I go for Sky Attack @ Power Herb?" Suddenly Sky Attack @ Power Herb becomes a pseudo Z-Move, allowing you to bypass the limit of one Z-Move attack per battle. Give it to a strong physical flier like Ho-oh or Staraptor and suddenly you're OHKOing everything. Give it to fast-but-frail Talonflame, coupled with even the nerfed variant of Gale Wings, and you suddenly have a nuclear warhead on a homing missile: a +1 priority 200-BP attack. Incredible.

I'm all for the change. I'd love to see them revisit this with some other moves too. The players figured out a long, long time ago that the return on investment for recoil moves is far and away better than that for 2-turn moves. I'd love to see Game Freak retool the 2-turn moves to make them a) as fearsome in terms of sheer raw power as they ought to be, as they were meant to be, but also b) balanced in such a way that they peacefully coexist alongside the recoil moves in the competitive scene. Maybe Brave Bird is the better set for Talonflame A but GOD BIRD is the better set for Talonflame B. Maybe Staraptor has to run Brave Bird (because he's running Choice Scarf/Band and not Power Herb plus he doesn't have the staying power to set up a 2-turn move the old-fashioned way) ......... except for on this one team where he can totally get away with running Sky Attack (AND SHOULD!).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #232
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I have mixed feelings toward that.

On the one hand, I credit GameFreak for showing enormous restraint when buffing Pikachu. This Pokemon has been their mascot and would clearly have benefited from some game shilling, but no they've kept it pretty bad over the years even with bones like Z-Moves, Light Balls and Extreme Speeds. Lesser IP holders have given in to making their mascot the biggest and brightest star in the sky.

But on the other hand...I don't think they gave it enough of a buff. 120 speed is unreal, even if Raichu is at 110. The increased bulk is fine, but I always thought of Ash's Pikachu as an offensive death machine. Though, I'm glad its mixed stats were buffed because Pikachu has physical prowess on top of its noteworthy electrical attacks.

Overall, golf clap. Not bad. Treading cautiously.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #233
Miror
Marsh Badge

https://twitter.com/Kaphotics

Quite a bit more coming down the pipeline so for those interested just keep an eye out here, lots of stuff making me more excited for the game tbh
Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #234
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That Solar Beam buff is way too extreme. Talon made a solid case for Sky Attack, but Solar Beam takes no time to charge during sun.

I'm not happy to see Grass/Fire buffed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #235
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
That Solar Beam buff is way too extreme. Talon made a solid case for Sky Attack, but Solar Beam takes no time to charge during sun.

I'm not happy to see Grass/Fire buffed.
To be fair, since there aren't abilities in LGPE there aren't any Drought Pokemon in the game, meaning that Solar Beam also requires you to set up Sunny Day every time. Still better than Sky Attack but not necessarily as busted as it could be.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 PM   #236
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gym Leaders

You can rebattle all the Gym Leaders postgame except for Giovanni. He's been replaced by...Blue!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #237
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Honestly considering everything that's been in Grass / Fire's favor, it's still shit so the Solarbeam buff right now seems fine. Drought was never particularly good at any point in its lifespan because of how hard Rain shut it down.

Also complaining about Grass buffs is ????? in general, the typing is not very good sadly.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #238
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

252+ SpA Groudon-Primal Fire Blast vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Harsh Sunshine: 282-333 (68.1 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Groudon-Primal Solar Beam vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 227-268 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Solar Beam got a 67% increase in power. That's so huge, it's within spitting distance of a STAB (+50%) Fire Blast in the sun (+50%).

I can agree that Water has many unfair advantages. Water Pokemon still resist Fire even in sun, while Fire Pokemon remain weak to water in any weather. But the level of power Solar Beam was boosted to is something you build teams around, because nothing weak to Grass survives this, and anything neutral to Grass is still basically taking a Bloom Doom to the face.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Venusaur Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 99-117 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'm pretty sure this or a Timid set would be a legitimate if such a Solar Beam is carried on to Gen VIII. Here, you see with maximum firepower, it's a 3HKO out the gate on a Pokemon with a x4 resist. Even a neutral switch is guaranteed to lose 50%+ HP, and you can't outspeed the Chlorophyll user in the sun.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 11-11-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:31 AM   #239
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Going to point out we can expect some moveset additions. Red's Lapras has Megahorn on it! Also I'm really pleased to see they made Play Rough a TM and hope it carries over to next gen. They needed a physical Fairy TM, Fairy often feels half baked to me because a lot of non Fairy Pokemon don't have access to the type outside of Dazzling Gleam and the occasional Play Rough as an Egg Move.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #240
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

>Absorb buffed to 40 base power

ABOUT

DAMN

TIME

Seriously! When they buffed Giga Drain from 60 to 75, they should've buffed Absorb to 40 and Mega Drain to 60. I'm hoping that's what we get in Gen 8, honestly- because we all know the Mega Drain buff won't stay around once we're back to games where Giga Drain exists.

Sky Attack and Solar Beam buffs are pretty cool as well, and my only complaint about that TM list is the absence of my favorite move (Sludge Wave).
Old 11-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #241
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

TM Learnsets:

https://pastebin.com/6w6STBtx

Of competitive interest:

Teleport has been changed to a -6 priority move that switches the user with another Pokemon on your team. The original effect was it would simply fail during trainer battles. This opens up switching moves to most Psychics that didn't learn Baton Pass, U-Turn, Volt Switch or Parting Shot.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #242
Heather
Naga's Voice

Too bad it'll do absolutely fuck all. I can't think of anything benefitting from that change.

Not even LC Abra will be able to take good advantage of that: the one time it wants to switch out is versus Alolan Grimer, where it's dead without Sash due to Pursuit anyways, so it can't even make good use of Z-Teleport to heal and switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #243
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Of competitive interest:

Teleport has been changed to a -6 priority move that switches the user with another Pokemon on your team. The original effect was it would simply fail during trainer battles. This opens up switching moves to most Psychics that didn't learn Baton Pass, U-Turn, Volt Switch or Parting Shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Too bad it'll do absolutely fuck all. I can't think of anything benefitting from that change.
I dunno. I think it could have some interesting niche applications. I think it could be rather potent in RandBats, though U-Turn and Volt Switch are already present and nearly as good.

I'm also intrigued by what would appear to be its leaning towards Singles in importance rather than VGC. Moveslots are precious in both metas, but VGC cares much more about "tech" than Singles does. And so with the normally good moves, the tech, and Protect all already vying for spots, Teleport would have to do a hell of a lot more than what Doppel's reporting for your average VGC player to consider overwriting one of their twenty-four moves with it. And yet the mantra for the last eight years has been, "Game Freak doesn't care about Smogon Singles. They only care about VGC." Well if that's true ...

... then why the hell are they retconning Teleport into a new function that does little for your typical VGC player but has decent ramifications for most Singles players who employ a setup sweeper that requires a guaranteed safe switch-in and/or a guaranteed free turn to set up?

I will be interested to see if there is more to the story than what's been reported to us thus far. Perhaps it passes stat buffs ŕ la Baton Pass. (I doubt that it does.) Perhaps it teleports in the next Pokémon as well as teleporting out the outgoing one, and insodoing helps the incoming Pokémon to bypass any and all entry hazards. (That'd be neat.) Perhaps this is all it does, but the changes were intended to incentivize retention of Teleport on a Story Mode team member's moveset, complementing the already-spiffy ability to teleport to the last Pokémon Center you visited (or other "healing spot" you healed at).
Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #244
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

When the description first dropped, I thought it swapped places with another Pokemon on the field. That would have had a clear application, since it allows you to play immunities/resistances instead of simply Protect or Wide Guard. But the -6 priority ruins it for that application.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #245
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
When the description first dropped, I thought it swapped places with another Pokemon on the field. That would have had a clear application, since it allows you to play immunities/resistances instead of simply Protect or Wide Guard. But the -6 priority ruins it for that application.
The move you are fantasizing about already exists. It's called Ally Switch, and it is already used in VGC.

As for Teleport's new -6 priority, competitively it's a boon, not a bane. In Singles, it means you guarantee a clean entry for your setup sweeper. In Doubles, the -6 is intended for its dual utility inside and outside of Trick Room: no matter whether Trick Room is up or down, you'll always be going last (and that's exactly the way you want it).
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #246
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Teleport's -6 priority is both good and bad. It's bad in the sense that because you move pretty much last guaranteed, you really run the risk of getting killed before you can switch out, which limits the number of potential users of the move. A lot of the time you're going to be competing with Volt Switch and U-Turn users for switching, which is a potential issue.

I'd still argue Memento is better for set-up sweepers but that's me. :p
Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #247
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

...I feel kinda dumb for actually thinking that Play Rough would be a bit less conservatively spread than it used to be now that it's a TM. The only lines that get the move exclusively through the Machine are the clefairy, jigglypuff, and mew lines, and that's not exactly all that inspiring...

(The growlithe and both meowth lines had the move added to their level progressions, however)

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #248
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Only 151 Pokemon though. I don't think it's such a big deal right now because the biggest beneficiary of Play Rough would be those who either struggle with Fighting types, or otherwise can't hit them super effectively *cough* Gyarados *cough*

Steel and Dark types are not well represented in this game. Flavour-wise, Play Rough doesn't fit with G1's Rock and Normal types. So that leaves the Normal and Ice types.

Jynx should get it, but doesn't need it thanks to her Psychic typing. Any Pokemon with a baby form though should get Play Rough (Electabuzz, Magmar).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 AM   #249
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

E4

Lamely, the E4 only use five Pokemon in their battles and each only knows three moves.

When you rechallenge them, however, they add an Alolan Pokemon to their roster:

Lorelei: Alolan Sandslash
Bruno: Alolan Golem
Agatha: Alolan Marowak
Lance: Alolan Exeggutor
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #250
Miror
Marsh Badge

No offense but I'm not sure why you were expecting 6 Pokemon teams given on the first go-around, standard E4 members have never had more than 5 Pokemon teams in literally any of the main series titles, some games even dropping that to 4. The 3 moves isn't exactly unusual either but it's typically not been across the board. As is, I just went through the entire learn-sets for all of the Pokemon in the game and they've cut out quite a number of moves for this game so dropping down to 3 moves for coverage doesn't exactly surprise me either. Another point in reference to earlier as well is it appears they've cut all weather inducing moves from LGPE, which combined with lack of abilities means that there is likely no weather in the game at all barring possible route weather changes, as well as Giga Drain doesn't appear to exist either which explains the change to Absorb and Mega Drain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News