UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #251
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I was forced to flee my apartment due to the landlord desiring to repave the parking lot, and paying the local towing company to impound any car that didn't move. I can't park in the lot for 24 hours meaning I'm homeless for 24 hours.
Granted, I don't know what your apartment lot looks like, but ... this seems very unlikely. If my landlord were to want to pave my parking lot tomorrow (and required us all to move our cars or else to risk them being towed), it wouldn't mean I can't return home: it would just mean I can't park at home. I'd have to park somewhere nearby (within 5 minutes' walking distance) and then walk home. And I would be able to walk home. I don't get this "I'm homeless! " talk. Why can't you just walk onto the grass/stone/mulch/(whatever lies in between your building and your parking lot) and enter the door to your apartment building that way?

Using this generic schematic as an example, why couldn't you find a way onto the grass adjacent to your building, and then from there make your way to the sidewalk/mulch/whatever lies in between your building and the parking lot, and then from there you're home free?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #252
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
The apartment is shaped like this:

The asphalt circles the entire complex. You can't walk on it while it's drying, so there's no going in or out of the apartment once they cone it off. The only way you could keep your apartment on the complex without having to go through this is to have a garage (pictured below in light green).

>I'd have to park somewhere nearby (within 5 minutes' walking distance) and then walk home.

There's no parking at all.

The roads immediately outside the apartment have bike lanes, and Minnesota law states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV
It is illegal for motorists to drive or park in bike lanes, except in instances where you need to turn, enter or leave the roadway, or park in a lane adjacent to the bike lane.
Other apartments are also considered private property and are subject to tickets. There is a policeman who sits in the parking lot of my OWN apartment every morning, looking to ticket such people (usually friends of drunk college kids who park overnight). Note that this officer is the same one who accosted me for an ID within my own apartment lobby.

The closest place to park is Wal-Mart, but there's no way I'm going to park at a busy Wal-Mart for a whole day. That's a great way to get my car broken into, or damaged in a hit and run. I know Wal-Mart allows parking there the whole day because I work there and know the policy. I also know you can't park in the lot of a closed building. It only works for Wal-Mart because it's 24 hours.

Anyway, this is OT. The bottom line is I'm horribly exhausted and feel like throwing up, and I can't run since I have to protect my car. Hate hate hate this place.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #253
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So is my progress thus far more impressive than what I lost in 2014?

I will be having my MEPS physical and I'm nervous. It's not even the PFT, but this will make or break me. I've prepared for the past month to pass the Golden Shoulder and PFT, not for MEPs, but I still want to do well. The major hurdle is a pain-in-the-arse weekend work schedule.

I am 29 years old, 5'6", 167 lbs. Officially, I was 178 lbs on 13 June 2017, which is what I weighed at when I went for a chart review at the local hospital.

11/07/14:

Quote:
Also Talon, your "average male" ballpark figure practically hit me on the button, haha. I'm 27 years old, 5'6", 180 lbs. But I lift three times a week, run distance once per week, and diet. There's no doubt in my mind I'm healthy, but that isn't enough really.
11/16/14:

Quote:
It would appear to me that I've dropped 4 lbs since I started the diet. I weighed in at 176, which was after rehydrating and downing a protein shake.
12/01/14:

Quote:
I weigh 173 lbs now. Slow, steady progress. Visually I don't look much different but my arms do demonstrate some shrink wrap.
12/13/14:

Quote:
I weighed in at 165 lbs today. The long distance with interval cardio maybe hasn't helped as much as I wanted because I still lost 10 lbs in November on a 1 day cardio, 3 day weightlifting regimen each week. Although, 10 lbs in November versus 5 lbs already less than half-way into December means I could lose 11-12 lbs in the end.
The 2014 regimen was lifting x3 per week (squat, bench press, overhead press), running 8 miles x3 per week (6 mph) and running 12 miles x1 per week (6 mph). Plus a not very strict 1K cal diet. My estimated BMR at that time was about 1790 calories.

The 2017 regimen isn't as strict, because I have to work a minimum of 3 days per week, along with irregular work days to both feed myself and pay rent. I try to do pull-ups, push-ups, dips, crunches when I can but it's not consistent. I can't maintain a 1K calorie diet because I can't sleep for half a day like I did in 2014, so I have to eat more, although it's never more than 2400 calories.

I run 8 miles per day at 6mph, and starting yesterday I've bumped it up to 16 miles per day. I do so using a 10 lb weighted vest, so my running weight is 177 lbs.

All of the lifting benchmarks from 2014 I can meet or surpass even though I haven't lifted in a while. For body weight, my benchmarks are:

Push-ups: 87
Crunches: 100/2 minutes
Pull-ups: 12, 8 weighted
Dips: 6
Triangles: 10

I haven't tested my 5K yet, but when I ran it before I went to the first Golden Shoulder eval (i.e., not long after June 13) I clocked in at 21 minutes, which is 7 minutes per mile, weighted. I am 1000% sure I can run much faster than that now, especially if I don't use the vest.

When I ran the 5K in Fall 2015, I came in at 29 minutes and almost died. In August 2014, I did the 5K in 21 minutes. I think the 2017 5K is more impressive because with the vest I was running that at 188 lbs.

Why I ask this is because I confront the scale daily and it's frustrating. It's slow. I know I'm not being super strict on my diet but what can I do with these obligations? I tried to do 1K for a few days and nearly died again, I felt like I was going into hypoxia and had to abort my daily run halfway.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #254
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did I mention I supposedly passed MEPs? No official word but it looks good. I weighed in at 167 lbs and I weigh 165 lbs right now.

I did a 24 mile run (marathon). There was no particular reason to it except that my 10 lb vest that I got at the Sports Authority wake bit the dust, and I'm holding it together with duct tape. I ordered a 20 lb vest that hasn't shipped yet (see my Amazon thread) which I will use to double down on the 16 mile runs.

I did 13 pull-ups. I'm getting impatient although this progress is slow and gradual.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #255
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was wrong about that weight. I'm at 160 lbs and it's caused a lot of sudden problems. I nearly died at work yesterday and I've slept for almost 12 hours today. Eaten very little.

Right now, I would normally run, but my legs are still really tight and the calorie loss there is a bit too sudden. Gonna stock up on food and lift.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #256
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was going to buy some more fruit snacks but came to a horrifying realization. The fruit snacks are more calorie intensive than ice cream.

Ice cream = 48 fl ounces = 1560 calories
1 box fruit snacks = 27.8 ounces = 2880 calories

How's that possible, even with all the fat and sugar in ice cream? The issue is ice cream, despite the fat and sugar, has more water content and fat displaces volume that would otherwise be occupied by dense sugar. This is why skim milk is less healthy than whole milk, which I've explained before I believe.

Fruit snacks, despite their fruit essences, are essential pure, condensed, dehydrated sugar. Despite appearing to be watery jelly, it is a sugar colloid held together by cornstarch in place of gellatin protein. I don't know for sure, but I bet if you froze them, they wouldn't lose all of their soft malleability, due to having no water to form crystalline lattice in cold.

I bought strawberries instead. More water and considered a "low fructose" fruit. Turns out fructose exposure, not necessarily glucose, might be the super trigger for diabetes.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #257
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Similar problem with fruit juice aka sugar water. If you struggle to lose weight, cut out any drink that isn't water. Monitoring your food intake is far easier than monitoring your liquid intake.

I buy fruit snacks because I need more calories but I'm actually starting to wonder if I'm even using the fructose for energy.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #258
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I had my official PFT today. And I failed it, as far as getting my waiver approved.

Pull-ups: 12 = 63 pts
Crunches: 86 = 61 pts
3-mile run: 22:20 = 74 pts

Total = 198 pts

Where I really beefed it was the 3-mile run, honestly, although even with a max I would have fallen short of the minimum 250 to pass. 7.4 mph is not impressive at all for speed, that's barely faster than a slow tug (6 mph).

You might ask, but if I was running 8 miles per day with a 30 lb vest, at 6 mph, why could I only do 7.4 mph? The answer is you revert to habits that you've practiced. I ran the fastest speed that would not tire me out (i.e., I could go on forever) without the vest.

Although it's not linear, with the vest I increase my bodyweight by 18%. That run was 23% faster than what I normally practice. It's within spitting distance, i.e. it's the speed I've been practicing for the past two months, adjusted for weight.

I miscalculated with the crunches as well. I did 100 last night as a test, but that wasn't enough, the standards have been raised and I need to max that out. With a max crunch and run, I would have a passing 263 PFT.

So where do I go from here?

I have another PFT scheduled in September. I need to practice the weighted run at more or less 10 MPH speed to be able to run that without getting tired. I need to continue to diet/lose weight while also losing lbs. 155 should be my target weight, and I need to be able to run 18:00 on a hot day and not be tired. The easiest start will be to run the 8 miles weighted at the same speed I just did for the PFT. And to practice 150 crunches per day.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #259
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I ran for 1 mile and did it at 6:00 minutes. Okay? That's similar to the numbers I put up last year before I did long distance training. What I observed:

-I went about 50% faster for the first half, and slowed for the second
-My upper body was burnt out, but my legs were fine
-I was unable to go full sprint for any leg of the run

This is dissimilar to what happened during the 3-mile run on my PFT. That one, I more or less ran it at a steady speed. Because I hit the halfway point at about 11:00 minutes

From Friday onward, I have 6 days until PFT 2. I've reached 115 crunches in tests but haven't made much progress on breaking the 14 rep pull-up ceiling. My goal is 18 pull-ups and to max out that run by next week. It's doable with drills, I think. I just need to get used to the accelerated heart rate at 12 mph.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #260
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

15 pull-ups???

I need to check this again. It doesn't seem right or add-up at all.

Basically, to prevent swinging, I crossed my legs and bent them back a bit during the pull-up and for some reason it massively increased the reps I could do. You might not think 2 reps is "massive" but once I crossed 10, I felt like I could do another 10. Usually I'm starting to wind down by that time.

According to what I've found online Marine Corps I can do this form. I have to practice other looks still but it's weird. I might have been able to push 16.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #261
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

So, pullups actually have a very specific form that reduces injury risk and makes things both easier and a little harder (since you're engaging muscles you don't usually use).

Core straight, legs bent and crossed, arms at a 90 degree angle, shoulders down and back (to retract the scapulae). Here's scooby gently informing you all about how to do a proper pull up.

I would recommend doing the slow concentric and eccentric movements as Scooby suggests while training (optimal hypertrophy and strength gainz), but don't do that if you take a PFT because they're gonna get mad at you.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've seen that video before! I've practiced all range of grips, widths and leg forms. The problem was I was very slow to raise my maximum reps without a weight drop. Going from 178 lbs to 167 lbs lead to a +6 increase in reps without building anymore strength. The past couple weeks where it's been too cold to really lose much weight I've been focusing on CNS and arm/chest/shoulder strength. Which may have paid dividends, or it might just be the bent legs. I don't know.

I did my Marine Corps PFT almost a month ago and managed 12. Ideally, I would like 18 before Wednesday but realistically, it's not happening in 3 days.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #263
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

So I started doing the stronglifts 5x5, although I combine the two days into 1 and do stronglifts one day, followed by an arms day (don't feel like my arms are getting enough out of the stronglifts), followed by a rest day. Been struggling a bit for consistency since I started, due to being busy and recently having to go away for two weeks which threw out my diet and stuff. Im down to 107kg at the moment (235lb), which is a good start considering I normally sit around 110-112kg. My lifts at the moment are:
Squat: 90kg
Bench:65kg
Barbell Row:70kg
Overhead Press:45kg
Deadlift:110kg

Need to get some wrist straps because I have really bad wrists and its throwing off my bench and overhead in particular. 110kg with the deadlift is feeling pretty easy at the moment, will probably up it to 115 or maybe even 120kg although I prefer to be cautious with deadlifts. Ideally I would like to be down to 100kg by the end of the year which should be achievable.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #264
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I feel like it's just your form, unless you have a history of wrist injuries. Are you fully incapable of pushing the bar up with a straight arm and not pushing with your wrist?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #265
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

My wrists are bad from football, as is my left shoulder but they are manageable. I had wrist straps on today and it was much better.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #266
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Past couple days I've been managing this diet:

x2 quarts soymilk (800 calories)
x1 turkey sub (650 calories)

=1,450

Seems kind of crazy that such little food is already rubbing up against my BMR, but I had to cheat on this diet today and ate 70% of a whole pizza (4900 calories).

Why?

Because I had horrible dysentery from that 1450 calories diet. That diet had a lot of fiber and water, and it was pressing my intestines with intense urgency. I ran my usual 3 miles and had to stagger back home out of fear of soiling myself, it was horrible. And I had to go 3 times this morning with no ability to hold it back.

It sucks, but I had to ingest that massive amount of cheese to force constipation. Now, I'm facing something of a dilemma where I need a lot of calories but can't have too much dietary fiber, yet all the constipating factors are remarkably calorie dense.

Anyone got suggestions?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #267
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Map out an actual diet.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #268
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Re: wrist pain

I used to have wrist pain when bench pressing and switching to the "bulldog grip" cured it 100%. People's natural instinct is to have the bar high in their palms because they want to wrap their fingers around the bar, but if you fight this natural instinct and put the bar low in your palm you can still wrap your fingers around it securely, and it will prevent your wrists from being bent back.

https://stronglifts.com/bench-press/wrists/

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #269
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Is that an overhand or underhand grip?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #270
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Still overhand. If you bench press with an underhand grip it's known as a reverse grip bench press. It's much harder and builds the triceps.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #271
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The diarrheal problems weren't because of fiber. That was a red herring.

I got food poisoning from a Chinese restaurant I ate at on 11/8. I ate a lot of fin and shellfish there but the symptoms didn't take into effect until two days later. And, unlike other food poisoning cases I've gone through, because I ate so little food and very little of it was high in sodium, I wasn't dumping water like I normally did. Instead I had a mason jar clay-like stools that were nonetheless painful and urgent.

Cheese/milk/bulking agents didn't solve the problem, but it looks like yogurt and greek yogurt sure have.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #272
Mozz
Golden Wang of Justice

take a probiotic, eat kimchee/sauerkraut/yogurt, pour your soy milk down the drain
Mozz's Van, named after Bulbagardens creditor, was a hidden forum section where staff members could share pictures of their tiny penises and engage in homosex. Sadly, HAVA media, Bulbagardens new corporate overlord, forced it's closure. Can't have porn on a children's website.
Mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #273
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Update after however long:

I've been slowly increasing my calories and gym time for the past two years. Gave Stronglifts 5x5 a try for a solid year and saw some good results in terms of strength gain, but it wasn't really helping with the loose skin problem because Stronglifts does not have any hypertrophy training.

So I've now started a new exercise plan: two days powerlifting, two days hypertrophy. I've also added in some conditioning. Still no 'official' cardio because I walk around an hour a day anyways.

I'm still finding it really difficult to eat enough and feel gross and bloated if I consume more than 2k calories a day; this is no doubt why Stronglifts wasn't as effective as I'd hoped (though still worthwhile). Also I hate overhead press.

Life goes on.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc