UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #7376
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I think Classicaloid's interpretation of Tchai-ko is a bit off mark.

In the anime, she's portrayed as wanting to go back to being a bearded, vodka-swelling old man. The real Tchaikovsky was gay, so I don't think it's a stretch to say he might not be too peeved at being a little girl!

I'm hoping Tchai-ko's Musick turns out to be March Slav.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #7377
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Classicaloid

OK, I've finished this one.

I'm not sure if, by agreeing with BBB that this is a mediocre show, if I'm doing the right thing. Should I lie and call it the best show ever, which would lead him to question my sanity (or perhaps, question himself)? I opted for the truth instead.

It's poorly written. There's very little depth given to the characters, that depth is often contradictory, and the direction is chaotic.

For example, for the first 8 episodes, Beethoven has this bizarre fixation with gyoza. He drops it by Episode 9 and it's not mentioned again. I swear. I suspect BBB would hate this kind of change most of all, because it's sudden and unexplained. Saiaku.

A tale of two halves, perhaps? I felt like several of the post-Episode 8 episodes, which feature modern-day plot-lines taken from the lives of the composers, was at odds to the random, Japanese-esque humour and plot from the first 60%.

The finale was kind of an apology for the rest of the series, exposing a vague and disjointed philosophy I can see appealing to NEETs and otaku typical of the modern Japanese audience. What it basically amounts to is encouraging them to be NEETS - if you want to earn money, you have to be a slave to society and not do what you want. If you want the freedom to be yourself, you basically have no power or ability. There's no opportunity for middle ground.

Should I give it a rating...well, the girls were cute. I'll give it that. Poor.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 AM   #7378
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Through Volume 07 of School Rumble now. Loving every minute of it.

The manga continues to be a treat. And when I compare it directly against the anime, I am sometimes pleasantly surprised by just how much more detailed the manga is. The anime, for the sake of time, has had to trim a lot of the "excess fat" off of the dialogue to make seven volumes fit inside of 26 episodes. But the consequence of this trimming has been, a lot of dialogue text from the manga finds itself either reduced from 2+ lines to just one or else cut out entirely. To the anime's credit, it's never the sort of stuff that would cost a viewer understanding of what is going on. Nor is it ever anything that would have heavy, foundational consequences for how he perceives a given character. But to say it doesn't affect perception at all, well ... that's not quite right. Because I've found that a lot of the little things in the manga that don't quite make the TV show cut, they help to (further) flesh out our characters.

Spoiler: show

All my love.

Volume 06 definitely belongs to Eri (and the S.S. HariEri). Has always been one of my favorite story arcs of the entire series. Perhaps my No.1 favorite story arc, I don't know. It's quite good. I love it dearly.

Volume 07, on the other hand, clearly belongs to Yakumo. It's where the S.S. HariYaku really starts to set sail, though earlier chapters certainly do their work to get the boat ready for adventure on the high seas.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #7379
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yamato nadeshiko > exotic foreigner

Of course, no Japanese author would agree with this. The half-white blonde (or white-haired) girl always wins. Even if he wrote a more compelling story for the yamato nadeshiko.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #7380
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Yamato nadeshiko > exotic foreigner
Shy waifu > Abusive bitch tsundere *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #7381
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Currently about halfway through Volume 10 of School Rumble. With the exception of only one volume (and, incidentally, one story arc), I've been loving every second of this. I don't know how the manga ends, I don't know how badly it self-destructs if at all, but goddammit -- I don't care what anyone says: Kobayashi Jin has produced something excellent here. If it's not fair to call him a "great mangaka," given his lack of later works that could match up to School Rumble's heights, then at the very least it's fair to call him "a mangaka who produced something great," even if it doesn't end great, given the general vibe I get from friends and the fog of the Internet.

Yakumo is super adorable. I absolutely adore her. Her times with Harima and/or Eri are always good. My only complaint right now is, neither Harima nor Yakumo have any romantic feelings for one another yet despite so many reasons for one or the other to have them. Eeeeeeeeeeveryone else thinks she likes him -- even Harima seems like he's starting to think so -- but whenever people bring it up Yakumo KEEPS STATING, "No, you're wrong" / "No, it's not like that" / "No, you've got it all wrong" / "No, this is ..." And like ... the way she does it, it's not like a girl in love who is shy and doesn't want people to know who she likes. (Because this is what Eri does.) She does it in the manner and fashion of someone who 100% really doesn't like the guy like that, really does just see him as only a friend. And it's like ... *frustration!* Because she's so darn cute with him. And even if I'm on Team Eri, it's not like I'm opposed to Yakumo winding up with Harima either. It's therefore irritating to have so much progress with my chosen girl, Eri, who has pretty much admitted to herself at this point that she likes Harima and who has pretty much been figured out by everyone else at school ... but then with Yakumo, we have like no progress, we still just have Yakumo seeing Harima as a friend and Harima seeing Yakumo as a friend even though ...

... Y'know something ... Maybe that's the point. Maybe the point here is to show a different route to a relationship. Rather than going in heart first with the crush and the initial attraction (Eri x Harima), you go in with them starting off as pure, platonic friends but then over time they find that they matter more to one another than as simple friends (like what you see in Toradora!, which I can't go two months without mentioning as being one of the best anime romcoms ever made).

I dunno. Point is, Yakumo's super cute and I really want to see where her relationship with Harima goes from here.

... Even if I am still firmly on Team Eri and y'all are a bunch o' haters.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #7382
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've been watching Mitsudomoe season two lately!

I think Mitsudomoe constitutes one of those shows that are so sinful to enjoy. Something like watching the snot being kicked out of puppies and other cute animals. Some part of you savors it...the evil, rotten part you actually hate, but it's a deep sadism that everyone has on some fundamental level, even if they don't care to admit they possess it.

I didn't really enjoy season 1, which I saw last year. The blatant loli fanservice and overt pedophilia was too powerful and offended my sensibilities. As "evil" as I might style myself, I was not evil enough to get the most of that season.

Season 2 has thankfully rolled the extremes back a bit, making episodes easier to swallow whole rather than chew in pieces. While season 1 of Mitsudomoe might be classified as "pedophilia paradise" season 2 is something less than, say, Lotte no Omocha!, just a little worse than the fake-loli show Lucky Star.

As a result, I've finished about four episodes with my sanity intact.

Would recommend? Yes...if you could survive the first season, which is no small task. Mitsudomoe season 1 is a hill most viewers would die on.

Bad news for Overlord fans, while the movies will be coming out this month (and February), I have confirmed that Volume 12 won't come out until August 2017.

Horrible! There's no excuse for that, the volume better be a freaking 1000+ page Bible to make up for that wait.

Also this month: probably one of the biggest events in anime/manga history, no exaggeration. I don't want to spoil things much, except by saying that it's happening in Berserk. So all you Berserkies (I know BPK, Loki) better catch up soon.

Will anyone be watching Shingeki no Kyojin season 2? I ask because in the last 2 years, more like especially the last year, SnK has risen in esteem with me to the point I intend to watch the second season entire. The first season ended fun but not great, and a lot of folks were disappointed with it, but any disappointment has been more or less erased by the big reveals in the manga.

SnK's connection to Muv-Luv Alternative has also been made explicitly clear, which has given me some degree of peace.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #7383
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm through Volume 12 of School Rumble now. Nearing the end of what was covered by Season 2 of the television show. Currently in the middle of a story arc, one involving two characters wearing pale jade workers' uniforms.

There's a roughly one-volume stretch there (most of 10, first few chapters of 11) that has nearly no Eri and very little meaningful Yakumo. Aaaaaaand it's a pretty dry stretch. ^^; Jin decides to introduce a new character, as well as give a ton of the background characters some screen time. But it's like ... nooo. ^^; This isn't what I'm here to read. I dunno. It's not bad, but it's a definite ebb in the series' overall entertainment. Not an ebb in its quality. An ebb in how entertained I was. Because I'm super here for Harima-Eri and Harima-Yakumo, and this stretch has pretty much nothing for either of those two love plots. I still enjoyed Jin's stories. It's still School Rumble.

Then things kinda rebound in the middle of Volume 11 and ramp up in Volume 12. There's a crapton of wonderful time spent together between Harima and Yakumo, and then things end with a Harima-Eri bang that hasn't been felt on this scale since the athletic festival. It's quite nice.

Harima sends Eri some pretty strong "I'm not interested" signals in Volume 11, and you've gotta feel for the Ojou. As badly as Tenma breaks Harima's heart, Harima breaks Eri's. And just like Harima, who won't give up on Tenma, Eri ...

So Eri's parents have arranged a marriage for her. She doesn't want to marry the guy. But (unstated) in light of the fact that the only man she does love doesn't want her, she doesn't really have much reason to say "no." Or so she tries to tell herself, anyway. In truth, she's a bit of a coward here. While she does run away from home (because she doesn't want to get married to this guy, because amongst other reasons she does still love Harima), she also seems strangely resigned to having to quit playing games like this and having to go through with the arranged marriage after all.

I had forgotten this, but it's during this story arc that Harima finally learns the truth about how Ojou feels about him. Sadly, he doesn't learn it from her own lips -- he learns it from Mikoto, who tries to tease it out of Eri in a comedic scene at the dojo's bath. (Mikoto is outside, Harima is inside, Eri is inside, and Eri has mistaken Harima for Mikoto. At one point during this, Mikoto calls through the barred window, "So Eri -- have you confessed to Harima yet?") Sadly, Eri continues to be super tsun here and denies any interest in "that idiot," which naturally throws our lovable idiot off the scent completely. Sigh. :') But the seed is still planted here. He can't say he doesn't know of the possibility that Ojou likes him.

Eri doesn't recognize Harima during any of this. He's not wearing his glasses, he's in a worker's uniform, and he keeps trying to shield his face so she can't look at it for too long. What sort of seems to end up happening is, Eri starts to find herself falling for this guy, not knowing he's already the guy she's in love with. Make of this what you will. But what everyone's sure to agree on here is, the two have great chemistry. As drawn by Jin, Eri and Harima share some really great moments during this story arc. One of the best parts, pictured above, is when Harima helps Eri to bring clothes out of the rain. This is the second time he's done this for her -- a small gesture that results in trying to get her out of the rain -- and it's the second time she's enamored by it. It's the sort of thing that makes me, as a reader, go, "I can't wait for when she discovers that this has been Harima all along, that her 2nd knight in shining armor is none other than her original knight in shining armor."
Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 AM   #7384
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's too much beating around the bush for me. I do know that Jin stretched out SR's resolution beyond what was reasonable - it's already a stretch at Volume 12, when there's 23 total volumes - but I don't think the modern me could stomach that much indecision.

I recently read a quite painful manga on EX-Hentai. I won't spoil the ending, but basically what happened is this guy and his sempai have a lot of chemistry together in high school. She likes him a lot, and he likes her a lot. But they never take the next step.

They reunite a decade later in a bar. They're both still single. One of the guy's friends outright tells her, "Oh, did you know this guy had a huge crush on you". They end up in a hotel, too drunk to go home, and she tells him "That was a huge waste...since I started college I've slept with more men than there are stars in the sky. I wouldn't have done that if you just said something. ".

Rage!

JUST FREAKING SAY SOMETHING IDIOTS.

gawd
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #7385
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

New shows have been sampled. There's a surprisingly high amount of moe shows in the list.

Demi-chan wa Kataritai
This is kind of entertaining. The main guy being a middle-aged teacher dude surrounded by girls is kind of weird. Maybe it won't turn creepy. This seems to be more about how to interact with and accept different races than anything. I don't see this going bad, but I also don't see it turning great.

Gabriel DropOut
So this is Oota Masahiko's new show, eh? Atleast I know this will be a good adaptation. For the humor itself, the show is mildly amusing. It doesn't turn really funny until Raphiel shows up, which isn't until the last 5 minutes of the episode. The premise is neat, but if the humor revolves around the same old "Angels not acting like angels and demons not acting like demons" shtick, then this will get old really quickly. It's kind of a shame that Masahiko's titles these past few years have been almost nothing but flops. Umaru is the only hit I can recall.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
This show on the other hand is really funny. The main girl being this drunkard office worker with an obsession with maids is awesome. Not to mention the over-the-top shit the dragon does. It's a recipe for hilarity. I hope, hope, HOPE this doesn't turn old. So far my favorite show of the season, but we're only one episode in.

Little Witch Academia
Well this is a relief. I admittedly didn't watch the second special, so I was afraid I would miss out on something if I watched this. Thankfully you don't need to watch it or the first short to get this. The first episode was the same fun you get from the short. The animation quality is a bit lower, but since this is a 25 episode series, it's understandable.

Masamune-kun no Revenge
OH SHIT! IT'S BUFF KIRITO! ALL HAIL MASAMUNE-KUN! Yup, main guy looks exactly like Kirito, and even has the same VA. I tried to not get distracted with this, but it's difficult not to. The introduction is good enough, but I won't be able to much tell how good this show will be until things actually play out. This show can go either way. It can be a really interesting and entertaining show, or a cringe-worthy shitfest. I wish with all my might that this show doesn't go the obvious route and make the main guy fall in love with the bitch he's trying to get revenge on. I think main girl needs to be hit with a strong dose of Karma. If they end up making her a victim after the way she treats guys and her best friend, I'm going to fucking vomit.

It sucks Granblue was pushed back to April, but eh, what can you do?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #7386
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki

AHAHAHAHAHA!!

I was baited. Baited like a skipjack tuna.

The bait was comparison with Overlord. At a very basic level, the premises are similar. There were crossover images and a crossover event involving the CVs. The production stills promised high quality art. It was intriguing.

The final product is awful beyond all means.

I mean, it still looks good. The story is set in alternative Weimar Germany, 1924, assuming Nazism took hold during World War I and took hold heading into the Weimar Era instead of as a direct response to it. The uniforms are crisp, the battlegrounds feel authentic. It's like I'm watching a more realistic version of Fullmetal Alchemist, like the Conqueror of Shambala's real-world segments over an entire show.

For about a minute and a half, I was excited.

Then, I got this.

Lolis with big eyes, and iron-sighted rifles, bouncing in the air on levitating roller-skates.

Having endeared the viewer to the girl's cuteness, the show decides to talk politics.

We then proceed to a military room where Germany's ambitions to conquer Europe are laid bare. Sounds like a history lesson.

But the plan seems a little off.

"Fatherland"'s solution to solving the whole "landlocked and surrounded by enemies" problem is to declare war on all the other countries at once. But that's okay! Because their military is blitzkreig enabled, meaning they can travel...

I shouldn't have to explain how thoroughly retarded this is. This is behaviour not undertaken by even the most primitive civilizations in human history. Even a student writing his/her high school history midterm, while high on meth, wouldn't advocate that opening a five-front war at once and moving your single army from one front to the other is intelligent.

In spite of this idiotic bravado, the show marches forward and flashes its intelligence credentials. Surely the plan you heard only sounds moronic because you only have an understanding of technology from the real world. But perhaps in Youjo Senki there exists tech that makes a five-front war economically and politically genius!

Wait, wha-? Ships and trains? That doesn't sound like the Star Destroyers and Battlestar Galacticas necessary to pull off an all-front defense like this.

And they said rails, so we're not talking levitating trains.

Oh dear, the Western areas. Clearly, the Western front was of critical importance to the war effort, how on Earth could we have left ourselves open to such a vulnerability?

Was there a flaw in our brilliant plan?

In World War II, Germany invaded Poland and conquered it in under a month during fall 1939. Then winter set in and the German advanced was slowed, but they assaulted France in May and conquered it by mid-June. In World War I, it took a month to merely get to France before the trench warfare stalemate set in.

Youjo Senki combines Nazi Germany's aggression with the infrastructure left over from World War I. It expects the viewers to believe that its border patrol is capable enough to stop the main armies of five different countries while its main army goes door-to-door to stop them.

I was going to watch the rest of this, but my head hurts. All I can think about is this post I saw on the chans, not so subtlely hinted at in my caption from earlier:

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 01-17-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: how the west was won
Old 01-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #7387
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki

As expected, this anime is terrible. I will be dropping it after Episode 02, because it simply is not entertaining. It is bland action with dumb concepts (magic in World War I...really) and maximum edge.

The show does piss me off though because it's a firm reminder of how screwed up, and backward, Japanese economics for LN adaptions go. The idea is the more popular the VN, the inverse the quality of the anime - the reason being that the anime's purpose for LN serves as pure promotion material and isn't intended by Kadokawa (the primary source of funding) to stand on its own ground. So there's little reason to invest heavily in an already popular series, let alone give those series multiple seasons.

Studios on their own generally don't have the funds to invest in a show, and it's hard to form a production committee without the cooperation of Kadokawa. The show basically needs to be a super blockbuster on a normal budget to get the studio to pursue a second season on its own, and often times the studio is swapped to a cheaper one by Kadokawa as a cost-saving measure. See: Log Horizon.

Barring that, the show could be extremely cheap and so have high profit margins, which prompts a second season. See: Konosuba. Konosuba's case was it was a surprisingly huge fish dropped in a small pond (a weak anime season), and it ended up launching the careers of several CVs. A confluence of several factors that lead to an immediate second season with the same studio, albeit with a similarly shoestring budget.

Youjo Senki has a very high budget. Visually it's on par with One Punch Man. It is almost certainly more expensive than OPM however because animators donated their work hours to make OPM great. So, it infuriates me that a show with material this awful gets dressed up in imperial robes, while Overlord with an average budget and ho-hum sales basically got the Emperor's New Clothes treatment.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #7388
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki

Arrrggghhhh...I am so tsundere for this title.

It is indeed stupid, and poorly written in a lot of places. But the rest of the production carries it so strongly, and Episode 02 was enough of a pick-up that I didn't drop the series right away. Episode 03 has been more of the same, in spite of some disappointment that the supernatural element hasn't really left the series.

Ultimately I don't know what to think of this title. I guess I have to keep watching?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 AM   #7389
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I totally forgot to post about:

Overlord
I didn't really want to watch this because it seemed like it would be stupidly edgy. The OP told me I was right, but everything else told me I was slightly off. There's still mindless carnage, but it's nowhere near as bad as I imagined. From start to finish, the show was just okay to me. I was still interested in what was going on, but I didn't really feel anything. If I were to mention one thing, it's interesting how I was wanting some of the main characters to lose. It wasn't because I disliked them, but because they were so villainous. If this show gets a second season, I'll certainly watch to see how things play out, but I'm not super interested in it. Overlord gets a 6 with me.

Now we have new shows!

Demi-chan wa Kataritai
This is a surprisingly entertaining show. It's not super funny, and they took a direction with the teacher that I was afraid of, but I still like it. I can't really explain why, but I enjoy watching the characters interact with each other. I guess it's because it feels natural?

Gabriel DropOut
Has Masahiko lost his touch, or are they just giving him bad titles? This show is just so dull. The humor is really forced as well. When the coffee shop owner said "This girl is an angel!" about the demon, I groaned so fucking hard. I groaned even harder they felt the need to explain the joke by saying "SHE'S REALLY A DEMON!". HOW HILARIOUS! IT'S THE SAME SHIT I FEARED WHEN SHE SHOW STARTED! Gabriel is still an interesting character, and Raphiel pulls some amusing shit, so I atleast have something to watch the show for.

Granblue Fantasy
Oh that fucking Empire! Doing evil experiments on adorable little girls! They keep killing off your corrupt hides only for you to endlessly spring fourth in other titles! It's a stereotype I'm beginning to get irritated with. Ahem! If I were to describe the first two episodes of Granblue Fantasy in one word, that word would be "generic". Every damn bit of the first two episodes was a huge dull case of "been there, done that". Except this time, there's no awesome gameplay or characters (yet)! I'm holding onto the hope that things will improve as the cast increases. Maybe Purple McHorntits will save this currently generic show!

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
Episodes 2 and 3 weren't as funny as episode 1, but I still enjoyed them. Atleast dragon girl still insists on killing those who refuse to learn. I'm still waiting on fish tail to show up.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! S2
Well atleast this is still awesome. I spent most of episode 1 and 2 laughing, so that's always a plus. Megumin was so awesome in episode 2. She was definitely the star of that episode. For episode 1, I guess Aqua's ass was the star?

Masamune-kun no Revenge
I watched episode 2 and thought to myself "I don't like this show.". Then I watched episode 3 and thought "I REALLY don't like this fucking show!". Main guy seemed like he would be interesting to watch, since they made it out like he was good at wooing people. Sadly he's just a fucking idiot. Same protagonist you get in any other harem. Walks in on girls as they change and gets clobbered. Atleast Kazuma will hit the girl back! What a fucking letdown.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #7390
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait I thought Granblue Fantasy wasn't airing until Spring 2017?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 AM   #7391
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

That's what I thought, but two episodes suddenly popped up.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #7392
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I watched Konosuba.

Boy that felt good.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #7393
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Konosuba makes life better.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #7394
Connor
Flashbacker

Konosuba is legitimately excellent.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:17 AM   #7395
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #7396
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Youjo Senki 04

I don't know where this show is going (well, aside from World War I) but I can't stop goosestepping!

Please don't lose Germany!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #7397
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So after watching Genesis of Aquarion years ago, I bought the sequel on sale like last week and started watching it. I'm a couple of episodes so far, so here are some thoughts.

Aquarion Evol:

This is a weird anime. A mish mash of GIANT ROBOTS sci fi and shonen harem it should be super generic and probably trash, it doesn't even have as much of magical orgasm powers as the first series had. But somehow, it manages to make itself stand out, it doesn't feel like I'm watching a derivative piece of work.

I think a part of it is that it actually feels like the writers actually care about the characters, it doesn't feel like they are going through the motions. Or maybe it's just because they are using GIANT ROBOTS as a very unsubtle metaphor for puberty, which I am sorta a sucker for. Or maybe its just so stupid that I love it ala Date a Live. Nevertheless, it has managed to suck me in just like the first series did.

Also omg I friggin love the OP.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #7398
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So how is it different from Aquarion the original?

A fun fact. I watched the original Aquarion because a novel done by Kinoko Nasu, Canaan, was based off of the Sousei no Aquarion anime. I didn't even watch the Canaan anime proper, I just watched Aquarion so when I ever did watch Canaan I would "get it".

THAT SAID, I know the spoilers for Evol. I HATE THEM! You will too, I bet. It really pissed me off!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #7399
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kimi no Na wa

Yes, I watched it. The film that will surpass Titanic at the Japanese box office, as the second highest grossing film there of all time. Spirited Away might be out of reach, but it's still a massive accomplishment.

Now, this movie doesn't go on DVD/Blu-Ray until November, so I watched a 720p hardcode that appeared on Nyaa. 720p is what I normally watch shows in anyway, so I figured it would still look good and I don't care about hardsubs.

Although this is the best film cut, don't watch this, as the 720p almost feels like an upscale. The art quality is heavily degraded like watching a 480p YouTube video, on a tablet. The audio complaints were exaggerated.

So, does Kimi no Na wa match the hype? Well, depends on what "hype" means. Some people say the story is OK, the visuals are good, the emotion is good, etc. Miyazaki-like even.

It was cute, fun, pure and easy to digest. It took me only 2 days to finish; something really hard to read like Onani Master Kurosawa is going to take me 20 years to finish, so you know it's light on the melodrama.

I need to note that this movie is "pure", in the same way that Hikaru no Go is romanticized. That's what makes the relationship so likeable in this story. It's Disney-like, but we all want to believe.

Kimi no Na wa is roughly divided into four parts, with four climaxes to each part. Because of this, the film felt like a compilation anime, something you'd expect to see over 13 episodes compressed into a film. That's not good.

I thought the film was NOT a Miyazaki film, and felt it was a Shinkai film. I can sort of see why people think it's Miyazaki-like, but I don't feel ready to crown Shinkai the new Miyazaki after this story.

Now comes the hammer, sorry. I will say that pretty much everyone on this forum has too high a power level to be moved to tears by this story. The plot, and all its developments, are things we've all seen before en masse. It is so common, it detracts from the story. In fact, there was an anime released just last year which pretty much stole Kimi no Na wa's thunder. You guys will know what I'm talking about if you decide to watch this.

Of the four "parts", I would say the fourth part was the best, really. It introduced a real, if immaterial antagonist, and was elevating the pressure of the story in a moving way. This part carried the strongest drama of the film.

Overall? Tepid recommendation for folks of the forum. You've been down this road before, but the hype alone might get you to watch it. I christen Kimi no Na wa a Good anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #7400
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, I am waiting for a good video before I watch it. I have high hopes for it, but we'll see.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime