UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Because UPN doesn't have enough of these crazy challenge things.

Anyway, this is something I recently discovered on Pokecommunity. You all know monotype challenges, right? Going through the game with only one type of pokemon? That's what I thought. In any case, this thread is for those. BUT. It's also for ULTIMATE Monotype Challenges. What are those? Simple, really- you do a Mono-type challenge for a given type in EVERY GENERATION. That's right. You don't have to do it in chonological order or anything, but you may only be playing one game at a time.

As an example, here's what I'm doing.
Type: Water (Because Piplup is the only water starter I've ever used)
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s): FR > SS > E > Pt > B (Because I must have ORDER)

Kapech?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

"because Piplup is the only starter I've ever used"

Sooooo ... does this mean you're restricted to one of only three types? I wouldn't think so but you sure do seem to be boxing yourself in as though it is.

Also: seems like this challenge is impossible for certain elements in certain generations. (See: Ghosts before Gen 5 and possibly even Gen 4, I'm pretty sure not a single one of the Gen 3 or earlier ghosts can learn Surf and you need Surf to beat the game.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm sure for situations like the one Talon mentioned, having a slave would be perfectly acceptable. You can't be expected to make it through the game if it's impossible to do so with the restrictions you have. So yeah, I'd say that having an HM slave would be the only leeway you'd get, though.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

No, you're allowed to use your starter until you find your first pokemon of said type. And if you can't find a 'mon of that type relatively early (Generally considered to be before the third gym, though I've always thought that was a little late), you're allowed to hack one in. And you're allowed to use an HM slave, just not in battle. Guess I should of explained better. ;^_^

EDIT: Niiiiiiinjas. :O
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Sneaze
Mrow?

>allowed to hack one in

Well, that solves my problem of getting a Ghost or Dragon in FRLG era.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
I'm currently on gym six on my Emerald Grass run.

Blue was easy, Gold was tough because of Lance and Red, and Emerald has been a breeze so far.
Edit:
Original Gold. The only way I survived Lance with out grinding to level 70 was Quick Clawed Spores from a Parasect, actually.

Last edited by Ethereal; 06-20-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Real Gold or HeartGold? HG shouldn't have been too bad thanks to EV training and new moves but yeah Gold would've probably been a chore requiring major leveling up to get over the hump. Would not be enthusiastic about a Gen 2 Meganium + Gen 2 Jumpluff + Gen 2 Vileplume, etc, team going up against three Dragonites (at least one of which knows Blizzard >_>), an Aerodactyl, a Gyarados, and a Charizard. Kudos to you either way.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Already learned an interesting lesson: Contrary to sheer numbers, Water-types aren't common at ALL. At least in the early game. For once, the Magikarp man's offer was a good deal- Finally gave me a second 'mon. Misty wasn't as hard as my sister hyped her up to be, probably mostly because her attacks were all nve (not that that stopped Water Pulse hax from rearing it's ugly head), and beating her earned me the Gyrados I had so desired.

Current Team:
Bubbles the Female Wartortle
Lv27, Torrent, Lax nature
-Mega Kick (Earns at least a 2HKO on EVERYTHING at this point)
-Bite
-Water Gun
-Rapid Spin

Passion the Female Gyrados
Lv20, Intimidate, Naughty nature
-Splash
-Tackle
-Bite
-Secret Power

Lt. Surge is up next, which will likely be the hardest battle of the entire run.
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>Kin

Speaking as someone who's done water monotype on LG before, it may be wise to simply skip Surge. The earliest you need to beat him is before gym 8, his badge only lets you use fly and you can get cut and move on without stepping foot in his gym.

Tempted to try this challenge (probably water, as I've done that on both LG and Crystal, but I've done fighting on LG before too so might consider that). Depends on whether I can find my copy of Diamond.

EDIT the first: Oh wait I don't really like any of the water types in gen V. Fighting it is!

Last edited by Concept; 06-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I really love Monotyping. Currently just about to finish a Normal run of Black.

Done quite a few types... kinda wanna try doing this but not sure what type I'd do. I guess I could continue on with Normal...

EDIT: Also, without hacking, the only types that are doable (in the sense that you can beat every Gym with a Pokémon of your target type) are Water, Grass, Fire, Fighting and Normal, since Black and White only have starters (who are monotyped always, aside from the Tepig line) and Normals before the first Gym and Dark is undoable in Gens I and II.

However, if you let Lenora be cutoff (the first Gym is stupid anyways), Ground, Flying, Electric (ONLY HGSS, there's no patch of grass before the MiracleSeed Checkpoint in GS and Crystal doesn't have Mareep) all open as well.

Black and White are so obnoxiously restrictive.

EDIT2: Because I have no life, I'm gonna make a handy guide! Brb.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]

Last edited by Jerichi; 06-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

And I missed something else. XD

If you're doing Dark or Steel, you're allowed to skip Gen I.
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you want to select one of those two types but don't want people looking down on you for picking the easy way out (especially with Steel, lol ), something you could consider would be to pick corresponding types in Gen 1. So for instance, if you pick Dark, then in Gen 1 you should pick Normal, the reasons being:
  1. Dark-types are weak to fighting. Well, so are Normal-types!
  2. Bug-type attacks almost don't even exist in true Gen 1. (FRLG likely differs.) So this is a non-issue.
  3. Moves like Bite were originally Normal.
  4. Normals aren't weak to Psychic. (Same for a lot of other types but I'm just pointing out that there isn't a glaring contradiction via a Psychic weakness here.)
  5. Steel resists Dark. Rock resists Normal. (See below for why this is relevant.)
And then for Steel, I would suggest you draft Rock in Gen 1. Why?
  1. Both are defensively sturdy but have low SpDef. (Or, in true Gen 1, low Special.)
  2. If Dark's stand-in is going to be Normal, then Steel should be something which resists Normal. That challenge is met by Rock.
  3. Steel is weak to Fighting. Rock is weak to Fighting. (Though fucking lol at the implication that this even matters in true Gen 1. )
  4. Steel is weak to Fire. Rock is weak to Water. (Polar opposites but a decent trade-off.)
  5. Steel is weak to Ground. Rock is weak to Ground.
  6. You're giving yourself an even bigger handicap in Gen 1 picking Rock than you would be with most other types. Most Rock-type Pokemon in Gen 1 (if not all? ) are Rock/Ground dual-typed, so you'll really be fighting a tough fight as far as enemy Water and Grass-type attacks are concerned. If you can beat Gen 1 with an all Rock team, then you "earn" the right to use the LOL EASY defensively awesome, high base stats Steel-types of Gens 2 on forward.
If you do it this way, then no one can give you shit for attempting a Dark or Steel challenge people will still give you shit but at least you can say "I tried. "
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Another point for using Rock as a psudo-steel is that GF themselves highlighted the progression with Jasmine and Steelix.

Another uncommonly used method I've seen is to play Gen 1 with Steel and Dark hacked in. But. That requires effort. So.

(Though any Steel runner would get my respect anyway- that is a goddamn awful type offensively.)
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
quintowill
Soul Badge

Send a message via AIM to quintowill Send a message via MSN to quintowill Send a message via Yahoo to quintowill Send a message via Skype™ to quintowill
I'll start Poison when I get home from work.

43ko 123tp 6.5 sp
Banner by KratosAurion

Note: banner is not up to date...
quintowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

End-game Steel creatures are in no way poor when it comes to offense and I would wager that during-the-story Steels are pretty powerful as well. (True Gen 2 Scizor says hi. Gen 3 sends you a postcard addressed from a Dewford Aggron.) Steel moves may have many things which hamper them, like Fighting, Fire, or Water (a terrible Story Mode type to have resist you!), but no one said anything about only having to use Steel-type attacks on your Steel-type creatures. If that was the case, I'd agree with you: Steel would be a tough challenge not because of the creatures (LOL EASY) but because of the attacks ( ;_; ). But since this challenge doesn't require you to use just attacks of the element you're running, the handicap goes bye-bye while the advantage remains.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Here's a rough guide to what's doable under various restrictions. BW2 is based on my best guesses from the data we just got from SPPf.

Tell me if there's any mistakes.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh, yeah, I was talking about the move types. I know that you don't have to use moves of your STAB type, but 'mon tend to learn mostly moves of their types. Though I have to admit that it is quite possible to choose 'mon expressly for their secondary types (I've already had a bit of that- when choosing my fossil, I eventually decided on the one with attack>special attack, since my team would need access to powerful rock moves moreso than lolwater).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, Jeri, what did you base your findings on? A minimum overall team number?
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The schematic makes sense if you're assuming Species Clause. I don't see why you should have to assume that in any generation where fewer than six distinct fully-evolveds for your type exist. So for instance ...

Generation 1: you said it's impossible to do a Dragon run because there are too few members. I'd also agree that it's impossible for the secondary reason that you'll not find a Dragon-type in Gen 1 until far too late in the game. But considering Kind said you could hack shit into existence at the very start to make things work, then I fail to see why you can't hack yourself a Dratini right from the get-go. At which point you proceed to rape the game with Dragon Rage and eventually evolve yourself into a Dragonite and just brute force overpower it. Sure, there are no good Dragon-type moves back in true Gen 1, but you're still Dragonite. And if/when/once you finally get your hands on some baby Dratinis, it's lol lol lol all the way to the bank with your team of five Dragonairs and one Dragonite. Not pleasant but certainly doable.

So back to the chart. It looks good so long as the working assumptions are:
* NO HACKS! You can only catch things in the wild or trade for them in-game.
* SPECIES CLAUSE! You can't have more than one of the same guy.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>Five Dragonair and one Dragonite

I now want to do that simply for the lols that would result when you went toe to toe with Lance. XD
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>EDIT: Out of curiosity, Jeri, what did you base your findings on? A minimum overall team number?

Yes and no?

To be an ideal monotype run, you face as many trainers as possible with only Pokémon of that type, and, ideally, the first Gym Leader as well. This means that only types that have Pokémon obtainable before the first gym technically qualify. You also need to end up with a full team of 6 by the end of the run (or at least be able to). Those are marked with a black X.

Some games put Pokémon of many types just beyond that checkpoint (BW being the worst offender). Because this would disqualify a whole boatload of types, it seems fair to the casual player to let them beat the 1st GL normally (since they're often easy anyways) and just carry on with their challenge. Alternatively, you can just hack one of those just-unreachable 'mon in. Those are marked with a green X.

Those marked with a squiggly equals sign are best done through hacking as you have A) enough Pokémon catchable but they are obtained too late in the game (green one) B) there exist enough Pokémon in the game's code to make a full or reasonably full team but they aren't catchable (black squiggly) or C) a combination of the two (red squiggly).

Under these criteria, I guess Poison for BW should be Black and Dragon in HGSS should probably be a Red. But meh.

EDIT: You can also do Ghost in DPPt, though you'd strain yourself to get a full team. It works okay in Plat if you don't mind hacking in a Gastly as a starter or something.

>Talon

Yeah, I'm talking about an idealized mono-run, which includes Species Clause, no hacks, and, preferably, all mono, all the time.

EDIT2: Another finding: Steel in RSE is possible, though you don't quite fill your team and you can't get a Steel until post-Roxanne.

Last edited by Jerichi; 06-20-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Remember what Talon said about raping everything with Dratini Dragon Rage?

Yeah. Passion just learned Dragon Rage. And it OHKOs 90% of enemies, and 2HKOs the remaining 10%.
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I did a Bug run in Black, it was pretty awesome. Ended with a final team of Scolipede, Leavanny, Durant, Crustle, Volcarona and Galvantula.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Mega Kick, Mega Kick, Dragon Rage, Double Team, Dragon Rage.

I blame the bad AI for this being me VS Surge. I only had to switch Bubbles out because of Static.
Quote:
Old 06-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #24
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
Think I might pull a Steel run for Emerald, cause Aggrons.

Hacks or no hacks? Nuzlocke or no nuzlocke?

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I cannot do it gen V, But I'll be doing a Ground one, starting in Crystal.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON