I like gin and tonic. A LOT BRO
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Alcohol discussion? Outside MY TO?

It's more likely than you'd think.

Ale over here. Proper beer all the way. I'll tolerate IPA/American/European beer, but won't touch lager with a barge-pole because ew chemicals.

As for spirits, I take Scotch, either on the rocks or with lemonade. That's pretty much it.

Shut up I'm not even 25 yet ;;
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Dave I love you man. Don't say it enough.

What ales would you recommend?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Love you too bro <3

Depends what you're after. Classic, dark-bodied strong ale? Can't go wrong with either Hobgoblin (I love that bit about Obama) or Old Thumper, two of my favourites, but given you're across the pond you'd be hard-pressed to get that.

I like Sam Adams, if that helps. Usually have a few cans whenever I'm in the States. Can't think of any other American beers I like off the top of my head.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Surprisingly, I like Vodka/Red Bulls even though I dislike both Vodka and Red Bull alone.

Blue Moon is my favorite beer. Which is also weird because I don't particularly care for oranges, but I like them in my beer. Sam Adam's Summer Ale is also really good, but the seasonal part kind of sucks.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

I actually don't drink often. When I do it's either because I'm at a bar/restaurant with a friend or I'm trying to get drunk. Which isn't hardly ever, honestly.

I'm not at all in the know when it comes to drinks. I don't even know how to order one really. I usually look at the menu or specials and say to myself "that sounds interesting" or "that has a snazzy name, let's go with that". Which turns out is only stupid half of the time.

I don't really like beer though. I've had a good handful of different beers at this point, mostly the household names and I don't like most of them. I can drink Guinness and Dos Equis and that's about it, I actually enjoy their texture and the way they taste. Sam Adams is okay sometimes, too. Their seasonal stuff is okay but I believe it was their Autumn one I thought was gross.

I had cider a few times and I really enjoyed that. Oh and uh, Mikes Hard and Smirnoff? I'm really casual if you can't tell.

And of course, we all grew up going out to restaurants and looking at the fancy girly drinks and thinking "man that looks tasty" right? Well... I may or may not have gone to Applebees once and ordered the "Bahama Mama" and had a huge vat of pink drink that smelled like rotting bananas and caught the attention of two nearby tables of college students trying not to laugh.

...I .... yeah. I'm really bad at alcohol.

Oh, you know what's really gross? Kahlua. I wanted to try that for so long. When I finally did I could hardly drink it. Shit is just nasty.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

On the subject of fancy multicoloured drinks, I present to you this pub which is like four miles from my house.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Love you too bro <3

Depends what you're after. Classic, dark-bodied strong ale? Can't go wrong with either Hobgoblin (I love that bit about Obama) or Old Thumper, two of my favourites, but given you're across the pond you'd be hard-pressed to get that.

I like Sam Adams, if that helps. Usually have a few cans whenever I'm in the States. Can't think of any other American beers I like off the top of my head.
I like Sam Adams, too! And I'm not sure I've seen any of those around here.... ;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Surprisingly, I like Vodka/Red Bulls even though I dislike both Vodka and Red Bull alone.

Blue Moon is my favorite beer. Which is also weird because I don't particularly care for oranges, but I like them in my beer. Sam Adam's Summer Ale is also really good, but the seasonal part kind of sucks.
Blue Moon is really good! It was the first beer I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I actually don't drink often. When I do it's either because I'm at a bar/restaurant with a friend or I'm trying to get drunk. Which isn't hardly ever, honestly.

I'm not at all in the know when it comes to drinks. I don't even know how to order one really. I usually look at the menu or specials and say to myself "that sounds interesting" or "that has a snazzy name, let's go with that". Which turns out is only stupid half of the time.

I don't really like beer though. I've had a good handful of different beers at this point, mostly the household names and I don't like most of them. I can drink Guinness and Dos Equis and that's about it, I actually enjoy their texture and the way they taste. Sam Adams is okay sometimes, too. Their seasonal stuff is okay but I believe it was their Autumn one I thought was gross.

I had cider a few times and I really enjoyed that. Oh and uh, Mikes Hard and Smirnoff? I'm really casual if you can't tell.

And of course, we all grew up going out to restaurants and looking at the fancy girly drinks and thinking "man that looks tasty" right? Well... I may or may not have gone to Applebees once and ordered the "Bahama Mama" and had a huge vat of pink drink that smelled like rotting bananas and caught the attention of two nearby tables of college students trying not to laugh.

...I .... yeah. I'm really bad at alcohol.

Oh, you know what's really gross? Kahlua. I wanted to try that for so long. When I finally did I could hardly drink it. Shit is just nasty.
Bro I don't drink often either HENCE THIS THREAD. Guinness is sexy. Never had a girly drink actually, besides those fruit beer things!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Loki

I always thought Kahlua tasted like chocolate or coffee. Although, I usually take it in a White Russian, which tastes like alcoholic chocolate milk. Also Dirty Girlscouts, which also tastes like chocolate mint alcohol.

I didn't like alcohol when I was younger, but I also know I'm really shy or anti-social sometimes so I drink a bit to loosen up. So when I decided on that, I kind of drank a bunch of different drinks in a night and figured out which one I liked. Now I kind of know what I like and don't like.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Alcoholism runs in my family, so I don't drink often. In fact, I've had a Mormon friend at every level of my education and they've had a big influence on me as a teetotaller. I'm not anymore, but I'm still pretty light on the alcohol.

I don't like red wine. I especially hate room temp wine, and this is sad because it's the most health beneficial of the alcohols. I cook with white wine when I can and it's delicious on meat.

I like beer, especially ale. Loki's example of Blue Moon is a good one, but by far the best common ale I've had is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's brewed in my birth town of Chico and is amazing.

I think Yuengling is pretty good too. Coors/Budweiser/Miller/Corona sucks. I don't like high alcohol content stuff, tried drinking rum and didn't care for it, tried Jagermeister and didn't care for it.

Heineken is the worst. It's my sister's favourite and it's repulsive. Like alcoholic Sprite.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Mercutio
Banned

With Dave on all things, excepting whiskey with lemonade. That's odd.

Cider of all kinds, particularly real cider as opposed to carbonated fake, but I'll only drink pear cider if it doesn't taste like pears. Real scrumpy is great but it makes me do things. Aspall is great sharp cider from my home area but only on tap. Bottled Aspall is the devil.

All wines except for dry whites. I'm a sucker for rosé which is a shame as that is the wine useless for all culinary science. Beef in red os great. But then also beef with ale.

As for spirits, single malt whiskey, bourbon, gin and tonic are my usuals. I can tolerate vodka but my stomach disapproves. Not a fan of rum based drinks. White over black Russians. Various ridiculous cocktails and pitchers, many of which I have been taught to make but no longer remember.

Snakebite, but only in he Midlands. Nowhere else can make it right. Has to be Magners and a decent lager (difficult as lager is a girl drink).
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Sneaze
Mrow?

I'm a whiskey man myself, I love me a good glass at the end of a long day. If I'm not feeling like whiskey and want to drink something out of a bottle, stout is my drink of choice, with my current favorite going to Dragon's Milk due to being both delicious and making me feel very nerdy at the same time.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
I don't drink very often at all, and when I do it's almost always either Vodka or one of an extremely few specific brands of beer. "Brown" liquors almost give me a hangover, even when I only get buzzed. I can drink a shitload of Vodka and wake up feeling fine. Dark/brown liquors tend to taste terrible to me as well, especially Bourbon Whiskey. YUCK. When I do drink, it's almost always with Chaos. Drinking doesn't thrill me very much; even less so when I am drinking alone. It's not an especially pleasing sensation, and it's way too easy to take that one tiny step into dysphoria.

I much prefer marijuana. Right now I have some dank-ass Chronic. Gives me a nice relaxing body buzz, turns down the volume on my internal monologue, and makes music sound expansive and awesome. And the best part is that it's impossible to overdose. Even smoking "too much" will only make you fall asleep.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Mercutio
Banned

But weed makes you go crazy and is terrible for you and WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
It's true; I've killed so many people during marijuana-induced psychosis I can't even count them.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

My friend injected two whole Marihuanas once, he's in a coma, stuff should be destroyed but Alcohol and Smoking is okay

Joking aside, I do love me some alcohol. I'm not a big drinker because I get the most awful hangovers, but my drink is normally a Rum/Vodka and Ginger Beer/Coke. Partly because its nice and partly because you get it smaller than you do a pint, so I drink quicker, and get drunk faster, and spend less money getting more drunk. I also love Baileys because I'm a huge pansy.

I can't stand Cider normally, but there's a brand called Rekorderlig that does the most amazing flavours of cider. Probably the best drink I've ever had.

But either way I'm more of a weed smoker myself, but I'm past the phase of trying to tell people that my opinion on the matter has more value than somebody else's. Darn internet stoners.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Mercutio
Banned

Do people find that different alcohol affects them differently?

I find that the only drink that will give me any any kind of head based hangover is cider. Nothing else will do it. Gin basically doesn't affect my ability to think and act, so while I would never drive or do anything else like that on a bottle of gin I'd be confident in holding intelligent conversation I'd not regret in the morning. Jager gives me the most appalling stomach, especially if in the form of a bomb(s).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Sneaze
Mrow?

Oddly enough cider is also the only thing that gives me a hangover. Though as for things that I can stay coherent on I have no problem holding intelligent conversations with plenty of whiskey or rum in my system, though rum causes me to slur much more quickly than whiskey does. Vodka turns me into a complete asshole, so I don't really drink it anymore, and if I do it'll only be a couple shots if I'm experimenting with making incredibly strange mixed drinks, since you can find vodka in every flavor under the sun.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Do people find that different alcohol affects them differently?

I find that the only drink that will give me any any kind of head based hangover is cider. Nothing else will do it. Gin basically doesn't affect my ability to think and act, so while I would never drive or do anything else like that on a bottle of gin I'd be confident in holding intelligent conversation I'd not regret in the morning. Jager gives me the most appalling stomach, especially if in the form of a bomb(s).
So, whenever I drink beer I'll never be sick if I drink too much. Any time i've drunk more than my limit I'll pass out rather than chunder and pay for it the morning after. Whenever I drink anything else and go past my limit, I'll chunder and be able to drink more afterwards. Especially spirits.

I'm 18 overdoing it is natural at my age and thats my excuse
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Learned new slang! Chunder = vomiting

Bourbon makes me really really uninhibited. It's bad.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Loki

I've been drunk. I've been fun drunk. And I've been Tequila drunk, which to me means I'm a total jackass. Like, a shot or two and I'll become Reed and everyone is my Talon87.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
Sneaze
Mrow?

I'm pretty sure that tequila does that to everyone, save for those who are already Reed, which it either turns them into teddy bears or the rare and highly dangerous Super Reed.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
Loki

Actually, some of my friends get weepy and emotional. So it's kind of bad that I'm a jackass while they're in they're in that state.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've never been drunk, I think. I'm terrified of the toxicity (same reason I don't go nuts eating tuna) but even when I've had several bottles of alcohol, it doesn't lower my inebriation or anything.

I have a super control-oriented personality and dislike losing it, so it's easier for me to control myself when my cognition is impaired because I hate relinquishing command.

For that same reason, plus health reasons, I don't touch drugs. It's very likely that if I took acid, I'd immediately have a very, very bad trip.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
Loki

Sounds stressful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc