UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #4976
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
THAT'S ABOUT ALL ONE CAN DO WITH A FUCKING PICTURE AND NOTHING ELSE TO SHOW FOR IT!
That's why you have to watch it!
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #4977
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Watched the first two episodes of Hataraku Maou-sama!, and it's already easily a favorite.

Reasons to watch:

1. Unique and interesting premise

2. Hilarious comedy that will actually make you laugh

Thinking about making a thread for it. I am really, really liking this show and can't wait for the next episode.
I watched this too - albeit out of order by accident (so I was slightly spoiled regarding the third pic). ^^; Actually, finishing with the first episode might've been more satisfying since it had many moments of comedy gold:

Spoiler: show
Supersize Me, anyone? Never would've imagined an animé to reference that. XD Holy Potter, sure, but I didn't even know the former was translated/Japanese audiences knew about that documentary. o.O;

Also the language barrier was adorable. (Love their intonations in the last one. Sounding like half-guttural gibberish just makes it even better.) As well as the best way to summon a taxi.

Second episode was good too, despite my confusion due to the sudden jump cut. XP This and Suisei no Gargantia are my favorites of the season so far. I would approve of a thread. =3
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #4978
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quickly skimmed the first page of this MyAnimeList thread on Aku no Hana. I found it amusing. FYI, the first troll picture is of Nanba Mutta from Uchuu Kyoudai a.k.a. Space Brothers. I don't think I need to introduce you to who that final picture is of though. (GYAAAGH!)

OH GOD, MEIN EYES! >_< I just went to Page 9 and ... GYAAAAAAAGH!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #4979
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aku no Hana: on a total whim, I went ahead just now and watched the first episode.

The animation was very distracting: it's not just the "3D pig disgusting" visuals, it's the crappiness of things like ... like how sometimes people won't even have a face until they get closer, and then they have just lips until they get closer still, and finally they have eyes and nose as well. It's very distracting.

I was surprised at how quickly the episode went by. Felt like I'd been watching for 12-15 minutes and had just reached the climax of the episode. Totally didn't expect that that was how the episode ends. I was expecting to see {something I now guess I inadvertently spoiled Yuki on }, but I guess that doesn't happen until next episode.

I did like the little nod to how the title of the book Kasuga's reading (and the title of our series) uses the pre-war kanji for evil. 惡の華 is how they write it, but 悪の華 is the way it's spelled now. (惡 became 悪.) And 悪の花 is how I would've spelled it: 華 is a fancy way of writing 花 (they're the same word with the same exact readings) that shows up in some archaic or elegant words. Anyway, I doubt this'll have too much of an impact on the plot -- I just found it a fun little nod.

The swear word used by Nakamura is kusomushi, lit. "shitbug". I watched the CR version which translated it to "shit-face". It works. She called the teacher a curse word and glared him down: I think that gets across in all translations.

If people weren't saying that this series is insanely dark, I'd already be shipping Kasuga x Nakamura. Even if her grades are bad, she doesn't seem like she's stupid. Rather, she seems like someone who is too smart for school, thinks way outside the box, and just sees school as such a waste of her time that she doesn't even bother with the tests. But given that people say the series is fucking twisted, I guess she's going to turn out to be a psycho bitch.

Yamada's hair. <3

I don't really get the Baudelaire tie-in, despite reading the Wikipedia article. Maybe they'll explain it as we go along. Or maybe Baudelaire simply goes over my head.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #4980
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I just LOVE how opening a link from previous history doesn't open a new tab, but just uses the one you're currently viewing. I lost quite a bit of time because of that shit. Time to write this god damn post again.

I'm going to drop Crime Edge. The only reason I stuck with it this long is because of how cute the main girl is. Sadly that's not enough for me to dive any deeper into this gigantic pile of mental retardation.

Hataraku Maou-sama
Episode 3 was good. It wasn't very funny, but I liked some of the developments/events this episode. Chi's argument scene was nice. Thankfully she's a better character than I first thought she would be. I was afraid she'd be a cute ball of dull (with a side of titties).

Jewelpet Sunshine
I'm 25 episodes through this. Recently, things have gotten serious, which is kind of irritating coming from a show that's supposed to be silly and lighthearted. Along with that, some really sudden developments happened. Other than that, I have enjoyed the show. I usually don't want to watch more than 2 episodes at a time, but it's still enjoyable. Every episode has some cute and amusing events. Finally:

Part 1
Part 2

Teen pregnancy and surprise abortion in a kid's show! Oh goodness! I guess it'd be more convincing if picture 1 didn't have fruit laying around everywhere.....

I found a really cute MMD video. If you ignore the vocaloid vocals, it's a nice music video.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #4981
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Aku no Hana: So I had to watch the second episode of this and ... tbh, the story is interesting enough that it's got me hooked, but the presentation is very serious, the pace is a bit on the slow side, there's little to no background music to speak of (further accentuating the feelings of seriousness and real life-ness), and the character animation continues to be both mildly distracting (getting used to it bit by bit) and incredibly underwhelming in terms of technical detail.

The ending theme song is creepy and yet awesome enough that I totally want to get the full-length version. I also did a search for the lyrics. People are claiming that these (2nd post) are the lyrics to the full-length version of the song, so assuming they're right, there you go. TBH, this song makes me really wish we had a horror-thriller anime this season. I miss Another. Oh, and btw, the OP ain't bad either. Doesn't strike me as fitting this sort of series, but it's a cool song.

I took a look at the manga. Some things I noted:
  • Pages 004 thru 019 of Volume 1 are the second half or so of Episode 01. The first half was just anime padding showing off the rotoscoping, I guess. The manga begins with Kasuga reading his book in class; the third page of the story, Page 006, is him getting his test back.
  • Pages 004 thru 042 constitute Chapter 1 of the manga. The first chapter ends with Nakamura's smile on the bicycle (middle of Episode 02 of the anime).
  • The manga seems a lot less sinister or serious than the anime. Call it a bias of first impressions if you will, but I like the anime version better. It's clear that the manga is dealing with some pretty serious stuff but it doesn't come across that way visually.
  • Pages 044 thru 075 constitute Chapter 2 of the manga. It ends right where Episode 02 of the anime ends.
So basically, they covered half a manga chapter in Episode 01 but one and a half chapters in Episode 02, averaging out to around one chapter per episode. Pretty standard (as an average figure), but we'll have to see going forward whether the actual rate lines up with the average rate or not.

There are currently seven volumes of Aku no Hana, and Volume 8 is planned, indicating the series is not yet finished. (Correction: there are nine volumes. The series is still ongoing.) I have no idea how or why they would plan to cover this series in just thirteen episodes. But we know they do because, at the start of each episode, they mention that the series is planned to be thirteen episodes long. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, for fans who hate the current animation? ^^; It certainly leaves the door wide open for a second team to pick up where Team 1 left off (should they not do made-for-TV ending bullcrap) or else to reboot the series (should Team 1 indeed do a made-for-TV ending). Kinda getting tired of anime studios picking up projects that aren't yet done though. I know a ton of my favorites fit that description (Kaiji, Haruhi, Minami-ke, ...), but still. This is frustrating. There are currently over 40 manga chapters. At a ratio of roughly one chapter per episode, I request a 39-episode or a 52-episode series, not a 13-episode series.

Is anybody planning to make a thread for this series? If so, cool, I'll leave you to it. If not ... I might make a bare bones one just so we can move our posts over into there as soon as possible.

Last edited by Talon87; 04-19-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #4982
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'll leave it up to kasip if she wants to. I'm only modestly curious in the anime because the art is atrocious and I've already read most of the manga, though I've skimmed stuff from the festival on because it's so...weird to me. In an ironic, nominal twist, it reminds me a lot of how Ano Hana started off, without spoiling anything.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #4983
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'll leave it up to kasip if she wants to.
...uh, I'm not watching Aku no Hana the anime, just read the manga. ^^;; If you really are referring to me, no idea why I suddenly popped up in this conversation though...

Still watching Crime Edge for some odd reason. Even with episode 3
STARTING WITH FREAKING HENTAI-ESQUE CUTTING OF HAIR. That's actually what bothers me the most: stuff like cutting hair and injecting saline(?) into another person always include panting, moaning, blushing, biting of lip and licking of lips and other things. Don't believe me?

WATCH THIS BIT AND TRY TO TELL ME IT'S NOT TRYING REALLY HARD TO BE EROTIC.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #4984
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Of the three people involved in Aku no Hana thus far, you are the furthest and I'd assume a topic to be dedicated to both the manga and anime, since the manga is ongoing still.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #4985
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Creeped out by the Aku no Hana ED? Well let me help you with that!

Shows I'm actually watching regularly this season now:

-Shingeki no Kyoujin
-OreImo 2
-Warawanai Neko
-Chihayafuru 2
-Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru (I'll just say Love Comedy, okay?)
-Karneval
-Hataraku Maou-sama!
-Devil Survivor 2
-Crime Edge (I'm a masochist :3)

Those aren't in any particular order. Everything outside that list I'm either not watching, dropped after 1-2 episodes or am waiting on to have more episodes till I bother using it as background noise (PhotoKano, anyone?).
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #4986
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shame on you for linking a pitch shift.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #4987
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

OreImo's improved from what I've heard. Apparently, the main guy Kyosuke(?) was a lot cooler in the manga and seemed to have had alpha surgery during the offseason and got some swag grafted.

That said, I'm having a hard time acknowledging a second season is even possible, what with the pregnancy ends in the PSP acting as a more definitive conclusion for me.

Oh yeah, what's a 69 cm waist look like? BBB and I tried to take a part how that measures against "pant sizes" but I came up with nothing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #4988
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm not making the thread, but I'll post in it if someone does. I don't care for Aku no Hana enough, even though I'm following it. Still have to see episode three, too.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #4989
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Sadly I don't have time to write detailed posts, but I just saw episode 3 of Suisei no Gargantia and HNNNNG this show continues to be adorable and fun to watch. <3 (A little disappointed by one or two developments but I'll talk about that in the thread eventually.)

Anyway, what I came here to share was the lovely ED. It's by my homegirl Choucho (the one who sang Hyouka's OP, for those of you liked that):

BORKED

Very pleasant and relaxing. Can't wait for a full version. ^.^

OP's not bad either. Amazed it's by Minori Chihara though. o.o; Never heard her voice sound like this before.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #4990
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Suisei no Gargantia: The artist girl I follow? weee, who worked on Katawa Shoujo?

Quote:
wow gargantia is lame. why cant they just use his OP powers if they're going to kill the other fleet in the first place v:

I have no clue if that's a spoiler or not (having not watched any of it yet myself); erring on the safe side, I've decided to spoiler tag it. Regardless. I'm sharing it because weee and Yuki seem to have opposite tastes. Yuki? Likes Gargantia, meh to Shingeki no Kyojin. weee? Likes Shingeki no Kyojin, meh to Gargantia. And having not seen either series yet, I've no idea who is right! Though in times of doubt, I've gotta side with Yuki. Still though. I should check these out. But first ... more Winter 2013 backlogged finales.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #4991
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Suisei no Gargantia: The artist girl I follow? weee, who worked on Katawa Shoujo?

I have no clue if that's a spoiler or not (having not watched any of it yet myself); erring on the safe side, I've decided to spoiler tag it. Regardless. I'm sharing it because weee and Yuki seem to have opposite tastes. Yuki? Likes Gargantia, meh to Shingeki no Kyojin. weee? Likes Shingeki no Kyojin, meh to Gargantia. And having not seen either series yet, I've no idea who is right! Though in times of doubt, I've gotta side with Yuki. Still though. I should check these out. But first ... more Winter 2013 backlogged finales.
I admit that is one of the problems I have, though I'm hoping it'll be cleared up a bit better in the coming episodes. Besides, for me the main character interactions are goshdurn cute enough to make up for wishywashy morals. ^^; LEDO YOU POOR BABY YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT _____ ___ MEANS. *hugs* <3

Funny though you bring this up since I just got into an argument with kaisap over Gargantia vs. Shingeki no Kyojin earlier. XD So while I'm here, thoughts on episode 3 of Shingeki:

After all that drama, we get FORCED HUMOR WHOO~ The ending was admittedly pretty epic though, especially with that awesome rock song playing. Kinda surprised we didn't find out though...

...That the jealous jerk tampered with Eren's equipment. *shrug* They'll probably reveal it next episode, seemed pretty obvious.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #4992
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Oh yeah, what's a 69 cm waist look like? BBB and I tried to take a part how that measures against "pant sizes" but I came up with nothing.
You could just take measuring tape and make a circle with it to see for yourself. The bigger issue with that specific measurement in clothes sizes is that Japanese are of smaller build than westeners, but nevertheless a 27-inch-waist is around medium (M) size in the west, if I'm reading my charts right (also, there's bust and hip sizes that have to be taken into account with clothes). This image would suggest that and Asian 69 cm waist would make it a size 28 by European jeans standards, so a size 4 in American jeans standards. I only know that size 0 is anorectic and beyond, and size 6 was what the MC of The Devil Wears Prada was aiming for - so it's pretty small, right?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #4993
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Those sure don't look like birthing hips.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #4994
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Dra+Koi has been translated. Usually I would rather not touch something Nitro+, but this seems nice, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

New shows update!

Ore no Imouto S2
Oh look at this. A good episode. I was fully prepared to drop this. Saori's flashback was pretty good. I'm sure next week this show will go back to being annoying.

Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
I'm kind of growing fond of this show. The art's meh, and it's not really funny, but it's a pretty charming little show. It looks like I won't be dropping this afterall.

Shingeki no Kyojin
Episode 3 was meh. The main guy's getting on my nerves. He spends the entire episode going "I'm gonna kill them! I'M GONNA KILL THEM!" to everyone he possibly can. The results of the hanging test was stupid as well. I'm not going to drop this, but my expectations are low compared to what they were when I started.

Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Episode 2 of this wasn't bad. The fake ojousama thing is pretty nice, which I've only seen twice before. Hopefully the blonde's background doesn't go into stupid territory. So far I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. Also god DAMN the art is cute.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #4995
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched Episode 03 of Aku no Hana. I swear, the television series' presentation seems to be making a marginally twisted story so, SO much more twisted. Kudos to the animation staff if that's in line with the mangaka's own hopes for this adaptation.

Kind of a slow episode developments-wise, sadly, but just like with 01 and 02, I was rapt with attention throughout. Didn't want the episode to end, kept checking to see how much time was remaining.

Speculation:

It seems pretty clear that Nakamura likes Kasuga. She is a bit nuts, like with the library clothes-changing scene, but stuff like wanting the townspeople to see the two of them together or wanting Kasuga to smell her hands (lol weird) all seem to be pretty big signs that she wants people to mistake her for Kasuga's girlfriend, thus sabotaging his chances with Saeki, and that she wants Kasuga to fall out of love with Saeki and to fall in love with her.

I mean, it seems pretty obvious. I'm really not seeing where the supposedly dark stuff is going to come from, unless things go off the deep end and:

1 - Nakamura kills Saeki. She's a yandere.

2 - Saeki attempts to kill Nakamura. She's a yandere.

3 - Nakamura rapes Kasuga.

4 - Kasuga rapes Nakamura.

5 - Kasuga rapes Saeki.

If it's any of those, okay, fine, you guys calling the series "really dark" win. If it's none of those, then I have no clue what to expect.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #4996
deoxys
Fog Badge

Aku no Hana 3:

This show is just getting more and more ridiculous. Nakamura is crazy and basically made Kasuga her bitch because he's about the most beta kid ever who refuses to stand up for himself (yet ironically he stood up for her at the end).

I continue to be incredibly annoyed by the class reactions when something happens (someone stole someone's lunch money? Let's all gasp and start gossiping about it!) Jesus, that shit never happened like that in high school or middle school, is that a cultural thing? Or hell, some bitch at the end of class suggests Kasuga like Nakamura and THE WHOLE CLASS starts gossiping about it. Incredibly annoying.

Calling it now: Someone else was in the library when Kasuga shouted "she's my muse, my venus". In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Saeki, and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if she knew and liked Kasuga, which would lead to a showdown between her and Nakamura.

Anyway, I continue to not be very fond of this show because of how over exaggerated the whole thing seems to be for such petty drama, but I suppose it can be made somewhat believable by Nakamura's crazy bullshit.

Also, why was Nakamura holding The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch at the end?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #4997
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Aku no Hana 3:

This show is just getting more and more ridiculous. Nakamura is crazy and basically made Kasuga her bitch because he's about the most beta kid ever who refuses to stand up for himself (yet ironically he stood up for her at the end).

I continue to be incredibly annoyed by the class reactions when something happens (someone stole someone's lunch money? Let's all gasp and start gossiping about it!) Jesus, that shit never happened like that in high school or middle school, is that a cultural thing? Or hell, some bitch at the end of class suggests Kasuga like Nakamura and THE WHOLE CLASS starts gossiping about it. Incredibly annoying.

Calling it now: Someone else was in the library when Kasuga shouted "she's my muse, my venus". In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Saeki, and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if she knew and liked Kasuga, which would lead to a showdown between her and Nakamura.

Anyway, I continue to not be very fond of this show because of how over exaggerated the whole thing seems to be for such petty drama, but I suppose it can be made somewhat believable by Nakamura's crazy bullshit.

Also, why was Nakamura holding The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch at the end?
The classroom drama is, if all the live-action series and films I've watched are anything to go off of, very typical and realistic. Not a bit of it struck me as odd, out of place, or excessive.

I had the same exact thought as you about the library presence. Guess we'll find out in due time. I won't be surprised if the theory is wrong though: it doesn't really need to be right to still pursue that sort of conflict anyway.

No idea about Nakamura's book. Didn't even notice it. However, ...

I did notice Kasuga's -- "Science-Fiction Stories From Overseas" -- so the fact that Nakamura had a book by one of the leaders of foreign (to them) science fiction, Philip K. Dick, is probably yet another obvious nod that Nakamura likes Kasuga and/or is his stalker. (The whole sitting behind him thing, the whole spotting him with Saeki's gym uniform in the first place, the whole intercepting him on his wild bike ride home almost as if she knew the path he takes home and a shortcut to get there ... they're not exactly hiding it if this is indeed the direction we're going in.)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #4998
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
1 - Nakamura kills Saeki. She's a yandere.

2 - Saeki attempts to kill Nakamura. She's a yandere.

3 - Nakamura rapes Kasuga.

4 - Kasuga rapes Nakamura.

5 - Kasuga rapes Saeki.

If it's any of those, okay, fine, you guys calling the series "really dark" win. If it's none of those, then I have no clue what to expect.
For manga readers only!:

Hahaha, kasip. Talon picked every possibility except the right one. I wonder what he'll think when it actually goes down?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #4999
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
For manga readers only!:

Hahaha, kasip. Talon picked every possibility except the right one. I wonder what he'll think when it actually goes down?
It's still kaisap, you guys. ;n;

Aku no Hana manga readers only:
I honestly hope the anime will include the "I DON'T UNDERSTAND BAUDELAIRE, I JUST WANT TO FEEL COOL, BUT PLEASE IGNORE ME BITCHING ABOUT 'NO ONE ELSE' UNDERSTANDING BAUDELAIRE FOR THE ENTIRE SERIES SO FAR" scene. Kasuga is the most pathetic male in existence - and with Shinji Ikari having held the post for so long, it's an extreme level of pathetic by definition.

It actually makes me sad that Saeki's obsession with a guy like him is pretty much her downfall. But love is blind, I guess.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #5000
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm feeling very left out. >_> You guys can't offer a non-manga readers (i.e. a non-spoiler) version of the same response to MY POST!? -_-;

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime