UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Metal Gear Solid: Where should I start?

For years I have been itching to get into the series, but have no idea where to start. About two years ago I looked around online trying to determine where best to start and the opinion seemed pretty split, so I downloaded an emulator and played the original MGS for PS1 and wound up putting the game down immediately after defeating Psycho Mantis.

Years later, MGSV is out, and I really want to play it. Unfortunately, the general consensus is that you probably shouldn't play it if you have never touched a MGS game before.

So here's the thing. MGS is an odd series in that it isn't even remotely chronological and jumps all over the place, past to past to future to past to future to past, something like that, I don't know. This seems inefficient from a story telling perspective, but in some cases I hear it tells the story in a fairly sensible way?

I'm really unsure of this, where to start, and if chronological would just be the all around better way to go. Any MGS fans here that can help a guy who's barely touched the series?
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Just start with MGS1 or Twin Snakes (the GC remake). You honestly can't play the game in chronological order because the series is constantly making references to itself.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You should start with MGS1 because it introduces several characters, concepts, and running gags that the later games build upon.

Then you should play MGS2 just to say you've played it. Personally it's my least favorite in the franchise, but for many it's their No.1. So you should check it out regardless. Gotta complete it to get the full package.

MGS3 comes next on your checklist. Easily my favorite in the franchise. Best story (imo), best cast of characters, best boss fights ... Thing is, MGS1 is classic, and I have much respect for and quite a bit of young nostalgia for what it did; but years later 3 remains the game I think back to as "grand" time and again.

Haven't played the rest. No means to. :\ Some day ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
phoopes
Double Dragon

Yeah I'm also sorta confused on this. Like how many games do I actually need to play? Wikipedia claims there are eleven games in the main series whereas the Metal Gear Wiki says there are nine. Wikipedia includes Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising which I'm pretty sure is a spinoff. I bought the HD remake forever ago because it includes the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and was going to start there but never got around to it.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
For years I have been itching to get into the series, but have no idea where to start.
Ingest copious amounts of LSD.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Story-wise, MGS1 takes place after the 1980s MG games. Gameplay-wise, MGS1 is essentially MG1 redone with better graphics and gameplay. (But it's practically the same core/type of story, with very similar progression.) If you've somehow managed to not be spoiled on MG1's big plot twist, and if you also don't mind primitive games, then sure, you can start with MG1. But MGS1 is an acceptable springboard, and recommended if you already know MG1's main story elements. (There are character references in MGS1 that you will care about more if you've previously played MG1 and 2.)

MGS2 is 100% a sequel to MG1 story-wise. Gameplay-wise it's a replica transplanted to a new location according to some. (I didn't find it to be that copy-and-paste, personally.)

MGS3 ties in to the entire franchise (MG and MGS) and should be played ideally in release order but at the very least after MG1 (or after knowing of what happens in MG1).

MGS4 is a sequel to various plot threads from MGS2 and 3. Afaik it really ought not to be played first.

Pretty sure most of the spinoffs can be counted out. Not sure about Revengeance.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #7
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Revengeance is super fun, but not exactly necessary to understand Metal Gear lore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Play MGS, MGS VR Missions, and MGS2. All steeply downhill after those until Revengeance. After that its right back downhill for good ~_~
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
If you have a PS3/X360 then buy the Metal Gear Solid HD collection. It has: Metal Gear(the original Metal Gear), Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

It does not, unfortunately, have MGS1 but that is quite easy to emulate. It also does not have MGS4 which, unfortunately enough, is PS3-only so there's nothing to be done about that.

After all that, there's only Ground Zeroes before Phantom Pain...

Oh, and as far as I know, Revengeance isn't connected to the main storyline, but it's fucking kickass(if you can manage to get through the first ten minutes of "wtf blocking is so hard") so you should play it anyway.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #10
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Only played like two, but MGS2 was pretty cool.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #11
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Yeah, naked Raiden doing cartwheels tends to have that effect. :p
Old 09-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Chalis
Activating Rampage

I hated that part, not being able to use weapons and all.
but "... did a raw blink on Hara-kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!"

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
It does not, unfortunately, have MGS1 but that is quite easy to emulate. It also does not have MGS4 which, unfortunately enough, is PS3-only so there's nothing to be done about that.[/B]
All PS3s are BC with PS1 discs so MGS & VR Missions can be played on it. Both games are also available for purchase on the PSN store if you're into DD. Pretty much the whole MGS series can be played on a PS3 barring Portable Ops. There's also the MGS Database you can download on PSN full of all kinds of info leading up to MGS4 (and including it once you have a completed save file iirc).
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #14
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I forget if deoxys has a X360 or PS3 so.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #15
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'll probably just emulate MGS, like I was, the question now is if I play that or Twin Snakes. As someone who didn't grow up with it or a PS1, I can't quite feel the nostalgia for MGS1 and it really hasn't aged well, so I don't know which would be more ideal to play
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #16
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I started playing the series a month or two ago since a friend got really into it and I'd been meaning to start it anyways. I messed around in MG1 and MG2 first, but wasn't really enjoying it enough to get very far in either before starting MGS. MGS informs you of their events, and luckily, MGS functions in a way that I still feel like I didn't lose out on any effects that would be amplified by playing the originals.

Anyways, so far I've finished MGS and MGS2, and I enjoyed MGS more as a whole since it's story was better imo than the Big Shell's (Not including the Tanker chapter which i think is extremely well done). MGS2 definitely has the better gameplay though, but that's to be expected. I'm about 3.5 hours into MGS3 rn and liking it a lot. Have the PS3 collection edition, so I've still got Peace Walker and MGS4 to play after this before I go out and get GZ and MGS5. Also plan to play Rising sometime.

The main reason I was looking for this thread though is because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszP...ature=youtu.be

Konami never fails to find more ways to make people hate them and prove they're the scum of the earth. (Also idk if there's another MGS General thread further back; just came here because I remembered one popping up a bit back and here we are)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games