UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

The FB Calendar & Time

So per request on the Discord chat, it seems like the Calendar needs some updating in a few ways! It should be bigger and better than the Serebii one Quite a few points to look into (some mentioned by others, some I thrown in myself for good measure):
  • Should the Pokémon days should stay the same as they are, or should we move them around a little to make it more fitting? Of course if it would be changed, we should apply it only on New Year's, to keep it as fair as possible.
  • Are the Pokémon presents good enough? If not, what tweaks should be done?
  • Should we do a "cleanup" of trainer birthdays? And by that I mean there's a LOT of member's names that we haven't seen since ages, not to mention there's still Tess & co's birthdays there (well, in the old one anyhow). Should we perhaps erase them all and confirm our birthdays again, so we only put the active member's birthdays in? (Anyways, if ever an old member comes back, they can still put their birthday in again.)
  • Are the Trainer presents good enough? If not, what to do to give it the ol' fair upgrade?
  • Should the calendar page itself needs some updating? I find it fine as it is, but as the person who made it, I might be biased XD

In a sort of branch of this (since calendar = time), there's also the questioning on whatever we should use as the official FB time (used for not only the calendar, but also for time-based things like limited time events, shops, timing for trading, etc) since we're living all over the place with different time zones. At the moment, we are currently using London time, including the Daylight savings whenever it applies. Should we just use GMT +0 time without Daylight Savings? Maybe we should use some other timezone that would be the most convenient as possible for everyone?
Personally I find it fine as it is with London time, since daylight savings applies where I live (although doesn't kick in at the same time, I believe) and the way things are timed, the start of FB Monday is Sunday night, perfect for me to take my time to post on my last week-end day and not after a long day at work.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Naru
Known Leafeon Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
  • Should the Pokémon days should stay the same as they are, or should we move them around a little to make it more fitting? Of course if it would be changed, we should apply it only on New Year's, to keep it as fair as possible.
  • Are the Pokémon presents good enough? If not, what tweaks should be done?
  • Should we do a "cleanup" of trainer birthdays? And by that I mean there's a LOT of member's names that we haven't seen since ages, not to mention there's still Tess & co's birthdays there (well, in the old one anyhow). Should we perhaps erase them all and confirm our birthdays again, so we only put the active member's birthdays in? (Anyways, if ever an old member comes back, they can still put their birthday in again.)
  • Are the Trainer presents good enough? If not, what to do to give it the ol' fair upgrade?
  • Should the calendar page itself needs some updating? I find it fine as it is, but as the person who made it, I might be biased XD

In a sort of branch of this (since calendar = time), there's also the questioning on whatever we should use as the official FB time (used for not only the calendar, but also for time-based things like limited time events, shops, timing for trading, etc) since we're living all over the place with different time zones. At the moment, we are currently using London time, including the Daylight savings whenever it applies. Should we just use GMT +0 time without Daylight Savings? Maybe we should use some other timezone that would be the most convenient as possible for everyone?
Personally I find it fine as it is with London time, since daylight savings applies where I live (although doesn't kick in at the same time, I believe) and the way things are timed, the start of FB Monday is Sunday night, perfect for me to take my time to post on my last week-end day and not after a long day at work.
I'm gonna attempt to reply to these in an organised way to be less confusing.

1. I think most of the days seem fine in all honesty, I don't know what they could be changed to to make them better. So I'm gonna say in that department I think we're okay. I mean my birthday is Rhyhorn day,
but I don't see a huge problem with that beyond personally not liking Rhyhorn xD
. I do agree that if others find a problem it should definitely not be changed until the new year.

2. I think the presents are for the most part okay. Obviously if gummis get a rework some of the birthday stuff may change. Contests haven't exactly been utilised a whole lot, but perhaps that will change and make the current presents pretty good. Trainer presents also seem pretty good! However,
I think maybe the amount of money gained should be increased. (Especially considering you get more money for a zone reply.). Some of my other suggestions could be:
- Pokemon gain happiness on their birthdays
- Money gained for trainer birthdays upped to $500
- the birthday gummi raises IQ by 6?

3. I like the idea of a trainer birthday clean-up. There's a lot of names on that list that haven't been around for a while. I'm all good with re-entering my birthday for the sake of organisation.

4. I like the calendar, looks wise. It's easy to read and I don't really think it needs to be fixed or anything. so I don't think you're biased

I think that the timezone we're using is fine, honestly. My timezone transitions at about 5pm my time each day. It works pretty well because I usually can't be on until about 10pm my time because work. (On Sunday night I usually do all Monday stuff after work.)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Some of the birthdays could maybe be changed around. We need to add Phione's birthday, actually- that's completely absent from the Calendar. If memory serves, Houndour Day and Sableye Day coincide with Tess and Arc's birthdays, respectively- that's not exactly a reason to change them, but if they'd be more fitting elsewhere, then I don't see why not. One thing I'd suggest is making it so the birthday for the mascot of FB (which was Milotic, but I suppose we could change that now if we so choose) coincides with the birthday of FB itself, one thing I always found odd about the calendar.

As for the birthday gifts themselves... Two levels, an Egg/MT move, a TM move, +10 to all Contest stats, and +2 to IQ, that all seems rather fair. Maybe up the amount the Birthday Gummi increases one's IQ by, but other than that, I have no problems here. Also, will we be enforcing movepool restrictions on the moves taught on birthdays (beyond Egg moves, of course)? If we're undecided on that, my vote is for no movepool restrictions on MT and TM moves from the Calendar.

As for the Trainer birthday gifts- the Pokédollars, Candies, and Gummi are all fine. Coins, may need adjusting depending on how we end up working with those. The Heart Scale, though- will these serve a purpose in FB anymore? If not, then I'm thinking we maybe should think of something to replace it with.

Cleaning up the birthday list is a good idea, in my opinion. The birthday list still mentions EBE, jj, and sbd, and I'm pretty sure they all went with Tess. Okiku's right- we can just have everyone currently here reconfirm their birthday, and anyone returning can simply give us their birthday to be added back on the list.

As for updating the calendar page itself... I don't know, honestly. I'm cool with how it looks, always thought Okiku improved upon the old calendar beautifully.

And finally, as for the time zone... maybe it's just because I'm used to it by this point, but I see no real pressing reason to change it. Maybe get rid of the part where FB observes Daylight Savings, if anything, but yeah- for the most part, I don't see an issue with it. The date in FB rolls over for me at 7:00 PM, and I've become accustomed to preparing shop/birthday posts prior to that time. That said, I'm not saying I'd object to it changing if someone else has a good reason for changing it, I'm just saying why the current time zone isn't a problem for me.
Missingno. Master is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Re: Days

We should merge days of species that can hatch from one another or share the same name. Nidorans, Tauros/Miltank, and Volbeat/Illumise come to mind.

Clean up sounds good.

For Pokemon birthdays we should up the levels to 3 and allow them to be taught 1 EM/MT/TM each.

For trainers, increase the cash and coins. Also there was talks of a Birthday Egg too.

Besides that I'm fine.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Some of the birthdays could maybe be changed around. We need to add Phione's birthday, actually- that's completely absent from the Calendar. If memory serves, Houndour Day and Sableye Day coincide with Tess and Arc's birthdays, respectively- that's not exactly a reason to change them, but if they'd be more fitting elsewhere, then I don't see why not.

...but in all seriousness, placing 'mon on the B-days of actual FBers has been a thing for a long, long time now, and if we're going to redo the calendar at all we should re-touch on that and allow it to be a thing again for those that have been here for some time. There's honestly no reason not to.

Agreed on the "if we change the calendar it's after New Year's" thing to keep everything fair, though. Even if that is forever from now.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

To me pokemon days seem to be missing
something.
maybe the gifts should have names like
Birthday Cake/Candy- grants 3 levels to a pokemon on their birthday
Birthday Berry (Juice)- grants the learning of any TM and a MTorEM move
I agree with everthing else though.

Thanks to my best friend Missingno Master for the banner
óÓŇň furry, witch, and pansexual.
Little (little age of 2-4)
Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
crazy in love with my boyfriend AcendedDailga
kawaiiconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Don't see a pressing need to make changes to Pokemon's birthdays (other than adding Phione's if that's missing), but if anything is changed around, going into effect at New Year seems fair enough.

As for trainer gifts: If Heart Scales don't have a use currently, then that should probably be removed/replaces, and I agree that Coin and Pokedollar amounts could be tweaked. Everything else seems fine to me.

Pokemon gifts: The IQ gain should at the very least be equal to whatever we decide regular gummis are worth. Other than that, if we plan to restart contests at some point, I don't mind keeping the contest stats. I'm not opposed to happiness being added (or replacing contest stats if it is decided those are dropped) once we figure out how happiness should work.

Cleaning out names: Go for it, it's easy enough for people to just re-add their birthday when they return, and I don't mind having to post mine again either. I assume a new thread will be made for it? I know the new mods can edit the old one, but it is still strange to have a thread started by old mods, and since we are overhauling it, now seems like a good time to switch it over.

Time Zone: Honestly, I think most of the people that have been around for a while are so used to it that a change would cause them problems. So unless there's a really good argument for changing it, I'd say leave it where it is.

Calendar: I've got zero problems with Okiku's calendar. No need to fix what isn't broke.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Little bit different to the rest of the discussion, but perhaps we consider allowing day-after gift retrievals? People are often rather busy and I know I struggle to remember to wish people happy birthday let alone Pokemon haha. I don't think it would break anything, it would just loosen up the system a little.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 AM   #9
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
...but in all seriousness, placing 'mon on the B-days of actual FBers has been a thing for a long, long time now, and if we're going to redo the calendar at all we should re-touch on that and allow it to be a thing again for those that have been here for some time. There's honestly no reason not to.
That's uh... going to be a problem for me and Lit, seeing as we share bdays and all >>"
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Little bit different to the rest of the discussion, but perhaps we consider allowing day-after gift retrievals? People are often rather busy and I know I struggle to remember to wish people happy birthday let alone Pokemon haha. I don't think it would break anything, it would just loosen up the system a little.
this would be a life saver

Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

I'm of the opinion that the Trainer Birthday gifts are abysmal, frankly, but a boost to the cash and a birthday egg would hush my complaints.

It only comes once a year, and I think I'm worth more than $200 and two Rare Candies.
Nerd Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Phione is probably covered under legendaries, in fairness.

I disagree with changing birthdays, its something Tess and Arc did yes but its pretty self-serving and as people come and go from FB we're going to run into problems.

Trainer birthdays should be better, I would be okay with a Birthday egg.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

If we introduce a birthday egg, I think everyone whose birthday has already passed in the year should be able to retroactively claim an egg in fairness, especially since the Egg House is MIA and unlikely to return in the near future given it's deeply controversial nature. :P

Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
Snorby
Snackin'

Birthday eggs sound fun, and the rest of the suggestions for buffing up the birthday presents for trainers and Pokemon alike are fair. Maybe we should have some way to compensate for Pokemon that have stuff maxed out/lack it entirely? Let's say a 'mon doesn't have any egg moves, maybe they could get an extra move of some other type or an extra level? Likewise, maybe a level 100 Pokemon could get an extra move?

As much as I'm tickled by the concept of America taking over everything right down to Pokemon forum games, it just makes sense to leave things at GMT. It'll screw things up for awhile to change the time, and honestly, GMT is fairest to everyone- For example, midnight in London is 9 AM in Sydney and 7 PM in New York. All three of these times are pretty reasonable. However, midnight in New York is 5 AM in London. And changing it to Australian time seems silly because at least iirc there are more of both Americans and Brits in FB than Aussies.

Any Birthday changes need to be implemented January 1st and dropped for the public to see before then, lest we have a huge amount of people complaining "fuck I didn't know New Year's was Numel day now rip me" if they happen. I don't really think they need to, though.

Cleaning out names should definitely happen. No reason at all not to; like others have said, any returnees can just repost their birthday.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Okay so here is a small draft.

Pokemon Birthday:
~3 Levels
~1 TM
~1 MT
~1 EM
~1 Birthday Poffin
~1 Birthday Gummi
*If a Pokemon has already reached level 100, they may learn 1 Unnatural Move

Trainer Birthdays:
~$1000 Pokedollars
~1000 Coins
~5 Rare Candies
~3 Mysterious Gummis
~1 Pokeball of choice
~1 TM of choice
~1 Birthday Egg
*Birthday Eggs are Eggs that will hatch 1 Pokemon from a Trainer's Memakyu. The Memakyu does not tolerate forcing a hatch. Any Trainer with only 1 Pokemon in their Memakyu, or does not have a Memakyu, this egg will act as an Enigma Egg. Shiny odds are increased on these eggs.

Thoughts?

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
That's fine honestly.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

Shit, now THAT'S a birthday gift.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Looks good to me.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

I like it

Hater of loss meme
Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #20
Snorby
Snackin'

good shit

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
Heather
Naga's Voice

Looks good to me, but on the note of Level 100s learning an unnatural move: what happens to level 98s/99s? They obviously don't get the full 3 levels. I'm fine if that just means "wait till next year, probably should have rare candy'd," but it's worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Sorry for being quiet for a while! ^^;

>Lit's proposition of new birthday presents

I approve of those suggestions too! Love the idea of a birthday egg, especially since a lot of people (including myself) did that anyways, timing the egg pick up so a Pokémon would hatch on my birthday.

However I want things to be a little bit more precise in terms of the choice of Pokéballs. As one that has one heck of a collection of them, I'm wondering what kind would be allowed to pick up (I mean, if we keep it general as it is, a Master Ball would be legit choice. And we haven't seen one in... since forever.)

As for Heather's point, I agree that it's sad if you don't get the full 3 levels. I wouldn't mind seeing that Pokémon that are are level 98 ot 99 get that unnatural move as a compensation of not getting full levels (and as a "congrats on reaching level 100!" extra gift ^^)

>Give a little more "birthday styling" to the presents

Sure! I like the idea for the levels of Pokémon to be from a Birthday Candy Cake. (I mean, candy cakes are a thing.) For the MT and Egg moves, we could put it in as a Birthday Berry Milkshake or something, that goes well with the cake XP

>Giving a day before/after wiggle room to pick up

I fully approve! I still remember when I was off for a vacation and I bent over backwards just to pick up my Pokémon's birthdays on time. And when it's actually your birthday, you're most likely busy celebrating IRL, you don't have time to get something like that!

>Reset of Trainer Birthdays

Cool to see everyone agreeing! I'll make sure to reset the trainer birthdays in the actual calendar, and although I dunno if I'll be SO'ing the revamped calendar or not, but if I do, I'll make sure it gets reset.

>Phione

Yeah, as Emi said, it is covered as a Legendary.
What I find strange is how Type: Null has its own birthday, when it is kinda/sorta a legendary... thoughts?

>Changing birthdays around

First off, I agree with Emi that we shouldn't change the birthdays to serve as a way to "celebrate" other trainer's birthdays. That said, moving around birthday to fit in for some holidays and/or seasons should be still accepted. Here's some examples of what I can think of of some changes:
  • January 1st (New Year Day): ???
  • January 21st (National hugging day): Stufful
  • February 14th (Valentine's Day): Luvdisc (It's already at that date though lol)
  • April 1st (April Fools): Magikarp
  • May 22 (Goth Day): Gothita
  • June 24th (Quebec National day): Mareep
  • July 2nd (UFO Day): Elgyem
  • July 4th (Independence Day): Rufflet
  • October 22nd (Fizzy Bubbles Day): Feebas (or whatever Pokémon we want as a mascot)
  • October 31st: Pumpkaboo
  • December 14 (Monkey Day): Mankey
  • November 24th (Evolution Day): Eevee
  • December 24th (Christmas Eve): Delibird
  • December 25th (Chrismas Day): Stantler or Jynx
  • December 31st (New Year's Eve): ???
(Sorry/not sorry, I had way too much fun with this)
Other ideas?

>Official FB Time

Ok, seems everyone agrees to either keep it as it is (London time (GMT +0) with Daylight Savings whenever applied) or change it slightly to plain GMT +0 with no daylight savings. Sooooooo which one is it? I kinda prefer staying on London time because, as I mentioned before, daylight savings applies to me too, so most of the time the FB "midnight" ends up always being at the same hour in my time zone.

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
For the wiggle room, I'm going to ask if we can have a TA-esque system in place where if people aren't around due to real life or whatnot, then they can be allowed a delayed pickup. Obviously it's going to need some sort of fix to prevent blatant abuse but it's a thing I think there should be.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:26 PM   #24
Nerd Violence
Sayonara Bye Bye

In the next year or so I'm hoping to be somewhere where there is no Daylight Savings, but honestly I'm willing to live with the disparity as long as Oki keeps the 'The current FB Time is...' thingie on the calendar. o3o So I'm chill with London Time.

Meet me at
Spirit ★ World

!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #25
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

1) New Thread

If Okiku and the other SOs would like to take the responsibility on of making a new thread, rebuilding the trainer list and confirming presents from here on out, I would be very, very appreciative. I am all for that, and will work with Okiku to see that done.

2) New Gifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
Okay so here is a small draft.

Pokemon Birthday:
~3 Levels
~1 TM
~1 MT
~1 EM
~1 Birthday Poffin
~1 Birthday Gummi

Trainer Birthdays:
~$1000 Pokedollars
~1000 Coins
~5 Rare Candies
~3 Mysterious Gummis
~1 Pokeball of choice
~1 TM of choice
~1 Birthday Egg
*Birthday Eggs are Eggs that will hatch 1 Pokemon from a Trainer's Memakyu. The Memakyu does not tolerate forcing a hatch. Any Trainer with only 1 Pokemon in their Memakyu, or does not have a Memakyu, this egg will act as an Enigma Egg. Shiny odds are increased on these eggs.

Thoughts?
After discussing it with Emi and EAI, here is our feedback:

Pokemon Birthday:
~3 Levels
~1 TM
~2 EMs OR 2 MTs OR 1 EM/1 MT
~3 Birthday Gummis

Trainer Birthdays:
~$1000 Pokedollars
~1000 Coins We still need to work out the coin system before we give out coin rewards...
~5 Rare Candies
~3 Mysterious Gummis
~1 Pokeball of choice, out of those available at the Dept. Store
~1 TM of choice
~1 Birthday Egg
*Birthday Eggs are Eggs that will hatch 1 non-legendary Pokemon from a Trainer's Memakyu. The Memakyu does not tolerate forcing a hatch. Any Trainer with less than 4 non-legendary Pokemon in their Memakyu, or does not have a Memakyu, this egg will act as an Enigma Egg. Shiny odds are increased on these eggs - requesting the shiny versions of Pokemon in your Memakyu will NOT guarantee a shiny result.

Are these edits reasonable?
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development