UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall

"After several weeks of civil unrest, the East German government announced on 9 November 1989 that all GDR citizens could visit West Germany and West Berlin. Crowds of East Germans crossed and climbed onto the wall, joined by West Germans on the other side in a celebratory atmosphere. Over the next few weeks, euphoric public and souvenir hunters chipped away parts of the wall; the governments later used industrial equipment to remove most of what was left. Contrary to popular belief the wall's actual demolition did not begin until Summer 1990 and was not completed until 1992. The fall of the Berlin Wall paved the way for German reunification, which was formally concluded on 3 October 1990." - Wikipedia

The fall of the Soviet Union is one of my earliest memories of a major world event; and while I don't remember the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989 specifically, amongst my earliest memories of world news are images and video of the event that were shown in 1991 and the years afterwards. Almost everyone on this forum is part of the post-Soviet generation, a generation that didn't grow up living the Cold War (though still acquainted with it by those who did). In many ways, the fall of the Berlin Wall is a marker for our generation: the story of the 25 years after its fall is the story of most or all of our lives.

If you have a story to share about how the Berlin Wall or its fall have affected you, your friends, or your family, feel free to share it here.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Heather
Naga's Voice

Not so much a story as a fun fact: Every so often, my dad's side of the family has a family reunion at this one place. Just outside the front is a whole section of the Berlin Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc