UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #51
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
If people are remembering OoT for the story then they are seriously grasping at the dregs. OoT's story was pretty much generic Zelda fare, and nothing that stood out from the generic formula. OoT's the game that brought Zelda into 3d, and that's why it's hyped as amazing: It was so completely different. Hence people's love of BotW, it's different.
This is incorrect. Ocarina gave names & identities to characters, breathed into them personality and gifted them with backstory. You also got to see character development, not the least of which was of Link himself. Only the general flow of the plot is the same, which is literally the Hero's Journey formula.

The original Zelda, and even ALTTP, could be conflated with a Dungeons & Dragons game. It's only a step further away than Final Fantasy was. Ocarina established itself as its own universe.

3D was definitely a selling point for Ocarina but Majora's Mask came out not long after, using the same engine, and was hit or miss with audiences. The main problem was people not taking to the darker edge story and the smaller stakes compared to Ocarina. MM was also different, but not in a way that was embraced by fans.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:26 AM   #52
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I plan on getting this game and a Switch sometime in May/June. I don't know if my patience will be able to hold up, but that's the plan atleast.

Besides equipment, can you customize your Link? Even something where maybe you can maybe increase your archery, swordplay, or magic items would be nice.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:48 AM   #53
Miror
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I plan on getting this game and a Switch sometime in May/June. I don't know if my patience will be able to hold up, but that's the plan atleast.

Besides equipment, can you customize your Link? Even something where maybe you can maybe increase your archery, swordplay, or magic items would be nice.
There are no character stats if that's what you're referring to.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 AM   #54
Selena
Aroma Lady

But you CAN find certain bows who shoot further or have other neat effects, same with swords.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #55
Miror
Marsh Badge

Details for the first BotW DLC pack have been announced, and it looks pretty sexy:

Trial of the Sword: By accessing this location, players can challenge the new Trial of the Sword (previously known as “Cave of Trials Challenge”), where enemies appear one after another. Link starts without any armor or weapons, and if he defeats all of the enemies in the room he can proceed to the next area. Trial of the Sword will include around 45 total rooms for players to complete. When Link clears all of the trials, the true power of the Master Sword will awaken and always be in its glowing powered-up state.

Hard Mode: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is already considered one of the most thrilling games in The Legend of Zelda series, and fans looking for a challenge are in for a treat with the new Hard Mode. In Hard Mode, the “ranks” of enemies in the game are increased (i.e. Red Bokoblins change to Blue), and players might even encounter higher-ranking enemies they wouldn’t find through normal play. Enemies will also slowly recover health in battle, forcing you to defeat them more quickly. They will also more easily spot Link as he approaches them, making these enemies tougher to sneak up on. In addition, floating planks held aloft by balloons will be scattered around Hyrule. By successfully reaching these planks, players can battle enemies and collect treasure.

Hero’s Path Mode:
Exploring Hyrule is exciting, but with such a large world it’s sometimes hard for players to remember where they’ve been. To help with tracking progress, the new Hero’s Path Mode will document every step players take, and mark their path in green on the map. The route taken will be tracked for the player’s last 200 hours of play time, with an included slider to track footsteps on a timeline. This even works retroactively, so players that have already put many hours into the game will be able to see where they have traveled. This feature will help in identifying the locations they haven’t visited in this vast world, and may help players find those Shrines they haven’t encountered yet.

Travel Medallion:
There will be a new treasure chest somewhere in the game world which contains the Travel Medallion. With the Travel Medallion, players can create a temporary new travel point on the map where they are currently standing. Link can then transport himself to that point at any time. Only one travel point can be registered on the map at a time.

Korok Mask: By finding the new Korok Mask, players will have a much easier time finding Korok locations in the game. When equipped, the mask will shake, indicating that a Korok is hidden somewhere nearby.

New Equipment: Eight new pieces of equipment inspired by previous characters and games in the series will be added to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild after downloading the first DLC pack. Once discovered by the player, they will yield equipment themed after fan-favorite games and characters such as Midna, Tingle, Phantom and Majora’s Mask.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15 AM   #56
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Three of those things sound like base-game features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #57
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
>fan favourite characters
>tingle

nintendo are you having a giraffe

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #58
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm sorry are you saying you don't want to dress Link up in Tingle's body stocking? Because if not, what the actual hell is wrong with you?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #59
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
The thing that is wrong with me is that I'm old and Link is notably younger than me, probably. Also, Tingle. I rest my case.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #60
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Not seeing your point at all, Tingle's fucking great.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 05-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #61
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Tingle is apparently really popular in Japsville so that's probably why. Still waiting for them to bring out the unsurprising surprise skins packs so you can actually play as Young Link/Toon Link/Linkle/Hero's Shade.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #62
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Three of those things sound like base-game features.
Having thought this over, all of these things except the cameo equipment stuff sound like it should be in the base game.

So fuck that. Between this and the appallingly expensive season pass for Shadows of Valentia, Nintendo are really starting to take the piss with DLC.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 05-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #63
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I started playing this. So far I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm just having difficulties getting used to the controls. The "3D Zelda controls" ingrained in me are different in this game, so I sometimes blow myself up or fail to guard/dodge.

One thing I find amusing is your dialogue options. You ask some of the most dumb/inappropriate questions of some people. (Random NPC dialogue "spoilers")
Spoiler: show
I start talking to a random Zora, and Link goes "Are you a girl?!", then proceeds to ask her age.

I start talking to a blacksmith, and I ask "What are you doing?". He goes "making weapons." You respond "Weapons?" the smith explains, and I keep inquiring about obvious things.

Finally we get a girl going on about a birth mark, and his first response is "Where is it?!" "Can I see it?" (he didn't really say that).

I'm not complaining. I kind of like it.

I think it's pretty nice to just piss around and I just happen to come across main story. Also I've died more in this game than I have in all of the other 3D Zelda games combined. Freaking Lynel.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #64
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I mean I know someone who died within about a minute of actual gameplay. Camera rotation threw them off and they fell to their death off the cliff you start on when you leave the shrine.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #65
Patches
Shake it!

I think this game is amazing and perfect however...

Being surprised by a wild moving guardian for the first time was quite an experience. I was wandering around the world when suddenly there was a laser on me and that music started playing and when I looked over the thing was charging at me. I let out a scream that I didn't even know I was capable of. I honestly think in that moment I genuinely feared for my life. I don't know what it was but damn I could not handle that AT ALL. I had to pause and collect myself for a few hours before I could come back and take care of the situation. For a while after that I was pretty paranoid while playing.

Just the way it moved, the music, the laser, the creepy blue eye... *shiver*

Because I was able to get so immersed in the game that I had such an extreme reaction is what made it so amazing to me. It is easily one of my most favorite games of all time.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #66
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

The interesting thing about the Guardians is that they're legitimately based off of Octoroks apparently. idr exactly where I saw that so sourcing might take a bit of a dig, but I definitely recall that Guardians are based off of that most classic LoZ enemy. Just interesting how two exceedingly similar things can create such a different atmosphere. Back in the days, Octoroks weren't even a threatening foe. Guardians are the sort of foe that are basically minibosses in and of themselves until you get a certain item.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #67
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just finished this beast of a game. You know a game is good if you keep yourself up because there's always something to do. I admit I didn't have super high expectations, because I thought it would might end up being "Zelda trying to be Elder Scrolls". Thankfully that wasn't the case, and it did so many of the open world shenanigans right on its own merits.

I love how you don't aren't locked into solving puzzles one way. I remember doing this electrical current puzzle, and instead of going through a bunch of stuff to get metal items to solve the puzzle, I could use my own metal items for it! Admittedly fire puzzles are often trivialized by having a torch or fire arrows.

The "powering up" bit is also nice. There's no stats, but you still feel more powerful as the game goes by. The guardians used to scare the shit out of me, but at the later bits, just press the kill button and kill them.

If this game had one weak point, I'd say it's the story and characters, which admittedly don't count for much in a game where you spend 100+ hours wandering around doing stupid shit. Some of the stupid things you can do are great. (Minor gameplay spoilers)
Nothing beats going into a populated area riding a freaking bear.

I wonder how it's like playing on handheld mode. It seems like it wouldn't do so well, since a large part of the game is viewing the surroundings. It seems like it would be difficult on handheld mode.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:50 AM   #68
Selena
Aroma Lady

Handheld mode does diminish the experience a bit, but I was still able to enjoy it very much despite the smaller screen. If possible though stick to tv mode.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games