UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pokémon Shuffle

In the January 14, 2015 issue of Nintendo Direct, Iwata & Team introduce the world to Pokémon Shuffle, a Bejeweled / Puzzles & Dragons / Candy Crush Saga-esque game. (GameSpot article)

It comes out in February 2015. The game is free of charge but, like most similar games found on cell phones, the 3DS exclusive is going to only let you play so many times a day unless you fork over some cash.

Thoughts? I think the game looks cute. I also can't help but to notice Iwata's left eye. (The eye on our right.) Did he suffer a stroke? Is it something like myasthenia gravis? I don't remember Iwata having ptosis before. But yeah , I think the game looks cute. I was actually excited to go and download it and give it a spin tonight but then he said it comes out in February and I was all "Awwwwwww! "
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Genuinely not sure why this isn't an iPhone app. Likely because they could use a majority of Battle Trozei's code and only change the timed and other functions
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

It's going to have a paywall? Eww. Not cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
I have trozei. Not gonna get this :P

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Isn't this just Pokemon Battle Trozei in a free to play package with Mega Evolution? Should've been an option to get the full game in this since free to play games are almost always terribke from my experience.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I finally have a reason to get Trozei.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #7
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Good god, I already knew this was going to be shovelware the moment I saw it, but I never thought it'd be this tumourously bad. This is the sort of shit I expect from fucking EA.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So, basically, they took Battle Trozei, threw in those shady-ass money-making gimmicks from Candy Crush, topped it off with the addition of Mega Evolution, and they have the gall to expect people to fall for this? Yeah, hell no. I'll stick with Battle Trozei, thank you.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
So, basically, they took Battle Trozei, threw in those shady-ass money-making gimmicks from Candy Crush, topped it off with the addition of Mega Evolution, and they have the gall to expect people to fall for this? Yeah, hell no. I'll stick with Battle Trozei, thank you.
Who are you and what did you do with Missingno. Master? O_o (Not the message's content but the way you've expressed it.)

This is the kind of thing you have fun with a few times for free and then delete, guys. Yeah, paywalls are scammy. No, you needn't let them get in your way of enjoying a perfectly free 30-minute experience.

*points to Layton Brothers game for iPhone that Daisy and I played the free chapters of*
Old 01-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

It can't be all too bad if this is Nintendo doing it, after all I remember they made a few free to play games but they weren't total messes that nickel and dimed you for everything, at least that's what I heard. And this can't be too hard being targeted to kids and all, I'd say give it a chance. It's almost like a demo version of Battle Trozei anyway.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Even after all these years Nintendo is still competing with SEGA to make a better scam game. Too bad they're only releasing it on their main console!
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I got this game last night. Currently through Stage 19, and was also lucky enough to catch Mew on my first try despite 14% odds of success.

The game is both cute and fun. However, its P2P element is frustrating. You only get to play five stages for free, after which time you regenerate chances to play at a rate of one chance every thirty minutes. And it caps at five, too. :\ So basically you get to play six times (5+1regen) per thirty-minute session and then you have to put the game away for two and a half hours. It sucks. It's great design from a monetization scheme perspective, but it's just plain awful for those of us who are both stubborn enough to play and to not pay any money for it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Currently through Stage 52, on to Stage 53. The game continues to be fun in its positive aspects and irritating in its negative, pay-to-play ones. It's definitely one of those games where you just sort of play it to "beat it" and, once you reach the end, you probably won't play it much ever again. It lacks the perma-fun of puzzle games like Tetris or Puyo Puyo in this regard. But it still isn't bad. And perhaps for very young players what I just said is wrong and they would find this game enjoyable even after they get max everything.

The world map music is really nice for a Pokémon game. Middle Eastern bazaar song sounds Middle Eastern, beach song sounds stereotypically beachy, Japanese festival night song sounds Japanese festival nighty ... things work well.

Annoyed that Pokémon do not appear to evolve. It makes up-leveling pre-evos pointless. You should just toss 'em to the curb as soon as you get stronger replacements. Which is as disheartening as it is annoying.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I reached Level 120 about five to seven days ago but have been stuck there ever since. Levels 110 to 119 saw a sudden increase in difficulty, but I was still able to beat the stages (if some of them only just barely). But Level 120, the "boss stage" of the world it's in, is impossibly difficult on arrival. When I first got there, I was lucky to do just over 50% HP damage to the boss; now, after much casual grinding (grinding attached to the more focused goal of trying to capture creatures from the Expert bonus stages), I regularly manage to deal over 75% HP damage but I sometimes fall short of even that and regardless I have never once yet beaten the darn thing. People online remark that this is the "Give us money! " stage, a deliberate brick wall set up by the programmers to channel kids into spending real world money on the game in order to gain access to powerful tools that will make beating the stage a snap. I'm inclined to agree. Even if earlier stages roadblocked me before this one did, they were roadblocks I managed to overcome with only a tiny little bit of effort grinding elsewhere. Here, I've raised a Ninetales, Aurorus, and Lucario all to Level 6 by accident (Level 10 is the maximum) and I still can't beat the darn thing.

I have a backup plan I've been working on: a mono-Fire team consisting of base power 70s (Ninetales, Moltres) and 80s (Heatran, who I have not yet captured) all with their power augmented by Combusken (who, while weak, has an ability that augments all Fire types' damage by 50%). I don't understand if Combusken's ability is passively always boosting my dudes' attacks or if it only boosts her own. If it's the latter, then this plan won't be any better than my current team. But if it's the former, then it may give me the power edge I need to transform 75% HP damage into 100% HP damage.

I should note that I am not using any items that would make beating the stage easy. I do occasionally purchase the relatively inexpensive experience point-boosting item since a) I want my guys to grow faster and b) it costs less than the daily gift of 500 coins you get just by connecting to the Internet, but that item understandably doesn't directly make beating the stage any easier. It isn't like the 2000-coin items that let your mega be mega evolved immediately or that let you play with a team of only three creatures (making matches easier) instead of four.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #15
Heather
Naga's Voice

Yeah, when it comes to games like this, the boss stages are usually the "Give us money! " stages. There are two ways to do this, either a hard or soft gate. A hard gate literally says "no money, no passage." There is no way through except to fork over cash, and any game that uses one is one I put down upon hitting it, because if you're going to do that, just have us pay for the damn game from the outset. And then there are soft gates, where you can get around without cash, but it's much, MUCH harder to do so. Unfair boss levels like this are soft gates that are only soft by definition of "its theoretically possible to get by without paying." These are equally annoying in my opinion. I understand a Wake-Up-Call Boss, but that sort of thing goes beyond that, and in my opinion, it interferes with gameplay and makes the game less enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
I only just literally downloaded yesterday, but I've been playing through it. Something odd happened. When I got to the Vulpix stage (#42) the stage icon showed a shiny Vulpix. When I played the stage, sure enough the Vulpix was shiny and I managed to catch it. Serebii didn't say anything about shinies, but other than the obvious colour change, I don't think it is any different than a standard Vulpix. Still, I must have been really lucky to get it. Anyone else know anything about the shinies in this game or encountered one?
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The world map music is really nice for a Pokémon game. Middle Eastern bazaar song sounds Middle Eastern, beach song sounds stereotypically beachy, Japanese festival night song sounds Japanese festival nighty ... things work well.
Love, love, love the Japanese Festival music! Huge fan of the Battle Frontier ending that used this music in the anime.

Anyway, I downloaded the game a few weeks ago, towards the end of the Keldeo stage. I did manage to get it with the free Complexity-1 item I got for free. It's fun and a nice way to waste time.

Right now, my strongest are a Scyther and Lucario. Leveled the crap out of them during that stupid Friend Safari event. I did manage to get everything but Cherrim, which bankrupted me out of coins and gems. Most frustrating thing I ever attempted to catch.

Not planning on wasting that much time on Banettite, since I can't even manage 10k points with my (Mega) Sableye/Absol/Sharpedo/Misdreavus team. I think I'd rather shoot for Mega Gengar, though I'm so crazy about Mega Slowbro it's unreal.

Never heard of shinies, but it wouldn't surprise me if they added one/some to the game.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #18
Torkoal Stu
This

I apprehensively downloaded this game the other day because I was looking for something to fill five/ten minutes here and there and I must say, I love it.

I can imagine if you took it really seriously it would be a nightmare. But for some lighthearted fun it is ideal.

Mega Audino looks so cute~ D:
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #19
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
I apprehensively downloaded this game the other day because I was looking for something to fill five/ten minutes here and there and I must say, I love it.

I can imagine if you took it really seriously it would be a nightmare. But for some lighthearted fun it is ideal.

Mega Audino looks so cute~ D:
You have NO idea.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 02-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #20
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
You have NO idea.
Haha, what stage are you currently on?
Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #21
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

301. But I've been playing every day for like 10 months. Doing every event etc.

The current safari is breaking me.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 02-19-2016, 03:18 AM   #22
Torkoal Stu
This

Quote:
301. But I've been playing every day for like 10 months. Doing every event etc.

The current safari is breaking me.
You are very commited. I know I won't get that far, mostly because I'm only half-heartedly playing it combined with not willing to pay any money on it means I'll probably burn out soon.

Also the game seems to punishing me I haven't swapped out Mega Audino for the other Megas I've obtained because every single match it tries to get me to use a different one xd;

Also I know it's just dumb luck but I had 80% catch rate on Volbeat two times and it got out both times D:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON