UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1276
Talon87
時の彼方へ

*went in optimistic for fun fan remixes of songs from the series, hoping for at least more than half of them to be something other than generic techno or trance*
*left feeling disappointed, cynically jaded that none of the songs were remixes from the series and all of the ten tested were generic techno or trance*

Okay. Maybe not all of them were techno or trance. Track 06, after all, was SCREAMO DEATH METAL.

What do these even have to do with the My Little Pony franchise? These are just bronies promoting their own artwork. You may as well stick Boba Fett's or Snuffleupagus's face on their instead of Pinkie Pie's. I mean, I guess it's cool that the bronies came together and made this album for fans of this sort of music? But I feel cheated that this is being passed off as an MLP album. It's anything but.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #1277
Sneaze
Mrow?

Congrats, Talon, you have discovered something people have known since the album first started being made. The album is popular because it shows that all these artists can get together to do something big. Additionally, and don't quote me on this as my sources can sometimes be sketchy, but the album was meant to not be pony related to avoid multiple songs being remixes of songs that would come out later in season 2. I mean, this album started being worked on prior to Smile coming out. Could you imagine how much of it would end up being remixes of either Smile or This Day Aria if they didn't set it up this way? And of course, the biggest couple of things here are that while they do do pony music, that does in no way mean that that is all they do. It's nice to see what they can do without the use of samples from the show, or even samples from other songs. As for the tchno and trance, it's popular in the fandom, so what do you expect from an album meant to raise money to help all of these artists get to Bronycon?

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #1278
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Congrats, Talon, you have discovered something people have known since the album first started being made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
IT'S FINALLY HERE

The biggest fucking MLP album yet.
I don't think I'm out of bounds to express disappointment that I went in expecting fan remixes of actual MLP songs nor do I think I am out of bounds for expressing surprise that what was on the inside didn't even have anything to do with MLP.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #1279
deoxys
Fog Badge

Talon I've only heard the first 10 songs, and one of them was a remix of Hush Now Quiet Now, others told pony stories or were themed (Everfree), what are you talking about?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #1280
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Talon I've only heard the first 10 songs, and one of them was a remix of Hush Now Quiet Now, others told pony stories or were themed (Everfree), what are you talking about?
Huh, there are remixes... odd, I heard from one of the artists that there was an agreement not to make remixes (though apparently themes were okay).

Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #1281
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Huh, there are remixes... odd, I heard from one of the artists that there was an agreement not to make remixes (though apparently themes were okay).
One of my friends does remixes of MLP, and they are pretty good too. And maybe the artist tried too be a rebel, and break the rules.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #1282
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Kadota
Quote:
IT'S FINALLY HERE

The biggest fucking MLP album yet. Balloon Party is finally out, actually got so popular that it broke bandcamp for a bit and is now the #1 selling album on Bandcamp.

http://balloonparty.bandcamp.com/

Pay what you want, or get it for free. Paying helps the artists get to Bronycon though.

45 new tracks! CHEERS
Already have it downloaded and am listening to it as I type this. Some of the songs are... interesting, but most of them are fantastic!

Oh, by the way, hello there again everybody. Sorry for my... absence. Guess I caught an antisocial bug for a little while. ^^; I'm better now, though! I should be online more often.

Also what Sneezy said is true -- I am currently doing commissions. They can be of whatever you like! Pony, human, dragon, etc. Well, I'm not good at backgrounds, but I can do pretty much anything else. You name it, I'll draw it.

My prices are small, I promise.

Sketch -- $5.00
Colored & Shaded Picture -- $10.00
Colored, Shaded + Background -- $15.00

If you would support me and Sneezy in our efforts to make money so we can attend BronyCon and visit his family in PA, we would be eternally grateful!

Kadota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #1283
deoxys
Fog Badge

Basically, if you don't like dubstep, don't even bother listening to this album.

I don't mind it, and I love electronic music, but I listened to about 15 songs before I got really wubbed out. I think I've heard more bass drops tonight than I thought even existed.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #1284
deoxys
Fog Badge

Can I just say, this is probably my favorite song on Balloon Party, and FOR WHATEVER REASON,

THE SOUND CLIPS HAVE MADE ME LIKE RAINBOW DASH MORE.

SHUT UP. THE WORLD MUST BE ENDING OR SOMETHING.

BORKED

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 06-06-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #1285
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Can I just say, this is probably my favorite song on Balloon Party, and FOR WHATEVER REASON,

THE SOUND CLIPS HAVE MADE ME LIKE RAINBOW DASH MORE.

SHUT UP. THE WORLD MUST BE ENDING OR SOMETHING.

BORKED
That one IS pretty good, true. My favorite though is "Dregs of a Bitter Cup" by Makkon. (For anyone who cares, btw, Makkon happens to live in Utah like me and Sneezy do. Even more awesome, he lives SEVEN MILES AWAY. That's barely anything! O___O)

Truly, this song is magnificent.

BORKED

Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #1286
deoxys
Fog Badge

I enjoyed the ArtAttack remix more.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1287
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

:/ Yeah, but the ArtAttack "Remix" is just that... a remix.

Original work is beautiful because it's original. >> At least, that's MY opinion...

Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #1288
Allishinca
Boulder Badge

Love My Little Pony, and wish the new season would start soon. :3
Allishinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #1289
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #1290
RaichuRocks
My Thoughts Protect You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Spike Approves
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #1291
deoxys
Fog Badge

So check out this bullshit.

"Q: How do I get an Autograph?
A: Head up to the convention store at any time during the day, and pick up an autograph voucher. ($30 for John de Lancie, Lauren Faust, and Tara Strong; $20 for all other guests.) Then, when they come out to sign autographs, get in the autograph line and do your thing!
Q: How many items can I get autographed?
A: Each autograph voucher entitles you to one signature.
Edit: Apparently from what I have read online this appears to be a fairly common thing at Cons, at least from the limited research I did."

I'm already paying a fuckload for this convention. What the fuck?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #1292
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
That's a lot to pay for an autograph =x
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #1293
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Yep, that's pretty much the going rate for cons. I was kind of miffed to find out about con rates in the first place- I reacted something like this:

but such is the way of the world- and it's how the VAs justify spending all day with fans rather than doing work or actually taking some time away for their families. No matter how much you love your fans, dealing with thousands of crazed folks with often questionable hygiene (present company excluded of course) is high stress.

A good con will generally include one autograph voucher in your entry price though, so it's disappointing that Bronycon isn't.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #1294
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, you could flip that around and say, "I'm glad I'm only paying $X to go instead of $X+30 just to cover the cost of an autograph I'm not even going to get!" IMO it's far more polite to the con goers to ask them to pay for their own purchases than to treat it as a shared cost to be paid for by everybody. The same thing hopefully also applies to concerts but I don't know.

That stated, I'm surprised that getting an autograph costs money. Have never heard of that before and it seems very stingy to me, Muyo's sensible devil's advocacy notwithstanding. $30 for one autograph (or is it saying $30 nets you all three?) seems pretty ridiculous to me. You're John de Lancie, not Albert Einstein or Michael Jordan. The fans are the only reason you're in this position in the first place. (You don't see them busting out the autograph mat for the guys who voiced the Minotaur or the punk dragon, do you?) $30 for 10 seconds of your time ... geez, dude. I think of this sort of thing as paying the piper: this is part of his basic dues back to the fandom for them making him what he is.

If that price really is per signatory, though, then that's crazy. $80 for Lauren, Twilight, and Discord, $60 more for the others of the Mane Six, $40 for Celestia and Luna ... that's $180 right there and we haven't even gotten to the CMCs or Queen Chrysalis or Spike. And now we know why the crazy eBay people sell posters signed by the entire cast for like $200 a pop!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #1295
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doing the math, if we assume the autographers get to keep 100% of the voucher money (say the con gets no cut of it because getting the stars to agree to come and sign autographs is in the first place what is selling con tickets for them), and if we make a very casual assumption of one signature per 30 seconds for two hours, that's 240 signatures x $30 per signature = $7,200. Not bad. Not bad at all. Covers airfare, hotel costs, expensive wining and dining, and still leaves you with $5,000 tax-free dollars.

And that's if you assume "only" 240 autographs. Double that figure and you double the purse.

Come to think of it, though, charging people for the autographs may in part be a crowd-controlling measure. If word got around that John was handing out signatures for free, that line would probably be 1,000 bronies long. Which may not seem like a lot of sigs but that's like three solid hours (no breaks) at one sig every 10 seconds. That'd be wearying for anybody. As much as we all hate aristocracy, controlling the crowd / the size of the line by having John charge $30 per autograph is probably what helps to limit that line to the more manageable 240 or so people. Everyone else mumble grumbles and goes along on their way enjoying the other sights and sounds of the convention.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you're cheap then the worst place to get someone's autograph is at a convention. Better to run into them at an airport or a restaurant or something. When the length of the line is one, the star may be more willing to give you a quick sign for free than when the "line" is 20,000 in attendance.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #1296
Sneaze
Mrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Come to think of it, though, charging people for the autographs may in part be a crowd-controlling measure. If word got around that John was handing out signatures for free, that line would probably be 1,000 bronies long. Which may not seem like a lot of sigs but that's like three solid hours (no breaks) at one sig every 10 seconds. That'd be wearying for anybody. As much as we all hate aristocracy, controlling the crowd / the size of the line by having John charge $30 per autograph is probably what helps to limit that line to the more manageable 240 or so people. Everyone else mumble grumbles and goes along on their way enjoying the other sights and sounds of the convention.
This is the exact reason the vouchers are so expensive. There is a cap of 4,000 people for the con, and no VA wants to be signing autographs for 12 hours straight. Additionally, if the cost was covered in the ticket price, then you have the problem of people lining up in lines that take over two hours, sucking away from the fun that is the rest of the con, and in some cases not even guaranteeing getting an autograph (I've had autograph lines get closed on me when I'm literally the next person in line and I've been waiting for hours at big cons, it sucks, it's a waste of your time, and it makes you wish you hadn't payed the outrageous price to get there in the first place).

But the big thing here is this: THERE WILL BE OTHER CONS. If you don't have the money to get the autographs this time around, save up and come to a con in the future for the rest of the autographs.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that, unlike many cons, the voucher also entitles you to a picture with whosoever it is used for, so it's really a lot move of a value than just an autograph.

Last edited by Sneaze; 06-12-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #1297
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Well, as a BronyCon staffer... yeah, crowd control is a big worry.

That's 4,000 raving bronies who are DYING to see their 'Gods' of John de Lancie and Lauren Faust! (Not saying they are Gods, of course, but to "Bronydom" they almost are.)

Plus the staff isn't that big either. Imagine trying to hold back 2,000+ bronies who are dying to get the signatures of the VAs. Scaaaary!

There has to be limits because us staffers can't do everything in person -- there are prices and rules for a reason.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #1298
deoxys
Fog Badge

I know, it just really blows that I'm already strapped for cash as it is, and I was looking forward to trying to get them all to autograph maybe my poster, but that's... it's too much... in fact, I don't think I want to pay for any autograph and picture at all

If I did, it would only be for Tara and Lauren.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #1299
Kadota
Pokemon Trainer

Well, Tara and Lauren are definitely worth it! Good luck!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #1300
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

They're coming!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment