UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #826
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Honestly a Mega Milotic and Mega Flygon would've been much better, or Mega anything from Gen 5.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #827
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
It's through the Pokemon Trainer Club thing so this won't be Platinum Members of Club Nintendo which is good.

Also Mega Glalie sucks and Mega Steelix is worthless.
If you could, you know, elaborate since Serebii has nothing that would be great.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #828
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
If you could, you know, elaborate since Serebii has nothing that would be great.
Sorry.

See the Pokemon Trainer Club is how you have access to the Global Link system and if you have email notifications on you'll get a code. Simple as that. Badly done yes but I don't have time/patience to explain this well.

Also Mega Glalie and Mega Steelix
Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #829
Emi

oh god mega steelix is so hideous get it awaaayyyy

But I do like Mega Glalie. NOM NOM.

Mega Steelix gets Sand Force. Seems like a great bulky pivot for Sand teams.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #830
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Am I the only one who sees Oreo cookies when looking at Mega Glalie or am I just that messed up?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #831
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Mega Glalie's an icy Cacodemon. Be afraid.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #832
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Mega Steelix is so fabulous. I'm gonna use it.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #833
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
>Mega Glalie

Mega Froslass when
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #834
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

>New Pokénav
>Something in a remake that isn't a downgrade from the original

Huh.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #835
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As someone with a three-foot painting of Jasmine and her Steelix hanging in his apartment, I can say that while I am happy Steelix received a mega for competitive purposes, I am quite disappointed in its design. It is easily bottom 25% for me. It changes little, and what little it does change is awful. Either change a lot (whether I love you or hate you) or else, better still, change little but make sure that what you do change is excellent. Mega Steelix didn't do that. :\ He looks uglier and sillier than his base form. All this does for me is make me now wish for Eviolite to work in conjunction with Pokémon that have mega forms (lol NO WAY) just so that I can plop one down on ordinary Steelix and be happy.

Mega Glalie, on the other hand, feels like a Mega Evolution done right. The changes aren't too drastic but they're visually pleasant and they seem to fit the creature's theme.

The trailer -- http://youtu.be/RFvxSvPIw5c -- features a pretty amazing display of what flying on top of a Lati@s will look like. Here is hoping that:
  1. you don't need them to know Fly to do this
  2. this visual style replaces flying in future games
It reminds me of Final Fantasy 6, piloting Setzer's skyship around the world. It's a fun, charming upgrade over the screenwipes we've had since 1995/1998. If you're going to take as long as you do right now, you may as well make it fun and engaging.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #836
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Mega Glalieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee <33333333333333333333333
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #837
Torkoal Stu
This

What were they drinking when they designed Mega Steelix?
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #838
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Steelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkoal Stu View Post
What were they drinking when they designed Mega Steelix?
No idea but I'll bet when they tipped it back they said 'Chin chin'!

I'll go sit in the corner.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #839
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Just confirmed that Mega Glalie gets Refrigerate. Well, at least it now gets better physical Ice STAB than Ice Fang now. Was hoping for Strong Jaw and for it to randomly get Thunder/Fire/Poison Fangs.

Mega Steelix gets Sand Force.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #840
Emi

Refrigerate sounds pretty awesome. But is there any confirmation on whether its physically based or specially based?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #841
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, Sand Force was mentioned earlier. Blaze postulated about Mega Steelix's possible use as a pivot Pokémon that not only takes hits well on the switch in but dishes them just as well on the switch out. Problem is, an ideal pivot is something with access to U-Turn (or similar), and Steelix doesn't have that so you'll have to be pivoting out the old-fashioned way. Maybe if they invent a new U-Turn and gift it to him ... *shrug* I dunno. As it stands, it feels to me like the idea behind Mega Steelix was basically to satisfy people who wanted to use the creature offensively (don't we all? :') ) and who don't want him to leave any time soon once he's switched in. But it's very hard for me to imagine Mega Steelix being a competitive player's go-to guy for the mega slot. Which means that Mega Steelix should have been something that pleased Steelix fans. Not sure how well they're going to score on that front.

Mega Glalie getting Refrigerate feels awfully lazy. For some megas the ____ate family of abilities makes sense. Salamence makes sense not only thematically (that he not only gained the ability to fly by wishing hard enough for it but that he even became so attuned with flying that the very character of his attacks is tinged with flying flavor) but also competitively (Thrash, Double-Edge, Body Slam ... lots of physical Normal options for him, and all of them will gain STAB now). Glalie though ... all we're really doing is gifting it Ice-type Return (okay) and Ice-type Explosion (flavorfully neat but kinda pointless outside of striking ghosts ^^; ).

So, I thought that we knew about these new megas because of the demo alone. But apparently official Ken Sugimori artwork is out already for some of them, and wow! O_o Mega Glalie looks pretty scary! (And also appears to lack any internal organs, or else has them all scrunched up within its narrow candy shell.) Mega Steelix's artwork reveals a design that I do like a little better than what I thought we had. (It is at least somewhat more different than I had perceived.) But it's still a big swing and a miss for me. :\ Those faint iridescent crystals poking out of it are such a tease of something that could have been. (Side-evolution for Onix, anyone? "The Crystal Onix" come to life?) The bright blue hexagons are kinda tacky. Like someone just slapped 'em on like decals for a car. :\ Feels like Mega Steelix is an amalgam of brainstormed ideas that had little to no relation to one another and none of which were strong enough on their own to carry the design so they just said, "Fuck it: put 'em all in there!"

Still no Sugimori art (outside of CoroCoro scans) for Mega Pidgeot, sadly. But I'm sure it'll come out soon.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #842
Kyro12
Fallen from the Stars

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyro12
>Mega Glalie gets Regenerator

Yes pls.

I can't read. lol Ignore me.

Credit to Daisy for this glorious Battle Cut :3
Kyro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #843
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyro12 View Post
>Mega Glalie gets Regenerator

Yes pls.
Sadly, Kyro's hopes were dashed.

>Ice-type Explosion

Oh I completely forgot about this. This is actually quite a bit better than people think, as it really turns Mega Glalie into the ultimate suicide hazard lead.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #844
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Mega Glalie has internal organs!

They used to belong to whatever it just ate.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #845
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Mega Steelix is terrible. Mega Glalie be my love. ^^

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #846
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Oh I completely forgot about this. This is actually quite a bit better than people think, as it really turns Mega Glalie into the ultimate suicide hazard lead.
Ehhhhhhhhhh ... it just means more people will run Heatran at the top of OU. And that Smogon will then target poor Glalie for a suspect test because "omg he's centralizing da metta by makin us all run Hetran."

You can't band it either, so unless Mega Glalie's final attack (not base attack) is 1.5 times what normal Glalie's is, it won't be as powerful as an ordinary Glalie's with Choice Band.

I guess the consideration I would have in mind personally would be Baton Passing some nice attack buffs to Glalie. Swords Dance, Swords Dance again if you can, pass to Glalie, and detonate the next turn as Mega Glalie. Not so hot in Singles, but in Doubles where you only get to bring four creatures in total and two of them have to be out on the field to take damage at any given point in time, it could be pretty vicious. "Could be." I don't know how well it'd really work in practice. Team Preview makes it easy to see coming from a mile away, and while Explosion passes right through your teammate's Protect (unfortunately -.-), I believe it doesn't get to freely pass through your enemies'. If I'm right about that, then yeah ... it's just too much risk. Might get you to the middle of the ladder but I don't think it could take you much further than that.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #847
Emi

>explosion won't be as powerful as Glalie

Refrigerate. Also Glalie learns EQ so it can easily beat Heatran.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #848
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
>explosion won't be as powerful as Glalie

Refrigerate. Also Glalie learns EQ so it can easily beat Heatran.
You're not going to be around to use Earthquake on Heatran if you've just exploded on me. The idea is to switch Heatran into a predicted Explosion. If you want to start playing the hand stack game and argue that you predict my Heatran switch-in and thus use Earthquake, it's just going to create some of Smogon's beloved 50/50s where I either a) led with a Levitator/flyer to begin with and I choose to leave him/her out or else b) call your shenanigans and myself switch to a Levitator/flyer instead of directly to Heatran.

Alternatively: Skarmory. Neutral to Ice, nice defense, and immune to Ground. What now?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #849
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You're not going to be around to use Earthquake on Heatran if you've just exploded on me. The idea is to switch Heatran into a predicted Explosion. If you want to start playing the hand stack game and argue that you predict my Heatran switch-in and thus use Earthquake, it's just going to create some of Smogon's beloved 50/50s where I either a) led with a Levitator/flyer to begin with and I choose to leave him/her out or else b) call your shenanigans and myself switch to a Levitator/flyer instead of directly to Heatran.

Alternatively: Skarmory. Neutral to Ice, nice defense, and immune to Ground. What now?
Mega Glalie's first priority is to set up as many layers of Spikes as possible. This means that if Heatran switches it, its going to be because Mega Glalie is severely weakened and has already done its job. Switching Heatran into a full-health Glalie is a fool's choice because of Earthquake. If you switch to a levitator / Flyer, chances are its weak to ice and won't switch in anyways.

Skarmory is useless because it cannot deal with Mega Glalie. Glalie taunts it, forces it to Brave Bird repeatedly, and then explodes, likely killing it.

Quote:
252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 217-256 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This is just normal Glalie, and Mega Glalie could get a boost to its attack. Even without it, the Brave Bird recoil will force it into KO range.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #850
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Mega Glalie's first priority is to set up as many layers of Spikes as possible. This means that if Heatran switches it, its going to be because Mega Glalie is severely weakened and has already done its job. Switching Heatran into a full-health Glalie is a fool's choice because of Earthquake. If you switch to a levitator / Flyer, chances are its weak to ice and won't switch in anyways.

Skarmory is useless because it cannot deal with Mega Glalie. Glalie taunts it, forces it to Brave Bird repeatedly, and then explodes, likely killing it.

(Calculation.) This is just normal Glalie, and Mega Glalie could get a boost to its attack. Even without it, the Brave Bird recoil will force it into KO range.
Way, way too many assumptions in this post.

Glalie's Moveset: With Spikes, Explosion, Earthquake, and Taunt all already mentioned by you, you're done. You don't get any more attacks. If we roll with your set as "the standard Mega Glalie set," it basically asks to be walled to high heaven by an anti-Glalie Skarmory running Steel Wing; an Intimidate Gyarados running Stone Edge; a Levitate Bronzong running Gyro Ball; and more.

If you want to object and swap out one or two moves, fine, but you can't have five or six moves in trying to cover all of your bases.

Skarmory's Moveset: So about that ... you just decide for me that I am going to switch in and Brave Bird because WHY NOT? No. If Mega Glalie's going to introduce some changes to how things are done, then you can't ramrod me into running old-fashioned sets. We're just theorizing here, trying to see how impressive or unimpressive Mega Glalie might be. A Heatran on an Air Balloon, for example, is going to be able to switch in with impunity against your earlier moveset and fire back with special Steel. And as for Skarmory, he may be forced to adapt to an unconventional set where he runs Steel Wing over Brave Bird (or over some other move), but it would be evolution at work if the meta has evolved to support Mega Glalie as a common threat.

Stats: Do we even know Mega Glalie's stats yet? We'll know soon. But do we know right now? You seem to be running full speed with the assumption that it got gobs of Attack and Speed. What if it didn't? What if it's easily outsped by other things?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON