UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #51
deoxys
Fog Badge

Well, the Wii U is out and there is plenty to read about it. Nintendo finally ditched friend codes altogether, but as IGN explains, the friend system is still annoyingly complex compared to the standard.

Review for the system won't come til tomorrow or Tuesday, but here's an interesting video - http://ign.com/videos/2012/11/17/wii...-you-must-know
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #52
deoxys
Fog Badge

Also sad to say ZombiU is pulling bad scores and looks like Red Steel all over again.

Actually the only well reviewed games thus far are NSMB U and Batman, even though I have read Batman M's framerate is utterly terrible. Glad I waited - the Wii U is really stumbling out of the gate for the first console of the next Gen. I'm fairly disappointed with everything I've seen on it so far.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #53
phoopes
Double Dragon

The one thing that annoys me about the IGN video is that you have to download a patch to access all the features. Now, I know little to nothing about technology, so correct me if I'm wrong but... if there's a patch out "Day 1" (so IGN says) of the system, why can't they just include it with the system when they sell it? Seems a little pointless to me.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #54
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
To be fair, Nintendo is trying a lot of stuff for the first time with this. Hopefully they'll be able to fix some issues with firmware updates soon. I don't want to feel bad when I inevitably get this system, dammit!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #55
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
The one thing that annoys me about the IGN video is that you have to download a patch to access all the features. Now, I know little to nothing about technology, so correct me if I'm wrong but... if there's a patch out "Day 1" (so IGN says) of the system, why can't they just include it with the system when they sell it? Seems a little pointless to me.
The item was manufactured months before the release to meet the date. Since then, the developers have written new code to make the system capable of those things the guy listed. If they put the code into the manufacturing plant, it might have to stop production and already made units would need to be redone, greatly delaying the product. The physical product is done, it's merely coding which was late. Since the internet is now so available to almost every person living in modern society, it's something companies will use. Waiting could prove disastrous, especially a post-Christmas release.

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't attaching updates to their games. It's how the 360 sometimes did it. i.e. "This game requires update X.Y.Z. Do you want to install it?" Most are also just a few hundred megabytes, so it doesn't take away from the game disc.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #56
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I'm surprised Nintendo isn't attaching updates to their games. It's how the 360 sometimes did it. i.e. "This game requires update X.Y.Z. Do you want to install it?" Most are also just a few hundred megabytes, so it doesn't take away from the game disc.
Nintendo did that regularly with the Wii as well, so it is a surprise they aren't doing it for WiiU titles yet.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
Nintendo did that regularly with the Wii as well, so it is a surprise they aren't doing it for WiiU titles yet.
If I had to guess, the first shipments of the games are probably as old as if not older than the first shipments of the hardware.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #58
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/wii-u-review

TLDR - The novelty of the gamepad pays off and makes the console worth it, but the system OS is heavily flawed and downright annoying in it's current state, offering glimpses at what could be.

- Voice chat is terrible, pro controllers don't even come with a jack- it must all be done via GamePad
-GamePad only gets ~4 hours charge and takes 2.5 hours to recharge
-GamPad resolution is the same as the first iPhone screen despite being six inches. The controller itself also feels very cheap.
-Nintendo Land is about the only truly worthwhile game out so far even though Mario U is still decent.

So yeah - a good buy, but you'd basically be rewarded for waiting a bit before going forward with a purchase. Which is fine, considering you probably won't find them in stores until around April anyway.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #59
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I am not on board calling these games "[title] U" since that's already the way to say "[name] University." Sorry, Nintendo. But I'm going to keep on calling your games by their full names.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #60
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

So, my local mall (wow, weird being able to actually say I have a local mall), they have this WiiU stan thing set up all month long. So, I got to try it out.

The Gamepad IS light. Like. Wow. It wasn't particularly noticable for me, but then later I thought about the weight of the nearest comparable thing, the iPad. Yeeeeaaah, this thing is really light. But, who cares, it's software I go for, not hardware. And this doesn't dissapoint- Nintendoland is really cool and innovative, probably the best minigame thing I've ever seen. If there's anyone you fancy playing the game with, I highly recommend it- If it can make rather introverted strangers socialize, just imagine how much fun it is for bigger groups. The competitve games are good in two-player, but I personally think the enjoyment level absolutely skyrockets when you have at least three players, since it allows for team mechanics, which make the games provided particularly fun- It's obvious they were designed with this in mind. For Co-op games, I only played the Zelda one, but it's quite well done for what it does. In fact, I held up the swor at the beggining... And found out that, yes, this minigame DOES feature the Skyward Strike. Fun! It's cool how you have to plan ahead to get long combos, which I personally think are what you should be aiming for in this game. Didn't play as the Gamepad for this one, though, so I'm not sure what that entails other than being the only guy with a bow. I can guess, though.

I suck at dance games.

I also played some soccer game. I have no idea how sports games work, frankly. But this one was intuitive enough for ME to quickly be able to play. Is it frustrating when your opponent passes a lot? 'cause I was passing a LOT. I think I played it too safe, though- I never scored. I did, however, maintain a consistent ball control percentage, and I got it close to the goal quite a few times (I think I shot on it twice?).

I didn't play the new Mario platformer, but I did watch a fair bit. Incorporates some cool and unique gameplay mechanics. The suit blocks in particular are interesting, serving both as hinderances and aids at times.

There were a lot more games, but I don't remember anything about them at the moment. Perhaps later.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games