Old 05-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Obligatory Overwatch thread for Blizzard Hegemony

Servers are online today, so why not:

Story

BORKED

Gameplay

Assuming you're old enough to remember when the Orange Box was an actual product, TF2 with characters borrowing MOBA skill elements in a game not encrusted with several years of weapon and feature bloat.

Discuss

How much of Mei's fanbase hinges on her being a Hollywood 7/10, meaning that despite being a world class scientist she would totally be down with your neckbeard and MLP collection

Last edited by Blastoise; 05-23-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
A lot of characters look super fun. From what I've seen Tracer, Reaper, Bastion and that cowboy...Mcree? Yeah they look exceptionally fun.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I liked Reaper most when I played the beta.

Prepare your butts for the oncoming "fuck Bastion" storm because people can't learn to switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Prepare your butts for the oncoming "fuck Bastion" storm because people can't learn to switch.
I still don't know how to handle Bastion on certain maps. Especially that russian one where you can sit in the bunker and shoot anyone who dares to show their faces.

Pretty much my only method of beating him is D.Va shield, and I'd need reliable teammates who can quickly murder him
Old 05-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Man I wish my laptop wasn't complete ass so I could play Overwatch - I've seen a bunch of gameplay and looked up all... most of the characters and it seems so fun to me even though I'm not a lover of the FPS Genre. Sucks, I'd have loved to drop some beats with Lucio.

Oh well ;~;

Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:43 AM   #6
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Being proud of maining Bastion is like being proud of having testicular cancer
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Being proud of maining Bastion is like being proud of having testicular cancer
I would have gone with "proud of being able to pee standing up", but that works too. That said, if the only time you're firing your gun is when you're in turret mode you're doing it wrong: his recon mode weapon has basically no recoil so you can still nail people pretty easily in situations where you're not going to have time to transform.

EDIT: I also commend Blizzard on making a healing support (Lucio) who isn't concentrated boredom to play

Last edited by Blastoise; 05-24-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #8
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
I would have gone with "proud of being able to pee standing up", but that works too. That said, if the only time you're firing your gun is when you're in turret mode you're doing it wrong: his recon mode weapon has basically no recoil so you can still nail people pretty easily in situations where you're not going to have time to transform.
There are weaknesses to turret mode; the reload animation is long as fuck for example, and you can't get out of the way of incoming threats. But he does so much damage that against most characters it doesn't matter; even Junkrat's ulti will usually get destroyed harmlessly, and Widowmaker can't pierce a Reinhardt shield on her own. Bastion's just...annoying.

Quote:
EDIT: I also commend Blizzard on making a healing support (Lucio) who isn't concentrated boredom to play
Someone doesn't like Mercy's sidearm :T

Mercy irritates me because she relies so heavily on line of sight which is very bad for a squishy support. If you're in a place with long lines of sight, you open yourself up to getting assassinated.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Quote:
I know right
Everything about him is cool. His voice, his background, his music, his sound gun that can force push, his kit, his everything. I legit have "We move together as one" as one of my music tabs open because that shit is banging. Legit if it weren't for him looking so good I never would have even considered trying Overwatch and would have just enjoyed the new source of meme income from afar.
...heck I think I might have a crush on him aaa

>Bastion
Speaking of meme income, if I had a pound for every post I've seen where people complain about bastion getting play of the game... well I wouldn't be a billionare but I'd be pretty rich regardless. Though I can understand the frustration - it doesn't seem like it is a mechanically intensive... hero? Is that the title of the playable characters? Idk, I digress. It doesn't look mechanically intensive so other people's clutch big looking plays end up being drowned out by it's ability to multikill with ease. And if they're learning heroes that look like they need a lot of time and patience to master, like uh... Zarya (that gravity/shield lady), I guess being beaten by a Bastion would feel like being beaten in the Olympic Gymnastics by someone with a simpler routine. You've both worked hard and put in the time and effort and energy to learn the routines so it's fair that the other entrant won, but it doesn't feel fair because your efforts to use more complex moves weren't recognised.

On the other hand, people seem to have a knee-jerk reaction whenever "not mechanically intensive" characters that do well are released in any game, reviling them and making people who may not have the mechanics to play another character - or perish the thought, ENJOY playing characters like Bastion - out to be the scum of the earth and the worst player. It feels kinda unfair to them too, ya know?

But on the third hand I haven't played Overwatch at all and this is all coming from my (casual) experience of the league community. And I probably am sounding like one of those "holier than thou" uppity assholes right now so I'll wrap things up -

My point is just don't play Bastion. It's not worth losing your soul over, and I will probably irrationally hate you and I don't want to do that.

Quote:
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
There are weaknesses to turret mode; the reload animation is long as fuck for example, and you can't get out of the way of incoming threats. But he does so much damage that against most characters it doesn't matter; even Junkrat's ulti will usually get destroyed harmlessly, and Widowmaker can't pierce a Reinhardt shield on her own. Bastion's just...annoying.
Transforming automatically reloads his weapons which is a good incentive to only be in turret mode when you really need to: if you're blowing your nut in turret form and need to reload you're either camping spawn, your teammates are supporting the shit out of you or you are just plain hopeless at keeping a cursor over a moving target.

Quote:
Mercy irritates me because she relies so heavily on line of sight which is very bad for a squishy support. If you're in a place with long lines of sight, you open yourself up to getting assassinated.
LoS isn't the worst, since you can use terrain to keep LoS on your target while not being directly in the line of fire. It's mostly just the fact that she doesn't stray very far from the Medic archetype, and in a pub game where you're not compensating by being the shot caller that's a pretty boring play style. Making it worse is that Lucio and Zenyatta appropriated the Medic's ubercharge shield equivalent for pushing.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 AM   #11
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

You won't always want to transform from turret mode, even to reload, and in most defense cases blowing all 200 bullets and reloading when everyone else is dead is better than tossing some shots and trying to use Recon to finish or chase.

Part of the issue is that people don't charge in all at once cuz they're all afraid of dying. By the time people have enough courage to charge the Bastion it's usually given him time to reload so he can murder again.

The dude's just annoying and he'll probably get nerfs. If it were up to me I'd halve his turret-mode magazine so that the drawback you mentioned is more noticeable.

Also, really? When I played Mercy it was either "follow your hanzo around" or "discover Widowmaker's location."
Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

@Bastion

Surprised no one here has mentioned Genji yet. He's a flat out counter to Bastion's bullshit sprays, since you can reflect all of his bullets back at him for massive damage, if not flat out killing the Bastion.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #13
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Heh, that reminds me of this:

Though I don't get why they consider Hanzo and Widowmaker counters. Is it due to them outranging Bastion or outbursting it?

Quote:
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #14
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Out ranging. As both you can snipe from outside Bastion's range.

Hardly counters though.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I've heard walking around him is an excellent counter :x

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

So I've been playing for a while and I've made a few little plays:

Also Bastion is only a problem for new players who don't really understand team composition. He's a nuisance, sure, but easily countered by flankers that can get to his weak spot on his back (Yup, he has a crit spot on his back in turret mode). Generally all teams will start with Lucio/Reinhardt on offense so you just rush him down with Amp it Up and Shield. It does require a bit of co-ordination but new players will get the hang of it eventually. Bastion is a pain in the arse atm mainly because players don't know what synergises well with what and how to play with/against particular characters.

So the Bastion shit-storm is gonna be short lived.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 05-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

So like, worth the buy or not?

Asking probably doesn't even matter at this point considering I guess I'll be getting it no matter what most likely

Mostly for D. Va because I'm fucking trash
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #18
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
>Not getting it for Mei

Trash confirmed

I might get this game but only when it's on sale in maybe a year or so (not entirely sure how often Blizzard does sales so.) Too poor otherwise Albeit my PC might need an upgrade to play it with 60 fps.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #19
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Out ranging. As both you can snipe from outside Bastion's range.

Hardly counters though.
If you're not flanking Bastion (or not able to), then it's mostly being able to do enough damage in one go that he can't transform and run away before you kill him and/or kill you before you pop back behind cover. Widowmaker/Hanzo work, but I've also had good luck as 76 popping out of cover briefly to fire off Helix Rockets as well as a short burst from the rifle, which will usually do heavy damage if it doesn't kill outright.

And yeah, he's not likely to be nerfed: he's strong now because we're in day 3-4 of general release and people are still learning the characters and maps. He's going to lose his luster or require more support from his team to pwn once people know enough to not run into his line of fire like lemmings off a cliff. I don't know how much weight Blizzard will put on competitive Overwatch, but he doesn't see a lot of play there for basically the same reason competitive TF2 isn't being run by Engineers with level 3 sentries.

Quote:
So like, worth the buy or not?

Asking probably doesn't even matter at this point considering I guess I'll be getting it no matter what most likely

Mostly for D. Va because I'm fucking trash
It's pretty good: I'm only sort of joking when I said it's like TF2 minus the years of accumulated cruft, and smaller default game sizes make it less of a clusterfuck than your average 16v16 24/7 2Fort server.

Quote:
I might get this game but only when it's on sale in maybe a year or so (not entirely sure how often Blizzard does sales so.) Too poor otherwise Albeit my PC might need an upgrade to play it with 60 fps.
Not often, but you might find a deal on Amazon or whatever. And it's a Blizzard game, so if you're using something more sophisticated than a toaster your computer can probably handle it.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #20
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Well, I can wait a year, I'm in an abusive relationship with CSGO anyway. Plus said abusive relationship has made anything below 150 fps unplayable in a competitive FPS so!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #21
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
It's pretty good: I'm only sort of joking when I said it's like TF2 minus the years of accumulated cruft, and smaller default game sizes make it less of a clusterfuck than your average 16v16 24/7 2Fort server.
At first I was a little upset that the skins and accessories weren't very interesting, but then I remembered what happened to TF2. More recolors, please!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Picked up a Decent Reaper Quadkill to win the game.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Reaper is literally Katarina.

With guns.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #24
Sneaze
Mrow?

I love Hero switching as I can now be multiple kinds of trash all in the same game.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #25
deoxys
Fog Badge

POTG I'm pretty proud of considering I'm only Lv 7. Visuals glitched out in the replay for some reason, so you can't see the mech go catapulting into the middle of the capture point and nuking their entire team.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games