UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #151
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Episode 12/13

Spoiler: show
I agree with Morg, Episode 12 was the last episode in a series of really drawn out episodes trying to hammer home the "atmosphere" of the Trost occupation by titan-kind. Well, it was boring to watch and I stopped caring. Armin doing something cool was a nice change of pace, and at first it was a bit pleasing that the operation "failed" (implying Pixis would get executed for failure) but it wasn't going to happen that way. Not at all.

I find I don't give a crack about the characters who aren't the main trio, and Jean. I don't recognize them. Marco dying in Episode 13 was literally a background character death. No impact on me, even if he was Jean's best buddy.

Episode 13 rocked from an Eren standpoint, he got to be the cool alpha titan. We finally got to see some action too, although the delay leading up to it was painful.

Oh yeah, Eren is Mikasa's boyfriend. That guy who died said so!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #152
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I have to voice my disappointment about next week's episode.
A RECAP EPISODE?! REALLY?!

Is that necessary? Hell, this episode started with a recap of the last 1-2 episodes!

Just give me my Levi-related plot development and I'm golden. Don't drag on with a recap episode of 13 episodes, of which 12 included recaps of the previous episodes.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #153
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Episode 12/13

I find I don't give a crack about the characters who aren't the main trio, and Jean. I don't recognize them. Marco dying in Episode 13 was literally a background character death. No impact on me, even if he was Jean's best buddy.
This is unfortunately something which plagues poorly written shows. They introduce a character with a very simple "Like this person!" story and then kills them off. They're still nobodies.

"OH NO! THE ONE SCENE YOU DID SOMETHING IN! NOW YOU'RE DEAD! WAIT! I DON'T CARE!" is one of the reasons I've stopped reading.

Its kind of funny. I criticize the manga for letting characters survive, but then I also criticize them for how poorly they handle killing people off. It's so funny how a series can get a few key aspects wrong and ruin the experience overall. Game of Thrones has spoiled me.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #154
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Something to keep an eye out for -

It was mentioned by the Recon Corps that they confirmed what Midge (?) I believe originally pointed out, that they suspect that the Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan were probably humans like Eren.

Taken literally, perhaps they're not external threats like one would have believed, but humans within the city and even those fighting the titans alongside the group. The recently deceased Marco for example could have been either of those two and we wouldn't know.

I might be mistaken, but I think the land SnK is set in is the only human civilization (I was under the impression that there were kingdoms beyond Wall Maria, but apparently that's not the case) and since the titan juice originated in there, it's possible Eren's father experimented on other rats/urchins in the city before Eren.

It's going to be hard to keep track of people since they're all generics right now, but it'll be a good exercise to look at suspicious behaviour and consider if they're actually a titan in disguise!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #155
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
It's only been a month, but it feels like forever... -_-"

I have to say, I was immensely dissapointed by this chapter.
Who gives a crap about Ymir's creepy obsession with Christa?

Blah blah blah we go to save her blah blah blah no blah blah blah back on forth blah blah blah BORING

Old 07-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #156
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The full single for the OP is out, and it's awful. It sounds like two songs were merged into one, with the second half created after the first instead of chopping down the full version into TV size.

TV
Full of Bad

For comparison, here's the HxH OP, which follows what I just described and sounds just like what you would imagine if it were extended.

TV
Full
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #157
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
The full single for the OP is out, and it's awful. It sounds like two songs were merged into one, with the second half created after the first instead of chopping down the full version into TV size.

TV
Full of Bad
It sounds like an interlude, but I'll agree that it could pass for an entirely separate track on the same album.

The thing is, though, we're very, very used to lyrical songs in anime following the old standard of Verse 1's melody = Verse 2's melody = [...] = pitch shift of Verse Final's melody. This song bucks that trend a little by opting for Verse 1 =/= Verse 2 =/= Verse 3 Man Talking, but Verse 1 = pitch shift of Verse 4. There are some other songs popular in nerd pop culture which do this, notably Ghost Love Score by Nightwish. (Skip to 5m34s for the part that everyone knows thanks to the Internet. But if you listen to what precedes it, you'll easily here what could pass for three or more different tracks in there. And if you listen to what follows, there're another one or two distinct songs in there by conventional standards.)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is ... I agree with you that they sound like they could be two different tracks on the same album, but a) I do still feel like they have the same "feel" to them, i.e. I'd expect them to have been produced and performed by the same band in the same time frame, and b) I don't think it's necessarily an objectively bad thing. It's just not what we're accustomed to, so it might ruffle your feathers a bit at first. Music is, in many ways, all about patterns. Humans love to recognize patterns and seek them out constantly. Very often, then, music which subverts expectations will piss off the vast majority of people.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #158
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
It sounds like an interlude, but I'll agree that it could pass for an entirely separate track on the same album.

The thing is, though, we're very, very used to lyrical songs in anime following the old standard of Verse 1's melody = Verse 2's melody = [...] = pitch shift of Verse Final's melody. This song bucks that trend a little by opting for Verse 1 =/= Verse 2 =/= Verse 3 Man Talking, but Verse 1 = pitch shift of Verse 4. There are some other songs popular in nerd pop culture which do this, notably Ghost Love Score by Nightwish. (Skip to 5m34s for the part that everyone knows thanks to the Internet. But if you listen to what precedes it, you'll easily here what could pass for three or more different tracks in there. And if you listen to what follows, there're another one or two distinct songs in there by conventional standards.)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is ... I agree with you that they sound like they could be two different tracks on the same album, but a) I do still feel like they have the same "feel" to them, i.e. I'd expect them to have been produced and performed by the same band in the same time frame, and b) I don't think it's necessarily an objectively bad thing. It's just not what we're accustomed to, so it might ruffle your feathers a bit at first. Music is, in many ways, all about patterns. Humans love to recognize patterns and seek them out constantly. Very often, then, music which subverts expectations will piss off the vast majority of people.
must not get patriotic over Nightwish

I looked into Linked Horizon back when I first heard the TV-sized OP.

What people seem to have missed is that the band is big on storytelling. Live concerts happen with big orchestra, lots of singers, dancers and active storytelling. Taking Guren no Yumiya as a single like this is kinda like reading one chapter in the middle of a book with no context: it's confusing and annoying. But if you listen to it in the full album, there's a storyline and every song makes sense in it.

Also Talon, I had not heard those lines in that Nightwish-song - in fact I had never heard it before yes I'm a heretic Finn who doesn't know the Nightwish discography by heart.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #159
deoxys
Fog Badge

As if people hadn't heard enough of the OP, I decided to learn it on guitar.

BORKED
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #160
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well done! Wish I could do that! Keep it up! Would love to see where you go from here!

Since you don't appear to have an electric acoustic w/ amp, I'd suggest placing your microphone closer to the guitar's body next time. Acoustics are, by their nature, very quiet. So it can be a bit tough to hear some of the more gently-plucked notes.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #161
deoxys
Fog Badge

I do have an amp (a very bad one) and that actually is an electric acoustic funny enough, but setting it up would actually require me to not be lazy. You're right though, it was pretty quiet at several points.

Thank you though
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #162
Talon87
時の彼方へ

This week's episode was a recap episode, but I just saw the sneak peek for next week's episode at the end of it, and ...

Seriously? Another multi-parter? And this time it's a goddamn tribunal? One we were given the impression Eren wouldn't have to put up with (before because he was running away with Mikasa and Armin, then because Dot Pixis covered for him, and most recently because the head of the Legion covered for him)? This is getting ridiculous. Not trying to be a downer here, but I had to force myself to tune in to last week's episode, it took multiple sittings, and it wasn't until today (Monday) that I bothered with this week's. Really thinking I should just drop this series. I'm not enjoying it, and there's too much other stuff to watch this season anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #163
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
And thus, the Shingeki no Kyojin readers are reduced by one....
Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #164
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
And thus, the Shingeki no Kyojin readers are reduced by one....
Wait, what happened to you!? XD You were such a huge fan of this series, defending it against the likes of Loki and me! What are the other fans supposed to do now if UPN's #1 Shingeki no Kyojin fan is bailing? Man, seriously, I wonder what could've happened to make you go from "This manga is amazing ...!" to "This manga sucks! " in just a matter of a few months.

I probably won't read what it is just yet (just in case I stay), but you should probably mention it in a spoiler tag for Loki. 'Cause if he dropped the series back before you did citing unforgivable stupidity, I can only imagine what he'd make of the development which led you to drop it!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #165
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Quote:
Wait, what happened to you!? XD You were such a huge fan of this series, defending it against the likes of Loki and me! What are the other fans supposed to do now if UPN's #1 Shingeki no Kyojin fan is bailing? Man, seriously, I wonder what could've happened to make you go from "This manga is amazing ...!" to "This manga sucks! " in just a matter of a few months.

I probably won't read what it is just yet (just in case I stay), but you should probably mention it in a spoiler tag for Loki. 'Cause if he dropped the series back before you did citing unforgivable stupidity, I can only imagine what he'd make of the development which led you to drop it!
Wait I meant you?

But anyway, the manga is sure going downhill :p
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #166
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
Wait I meant you?

But anyway, the manga is sure going downhill :p
Then why did you say "readers"?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #167
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Quote:
Then why did you say "readers"?

Er.... er.....

....Well, I meant reference everyone as "readers" :p

Misunderstanding power go!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #168
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Morg and I didn't watch this week's episode because we heard about the recap, so I have no idea what'll happen for next week's. I just hope the pacing picks up because manga readers have told me the manga pacing is already bad for the next couple of arcs and the anime's just going to amplify that further.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #169
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

So I found out that part of the reason the chapter was so bad was that it was mess-uped. Huh. Well, now it's fixed and I read it again.

Chapter 47(fixed)

Okay first of all, Berthold(black haired guy who turns into humugous titan) likes Annie. WTF? Did not see that one coming. I can't say he has much of a chance, seeing that Annie's in a crystal, but go figure!

Second, Eren needs to get a grip. It's good that he delayed them, but he was acting like he should've been shut in an aslyum. :p

Likewise, Ymir's obsession with Crysta is a bit too much. Seems like all the "titans" are unhinged (except for maybe Annie). Bloody traitor she is.

Finally, the sacrifice teaser at the end of the chapter. The Wall patrol guy will probably die, but can't say I'll be too sad. Now, if Mikasa dies, that would be something. Maybe Loki would come back
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #170
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Is it even worth me watching this weeks episode? I know its a recap but does anything happen other than recap? Like, something at the end? Or something at the beginning that triggers the recap?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #171
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Is it even worth me watching this weeks episode? I know its a recap but does anything happen other than recap? Like, something at the end? Or something at the beginning that triggers the recap?
Not that I saw. Watched the first few minutes, skipped around a ton, watched the final one or two minutes, skipped the ending credits, watched the sneak peek. The only new thing I saw, period, was the sneak peek. Not even the usual "side characters saying new lines with new animation as they reminiscence on the material that's about to be shown to the audience via flashback" gag that you often see in recap episodes. Absolutely zero new animation or dialogue, Armin's off-camera narration possibly excepted.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #172
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Not that I saw. Watched the first few minutes, skipped around a ton, watched the final one or two minutes, skipped the ending credits, watched the sneak peek. The only new thing I saw, period, was the sneak peek. Not even the usual "side characters saying new lines with new animation as they reminiscence on the material that's about to be shown to the audience via flashback" gag that you often see in recap episodes. Absolutely zero new animation or dialogue, Armin's off-camera narration possibly excepted.
Huh. Well, fuck that then.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #173
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

There's a new OP out for the second half (?) of the season -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOpp_00t5k

1. It looks like everyone's going to go on a campaign (like Claymore?) to eradicate the titans. I guess Eren made everyone a lot more bold/brave.
2. New characters, I presume is Levi's elite squad.
3. Armin's going to go full Eren?
4. I think that's a female titan early in the OP, the one that Pixis was lusting after. Perhaps he's fought it in the past but hasn't told anyone?

The song is so-so. But I bet the full sounds better than Guren no Yumiya's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #174
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
There's a new OP out for the second half (?) of the season -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOpp_00t5k

1. It looks like everyone's going to go on a campaign (like Claymore?) to eradicate the titans. I guess Eren made everyone a lot more bold/brave.
2. New characters, I presume is Levi's elite squad.
3. Armin's going to go full Eren?
4. I think that's a female titan early in the OP, the one that Pixis was lusting after. Perhaps he's fought it in the past but hasn't told anyone?

The song is so-so. But I bet the full sounds better than Guren no Yumiya's.
The OP2 song is also on the single that Guren no Yumiya is in, so I've actually listened to the full version (all 5:28 minutes of it). As a stand-alone piece, it's better than Guren no Yumiya.

But now I have a problem with the OP2 itself! It's just...so weird. More like an amateur AMV than a proper OP. Animation-wise, I prefer OP1.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #175
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

No joke? It [GnY full] sounded horrible when I listened to it, though the gratuitous German and low quality is probably what made it incoherent.

It is better stand-alone. Why the heck was it merged into that monstrosity?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime