UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #101
precita
Boulder Badge

The mass exodus of writers after XY, in addition to Tomioka not working on the show much anymore, is sad. All those writers were there from the start of the show in Kanto. They built the show from what it was all these years, and that's why to a lot of people, XY felt like a "endgame" or "series finale" type saga when it was airing, it felt like the epitome of everything before it. I really wonder why so many left.

SM has had some good episodes/writing, but it is odd that it feels like XY was the end of the "old series" as we know it. Which is even more odd because DP before that felt the same way.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #102
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
XY feels like it does due to the influence of director Tetsuo Yajima. Old dogs don't learn new tricks, and those writers were doing the same thing they've been doing since Kanto: running gags and generic, detached filler plots. XY is filled to the brim with this, and it's why I dropped that series originally. It was too repetitive and boring.

Matsui is the head writer for SM and she made it into a proper character-driven anime. It's not perfect, but the highs are still highs and the lows not that low. The fact that I can compare Sun & Moon to the original Fullmetal Alchemist and be totally serious speaks to just how much it caught up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #103
precita
Boulder Badge

Yeah, but you can say that about any old saga from Johto onward. If you skip over the more dull/repetitive filler and only watch the plot-related aspects of each saga, as well as some of the funnier/best fillers, you can have a fun time watching any old saga. The main problem is basically the Team Rocket formula is always there, and they're the main reasons so many eps and fillers feel repetitive if they all have to end with a TR blast-off.

But hey, the anime still went on for 16+ years like that with slight variations, so it still worked for most people.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #104
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No, Pokemon is still a below average anime even if you skip to just the plot relevant stuff. I know, I basically did that with Best Wishes - which helps because pre-league BW didn't have a lot of filler, so at most it was like 10 episodes.

You might be tempted to say "no it isn't" but consider an average anime is Naruto or My Hero Academia. The standard is pretty high compared to the era of Sailor Moon or pre-Kai DBZ.

The old animes are also unbearable because of Team Rocket taking away 30% of the runtime every episode, even in plot-relevant ones. The stiff/poor animation makes for a static and dull experience. I'm about 10 episodes into AG and it's really bad, just like Johto really.

I've seen a lot of people speak out against Sun & Moon because they "miss" the old formula, but they're also obsessive Pokemon fans who don't watch other anime. This is a very modernized season with a conventional storytelling structure, not something designed around 1990's budget sensibilities (which Pokemon was).

From what we know of the upcoming Galar anime, it's going to be quite similar but with the same character-driven focus. So my expectation is that a large portion of the SM cast will be accompanying Ash to Great Britain. That way, the storylines started in SM can continue to grow and develop.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #105
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

We now know who Ash's 6th member is.

Kukui has his work cut out for him rofl.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #106
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Wait what?!?!

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #107
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
Wait what?!?!
do not open if you are a fan of the masked royal

Spoiler: show
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #108
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

This makes me a bit happier lol.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:10 AM   #109
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Another spoiler for the upcoming episode basically reveals that 6v6 in SM142 isn't going to be an exhibition anymore, it's going to be a full-blown rival battle.

I'm very excited to see what will happen. I have no idea what the outcome will be. Kukui is supposed to be the strongest trainer in Alola, but he's basically battling Tobias.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #110
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

So that's two consecutive asspulls on the eve of big matches this season. This makes Sideburn Greninja seem like acceptable plot armor all of a sudden.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #111
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Betting five bucks there's going to be another one to get him to actually beat Kukui. Another five on it being Torracat having a clutch evolution for an Incineroar mirror.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #112
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I hope Torracat doesn't evolve. I like it as a quadruped baby tiger and not WRESTLER IN A CATSUIT. It has a unique delivery for its moves (with the fire erupting from its bell) that is unique from all other Fire-type starters.

Incineroar too but...he pelvic thrusts when he does it. We only need one of those in the show!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #113
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Preview shows Kukui starts with Incineroar. It's as beastly as expected, and people are complaining this will be Tobias 2.0. I don't think so at all. Braviary and Lucario are nothing special.

I do think Kukui has a wild card, like Marshadow.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #114
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'd argue that him having Marshadow would exactly make him Tobias 2.0. I mean I guess it's different in a sense that Tobias was a random guy and Kukui is actually important but as far as "guy with a legendary to stonewall Ash" goes it's the same to me
Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #115
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I suggest Marshadow because Pikachu battled Marshadow and Zeraora in the two AU movies, and also battled Zeraora (several times) in the proper anime after the release of M21. Pikachu basically beat Zeraora in the movie, so their battle in the anime could be seen as a rematch of sorts.

Marshadow beat Pikachu in M20 which led to Ash dying. It would be karmic for them to get one more opportunity to settle things even in some respect.

I don't think Kukui having Marshadow makes him a Tobias. Tobias had 6 legendary Pokemon, according to the Diamond & Pearl director's tweet. He was created to be completely unbeatable. Kukui's strong, but he's definitely mortal and wasn't created specifically to cockblock Ash. This is also a series where Gladion has Silvally, Mallow has Shaymin and Lillie has Magearna. It's pretty common in Alola to have legendaries!

I also think that, if Incineroar goes down, Kukui is at a huge disadvantage because of Ash's thick team. Lucario and Braviary don't look that strong, while Melmetal and Naganadel certainly are.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #116
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kukui's Team revealed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Fan
Incineroar
Braviary
Lucario
Venusaur
Empoleon

We're still missing one, but I bet it's Marshadow. :V
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 AM   #117
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Oof that’s a strong team and I love it. Ash better not win this.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:16 AM   #118
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

50/50 that the final is Zeraora or Marshadow. People are saying it's a Galar Pokemon, since it's hidden, but I doubt that.

Kukui is at a pretty big handicap with that team, even if it looks solid on paper. One of those two has got to be a Mega, although I'm leaning against the Lucario now. Lucario could still be the Mega so as to be the Gen VI rep.

Apparently, Melmetal knows Thunderbolt. That's going to be a huge problem for Kukui as normally Ash doesn't have Electric-type coverage outside of Pikachu.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #119
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Naganadel also has Thunderbolt.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #120
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Right.

Braviary is countered by Melmetal, Lycanroc and Pikachu and checked by Naganadel.
Lucario is checked by Rowlet and Torracat.

Venusaur is checked by Torracat, Naganadel, Melmetal and Rowlet
Empoleon is checked by Melmetal, Pikachu and Naganadel

I kinda doubt that Torracat could job to Empoleon after what it did to Golisopod.

The anime has a funny format. Ash's entire team save the bird is weak to Ground, but since Earthquake/Fissure are banned in the anime, it's hard to exploit a Ground weakness there.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #121
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Honestly, it's the anime. They can bullshit basically anything here. Counters and checks mean little. Yes he should win, but I'm pretty sure he should've won most leagues up until now, and yet...
Old 09-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #122
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The writer for this battle is the best in the anime, but he sometimes tends to bend the rules (a lot), like:

1. Paul using Thunder into the ground to hit Gliscor
2. Dragonite having 10 moves
3. Pikachu jumping on electricity to escape Misty's Hurricane

As some have pointed out, Incineroar might have more than 10 moves in this, since he uses an unknown fire attack on Torracat in the preview.

Juuust roll with it. This is a for-fun battle, afterall!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #123
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Just to let you all know, the Let's Go anime appears to be a reboot, set in the same continuity as M20/M21 movies.

Ash's adventure from the OS ends here, which is why Ash-Kukui is getting the royal 3 episode treatment. This is the final battle of the entire anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #124
precita
Boulder Badge

Man, you can tell Tomioka is writing the Kukui battle, this battle felt just like a DP-era battle. The battles in SM have been lackluster a lot of the time with the exception of a few, but Tomioka knows how to write battles.

This pretty much felt like DP Ash, with the strategy and testing the waters with Torracat before recalling it rather than letting it faint. As well as Kukui's role with Incineroar and the different attacks used.

I missed Tomioka's writing, he writes Ash smart rather than just having him charge into battle and just hoping he wins. Tomioka has been with the anime since episode 3, Ash captures Caterpie was his first episode, so he's been with the show for 22 years and knows Ash better than anyone.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #125
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This feels like a series finale. It's been building up for the entire SM season, so I hope for great things.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON