UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't yet heard anything that signifies it as such. Disgruntled and/or psychotic foreign resident =/= terrorist who plotted to come to America with the express purpose of killing people as a means of making a political statement. And I don't know that we have evidence that these guys are the first, the second, or neither of these two possibilities. Chechen who kills innocent civilians in America =/= automatically a terrorist. "Terrorist" in the sense that they're terrorizing people, sure, but terrorist in the contemporary sense of the word, I don't think we have enough information yet to say.

I mean, do we even know that the perpetrators of last night's horror are the same people who rigged the marathon's finish line area? Obviously they were suspects (or if not before they certainly are now!) given their presence in photos taken near the crime scene, but afaik it's also possible that these guys didn't do the marathon but did do the stuff last night. They could be psycho copycats for all we know, the real culprit still at large. I guess only time will tell.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I mean, do we even know that the perpetrators of last night's horror are the same people who rigged the marathon's finish line area? Obviously they were suspects (or if not before they certainly are now!) given their presence in photos taken near the crime scene, but afaik it's also possible that these guys didn't do the marathon but did do the stuff last night. They could be psycho copycats for all we know, the real culprit still at large. I guess only time will tell.
Yes, they are the perpetrators. The suspect still at large right now "white hat" was seen at the Marathon with bags, caught on video. Also, apparently he and his brother only lived here for a year before doing this. It's been confirmed by the BPD, via twitter.

Just some things to keep in mind.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Yes, they are the perpetrators. The suspect still at large right now "white hat" was seen at the Marathon with bags, caught on video. Also, apparently he and his brother only lived here for a year before doing this. It's been confirmed by the BPD, via twitter.

Just some things to keep in mind.
I know all of what you just said. But none of that is conclusive evidence that they did it. The FBI agrees that they remain suspects at this point -- because merely being seen on camera with bags near the finish line is hardly conclusive proof that they did it. Lord only knows how many men and women had duffel bags / large sports bags at the race that day. Lord only knows how many people at the race have only lived here for one or two years -- including many of the victims!

Like the FBI, do I agree that these guys would seem to be the most likely to have committed the acts? Certainly, given a) their responses to law enforcement and b) the similarity of the acts they committed last night with those committed at the race. I'm not stupid, and neither is the FBI. But at the same time, I'm just saying that we haven't really heard anything yet that conclusively proves these guys did it, that they're not merely copycats who got sniffed out by the FBI during their investigations in the Boston area this week and who, for whatever reasons, acted out last night. But the 21st century media, hungry as ever to be one step ahead of their competitors, seem desperate to paint these guys as the 100% for-certain perpetrators. And it's like, whoa there, fellas. Let's not be too hasty. Let's wait for the authorities who have all the information to weigh in in full.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
But the 21st century media, hungry as ever to be one step ahead of their competitors, seem desperate to paint these guys as the 100% for-certain perpetrators. And it's like, whoa there, fellas. Let's not be too hasty. Let's wait for the authorities who have all the information to weigh in in full.
Another point for the Beeb. /fanboy

(Headline at time of post: US police chase Boston bomb suspect).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Mercutio
Banned

Well they're inherently still suspects until proven guilty. That's rather the point of your justice system. The fact that they're clearly responsible is moot (and doesn't eliminate the possibility that they're not the masterminds or only ones involved etc.).
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
Talon87
時の彼方へ

And from Concept's article we even find this, Amras:
Quote:
Both are said to be of Chechen origin, and are reported to have moved to the United States about 10 years ago.
Even I didn't question your one-year claim, but it looks I should have as it looks like you might have been misled by whatever source you read. Now granted, maybe the BBC's the one who's been misled ^^; , but I rather doubt that. [/fanning Concept's Beeb fanboy flames]

AK2 reports that several of the UMass colleges have been evacuated for the weekend, including his campus. Students in the dorms were asked to pack whatever they might need for the weekend and to head on out. So he's currently living with his roommate's family.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
AK2 reports that several of the UMass colleges have been evacuated for the weekend, including his campus. Students in the dorms were asked to pack whatever they might need for the weekend and to head on out. So he's currently living with his roommate's family.
Yep. And someone on campus was arrested today, and the state SWAT are on campus, along with helicopters in the campus center courtyard. It's like a full-blown action movie!
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #33
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
They're at it again. On a rampage tonight, the suspects who appear to be from the Boston bombings Monday are wreaking havoc in Boston suburbs. Killed an MIT officer and then proceeded to lead the cops on a high speed chase through Cambridge and Watertown. You can follow the feed here. You can follow live on reddit here.

The suspects attacked police with grenades, long guns, pipe bombs, and planted more pressure cooker bombs around. Cops have been disarming them and have already killed one suspect. Another is still missing.

This is like a fucking nightmare. Stay safe tonight Boston. STAY INSIDE.
Again, feel like I dodged a bullet. I was thinking about going home this weekend. This always involves Boston transit- so I would have found out today that the ship had sailed, or rather wasn't running at all. ^_^;;; No MBTA service during martial law
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #34
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Talon

I think it's confirmed at this point that they've been living in the US for over a decade. I was watching the local news and they said that, citing an uncle who lives in the states as well. Said uncle though also hasn't seen them since 2009, and begged for "white hat" to turn himself in.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just heard on the BPD police scanner:

"Second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing has been taken into custody"

They cornered him in a boat in a residential backyard. Operations are closing up now and people in the streets are cheering.

edit: "It's a proud day to be a Boston Police Officer and I'm proud of you all" - BPD Commissioner on the scanner just now, BPD officers replying with "awesome" and "thanks boss". ;_;7
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Uhhhhh, it's all over the TV right now. ^_^; No need to go eavesdropping on the police radio channels.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Uhhhhh, it's all over the TV right now. ^_^; No need to go eavesdropping on the police radio channels.
I haven't been following TV news aside from BBC, and they've been behind significantly. I've been following the police scanner on Ustream that has over 250k consistent viewers all day. It's hardly eavesdropping considering it's public.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It's been pretty interesting to follow this manhunt because we've gotten to see all the methods the police have been using to track these guys. Maybe I'm too addicted to YGO right now, but hearing about their methods is making me think up a ton of counter-strategies and is forcing me to critically look at how the bombers screwed up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Glad they caught him. They really need to get that police scanner thing sorted out in the future.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Illustrating my point about hasty, unreliable media reporting these days, we have this news story about how an innocent Indian young man was hungrily yet misidentified by the Reddit mob as one of the bombers and how even big names in journalism seized upon this information and reported it as fact themselves. Lol at how the one Reddit fanatic is like (paraphrased) "This day marks a huge blow to the lamestream media and a huge boon for Reddit! Journalists of the future, TAKE NOTE! " Oh, they're taking note alright. Taking note of what awful journalists you lot would be, guilty of the very crime (preoccupied with being first with the facts rather than being certain that your facts are facts) you claim to oppose.

I read yesterday about a third suspect (who had been stripped to his skivvies and detained for questioning) but I've not seen any word about him since yesterday afternoon. Another case of ghosts conjured up by sloppy journalism?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

I don't know, I was absolutely disgusted with reddit trying to playing internet detectives. They had no fucking idea what they were doing and were possibly ruining innocent lives by doing so, in particular "the man in the blue robe" who had been sent nasty messages on social networks and said he was forced to take himself to court to prove his innocence, and Sunil Tripathi.

Absolutely disgusted. Everyone who participated in such retarded vigilantism should be ashamed.

As for my using the police scanner, I was simply following the events throughout the day and found getting the news straight from the horse's mouth as opposed to the sensationalist media was a much preferable option. Although, as I said, I tried BBC as well (And MSNBC early on) but both were just talking about the same things over and over and bringing on uninteresting "guests".
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #42
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
On the subject of internet detectives.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #43
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
What the hell do you expect if, after a pretty huge tragedy, massive amounts of bored, untrained people get access to huge amounts of information?

It was an asshole move but it was nothing more than to be expected. Consider it the price of freedom.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #44
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
What the hell do you expect if, after a pretty huge tragedy, massive amounts of bored, untrained people get access to huge amounts of information?

It was an asshole move but it was nothing more than to be expected. Consider it the price of freedom.
No, they wanted "justice!"

It was so much about being bored as trying to play the hero. They were fucking retarded.

>Consider it the price of freedom.

lol strawman
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 AM   #45
Mercutio
Banned

I think 'consider it one of the drawbacks of the absurdity that is free access to the internet' would be more appropriate.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #46
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I think 'consider it one of the drawbacks of the absurdity that is free access to the internet' would be more appropriate.
Access to the internet isn't free, nor is it absurd. Yes, the internet enabled people to play detective, but most of us wouldn't and didn't.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #47
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

The ones who played dectective may have made things worse, but technically, things like this have been going on for years, but now that we are in a technology era, it just happens differently.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #48
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Falsely accused student of Boston attacks confirmed dead

Oh shit. This is gonna weigh heavily on the consciences of those Redditors who participated in the amateur investigation now being called by many a bonafide witch hunt. To say nothing of the fact that the Redditors involved or Reddit itself could face civil charges from the deceased's family. (Or hell, they may even feel they have grounds for criminal charges, particularly against the site. Accusations of criminal negligence and whatnot, perhaps.)

It's not yet clear whether he committed suicide or was murdered.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Falsely accused student of Boston attacks confirmed dead

Oh shit. This is gonna weigh heavily on the consciences of those Redditors who participated in the amateur investigation now being called by many a bonafide witch hunt. To say nothing of the fact that the Redditors involved or Reddit itself could face civil charges from the deceased's family. (Or hell, they may even feel they have grounds for criminal charges, particularly against the site. Accusations of criminal negligence and whatnot, perhaps.)
Not really, because it says he went missing March 16th, which is much before any of this happened.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #50
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
Not really, because it says he went missing March 16th, which is much before any of this happened.
I assumed it was a typo given the date of the race (April 15), but it seems you're right: other sites also report that he's been missing since March. My mistake. Although if the coroner's office reports that the body is less than two weeks old, then what I said would be right back on the table. Doubtful though, the more I look into this story. Sounds like he went missing and left both his cell phone and wallet in his room when he did, so he probably died very soon after he went missing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc