UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Darmanitan Shiny hunting

I've been a Shiny hunter for many years now, but I generally don't see a lot of talk about Shiny hunting going on around here. So yeah- as the link in my signature indicates, I got 203 Shinies to my name (though in all fairness, the Haxorus and Garchomp are the guaranteed Shinies from Black 2- I count those but not the Red Gyarados because unlike the Red Gyarados, you had to work for these). Latest of which is a Shiny Gliscor I caught as a Gligar in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness not 24 hours ago. I'm particularly proud of this one- my Rock Poké Spot hunt went on for three years (though I did take my fair share of breaks). In fact, had it not happened until the 25th of this month, it'd be three years to the date. It took me 11,211 wild encounters and 1,230 Munchlax encounters, and it also took me a while before I learned that you could soft reset for Poké Spot encounters (the trick is to save the game just one step before the Spot Monitor goes off- tricky to pull off, but it really accelerates the process).

Of course, there's stories behind most of my other Shinies as well, but I'll get into them another time. For now, anyone who wants to talk Shiny hunting, this is the place for it. Me, personally, I'm not sure what my next hunt will be. Giving consideration to Minior, but not sure just yet.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

all of my shinys have been entirely random:
X: woobat, dedene
sun: carbink

Thanks to my best friend Missingno Master for the banner
óÓŇň furry, witch, and pansexual.
Little (little age of 2-4)
Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
crazy in love with my boyfriend AcendedDailga
kawaiiconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Will you be SOS chaining the Minior? May I suggest a Smeargle with Self-Destruct and Imprison?
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Will you be SOS chaining the Minior? May I suggest a Smeargle with Self-Destruct and Imprison?
I'd be considering it, except Minior can't call for help. And if it could, I already have a level 100 Damp Parasect with False Swipe that I would use- I'm actually considering breeding for the Shiny Minior, using any of my 7 EV trained Minior. I actually used that Parasect to catch the various different Minior I needed for that breeding project.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Heather
Naga's Voice

>Shiny hunting
Safari Hunting got me Pascal the Dustox (as a cascoon but still), but it also got me 4 shiny Braixen when I was going for shiny Slugma.

I'm considering doing the Karp trick to get myself a golden Stufful, that does work in SuMo, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
The Karp trick works, but only for 50/50 gender ratios. No idea if Stufful's in that group or no.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
dirkac
uhhhhh

I generally don't Shiny Hunt, but I did do it twice in my Moon File when I got to Ula'Ula for the ifrst time.

13000 Eggs for a Shiny Cutiefly and 4000 Eggs for 3IV (with 8 attack cri) Adamant Shiny Minior

and honestly that first one has really made me never want to shiny hunt again, even with karp trick

If I do feel like ever doing it again though, I am definitely going with either Morelull or Mareanie because they are amazing

Oh yeah I used to do a Shiny Surskit Breeding every Gen since Emerald but I haven't done it in SM yet
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I got a Shiny Salandit today after 77 SOS encounters. And it's a female, too! Male Cute Charm Sylveon was a huge help with this.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I'm going to attempt chain breeding to get a shiny Mimikyu for my Moon playthrough. I finally got a Destiny Knot.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
sakon14
Pokemon Trainer

Immense respect for the dedication it took to get that XD gligar. My most recent shiny was a gold Geodude from Mt. Moon on my crystal version.
sakon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So, in order to try and free up some space on my New Nintendo 3DS XL's SD card, I bought a physical copy of Pokémon Y, and once I get it, I will be deleting the digital copy I downloaded. As this means my old save file is gonna be erased as well, I decided to try for one last Shiny in it- Goomy. Via Poké Radar. I've never had any success with Poké Radar chaining in Gen VI, and I want to give it a shot before I lose the only Gen VI save file on which I actually have the Poké Radar. But yeah, I've tried chaining for Shinies before, only success was a Shiny Carnivine on my birthday several years ago- and I was trying for Goomy. Carnivine came from a non-sparkling patch as I was trying to start up a new chain!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
So I've been foraying into the land of RNG manipulation on my copy of Emerald, and I'm pleased that I've gotten some results~

This morning, after a few attempts, Groudon shined for me! It is my second RNG shiny after my Feebas that I had bred last week. It feels so good to figure this out man!

Still on the hunt for a shiny spinarak egg. though that project's been on again-off again between trying to complete the Hoenn dex and other such distractions.

Spoiler: show
Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
dirkac
uhhhhh

Now get the Shiny Hidden Ability Level 5 Gen IV Mons off of Dream Radar
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #14
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

I don't even own Dream Radar

Quote:
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Are Shinies from Dream Radar even possible? I never did look into that.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

I've taken a look, it seems it's not possible to obtain shinies through dream radar. which is both a shame and not a shame really - imagine how long that would take!

Quote:
Quote:
#still
#fucking
#salty

Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Yeah, I get it. It'd be cool for it to be possible, but definitely not the most efficient option for Shiny hunting. Of course, this from the guy who spent almost three years Shiny hunting in XD.

The hunt in Y has been put on hold, by the way- my new copy arrived, and I'm doing a Nuzlocke in it. And currently on my team is a male Combee. Very interested to see just how long he'll last.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
Heather
Naga's Voice

A long while ago, my stubborn ass resolved to get a shiny Stufful. About 650 hatches later, no luck, and my focus drifted away. Today I decided to free up the file and do a half dragon half dark prebuilt team run. While breeding the mons...

This happened.

I literally jumped out of my chair I was so hype. Adamant Sheer Force, too-could not have asked for better without getting into actual IV breeding which I'm not equipped for. Everybody, say hello to the first Alola-born Shiny I actually got my hands on, Iroh the Jasmine Druddigon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So I'm raising this thread from the dead (on Halloween, of all days!) to inform you all that I am currently hunting for Shiny Manaphy.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #20
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So this happened.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #21
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So I was playing Emerald, and I was catching stuff pretty diligently for the Pokédex, because in order to transfer stuff in from Pokémon Box, you had to have at least 100 registered as caught, and I wanted to be able to do that. So, I was in the Safari Zone. I know, a great sentence to be saying in a Shiny hunting thread, right? Anyway, I had just caught a Pikachu, which was the last thing in the Safari Zone I was realistically shooting for. And I decided that, with my remaining steps and balls, I might as well go back to the Mach Bike area, because Dodrio appear there, I didn't have one, figured I might as well see if I could get another dex entry as long as I was there. What could go wrong?

Yeah. Lemme put this into perspective here. Dodrio has a catch rate of 45, putting it in good company of such Safari Zone terrors as Kangaskhan, Scyther, Pinsir, Tauros, and Dratini. I had no Pokéblocks to keep it from fleeing, and I do not mess around with rocks or moving closer or mud or any of that, least of all where Shinies are concerned. And Safari Balls are pretty much just Great Balls with camouflage. So I was left to throw essentially Great Balls at something at full health with a low catch rate that could flee every time it breaks free of a ball and I could do precisely nothing about it. That is a Shiny hunter's nightmare right there.

...five balls later, I fucking catch the thing. It was extremely tense, but the feeling of relief when that Safari Ball clicked shut! It was amazing luck on my part- and I had actually gotten a Shiny Zigzagoon in that same game just one day prior. So in the span of two days, I not only got two 1/8192 Shinies, but one of them was an honest-to-Arceus Safari Zone success story. Just...Wow/

This was earlier in the week. I've already beaten Emerald since then. Enjoy a pic of my Emerald team that got me through it (including the Zigzagoon who hung out on the team before I got all six party members and helped out with HMs and Pickup), and the two Shinies I found along the way.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Do you all breed for perfect IVs before hatching shiny Pokemon?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #23
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Do you all breed for perfect IVs before hatching shiny Pokemon?
Sometimes. A good chunk of my hatched Shinies were actually unintended while simply breeding for good IVs. Hell, my Shiny Arcanine, I hatched it in Emerald when I traded in my Arcanine from FireRed and bred it to get Growlithe's dex entry. The one Egg hatched Shiny. Bad nature, bad IVs, and I don't even care.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:47 PM   #24
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Well, this happened a little while ago!
Old 08-02-2021, 05:43 AM   #25
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It's not a shiny Missingno but it's nice. Congrats.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON