UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Empoleon DuckTales (woo-oo)

"DuckTales is based on Uncle Scrooge and other Duck universe comic books, created by Carl Barks. The show follows the adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his three grandnephews, Huey, Dewey, and Louie. In the 2017 reboot, after not speaking to each other for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring."
-adapted from Wikipedia

2017 trailer:

BORKED

Spoiler: show
The boys look a bit weird (and what's up with their voices), but it's cool they're bringing it back for a new generation. (Now the song can get stuck in even more kids' heads!) I like the route they're taking with Scrooge too, and Webby seems improved from her girly girl self at least. I've seen people say it gives off Gravity Falls vibes, and I can certainly see that.

Since the first ep of the reboot has officially aired, I've gone and made a separate thread for discussion. Feel free to use it to talk about the original series here as well.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-13-2017 at 04:48 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think it will be anywhere near as good as the original, but I also don't expect that it's trying to be the original. You can see that everywhere in this trailer, from the art style (could not be more different) to the personalities given to the kids (nothing at all like the comics' or the '80s cartoon show's personalities). The impression I get from this trailer, from top to bottom, is:

"We're trying to make Duck Tales cool again."

And while it's easy to get the feathers ruffled by implications that Duck Tales was ever not cool, let's face facts: today's kids by and large aren't seeking out old Duck Tales episodes and the show is incredibly dated culturally. It's very much a product of both its source material's generation as well as its own generation. And those generations ... are just very, very different from the kids born in the 21st century.

I like that they're trying to make the triplets each have a unique personality. That was something barely palpable in the original cartoon.

2017 Webby seems to be a love it or hate it kind of character, but from what we're seeing in the trailer alone? I absolutely love her. Yeah she's obnoxiously energetic (that laugh :')) but she's heaps better than Crybaby Webby from the 1980s. Whereas '80s Webby felt like the proverbial victim of a Little Rascals-style "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!" policy for an all-boys club, 2017 Webby feels like she's going to fit in perfectly well with the boys.

A big question mark for me is whether David Tennant (!) can pull it off and voice us a Scrooge McDuck that sounds just as good as Alan Young's. Because for me and for at least three generations of Americans, Alan Young's Scrooge McDuck is Scrooge McDuck. We'll just have to see. Tennant obviously has the acting chops. Not to mention the Scotsman chops. It's just a question of how much he'll try to sound like Alan and how much he'll strike out on his own -- and the secondary question, should he strike out on his own, of whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. For me, so long as he sounds "good" -- whatever that means -- I'm happy.

Will be nice if the show receives better support from the House of Mouse than Gravity Falls did. I think the success of this series will in large part depend on its having a fairly regular schedule when new episodes are being released. Whether that's once weekly, whether that's biweekly or monthly, just keep it consistent.

Not sure what their plans are for classic villains like Flintheart Glomgold, Magica De Spell, and the Beagle Boys. Kinda hoping they save Flintheart for the final season's climax, but also kinda hoping he gets a narrative arc spanning all the seasons. Would be a shame if the show was canceled before he even gets to show up. Perhaps they'll take a page out of the '80s show's playbook and have him show up in the first story arc.

Speaking of Flintheart Glomgold, I wonder whether they will go with the canon of the comics or whether they will stick with the rewrite popularized by the 1980s cartoon. In the source material, Flintheart is from South Africa; but in the '80s cartoon, he's a fellow countryman of Scrooge McDuck's, a Scot. Complicating matters further is the issue of Carl Barks canon vs. post-Barks canon: in the creator's, Carl Barks', canon, Scrooge and Flintheart don't meet until the present day of the story when both are already old and wealthy. However, in the 1980s, the person who took over for the writing of the Duck Tales comics decided to write a backstory for everyone's favorite Scrooge McDuck rival:
Rosa, who admits to have a soft spot for the character, has used Flintheart in a growing number of stories and has offered him a sort of origin. In his stories Flintheart is a Boer from the province of Transvaal. He was born around the same time as Scrooge and first met him during the Gold Rush of 1886 (the main effect of this Rush was the foundation of Johannesburg). Like Scrooge, Flintheart was born in poverty and was working his way up the financial ladder. While unsuccessfully searching for diamonds, he attempted to steal the findings of more successful fellow miners. As a result, he was tied to the horns of a water buffalo and the animal was then sent running. Flintheart was found and saved by Scrooge. Flintheart offered to be the guide of the recently arrived gold miner from Scotland, since he knew the territory. Scrooge accepted him as a needed companion and friend. But at night while Scrooge was sleeping, Flintheart stole his ox-cart along with all his equipment and supplies and left him alone in the wilderness. Having underestimated Scrooge, he was surprised when Scrooge caught up to him, furious and vengeful. When Scrooge finished with him, Flintheart was publicly humiliated, thoroughly embittered and imprisoned for theft. The two rivals made vows to themselves that helped shape some of their character traits. Scrooge vowed to never trust anybody ever again, in order not to be betrayed again. Apparently this is the source of Scrooge's distrust towards others whether they are allies, rivals or complete strangers and the reason he is secretive about his thoughts and emotions. On the other hand, a completely defeated Flintheart vowed that he will work to become so rich that nobody can humiliate him again (see Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck — Part VI:The Terror of Transvaal).
This tragic backstory, in which Scrooge and Flintheart drive one another to become the hardened men they are later in life, is exactly the sort of thing that 21st-century cartoon viewers lap up. (See: Gravity Falls' Grunkle Stan. See also: Adventure Time's Ice King.) So if the series does decide to stick with comic canon but also makes the decision to include post-Barks comics as canon, I think it'd be pretty awesome if they were to adapt this story arc for the TV series.

And if they don't decide to stick with that? And instead, they go for the Scottish Flintheart angle popularized by the '80s cartoon? Then I'd be interested to see them come up with a novel canon (if and only if they like) which lends some pathos to the characters' backstory. After all, does not Scrooge remark that he got where he is today by being "smarter than the smarties and tougher than the toughies?" What if one of those smarties was a young Flintheart fifty years ago? Or what if one of those toughies was Flintheart's father, whom Scrooge drove into bankruptcy and set the young Flintheart down a path for vengeance? Drama? In my Duck Tales? Okay, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here. But still.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
"We're trying to make Duck Tales cool again."
Oh I definitely got that impression too. "You used to be a big deal!" totally felt like fourth-wall breaking.

Webby's certainly got that Mabel-esque spunk/spazticity to her. She could be grating, but I like her so far as well. Curious to see what Mrs. Beakley will be like. She was already pretty badass in the original.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 03-22-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Alan Young finally died last year. Without Scrooge, there is no "duck" anything.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Disney's been trickling out some sneak peek videos over the past few days. Here are a couple of them:

These two scenes give us a pretty good idea of what we could've already expected from Disney: this show is one part '80s Duck Tales to one part Gravity Falls (or other 2010s Disney XD cartoons). Whether that's a positive or a negative is up for you to decide. I see a little of both.

I like the nephews having distinct personalities. I prefer Webby 2.0 many times over the original. I prefer Mrs. Beakley 2.0 over the original as well.

I'm a little turned off by just how "try hard"-ey the writing seems to be. (Too desperate. ) I'm also a little worried that with Webby 2.0 they're missing the forest for the trees: in trying to make her a female role model and heroine (or at least in trying to avoid a replication of the original Webby who was anything but), they're going a little too far with the "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M THE BEST ONE -- AND ALSO A GIRL " delivery that plagues lesser cartoons. It's a little obnoxious, and may even be influencing a lot of the fans who have gotten "Mabel Pines, duck edition" vibes from the character. (Which is funny considering Mabel Pines doesn't suit my criticism at all! But I think it's this obnoxiousness of "HEY I'M A STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER, LOOK AT ME!" presentation which some of these fans are mistaking for the character herself being obnoxious, i.e. obnoxious like Mabel.) Time will tell.

What would this post be without a discussion about the OP credits? Those too have been revealed!

BORKED

I like it well enough. It's got nothing on the original in either looks or sound, but that's okay: it's a lovely homage and I enjoy both the looks and the sound of the 2017 do-over. There're a lot of little things for fans to hyper-analyze in this OP too, so let's get to it, shall we?

The OP credits all but confirm that Scrooge's butler Duckworth will not be returning. (Or at least not at McDuck Manor ...) It appears that the Duckworth character and the Mrs. Beakley character have been merged into one, with Mrs. Beakley serving as both Webby's guardian and as the mansion's chief servant. I'm concluding this mostly based on two things. One is the dart fight scene (linked above, in the spoiler box), but the other is the OP's glimpse of Mrs. Beakley driving the jeep on one of Scrooge's adventures. That's an incredibly odd placement for a character who amounted to little more than a scullery maid in the original series. Here she seems like she's Mr. McDuck's personal Alfred Pennyworth. Even Duckworth didn't accompany Scrooge on his adventures, and yet Mrs. Beakley does ... That all but proves to me that she's the head honcho of household affairs at McDuck Manor in the 2017 reboot!

(Though speaking of Duckworth, apparently the writers for the 2017 version have already confirmed we've seen him in at least one of the promotional videos? Click this link for more info!)

Also of note is the color of Flintheart Glomgold's clothing. In the original comics, he's South African and predominantly wears black. Here, he returns to us with his green and yellow tartan kilt -- suggesting he will retain his retconned Scottish ancestry. While I was looking forward to South African Flintheart, I have to admit the soft spot in my heart for the version I grew up with. It will be fun to see what backstory the '17 version has in store for Scrooge and Flintheart.

Webby's grappling hook oh my god she really is Mabel Pines 2.0, isn't she? ^^;

At around 47s, they show four villains: Flintheart Glomgold, Bouncer Beagle(?), Ma Beagle, and ... I have to admit I don't know who this is. Is it a Dark Fenton? O-o Is it Steelbeak from the Darkwing Duck universe? O-o Is it a Dark Gladstone? O-o Well, I decided to look into it, for this post! And ... it turns out I was right not to recognize him, because he's an original character. O-o His name is Mark Beaks, and he's an apparent parody of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and/or Mark Zuckerberg. "A tech industry billionaire, who doesn't care as much about money as he cares about status and being buzzworthy and how many followers he has." That certainly seems to suggest the Zuckerberg part, along with the on-the-nose decision to name him Mark.

The OP credits confirm something else that became apparent from the sneak peek scenes -- Donald Duck will probably be as much a part of the story here as he was in the original comics. In fact, my research just a few seconds ago had led me to this choice (light spoilerific? ^^; ) morsel:

"After not speaking to one another for ten years, Scrooge McDuck is reunited with Donald Duck after he and his three nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie move into McDuck Manor. The presence of the newcomers rekindles Scrooge's spirit of adventure, leading the group to go on many new treasure-hunting expeditions, while the nephews and their new friend Webby uncover the truth behind what caused their uncles to become estranged and retire from adventuring."

So this is interesting. :o As far as I know, in the original comics there wasn't anything like this. So this too sounds like original writing. We'll have to see what the 2017 writers have in mind!

One last thing ... Strangely, there's no sign of Magica De Spell! This is pretty shocking, seeing as she's one of the few characters who shows up in both the original comics and the 1980s TV series! Considering the OP credits' heavy focus on Scrooge's Number One Dime and Magica's obsession with it, it's so strange that she'd be missing from the OP credits were she to show up eventually in Duck Tales 2017 Season 1. Maybe this is proof they're saving her for Season 2? Or maybe it's sad proof that she's been cut from the series? We'll have to see. Cutting out Magica De Spell, though, is almost as unimaginable as cutting out Flintheart Glomgold or the Beagle Boys, so ... I dunno! (She's just gotta be here by the end of S2!)

Wow. Long post is long. Here's hoping it gives my fellow Duck Tales fans something to enjoy reading in these quiet times. :')
Old 08-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
One last thing ... Strangely, there's no sign of Magica De Spell! This is pretty shocking, seeing as she's one of the few characters who shows up in both the original comics and the 1980s TV series! Considering the OP credits' heavy focus on Scrooge's Number One Dime and Magica's obsession with it, it's so strange that she'd be missing from the OP credits were she to show up eventually in Duck Tales 2017 Season 1. Maybe this is proof they're saving her for Season 2? Or maybe it's sad proof that she's been cut from the series? We'll have to see. Cutting out Magica De Spell, though, is almost as unimaginable as cutting out Flintheart Glomgold or the Beagle Boys, so ... I dunno! (She's just gotta be here by the end of S2!)

Wow. Long post is long. Here's hoping it gives my fellow Duck Tales fans something to enjoy reading in these quiet times. :')

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/07...ego-comic-con/

I just want my Darkwing Duck reboot, dammit.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If she's confirmed for Season 1, then it's pretty weird that they've chosen to fully omit her from the OP credits whilst showcasing a hodgepodge of lesser and greater villains. It's surely a deliberate decision, and might signify that they intend to save her for a big S1 cliffhanger ending. We'll have to see!

I was never a big fan of Darkwing Duck as a kid, but I'm warmer towards its inclusion in the Duck universe as an adult. I will be interested to see, though, how they have Scrooge, Gizmo Duck, and Darkwing Duck all in the same universe without stepping on each other's toes. It could be as simply solved as "Darkwing operates in St. Canard, McDuck and Gizmo Duck patrol Duckburg", but if that's not the 2017 team's intent and they instead plan to have Mr. Mallard taking up residence in Duckburg then we'll have to see how they plan to do it. In the same way that the same town doesn't require both a RoboCop and a Batman, Duckburg doesn't require both a Gizmo Duck and a Darkwing Duck. Then you toss Scrooge into the mix, what with his grand adventuring, and things can become a bit ... crowded , if they're not too careful.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Can't watch it.

It won't be the same without Alan Young.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
No more reboots pls
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
No more reboots pls
Incorrect.

Reboot Animaniacs pls
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #11
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Animaniacs with modern day pop culture references? Yes please.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

IDK webby seems like a fair enough character to me.

Mabel Pines was absolutely not a "I can do everything AND I'm a girl!!!" She was a flawed little spoiled piece of shit and I love her for it. She didn't show herself to be competent AT ALL over the course of the series; what she did show herself to be was bold and socially aggressive, quick to make friends and try new things. Most of the season mirrors Mabel's outward confidence and hidden insecurities with Dipper's outward caution and neuroticism but inner strength and perseverence. They temper each other out, with Mabel learning to let go of her insecurities and allow herself to mature and Dipper learning to be more assertive and confident.

Webby doesn't strike me as a character who "does everything." She seems like she's way too intense for her cousins, puts her all into whatever she's doing, and doesn't seem to be able to match the game that others are playing. Remember that the duck triplets are playing a simple little game of dart guns, and Webby fucking grabs a grappling hook and some night vision goggles, hides on the chandeliers, lays a trap that launches pillows into someone who walks by, and invents a backstory for her character as a grizzled war veteran with PTSD and a massive grudge. It's fully possible that the writers can spin off a realistic character out of that who may be too imaginative and intense for their own good.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

The quacks are back!

First ep impressions:

It's very cute. There's definitely a lot of fun, high-paced energy. I smiled/laughed at a lot of the nephews' antics trying to get to know their great-uncle, and all the little references to the original series.

"Do children still like marbles?" lol. Also the lamp and "gold sun" coin in the garage. \o/

I wasn't expecting the premiere to be a two-parter, so it was cool we got to see the gang go on their first expedition to Atlantis. It's funny since I remember when they visited Atlantis in the original during a story arc that also involved a competition between Scrooge and Glomgold.

No fishpeople/helpful dolphins here though. (Although it definitely gave a lot of "Finding Nemo" vibes towards the end. XP)

My biggest complaint so far would be Donald's voice, since it's so hard to make out what he's saying. I know he's supposed to be that way, but the first few minutes were frustrating for being utterly incomprehensible. Him being a doting dad is adorable though. <3

I meant to mention earlier: I adore Mrs. Beakley's voice. I wasn't sure about her becoming a buff "tough love" type/taking over Duckworth's role from design alone, but hearing her dry delivery in the new trailer sold me. It's got that strictness/sarcasm, but also a motherly warmth to it. I love that she doesn't take shit from her employer either.

When he handed her the pen and paper and told her to start making a list, I was wondering why she wasn't writing at first and thought it was just lazy animation. But then she just says she's not his secretary and fires the pen straight back at him like a dart. Holy shit.

Launchpad is still a lovable goofball and definitely has some of the best comedic timing. I felt really bad for him when they reached the temple though. ^^; Even for slapstick, that's pretty harsh.

Webby does feel a bit over-the-top, although I like the explanation that she's been so sheltered her whole life she's pretty much adopted this wild, imaginative personality in order to find ways to amuse herself. It's interesting that the boys are actually a little afraid of her at first rather than going "ew girl", but do quickly become "best friends" with her and want to teach her the ways of getting into trouble instead of ignoring/excluding her.

David Tennant as Scrooge is great. 'Nuff said. (Even though I don't know anything about the guy/Doctor Who, but he seems to be filling Alan Young's flipper... sock... sandal things pretty well. Edit- According to this they're called "spats". The more you know.)

P.S. Dat GF-esque reveal at the end. Could see it coming a mile away, but still nice to have an overarching mystery to look forward to unraveling.

Also the intro gave me a weird Wind Waker feel.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 08-12-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished watching this. I've got a lot of things to say later after a second viewing. But for right now, the No.1 thing I've gotta say is ...

(from a conversation with Yuki on August 1)

CALLED IT!

... At least, that's what the series premiere's ending hints at. There's still no confirmation, and plenty of room for me to yet be wrong. But it's lookin' pretty likely that the boys' mother was one part of a trio of adventurers -- Scrooge, Donald, and Della -- and that something happened to her on one of their adventures, resulting in the boys' being adopted by Donald and Donald's falling out with Scrooge.

Will write more soon. For now ... 8/10, quite the enjoyable series premiere but like a lot of modern kid shows (and especially Disney ones) it is super frenetic.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
dirkac
uhhhhh

Got around to watching it and yeah I am very much a fan. A little bit too fast paced for my liking but what have you.

>Flintheart
Apparently he is a Boer like he is in the comics, but acts as a not!Scot to upstage Scrooge.

>Della
Well that was surprising to say the least. When it gocused on the picutre I figured that the flap would hide something but having Della confirmed to actually be relevant is uh
It's something alright.
Neat to see her in aviation uniform to contrast Donald's. Makes me feel as if it may tie in to the Dutch comic (the only one as far as I know where Della actually ended up having a relevant speaking role) and being space-bound.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
Got around to watching it and yeah I am very much a fan. A little bit too fast paced for my liking but what have you.

>Della
Well that was surprising to say the least. When it gocused on the picutre I figured that the flap would hide something but having Della confirmed to actually be relevant is uh
It's something alright.
Neat to see her in aviation uniform to contrast Donald's. Makes me feel as if it may tie in to the Dutch comic (the only one as far as I know where Della actually ended up having a relevant speaking role) and being space-bound.
I'd read comments regarding this, one saying in the "source material" that it's revealed

the boys' mother is an astronaut on a deep space mission expecting to come home to infant sons because she forgot about time dilation

The other one I saw specifically mentioned the "Dutch comics", and speculated that

Della is trapped on the moon, given Donald brought up the "Spear of Selene".

I gather these two are probably referring to the same comic which lends credibility to both the theory and the comics canon, though I haven't been able to find a direct source for the latter. Any chance you have a link?

P.S. The pilot thing kinda makes want to

Future-ship her with Launchpad. *shot* Imagine if he became the boys' foster father though. XP Then he'd really be part of the family~
Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #17
dirkac
uhhhhh

Yeah, those are referring to the same comic.
It was the 80th anniversary strip in the Netherlands back in 2014.
I have it, actually, so I can scan it in when I return home.
I very much doubt the exact nature of it will be ported directly over since it very much does not line up with the show's apparent continuity, but considering Selene and the aviation background being there I assume a similar astronomical route will be taken.

della duck-mcquack aviator astronaut adventurer

Last edited by dirkac; 08-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment