UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Ho-oh Pokémon Spirit Gold ~ A "493" Hack

Remember Fire Red Omega?

Well Drayano is back at it, and he's come out with another great challenge hack, this time for HeartGold.

Just like FRO, all Pokemon are available at various points in the game and no trading is required. Gym Leaders are made a good deal tougher and all given a full team of 6 and nearly every trainer is edited to add in some more of the full set of Pokemon. Not only that, but, like last time, movesets and statistics are updated to "fix" some of the oversights that GameFreaks has made over the years. Egg Moves are installed as level-ups, some moves are added in to complete movesets (like Flare Blitz for Flareon or Brave Bird for the Zubat line), improve variety (Shock Wave on Volbeat/Illumise, Close Combat on Magmortar/Electivire, Earth Power/Dragon Rush on Leafeon and Glaceon respectively), or just make Pokemon usable (Aurora Beam and Air Slash on Delibird). If you can think of a Pokemon who needs a statistic boost, they probably got it. Notorious Pokemon like Farfetch'd, Spinda, Luvdisc, and even Shedinja have been improved to be usable in game. And, what's more, a couple Pokemon have had their types edited to make them unique and much more usable.

This video
will have everything you need - no ROM needed. I've gotten to Azalea already, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If you can find a stable emulator (I recommend DeSmuME) or use an flash cart like I am, I'd recommend picking it up.

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Emp
Volcano Badge

> And remember the phrase "Don't be a thief"?!

> Forget it.

> Steal valuable items from specific trainers

Trolled by the idea of stealing Whitney's Pokemon for a second there. Anyways I'm gunna read into this, I never bothered with the FR hack but I'd be interested to see what they've changed. Do you have any more info on the type/stat changes?
Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

He had me at stat changes but lost me at "'stronger' tone" and "Those of you wishing to see a let's play of Spirit Gold can go to Brian2one0's channel." Yeah, I got through the battle with the Kricketot in Brian's newest PSG video before I had to shut him up and shut it off. >_< Thinking it was just Brian being a stoner douchebag teenager, I tried MajinBuu's playthrough only to discover that Drayno himself is a douchebag teen who thinks it's hysterical to change the in-game text to shit like:

"This is a Pokémon Center. They have beds. This is a Pokémon Mart. They sell sex products. Route 30 is out this way. Trainers do their sexual homework. This is the sea, as you can see. You can drown people in it. Here ... it's my house! Come back and see me, love muffin."

>_>

I dunno. Complaints about the script aside, I'm still not a big fan of playing a Pokémon game knowing it's all for nothing multiplayer-wise. I've done it before (Red in Japanese), but it's not something I usually do. Maybe I'll give this a whirl, but I think it'd just drive me crazy seeing all the changes he made to the world of Johto. Hoenn starters? Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon in the wild*? Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon on the gym leaders' initial teams? I'm too much of a purist I think to stomach these changes.

But it's really cool that he made changes to shitmons' stats and made it so that you can play the game with your favorites. I'd love to find out more about the edited Pokémon. Where can I go to read more? I'd like to see what PSG's Spinda, Delibird, and Farfetch'd are like.

Jeri, do you know of anybody who makes mods to the games that are, uh, a little less 13 years old and a little more "let's help every shitmon realize its full potential"? If I could find a mod like that, I'd probably be interested in playing it even without the promise of multiplayer.

*pre-E4, not in parks or Safari Zone
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

The whole switching dialogue thing is -not- because he's being a douche - it's to speed up the text to get through the stupid beginnings of the game.

>Detailed Info

There's a full battery of changes in word documents in the .rar file.

EDIT: I think you're missing the point (well, part of it) of the hack - it's not just to insert a bunch of Pokemon into it but to add a layer of challenge. I've played the "Let's fill the Pokedex" kind of hacks, and they're really no better than a standard runthrough, but this does make the game legitimately more challenging and give you a lot more options. Personally, I think that alone makes it worthwhile.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-22-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Speed up the text!? From what I saw, it goes at the same pace as usual: except now it's total asshattery!

Spoiler: show
Maybe if I was a 15-year old punk I'd think his changes to the dialogue were hysterical. But I was never a punk teenager to begin with, and I'm ten years removed from being that teen now anyway.

If he genuinely wanted to speed things up, here's what he would have done:
  1. have each speech bubble say one word at a time. Put them all together to spell an amusing but short message. (e.g. "HOPE." "YOU." "ENJOY." "PLAYING." "THIS." "HACK." "-DRAYNO")
  2. hack the engine itself (much more difficult to do) and input a feature which allows you to speed up the scripted sequences by 2x, 4x, or 8x if you press certain buttons. Like ... L+R is 8x, L+R+A is 4x, and L+R+Y is 2x. Something like that.

But he didn't do that. At least not from what I saw. He tried to be clever. And instead, he came across as a big tool. The sex jokes, pedo jokes, etc aren't funny or clever. And they don't put me in a better mood than the mandatory tutorial mode puts me in. Hell, I'd say I'd rather play through the regular tutorial twice than play through his adjusted tutorial even once.

But like I said: that's from what I saw. Maybe I saw wrong. Maybe I saw the one dumb scene in the entire hack and it's given me the wrong impression.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

The rest of the dialogue is unchanged, so I'm pretty sure you did.

Even if what he replaced it with is kind of crude, I can tell you what he did speeds up the Oak scene in the beginning a ton, eliminates Lyra's rambling, and makes the whole process of getting the game started a good deal faster. I find little issue with it, personally, since it gets the crap that we're all used to seeing out of the way faster. The idea is that all the chunks of text are read faster so you don't have to waste a second on each, adding another frustrating minute to each conversation as you mash B.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-22-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Fair enough. And so: less Talon nagging, more Jeri blogging. Tell us! What's on your PSG team so far? How far are you? What expectations do you have, given what I presume to be your familiarity with Omega Fire Red?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Current team:
Saul - M Stunky Level 17
Vidrah - M Meditite Level 17
Sewine (nickname changing soon) - F Surskit Level 16
Stabler - M Charmeleon Level 17
Aimant - Magnemite Level 17 (going to be replaced with Volbeat soon)

Thinking of filling that last spot with a Porygon.

Currently going to battle Bugsy. Between Magnemite and Charmeleon with Meditite bringing up the rear, I don't think this should be too big of a deal.

As for expectations, I anticipate a pretty tough fight - if Falkner is any evidence, I definitely anticipate some tricky tactics - Hoothoot used Sub/Hypnosis/DE/Roost, every Pokemon had STAB, and Uproar actually did a number on my team. I don't know any teams aside from Whitney's, so I should be in for a bit of a surprise.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wow, that was fast. For somebody whose bread and butter is 3rd gen, you sure boxed your Hoenn starter quickly!

Tell me, did he change Masquerain's type to Bug/Water? That would be so sweet. (Otherwise ... why the Surskit? )
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

He sure did.

And yeah, I'm trying to use Pokemon I've never really used, especially faves. I like 3rd Gen, but I've never loved the starters.

Just beat Bugsy. It wasn't too surprising but it was a bit scary. Charmeleon managed to go all the way up to 21 and was the only surviving team member. Gonna grind a little tiny bit to even out levels.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

OMG. I must play this. Will once I get on my laptop.

But Earth Power on Leafeon and Dragon Rush on Glaceon? Eww. If it was the other way around, it would of been the best thing to ever happen (other than the whole Flareon Flare Blitz thing). Sure, let's give two pokemon two awesome coverage moves... for their weakest stat. Sure. That makes sense. :/
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
Drayano
Pokemon Trainer

Hi.

Can I just say that the text changes I made do amuse a fair amount of people; I realise they are immature so I would appreciate if you didn't label me as a "douchebag teen". If you don't like it, fair enough, but it DOES serve the purpose intended, even if not in the most efficient manner. The text changes aside I built it to serve the "let's help every shitmon realize its full potential" purpose. If you realise that already (and I'm guessing you do), my apologies.

Anger aside, I'm glad to see some of you are enjoying the hack. I probably actually do sound like a 'douche' here but yeah.

Also, Kindrindra, I think you misread the document. It IS the other way around; I'm not that clueless!

P.S: It's Drayano - or Dray for short - not Drayno. Small, but it irritates the hell out of me.
Drayano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Creator comes on*

:O

*Confirms I got it mixed up*

YESSSSSS! THE WORLD IS NOW AWESOME! I LOVE YOU!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh, one question.

Flareon got Flare Blitz (Awesome)
Glaceon got Earth Power (Even more Awesome)
Leafeon got Dragon Rush (Pretty Cool. Bye Fire-types.)

Did Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon and Jolteon get anything new?
Quote:
Old 12-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayano View Post
I probably actually do sound like a 'douche' here but yeah.
Not at all. I was out of place. You have every right to be upset. Sorry.

I still do not care for the dialogue changes which I have seen so far, and I think they're incredibly childish, like fart jokes; but fart jokes can be written by adults just as easily as by children; and I was too quick to cast judgment.

I'll give the game a whirl. If I get through Cianwood and the dialogue changes continue to strike me as "childish douchebag," then I'll have to take back my apology and things'll be awkward. But until then, I owe you an apology. It's completely unfair to judge you based on just one scene.

Anyway, as an aside ...
  • Could just be my system, but I only saw an image of Butterfree and no other Pokemon when I opened the file for stat changes.
  • I noticed that nearly all of the moveset changes appear to be pure aggro. Likewise, nearly all of the stat changes appear to have made sweepers out of shitmon. Again, creative differences may be all this is, but I think it'd be cool to see a bit more diversity. Like, making some shitmons sponges, others tanks, etc.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Anyway, as an aside ...
  • Could just be my system, but I only saw an image of Butterfree and no other Pokemon when I opened the file for stat changes.
  • I noticed that nearly all of the moveset changes appear to be pure aggro. Likewise, nearly all of the stat changes appear to have made sweepers out of shitmon. Again, creative differences may be all this is, but I think it'd be cool to see a bit more diversity. Like, making some shitmons sponges, others tanks, etc.
  • It's your system. I've opened them in Word just fine but they come up like that in NotePad.
  • Most of the moveset changes to me seem to be to give some Pokemon moves that they beef them up a little, either with a higher Base Power STAB playing to their strengths or to add some moveset diversity, which a few lack. Some of them are just level-up transfers of Egg moves, even. As for stats, you do have to remember that this is intended for only in-game play (I assume), where sweepers are going to be more valued than any other role, so this kind of stat increase is somewhat expected. I personally wouldn't mind some specialization to fit the design a bit more, but it's not a surprise that the stat increases were pretty simplistic.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-23-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, I thought about that after signing off. It's too bad that (afaik?) you can't fight fellow PSGers via WiFi. I would certainly love to clone my summer team and go up against Morg's fearsome bugs in PSG form given all the charitable buffs they've been given. For example: Illumise? Illumise is already nice. Morg proved that much this summer in our battles (Vs. as well as Co-op). The buffs Drayano has given to Illumise will turn her from being nice in Morg's hands to being a beast.

I dunno if this is within Drayano's powers or not, but it'd be interesting if it were possible to hack any of the main series games and make it so that you could just go to this one building off somewhere unobtrusive, go inside, and talk to one of six old men -- one for each stat -- who'd let you decide how many EVs you wanted there. Three places to scroll up and down (hundreds column, tens column, ones column) and have at it.

Anyway, Jeri, do share more war stories with us. I'd like to see if you found PSG's Whitney to be easier than, harder than, or the same difficulty as HGSS Whitney.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Oh, one question.

Flareon got Flare Blitz (Awesome)
Glaceon got Earth Power (Even more Awesome)
Leafeon got Dragon Rush (Pretty Cool. Bye Fire-types.)

Did Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon and Jolteon get anything new?
Someone should answer this.

What happened to Illumise? Did he make it Bug/Electric, or something cool like that?
Quote:
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

As I said before, all the changes are included in the .rar of the game.

But Jolteon gets Extrasensory, Vaporeon - Aqua Jet, Espeon - Aura Sphere/Power Gem, Umbreon - Shadow Sneak.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 12-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #20
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Insert Victory Dance here*

EDIT: Okay, opinions on those.

Jolteon: Eh, 20% flinch chance on 130 base speed? Helpful. Not something to rely on, but helpful.

Vaporeon: Okay, that's not much help. But Vaporeon never really needed anything. Something to bypass their low speed is nice, even if it uses their lower offensive stat. And it's STAB, so yay.

Espeon: WIN. Likely beats out Glaceon for best new moves. Aura Sphere gets perfect coverage with Shadow Ball, and a neutral hit off base 130 sp atk is gonna hurt anything. Psychic/Shadow Ball/Aura Sphere/Power Gem (or Signal Beam)? Sounds like a nice Choice Set. And if choice isn't your style, you could always run Calm Mind over Power Gem and Lefties as an Item.

Umbreon: A nice offensive option for Umbreon. Comes off their higher offensive stat (even if it is only a lowly 65). However, Sucker Punch is likely a better option, as the two have near identical coverage.

Now, to download this bad boy. *Rubs hands together*
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 12-25-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Comments on new stuff, having downloaded it:

THE STATS. THEY ARE AWESOME. Just look at butterfree. And a Faster Raticate? Fun. Very Fun.

Pikachu gets Volt Tackle by Level Up: I'm good with this. 8D
Arcanine gets Close Combat: Now we don't have to wait for Gen V. Kewl.
Farfetch'd gets CC+Brave Bird: YES. Look at that new attack stat.
Wiggilituff's speed boost: Eh... don't really like this. Makes Gyro Ball weaker. But the Sp Atk boost is welcome.
Eevee gets super fang: UMBREON, TIME TO WALL SHIT UP.
Gengar gets NP: *Happy face*
Ariados: WHAT IS THIS AMAZING THING?
Amphros + Tail Glow: Don't really think that Amphros should of been given 'Firefly Light'... But, hey, not complaining.
Corsola: I HERBY DUB YOU... CORAL WALL.
Umbreon + Switcheroo: Why did no one tell me this? This is cool.
Jinx + Psycho Boost: Not complaining. This is cool.
Macargo: Time to rip shit up with Magma storm coming off his new 125 base sp atk.
Legendary Dogs: Gen V, thank you. Very much.
Linoone + LV up ES: YES. THE ONE TURN SET-UP.
Shedinja: Oh, Drayano, you troll you. (250 defenses on 1 HP. )
Castform: *Sounds of partying*
Volt Tackle Luxray: Ouch. That shall be epic.
Magmortor and Elecvire: Oh. Nice.
Leafeon: Seed Bomb? Kewl.
Luvdisc:
Mothim: Nice stats, big boy.
Elemental Hyper Beams: Now stronger Stat drop moves. I like this.
Razor Wind: ...Does it still require charge? If not... cool.
Sky Attack: OH WOW. 180PWR. THAT'S GONNA HURT.
Different Ability for Fan Forme: YES. YESYESYES.

My opinions. Yay.
Quote:
Old 12-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
My opinions. Yay.
LOL. Clearly you are Drayano's target audience.

As for myself, I don't share in your level of enthusiasm, but it is mostly because I was further put off by a few even worse dialogue changes in the beginning of the game and because, those dialogue changes aside, the other changes to the game have not been enough so far to make this a very different experience for me than my two previous playthroughs (one Japanese, one American) of Heart Gold. Sure, the non-gym fights are a little easier than normal. Sure, the gym fights are a little tougher than normal. (Mine have been particularly tough but only because I've insisted on EV training during Story Mode and, let's face it, having four Pokemon who spam U-Turn on you can make that a bitch.) But by and large, this hack so far feels just like Heart Gold or Soul Silver. And that's one hell of a double-edged sword.

I may drop the hack in a few days, we'll see, but for now, I've made it to Whitney (went past Goldenrod to train up a bit so I could try to handle her team 6 against 2) and here's the team:
  • Combusken
    • Lvl 29
    • Calm, being raised to be SpAtt 252 / Spd 252
    • Bulk Up / Ember / Double Kick / Night Slash
    • starter. Pulling his height, definitely, but he's clearly meant to be a physical sweeper in PSG. Yet mine was Calm, so I didn't really have much choice, did I?
  • Graveller
    • Lvl 29
    • Naughty, being raised to be 150 Att / 150 Def / remainder undecided. Story Mode-only physical wall, but one hell of a physical wall!
    • Magnitude / Rock Blast / Rock Throw / Rock Polish
    • my favorite guy on the team. I just wish I'd had the patience to try and catch more Geodudes. Naughty's not very nice, but in the end I decided that Golem's SpDef is so terrible anyway that it's not like Naughty is tipping him off the scale from SpDef sponge-worthy to SpDef sponge-unworthy.
  • Beautifly
    • Lvl 19
    • Mild, being raised to be 252 SpAtt / 252 Spd
    • Bug Bite / Harden / Air Slash / Absorb
    • I had high hopes for this girl given the stat changes I'd read about, but so far she's not paid off and you can see her languishing in the pre-20s as a result.
  • Gastly
    • Lvl 15
    • Gentle, being raised to be ... well, we'll get to that in a second
    • Hypnosis / Night Shade / Ominous Wind / Mean Look
    • I caught this guy because I figured I'd have to be a fool not to. But he's not Modest or Timid, I'm not one for Gastly / Haunter during Story Mode, and as you can see: languishing. He's pretty much KO fodder at this point.
And that's it. I got a Bold Togepi, but I already raised a Togekiss this year on HeartGold so I don't want to "waste" a slot on (the ecstasy that is) Togekiss when I could be using it for somebody new. Charmander, I didn't see any reason to go with him over Combusken at this point. May reconsider. Bulbasaur, I love but mine's Modest and all his moves scream "Use me physically!" So ... Squirtle, no thanks.

So, I realize that I may not be having as much fun as I could be since my team isn't too Drayano-modified yet. No Volbeat, no Surskit/Masquerain, etc. But still ... I'm thinking I may drop it, because so far the game's just too similar to HG and I've fully played Heart Gold twice in the last one year and three months. I may be looking for something more radically different. I dunno.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Have now started playing, and recording my play through- planning on uploading to YouTube.

Don't really like the dialogue at the beginning. Personally, I think that they could of simply made the dialogue (or should I say monologue) into the base equivalents. You know, just cut out all the adjectives and stylization. That is why I have cut all profanity from my videos. Others may feel differently, but I shall be offering a 'Light and fluffy' playthrough. Have reached Violet City. Backtracked to do some exploring in Dark Cave. Found a Pokeball (I was out), then was plesently surprised by Chimchar. Captured them. Team so far (levels later):

Green- Treeko (Lax Nature) - Overgrow
Dia- Sentret (Modest Nature- Eww. Could make a lesser Mixed attacker) - Keen Eye
Pharoah- Shinx (Rash Nature- YES. Should work great with ability) - Rivalry
Rojo- Chimchar (Docile Nature- Very nice for in-game) - Blaze
Lotus- Lotad (Brave Nature) - Swift Swim (Only Lv2- Probably not using it)
Quote:
Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Oh hey guys.

Been playing on and off when I have some free time/am not pulling my hair out over Mario Kart DS. So far, I'm still stuck on Morty... (Report-y on Morty [harhar!] spoilered for those not quite that far).

Non-spoiler comments:
  • Believe it or not, Masquerain is a powerhouse. Even without the Water typing, the stat boost given and pretty nice move variety on level-up makes Masque a force to be reckoned with. Mine (with the weird name of Sewine, for which I have not come up with an alternative) is currently my highest leveled and can clean up just about any mess.
  • Volbeat is also improved greatly - this is definitely what was intended for this Pokemon but it somehow got thrown out half-way through. The tweaked Special and decent speed make him powerful but not invincible.
  • The difficulty of most trainers isn't really increased, something that was more true in FRO. Though the level scaling is made a bit more appropriate (those in the low 20s are boosted a few levels, for instance) and the variety of Pokemon encountered is changed, they're generally not too difficult. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing, considering how legitimately difficult the GLs are, though.
  • I did a little bit of sequence breaking to grind and found that there weren't a lot of changes to the Wild 'mon through Mahogony. I've been considering an alt for Meditite since he's not doing all that well but I find my variety is not quite what I had hoped. Maybe I'm not looking enough?

Spoiler: show
He's probably the hardest GL yet with a tricky type and a slew of -really- good Pokemon made better with fairly competitive movesets. My team, while not really ill-equipped to fight him, has been having a lot of trouble. The closest I've been to beating him is getting him down to his Gengar and one other (which I assume is Duskull - really hope it's not Spiritomb because a GT had one), which, for me, is pretty much unbeatable.

His lead, Shuppet, is a pushover, though sometimes the RNG deals me a bad hand and lets it live an Ominous Wind from Sewine. All that gives me is a burn, though, which Sewine really doesn't mind.

Usually, he comes out next with his Drifblim, though it seems to be based on how fast Shuppet falls. He's also taken his Sableye out here too or even (*gulp*) Gengar, but that's not always the case.

Drifblim is pretty scary - one Calm Mind and you're done. It's also neigh impossible to OHKO due to its high HP, especially with one CM up. Even if you outspeed it (which my Volbeat does), you need to be able to get it well below half with the first attack for a THKO. I usually lose one Pokemon or have a dent put in Sewine before I KO him.

If 'Blim comes out, Sableye tends to follow. Sableye is kind of a pushover thanks to Porygon. If I set him up with Poison from Stunky, then I can stall him with Pory as his only offensive move is Shadow Claw. He -does- have Will-o-Wisp, though, but Recover saves me from having to spam recovery items.

Missy D either shows after Sableye or sometimes after Drifblim (she even came out right after Shuppet when I KO'd it with Stunky). She's not terribly hard as her only offense aside from Shadow Ball is Power Gem, which Vidrah eats easily. I generally poison her and then just swap between Pory and Vidrah or spam Recover/Psybeam until she faints.

At this point, the dreaded Gengar usually shows. For some reason, he almost always leads with Thunder, regardless of the Pokemon out - except for Porygon, who he always Hypnotizes first before trying Thunder. I got lucky once and nearly outlived him with a succession of missed Thunders and a few lucky hits. But once he runs out of Thunders, he switches to Dark Pulse, which is almost always OHKO anyways. I don't have any Pokemon that can really outlive him, and the only Pokemon I have that resists his attacks once Thunder is gone is Stunky, but he's pretty battered by this point in most cases and he can only live one Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball, even with resistance.

Most likely, I'm going to grind to get Night Slash/possibly evolve Stunky, speed up Pory a bit, and possibly get T-Wave on Volbeat. Hopefully Morty's final Pokemon is a pushover, because I haven't seen it thrown into the rotation yet (and he varies his choices quite a bit thanks to the Champ-level AI). If I can get lucky on Gengar, I can secure a win and move on.

TEAM:
Don't care too much about natures, IVs and EVs. Variety and moveset is what I'm going for.
  • Sewine - Female Masquerain
    • Lv. 27 Brave @ Nothing
    • Levitate (yay!)
    • Signal Beam/Ominous Wind/Air Slash/Water Pulse (soon to be Surf)
    • A sweeper, to say the least. Not the fastest (only 48 speed) but fairly bulky with a great SpAtt to back it up. Probably my favorite on the team. An EXP hog for sure.
  • Aeather - Male Volbeat
    • Lv. 26 Hasty @ Nothing
    • Swarm
    • Confuse Ray/Moonlight/Tail Glow/Shock Wave
    • Speedy thanks to stat changes. Not a "powerhouse" thanks to lackluster coverage but way way better than before. His SpAtt is high enough that Shock Wave KOs most in one hit if SE and does 2HKO to most others. Typing makes him pretty valuable.
  • Saul - Male Stunky
    • Lv. 25 Docile @ Nothing/TM Thief
    • Aftermath
    • Thief/Slash/Poison Gas/Screech
    • My Thief/Physical attacker. Also surprisingly tank-y thanks to good typing. Since he's still a Stunky, he's not -quite- what he should be but he tends to hold his own well enough and fill a big enough niche to stick around. Once he gets Night Slash and evolves, though, he'll likely be pretty awesome. Also Poison is a great asset.
  • Stabler - Male Charmeleon
    • Lv. 25 Jolly @ Nothing
    • Blaze
    • Scratch/Ember/Dragon Rage/SmokeScreen
    • Dragon Rage has saved me thus far - I barely use him for SE since it does more damage most of the time. He's actually been a great mixed guy so far, and once he evolves, he'll probably go primarily physical, but he's been working out great as it is. He's also pretty speedy thanks to his nature, so he can often clean up when his comrades faint or just can't do the job. Least used but levels quickly.
  • Vidrah - Male Meditite
    • Lv. 25 Mild @ Nothing
    • Pure Power
    • Focus Blast/Confusion/Detect/Calm Mind
    • Really not sure what to think of him. His moveset and nature scream "Make me special!" while his ability screams "Make me physical~" leaving him to be a horribly conflicted Pokemon who does neither very well. However, I could really use him for Chuck and potentially Jasmine, so I don't want to throw him out. He also has trouble gaining EXP and levels really slowly, so...
  • Malware - Porygon
    • Lv. 26 Careful @ Quick Claw
    • Trace
    • Magnet Rise/Psybeam/Recover/Agility
    • A potent Special Adaptablity Z in the making. He's a little clunky now but his somewhat high Special and good defenses keep him trucking. Nature's not the best but I have trouble caring. I -would- like to get some TMs for him, though, but they're hard to get as cash isn't easy to come by. Psybeam is working surprisingly well, however.

Last edited by Jerichi; 12-28-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I tried catching Volbeat. Caught three. All three had bad natures. I'm gunning for Modest or Timid with no compromises on this guy: he's made to be a special sweeper with no exceptions.

Jeri, I think the reason you're having difficulty with Morty is that Porygon isn't cutting it and you have nobody else to absorb hits or to deal OHKOs. I found Drifblim to be a cakewalk but you made it sound like the Grim Reaper. Why? Because I have a Graveller (Level 32 or 33 right now) who has STAB against Flying and you don't. You feared Gengar's electric attacks when, again, I didn't have to. Now, in my case, I'm not ready to officially defeat Morty because I insist upon EV training correctly as best I can during Story Mode, and as such I'm having to try and train up my special sweepers. (Level 23 Beautifly and Level -- Volbeat.) But you who don't care about that shouldn't be having problems with him, provided you can get your Porygon to become a little stronger.

Another observation/problem. You say that Masquerain is your team's experience hog but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Everyone on your team is within 1-2 levels of each other. Nobody is way behind nor way ahead. Consider: my strongest two Pokémon pre-Whitney were higher in their levels than any of your current (@ Morty) team! I'm not knockin' your strategy too much, but I do have to say that during Story Mode, it's certainly easier to only raise 2-3 mains vs. 5-6 mains. If we were to take away two levels from your bottom four, we could theoretically give two levels to your top two. (i.e. you'd be 29, 28, 23, 23, 23, and 24 right now). And that could have made a difference. I dunno. In this particular case, maybe not: since Porygon is your best hope against Morty with his Psybeam and his Normal typing. But I'm just saying: you claim to have doted on Masquerain, yet your levels hardly suggest this. Seems like you've spread the love very evenly, for better or for worse.

About your Stunky being your team's Thief ... I thought Drayano said that you didn't have to worry about stealing until you fought the girl trainer who had a Bulbasaur on her team. And since I haven't seen her yet, I haven't been worried about using TM46 yet. Have I missed some items already? Did he actually mean that the theft game begins once you find Bulbasaur on the world map and not what I thought he said? I'm not too worried about it since somebody asked him about Pokésav compatability and he said that yes, the game should work with Pokésav just fine, so I can always hack the items in which I miss. Still, I'd rather try and get the items in-game if I can. Less hassle, more authentic feel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON