wtf the Olympics has ARCHERY?
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
wtf the Olympics has ARCHERY?
Yep. The US made it to the gold medal match, though I didn't see how they did yet. Been watching the women's soccer team smack Colombia around.

EDIT: Just saw that the US lost to Italy, taking the silver. Apparently it came down to the final arrow though.

Last edited by phoopes; 07-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #28
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez
Well, I'm behind in everything. Anyway, currently watching the opening ceremony. The pandemonium sequence was fantastic IMO although Bond and the Queen was a pretty big WTF moment.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Yep. The US made it to the gold medal match, though I didn't see how they did yet. Been watching the women's soccer team smack Colombia around.
I'm always surprised that the US womans football team is actually pretty damn good.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #30
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm always a little surprised by how many people don't know about Olympic sports.

And then I realize that not everyone is as obsessed with it as I am.

Also I just realized that Handball is an Olympic Sport.

Table Tennis is still the best Olympic Sport.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #31
phoopes
Double Dragon

Table Tennis isn't my favorite, but it's definitely up there. So awesome to see how ping pong table tennis is such srs bsns with some people, while it's only a game I play with friends for bragging rights.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #32
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Table tennis is awesome. I'd take it over regular tennis any day.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tennis > Table Tennis, but I enjoy a good game of ping pong.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Just finished watching the opening ceremony, although I skipped through most of the parade. I must say, the torches and the cauldron lighting was awesome. Whoever came up with that, well done!
Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
phoopes
Double Dragon

Currently watching the women's volleyball match between the US and South Korea... my Lord some of them are tall. The one girl on team USA, Destinee Hooker (snicker) is 6'7" (over 2 meters). Freakin' crazy.

EDIT: "Hooker goes downtown. What an explosion!"

-Announcer

Last edited by phoopes; 07-28-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

That guy sounds pretty incredible if he was able to become friends with the little shit that used judo on him to steal his Charizard card.

But FUCK YEAH CHARIZARD IN THE OLYMPICS!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
But FUCK YEAH CHARIZARD IN THE OLYMPICS!
+1

Also, medal count after the first day: China in the lead with 6 medals, 4 gold. Italy's in second with 5 medals, 2 gold. The US is in third, also having 5 medals, but only 1 gold. Team GB got shut out on the first day.

Disappointing that Phelps didn't get a medal in the 400 IM, but he still has six more chances to get three medals, which would make him the most decorated athlete in Olympic history.

Also, eeeeek someone I know got a medal!

Last edited by phoopes; 07-28-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My problem with athletics (or, anything performance-based) in general - if I watch it long enough, I want to be part of the action. Just watching people do stuff stoked my competitive spirit.

Therefore, I have no desire to watch the Olympics, just read the results. Can't win many Gold Medals from house.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #40
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Italy starting stong is mainly down to the womens foil fencing being on the first day - they took all three medals there, which isn't surprising in the least (although it is a little disappointing that Valentina Vezzali only took bronze, she won the last three).

Absolutely gutted that Cavendish didn't get a medal in the road race.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Just watched the Women's road race over sunday dinner. Great play by Armitstead, she did really well. Shame she couldn't quite get gold but when you're up against one of the best in the world that's hard to get. She definitely earned that silver.

Last edited by DaveTheFishGuy; 07-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #42
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Holy crud the gymnastics was mad. Really disappointing that we didn't get silver in the end, but considering we weren't expecting to be medal contenders a bronze medal is still pretty fantastic.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #43
phoopes
Double Dragon

Disappointed that the 4x100 free relay team lost out to France last night. IMO, Ryan Lochte shouldn't have even been on the team anyway. We have faster freestylers than him, and he gave up a huge lead on the final leg.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

Fuck NBC. They spoiled...
Spoiler: show
Missy Franklin winning the gold in the 100m Backstroke, with a promo for the Today Show tomorrow. Problem is that they didn't air that race yet. I kept myself spoiler-free on this race, and they ruined it for me. Still, I'm super happy (read: RAGE! followed by JOY! Mixed feelings to the max.) that someone that I know won a gold medal. But really, NBC. You guys are fuckin' retarded.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You know her personally? That's pretty awesome. That's a shame they spoiled you though.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #46
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah, I know Missy. Mainly through friend of a friend kind of thing. My friends Ali and Nate went to Olympic Trials and I talked with her through them, one of my swimming coaches won a medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and sort of knows her, and some of my water polo buds know her too. Haven't talked with her much, but I'm definitely really excited for her. It's just so awesome that... I really can't put it into words, haha.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #47
Torkoal Stu
This

An Olympics related story I came across this morning and thought I'd share.

I know this is the day and age of the internet where people mercilessly troll all kinds of people on a daily basis, but it just seems so strange to threaten and tweet abuse to an olympic swimmer because he lost a match? The mind boggles.

And the diving is really the only event I've watched so far, and I really enjoyed it~

But in a more humorous and light-hearted Olympic related story, Olympic torch bearer gets tattoo to commemorate her moment but misspells Olympic...
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #48
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Did any of you catch the womens epee semi-finals? Insane. Basically the clock ran down to zero at 5-5 (Shin Lam would've gone through). For no apparent reason that I can find out thus far, the clock was then wound back a second (remember here that the end of a round is almost always called when there are technically two or three seconds to go). They start, Heidemann gets a point (which is very much debatable as whether it was within a second or not), and the South Korean coach gets furious when the point is actually awarded while the fencer herself breaks down in tears.

She managed to pull herself together enough to put up a good fight in the playoff (losing 15-11), but I've gone through several articles on it and no-one seems to have a clue why the clock was wound back when it read that the fight was over.

EDIT the first: Also, ignore the BBC and any other articles claiming she "staged a sit in" afterwards - she remained on the piste for an hour while it was sorted out because she had to remain on the piste while the officials argue this kind of thing (her side lodged an appeal). Had she not she'd have made their decision for them.

Last edited by Concept; 07-31-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #49
phoopes
Double Dragon

Ah, I didn't hear about that. But that sort of sounds similar to what happened in the men's gymnastics last night. At the end, it appeared that GB won the silver medal and Japan won bronze. However, Japan appealed their guy's pommel horse score, and ended up getting the silver medal over GB. I had never seen something like that happen before, but apparently there was medal controversy elsewhere too.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Did any of you catch the womens epee semi-finals? Insane. Basically the clock ran down to zero at 5-5 (Shin Lam would've gone through). For no apparent reason that I can find out thus far, the clock was then wound back a second (remember here that the end of a round is almost always called when there are technically two or three seconds to go). They start, Heidemann gets a point (which is very much debatable as whether it was within a second or not), and the South Korean coach gets furious when the point is actually awarded while the fencer herself breaks down in tears.

She managed to pull herself together enough to put up a good fight in the playoff (losing 15-11), but I've gone through several articles on it and no-one seems to have a clue why the clock was wound back when it read that the fight was over.

EDIT the first: Also, ignore the BBC and any other articles claiming she "staged a sit in" afterwards - she remained on the piste for an hour while it was sorted out because she had to remain on the piste while the officials argue this kind of thing (her side lodged an appeal). Had she not she'd have made their decision for them.
Have not been following following any of the Olympics so far, and haven't even seen a single second of women's épée, but this sort of thing is why many people have lost faith in the Olympics over the years. It's sad that when a sporting event is the grandest in the world with the most fame and honor behind its name, that's when you see the powers of corruption at their worst. Some notable examples from past Olympics during our lives:
  • In a tournament match in men's volleyball, the US and Greece were in the final game of the match (Game 5). When the Americans were handling the ball, a whistle was blown from the audience. As a result, the Greeks stopped their defense because in volleyball the ball is "dead" as soon as a whistle blows. To the officials however, it was a still a live ball. That let the Americans make the last spike to win by two to move to the next round. The Greek team protested, but the officials let the play count. No appeal has been made. (Summer 2004)
  • Hungarian fencing official Joszef Hidasi was suspended for two years by the FIE after committing six errors in favor of Italy during the gold-medal match in men's team foil, robbing China the gold medal with result 45-42.
  • The U.S. media alleges that the Chinese doctored documents to make some of their ineligibly young athletes eligible in time for the Olympics. (Summer 2008 ) (New York
    Times article
    ) Something similar happened with regards to the Summer 2000 Olympics but only ten years later: Chinese gymnast Dong Fangxiao was stripped of a bronze medal in April 2010. Investigations by the sport's governing body (FIG) found that she was only 14 at the 2000 Games. (To be eligible the gymnastic athletes must turn 16 during the Olympic year). Dong also lost a sixth-place result in the individual floor exercises and seventh in the vault. FIG recommended the IOC take the medal back as her scores aided China in winning the team bronze. The US women's team, who had come fourth in the event, then moved up to third (bronze medal).
  • In a highly controversial 3-2 judge's decision, South Korean boxer Park Si-Hun defeated American Roy Jones, Jr., despite Jones pummeling Park for three rounds, landing 86 punches to Park's 32. Allegedly, Park himself apologized to Jones afterward. One judge shortly thereafter admitted the decision was a mistake, and all three judges voting against Jones were eventually suspended. The official IOC investigation concluding in 1997 found no wrongdoing, and the IOC still officially stands by the decision. A similarly controversial decision went against U.S. team member Michael Carbajal. These incidents led Olympic organizers to establish a new scoring system for boxing. (Summer 1988 )
So like, all our lives the Olympics have unfortunately been plagued by crap like this. It's a real shame for Miss Shin Lam but unfortunately past precedent suggests that Hell is sooner to freeze over than the IOC to apologize to her and award her the medal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc