UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Chess 2

Eurogamer reports.

This is an interesting article which, if the game should manage to catch on -- doubtful, but y'never know -- will rock the very foundation of the chess world forever.

I feel like Sirlin may be overreaching with his three changes. One change alone might have sufficed to spice the game up. But Sirlin introduces three new elements in his Chess 2:
  • the idea of a "midline invasion" victory condition where if the player can move his king up four rows then he wins the game
  • the idea of six different armies to choose from, with one being the traditional army and the five others being new armies that have certain merits and demerits setting them apart from the standard army
  • the idea of "duels" between two individual chess pieces
Any one of these is likely to be a hard sell with the international community, but Sirlin's ambitiously going for all three at once. We'll just have to see how many chess pros pick it up vs. how many laugh it off as the foolishness of a man whose claim to fame is Street Fighter.

I don't play much chess, but I have to admit that the idea of different armies to play with sounds very cool to me. I'm a fan of fighters. I love franchises like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, and Fate/stay night which all explore this idea of "Anyone could theoretically win -- but who's it gonna be?" that you see in fighters. Seeing that show up in chess is exciting to me. It makes Chess 2 feel like it has something in common with a game of Magic: the Gathering. Are we going to watch Red take on Green tonight? Or maybe Blue take on White? Or how about Black vs. Black? Those sorts of questions are nonsensical for the chess we have today. But for Chess 2? They're exactly the questions Sirlin is hoping players will excitedly be asking themselves and each other before every game they play or spectate.

I think the part of the article I find most fascinating though is the bit early on where they talk about how chess is an evolving game, about how many of the special moves we know about today were inventions of earlier times which came long after the first games of chess were played, and about how we've stifled that evolution for the past 150 years. We see this same phenomenon in many other areas of our lives as well (the written word comes to mind as one prominent example) and it makes me wonder if we're heading towards a great culture bursting point in the next 50 to 150 years.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-10-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: corrected 21 to 6; thanks to Copygoo
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

There aren't 21 different armies; there are six different armies, but the result is 21 different possible matchups.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copygoo View Post
There aren't 21 different armies; there are six different armies, but the result is 21 different possible matchups.
Right, sorry about that mistake.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I like the sound of it quite a lot, if it comes out on Steam I'll give it a go at some point.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Mercutio
Banned

It sounds like Gen VI. Overdesigned. Interesting stuff though, could be pretty great.

EDIT: No wait that duelling thing is dumb.

Last edited by Mercutio; 12-10-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Interesting. I've been considering those ideas as part of a story about chess, but I haven't considered implementing them into an actual game. I'll try it out as long as it isn't expensive.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It's free: while he can try to make money off of a video game version, he can't keep people from playing with their home sets. Nor does it seem like he's intended to: it sounds like most of the sample games they played with professional players were done with real chess sets, not the computer game.

Honestly, I think the midline invasion rule all by itself is enough to revolutionize the game, palpable at both the beginner and expert levels of play. While I like the different flavors of armies idea, I feel like Sirlin is trying to sell the chess community on too many ideas all at once. Keep chess the way it is but add the midline invasion rule. That should be enough to have dramatic effects on the game. Shorter games, more aggressive offense, much more aggressive defense, and a real sense of needing to defend an entire half of the board rather than just the two back rows.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

So the dueling thing... the way I'm understanding it is that if I attempt to take one of your pieces and you put up more stones than I do, your piece survives and mine is a goner? That doesn't seem right, I have to be misunderstanding, because that seems dumb. I am a fan of the midline invasion though for sure. I'd have to try out different armies before making a real judgment on those, but the idea sounds interesting enough.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Each of those changes seem profoundly dumb to me.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh hey this guy. I consider his article on Yomi in high regard, and he's the one who inspired me to read Sun Tzu to upstep my gaming.

Agreeing that all three at once is kinda a bit much. Number one or two seem like they'd be really fun, but not as much a fan of the third one (which is kinda ironic, coming from me).
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Mid line invasion, while great, is a tad unrealistic considering the game's basis off of a combat simulation, something like end line invasion would be infinitely better and far less ridiculous. Dueling is also weird and unneeded. But rosters seems like a good call and makes the starting game a little less mirror-y
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment