UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #401
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn View Post
HOLY CRAP WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS FACE and the budget AND THE ANIMATION QUALITY
IKR!?!? Like how are they going to explain why his face is like that?

But anyway I'm really sad about XYZ ending. It's my favorite season and I have so many memories of like watching it 3 years ago when I was like 9 or 10 or whatever. I would sit infront of the TV and get so excited about new episodes. And also back in autumn/winter of 2014 I would watch it every night and then play outside and pretend I was Serena XD. It's still gonna be my favorite season forever and it has a special place in my heart.

I can't believe how much I've gotten tied to this anime lol...
Old 09-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #402
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Unpopular opinion, go!

I kinda like it.
I'm indifferent.

That art style tends to lead to better animation because it's less detailed and stylized. I've seen similar looks before in Mamoru Hosoda works and Naruto episodes.

That said, most people don't care about animation, instead preferring a stylized art style. I think the killer for otaku is the cute girls aren't so cute in Alola than they are in XY.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #403
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
the cute girls aren't so cute in Alola than they are in XY.

sore wa chigau yo
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #404
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

> cute girls in XY

- "Aww thats so nice Dopple, you're pretty handsome yourself! Maybe... maybe we could be more than friends?"
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #405
deoxys
Fog Badge

Upcoming Japanese episode titles.

Spoiler: show

941 One Last Battle with Ash! Serena's Choice!!
942 Farewell, Ash-Greninja! Xerosic Strikes Back!!
943 A Zero With No End! Till the Day We Meet Again!!

eugh.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #406
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ash Ketchum is a heavyweight boxer.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #407
satosere
Cascade Badge

ASH FREAKING GRABBED SERENA'S HAND FFGJYGNVCSSWFSAHJOOOMNJMTTVEADBFGG

Sorry I'm just freaking out about this so much

Like I really, REALLY want them to hug or kiss or something like that before Serena leaves, cuz then I can die happy
Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #408
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satosere View Post
Like I really, REALLY want them to hug or kiss or something like that before Serena leaves, cuz then I can die happy
At this point, they might as well go all the way.

I mean it's been what, 3 months since Ash entered Kalos? Most relationships are already rolling by then.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #409
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
At this point, they might as well go all the way.

I mean it's been what, 3 months since Ash entered Kalos? Most relationships are already rolling by then.
Are you sure it's only been three months? It seems waaay longer than that....
Old 10-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #410
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Are you sure it's only been three months? It seems waaay longer than that....
You would think, but this has ways been a problem with the anime. Consider that Ash is still considered to be ten years old, and yet he has now managed to journey through 6 different regions, including Kanto twice, Orange Islands, and the islands from Best Wishes' filler before XY. Just to do 6 regions within his entire 40th year alone means he would have to have been in each region for only two months at a time, which is why it's frankly eye roll inducing they would still continue to push this narrative that he's 10. Maybe he'll finally turn 11 to go to school in Alola.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #411
dirkac
uhhhhh

Tge funny thing is Ash's birthday has been celebrated on two different occasions already

Personal theory is Ash suffers from dementia
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #412
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
You would think, but this has ways been a problem with the anime. Consider that Ash is still considered to be ten years old, and yet he has now managed to journey through 6 different regions, including Kanto twice, Orange Islands, and the islands from Best Wishes' filler before XY. Just to do 6 regions within his entire 40th year alone means he would have to have been in each region for only two months at a time, which is why it's frankly eye roll inducing they would still continue to push this narrative that he's 10. Maybe he'll finally turn 11 to go to school in Alola.
Yeah well in one point in the anime (I'm not exactly sure when) maybe in Kanto, Ash tells Pikachu that "This is the day we first met. The day we first became friends." Which means it's been a year.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #413
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Yeah well in one point in the anime (I'm not exactly sure when) maybe in Kanto, Ash tells Pikachu that "This is the day we first met. The day we first became friends." Which means it's been a year.
Yeah that was the Pichu Brothers special before the third movie. Most fans don't see it as canon, if only because it contradicts every other time Ash or someone else says that he is still ten. He'd have to be eleven for that to be true.

Personally I think he is a 30 year old man and gym badges are his fountain of youth
Old 10-13-2016, 11:30 PM   #414
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

My theory is Ash sold his father's soul to be transported to the world of Pokémon and given eternal youth. A stupid and poorly-thought-out plan, yes, but then, he's never exactly been the brightest Starmie core in the sea, has he?
Old 10-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #415
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

It was however a great fanfic to read
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #416
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm still mad.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #417
deoxys
Fog Badge

Holy shit they actually did it.

^^^ BIG spoilers for the newest episode/XYZ finale...!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #418
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

YES!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #419
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Explains why he suddenly looks younger in the SM anime. She sucked like five years out of him.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #420
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Oh my god

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #421
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's ambiguous guys, the escalator pulls her away just as she's leaning forward.

Ash also gives the stereotypical dumb reaction. I think it it was a legit kiss he'd be a puddle of mush by now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #422
Torkoal Stu
This

'Spoilers' regarding what Deo posted:

I love that this is the ultimate trolling of the animé fanbase by the writers. Like having that scene, and then a second later we can watch as Serena to fades into obsecurity and the whole thing to basically be written out of continuity when we more or less never see her again. I know people will say 'she'll have a return arc like Misty etc did', except Iris didn't at all. She and Cilan appeared in like one special, and neither had Ash in. XY seemed very continuity-shy in comparrison to previous series'. Not to mention we haven't had references to Misty/May/Dawn for a while now either. Furthermore Sun And Moon looks more continuity reboot-y than any animé previously has been. Not to mention the entire knock on effect of pissing off Misty, May, Dawn and Iris fans in the process of that one scene.

It's almost like between this and Ash losing the league they genuinely give no fucks any more anyway.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #423
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Holy shit they actually did it.

^^^ BIG spoilers for the newest episode/XYZ finale...!
You saying this all but gave away what it was. When I saw this post, no one else had responded yet, and I went ahead and blocked out the thread until I got a chance to watch the episode raw. Sure enough ...

The kiss. The most obvious interpretation of your words. So yeah ... keep that in mind next time.

Anyway ... as for thoughts on the thing you're referring to:

I would have preferred a kiss-less confession ("I love you") to a confession-less kiss on the cheek. Obviously my mind goes to a kiss on the lips, as I think do most fans', but because of the cut-away there really is no way to prove whether they exchanged a mouth-to-mouth kiss, whether she simply kissed him on the cheek, or whether -- as Doppel points out -- she did anything else. (Whispered in his ear? Fell forward after leaning up to adjust his hat? Other?)

Still, the implied kiss is nice. It's a nice gesture that Serena finally confesses (particularly if it's a kiss on the lips) and that Ash is forced to register her true feelings towards him.

As for thoughts on the episode's sneak peek for the Sun & Moon series ...

Holy balls the animation looks awful. Some people have attempted to defend the animation, saying that the new studio has traded off cleanliness for motion. I.e. the new anime does a lot of expensive animation, i.e. movement depicted through pictures, whereas the old studio did a lot of expensive painting, i.e. stationary pictures that look pretty but don't move. But even if that's true ... frankly, I don't care. It looks awful. It may be technically superior in the motion department, but none of that matters if it looks like a low-budget cartoon from a no-name 1990s animation studio. And holy crap does it look that bad. Don't blame it on the style. Don't blame it on the budget. At the end of the day, the Sun & Moon anime looks really, really visually unappealing in my opinion. If it doesn't in yours, great.

Will I watch it? Well, like I've said before -- I'll give it five episodes. I've already soft-decided that I'm going to drop the series, but I will try my best to keep an open mind and give it five full episodes worth of chances to impress me. What the new anime lacks in animation, it may more than make up for in story, music, voice acting, and general amusement. I'm willing to at least give it that chance.

AK2 tells me that the new anime is done by a new animation team, i.e. not the ShoPro team who's given us the show up through now. I feel like you can see proof of that in how they decided to endcard this episode -- "And to our own way." That specific wording doesn't convey what alternative messages like "Until we meet again" might. Instead, it really does feel like the animators are, as politely and contractually permissible as possible, declaring their break-up with the Pokémon powers that be and are trying to bookmark, for posterity, that this is where the old studio resigns and the new studio takes over.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #424
deoxys
Fog Badge

Naruto has already proven that trading cleanliness for motion doesn't always work. For example:

Two of my friends already have said "It looks really good! The style change means higher frame rate and more intense battles!" While I don't disagree that that is objectively true, it does not mean the end result is good.

I think one of my biggest issues that I have with this change personally, is the younger, more "rounded" look they gave Ash. If they had kept the same design, but changed the animation type itself, perhaps I wouldn't have such issue with it. So, for me, I think my biggest overall problem is the aesthetically different direction they are taking the anime, not necessarily the quality itself.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #425
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I wasn't around for that Pain scene. My memories of Naruto are that it was a mostly lower-mid budget show with the occasionally really good-looking scene. My go-to one, the one I always remember and cherish above all the rest, is the fight at the Valley of the End that concludes Series 1. Looking back at that scene, it exemplifies the idea of "motion over shine done right." I remember it being a lot more polished, a lot sharper than it is ... but I my memories are mostly of things that move, and all of those are just as I remember them, motion-wise at least.

The part where Fox Naruto literally screams a fire attack of Sasuke's away ... the part where they land on the upright logs in water and balance atop them ... the part where Naruto's neck is snapped and his broken body begins to tumble down the side of the cliff ... That entire fight is really, really well animated, i.e. it does a really, really nice job of entertaining us with motion.

As for having to choose between motion and polish, Carnival Phantasm did a really good job of educating viewers on the principle of animation budgeting. If you don't know what I'm talking about, click the link and watch the first minute and thirty-five seconds. They're the first two sneak peeks bookends of Carnival Phantasm. The first one shows you how beautiful you can animate something provided the time and money. (And of course it's still not even that good compared against, say, a Miyazaki movie.) It features both motion and polish. The second one then shows you the consequences of such reckless spending, with neither motion nor polish looking very good because yeah sorry we spent all the money. Meanwhile, most things in the segment look well-polished (nothing spectacular, but still) while barely moving at all. Ilya even comments on this for herself in Part 2, pointing out how Taiga's not the only one paying for Taiga's behavior in Part 01 but at least the animators were nice enough to give Ilya a little polish (at the expense of just about any motion whatsoever). The idea here is basically, "You can have either polish or motion but not both -- not unless you're willing to forego both later on."

But this somewhat feels a tangent to me now, so let's pull back a tad. Rather than focusing on "polish + motion now, neither later," let's re-focus on "polish vs. motion: which do I prioritize?" It's not as though shows with a lot of polish forego motion entirely. It's just that they tend to be less motion-filled than their action counterparts. Polished action is really hard to come by without a big budget. That's why it's always such a treat. Examples that come to mind of non-stop polish and action rolled into one include:
  • Kyoto Animation's Kanata no Kyoukai. Horrible story though it was, the animation was ridiculous. Beautiful motion constantly. Not beautiful static. Not ugly motion. Beautiful motion. All the goddamn time. It was nuts.
  • ufotable's Fate/Zero. A pretty widely recognized entry in this contest. To be fair, I think Fate/Zero oscillates between three states, of which one is not so hot. Those three states are 1) gorgeous but no motion, 2) really pretty with tons of motion, and then 3) surprisingly bad looking O_o and also with very little motion O-o;. It's kinda like they wanted to do all 1 and all 2 all the time but because these things cost money and even they might not have amassed enough, they had to bust out 3 in order to make 1 and 2 possible as much as they were. And to be fair, 3 is pretty rare.
  • Madhouse's Hunter x Hunter. But this one is deceptive! Because there's really deceptively little motion in Hunter x Hunter. The show, I think, gets to look as pretty as it does because most of the time is spent on still frames or on characters barely moving. This allows for the seamless transition between gorgeous no-motion to gorgeous motion whenever we have our epic fight scenes. You don't notice the sleight of hand and you think the show always gorgeously motion-ful, always. But it's not, really. :') It's always gorgeous ... but only motion-ful 10% of the time. Basically, Madhouse did what I kinda wish ufotable would've done but oh well. :') It's thanks to ufotable's choices that we got some of the most gorgeous animated cels in television anime to date.
  • Madhouse's One Punch Man. Though this I haven't seen enough of, so I'm a little hesitant to weigh in. But from the two episodes I did see of it, I feel like this is the studio's answer to any "behind the magic" aha gotcha moments I might be having at their expense with Hunter x Hunter.
Everything else I'm thinking of is either too light on the action to even be considered "non-stop action" (e.g. the exquisite Nagi no Asu kara with its gorgeous, gorgeous imagery) or else simply isn't pretty enough (e.g. Angelic Layer, though pretty decent for its time still).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime