UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #251
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I thought that was just you being redundant for no reason, but they have actually set a release date for the release date. What in the world
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #252
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

What is this the WWE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #253
Connor
Flashbacker

lol.

In other news anyone interested in/have already played FF Explorers? I am considering investing but did not particularly like Monster Hunter when I tried it so I want to know if the combat variations deviate enough from hack and slash to be worth me spending Ł30 on this.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #254
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta pre-reg is open now and already over half the target donations have been met.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #255
Emi

Damn that's pretty popular.

Too bad I can't donate.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #256
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Final Fantasy XII remaster confirmed!

Here's to hoping that when it eventually comes over to the west that they managed to somehow uncompressed that audio.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:03 AM   #257
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Four Job Fiesta's been up and running for a little while now! I went for a Random Run this year, so I can get any job from any of the crystals I've unlocked so far.

This might have backfired on me. I've rolled Blue Mage (great!), White Mage (great!), Monk (ehhhh) aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Berserker (Gilgabot is literally laughing at me).

help
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #258
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Why wasn't this guy hired to make Final Fantasy music?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #259
Emi

This is it, I'm not sure if I could ever get any better at this game than this.

(Better being "Get 3 Rune Staffs and spam the fuck out of them" but really, its the designers fault for making them guaranteed drops).
Old 10-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #260
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So after 10 years, I have finally beaten Final Fantasy XII. I figured it was a good time to dust off my old PS2 and replay it. Sure, there's a remake coming along, but fuck paying $60 for a game I already own.

It's a pretty good game. I don't know why I didn't care much for it. When I began the game, I was thrilled at all of the things I could do. I wasn't just limited to one path. There were several areas I could explore at the very beginning of the game. The absence of random battles was also nice. The gambit system seemed like auto-battling, but you often found yourself in situations where you had to intervene against your own ai, so it didn't feel like the game was playing itself.

My enthusiasm slowly died as I got further through the game. Everything was becoming more tedious and grindy. Hell, I spent an entire day getting a fucking weapon. Though that fucking weapon tore through everything like butter, so I guess it was worth it. Also after a while, the whole license board kind of gets filled up, so there's not that much difference between characters. By the time I got through Pharos, I just decided to quickly end it and play something else.

I don't understand is how I had difficulty in Bahamut. I tore through everything like it was a joke. Sure, ultimate weapons and whatnot, but I remember Bahamut being the point I got tired of the game and put it down. Vayne was also a fucking joke. Your nanomachines are nothing against a weapon that takes an entire day's material grinding and enough money to buy yourself through the game to obtain!

I want to play through Final Fantasy VI sometime. I remember enjoying the hell out of it, but that was a very long time ago.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #261
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Conan O'Brien samples FFXV.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Oh hey I forgot we had a topic like this (if I knew we ever had one to begin with).

BPK has been recommending Final Fantasy VI to me. I dislike VI, having grown up a hater, and I enjoyed FF I, which was the first game I actually played.

I don't know much about VI. Please talk about it!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #263
Chalis
Activating Rampage

It has great story, and the characters are all fun to use.

Plus it has great music c:

It's just really good (if you don't mind SNES stuff). Probably my favorite FF.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #264
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I need to replay VI. I remember enjoying it the most out of the SNES/NES titles. Though I was apparently satisfied by any JRPG back when I played it.

I'm curious about World of Final Fantasy. After seeing the Kingdom Hearts character designs of the two main characters, I started to show some interest. It seems like it's just a cheap nostalgia grab, but I hope it's more.

Speaking of familiar character designs, I know I've seen the design of the little chibi Final Fantasy characters before. I'm sure I can somehow trace it back to Touhou.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #265
Emi

FFVI is, in my opinion, the very best of all the FF titles. It performs really well in a lot of ways: its graphically very nice (although I'm a sprite lover), the music is pretty great, the story is solid, very few characters feel underdeveloped, and the gameplay is pretty top notch.

It has its flaws: the really good parts of the game (such as the team battles) happen very rarely, the end game like all FFs is pretty arguably terrible (avoid anything involving the word "Ultima") gameplay wise, and some characters are very large gimmicks that require a lot of time to make worthwhile. It's not that they aren't useful, they're just...not as useful as the best of the bunch.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #266
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I'm curious about World of Final Fantasy. After seeing the Kingdom Hearts character designs of the two main characters, I started to show some interest. It seems like it's just a cheap nostalgia grab, but I hope it's more.
I bought the game when it released, and I'm still playing it. It's a whole lot of fun. and its very clear that the localisers had a lot of fun with it, nearly every mirage entry is a joke or full of puns, and the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

WoFF is defs a nostalgia grab, and its awesome seeing characters that you know and love appear in the game especially when you get to summon them, but it isn't a cheap one. It was obvs made by the B-team over at SE, but it is a game that feels like it was made with actual care behind it.

The gameplay is easy as hell, you will very rarely die to enemies (unless you are like me and forgot to take your hand off the fast forward button), but that's alright, cause it means that you can customise your stacks with the most adorable mirages instead of the best ones.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:11 AM   #267
dirkac
uhhhhh

Replayed II Dawn of Souls recently and uh

I honestly have to say that this is among my favourites now.
First time I played I had like no idea what I was doing so I got totally lost but now that I actually get what to do its actually really fun.

But also super easy to break since a 15 minute grind at the start of the game to get a Toad Tome got me to completely stomp the rest of the game.
Drain and Osmose are also opaf
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #268
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I love the fact that there's a version of FF2 where you can exploit a glitch to Toad the final boss.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #269
Char
Banned

Pre-ordered FFXV on Amazon - not sure when I'll get a chance to play it
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #270
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I received my copy of Backstreet Fantasy. I'm not sure why, but I felt the need to preorder the deluxe edition. I'm guessing I did it because it was a year away. I don't know when I will start playing it.

I originally had no intention on buying FFXV, but I saw a LP on a demo, and it looked awesome.

EDIT: Fuck yeah! I start the game and it automatically asks me for voice language. Atleast I don't have to pay extra for original audio!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-04-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #271
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

3 hours of dicking around into it. Just jumping into the game, and I am given many opportunities to do other things. The map for the first area is pretty damn large. The cool thing is that messing around is rewarding. Almost everything gives you LP and EXP. The hunts actually give you a decent amount of money, so they're actually worth your time.

For the story...I don't know yet! I have been so busy dicking around that I haven't noticed anything called a "story"!

Noctis's VA is taking some getting used to. He's generally plays more mature and dickish characters, so listening to his voice coming from Sasuke is throwing me off.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #272
Char
Banned

Played ~8 hours over the weekend. Mostly doing side quests and stuff, exploring open world. Realized I did not get my Day 1 Amazon DLC, had to reinstall it all and it appeared after (really useful early game - less useful for where I am now).

I like the game - it was good to watch the backstory videos beforehand. Thinking I need to watch the movie as well before continuing playing.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #273
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm about 40 hours into Backstreet Fantasy. I think I'm about halfway through. So far, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Almost the entirety of the time I spent is doing sidequests. Sadly, the main story bits are pretty short. If I spent all of my time just doing main quests, I probably would have finished the game 30 hours in. The combat is fun enough to make sidequests not feel so repetitive and dull. Also, why save the world when you can catch yourself a 100lb fish?!

Despite how fun the game is, it has some glaring flaws. If you are given a quest to kill a behemoth 20 levels above you, the most difficult thing about that quest will be turning it in. The action icon is so damn sensitive and flimsy that actually doing things can be a fucking chore. When the action icon shows up, you will sometimes perform that action, or you'll just jump around several times, because Square felt the need to make the jump button and action button the same damn thing. Also while having a huge world is great, it's not great for getting from one place to the other, especially since there's fucking invisible walls everywhere. There has been a bunch of times where I couldn't just directly cut to the quest icon, because I was blocked by fucking invisible walls. Knee-long fence, or impenetrable barrier?! Actually, I want Bitch Cloud to take a picture of Sasuke leaning against an invisible wall.

Bitching aside, I am glad I bought this. It feels nice to be excited for a game again.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:25 PM   #274
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So I finished Backstreet Fantasy. All-in-all, it was a really fun game. The King's Arms are neat weapons, but they have that irritating health drop. Though later on, that's no big deal. If it weren't for some of the problems that started to show in the later chapters, it would have been near perfect for me. As the game goes on, you're hit with so many bad spells.

Hell, in the endgame (endgame gameplay spoilers)
Spoiler: show
I went to do one of the endgame dungeons. The entire thing was just dirt rooms filled with monsters with beefed up HP. They were easy to kill, but it still took longer than I hoped. Anyway, after two hours of doing the same thing over and over again, I beat the dungeon. The boss wasn't even anything special. Just a large version of a throwaway monster. I leave, and decide to drive using the car's flying feature. Well, when I take off, I HIT A GUARD RAIL AND DIE! I realize I forgot to save, and I had to do that shitty dungeon over again. After realizing the endgame dungeons are like that, I just decided to stop.

To anyone playing, beware chapter 13. When you get there, just be ready.

The day one edition of World of Final Fantasy was $20 off, so I bought that. I'm enjoying it so far. It's certainly not a game for those who needlessly take everything seriously. The stacks make no sense in a realistic sense, but I still like it. It's something fairly new, and it's pretty nice. Capturing monsters and raising them so you can make two super party members.

I am trying to think of some good guys to use. I have had the same jiant team since very early on. The jiant team is better for long boss fights, while the linklin team is better for random encounters. (Mirage spoilers)
Jiant Lann has Tama and Babyhemoth, while Reynn has Floating Eye and Sylph. Both of them have pretty good lasting and consistent damage, but they just don't have enough oomph. Linklin Lann has White Wolf and Holy Dragon, while Reynn has Zapt and Shiva*. Lann is lackluster, but Reynn wipes almost every random encounter. She also does crazy damage to bosses. I plan on using Flan Princess, because she's too cute not to use.

(chapter 11 plot spoilers)
It's nice to see Rydia. I was hoping she could be a champion early on, but she had to get captured. I have yet to see any FF6 characters. TERRA going full-on esper and destroying shit would be nice. Tifa's cowboy hat threw me off when I first saw her. Tifa is a pretty fun character in titles outside of FF7.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #275
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Tr-tr-triple pooooooost fury!

I finished the main story of World of Final Fantasy. It was a pretty fun game, and I still feel like playing the post-game stuff. From start to finish, I've enjoyed trying to find ways to improve my party, and think of combinations. It's just unfortunate that levels in this game mean quite a bit, so any new party members would take an insanely long time to not feel like they're dragging the party down.

Actually is it just me, or are physical attacks weak in this game? I have gotten some high str characters with a bunch of + critical hit nodes filled, but they still do half as much as my other team's simple thunder spell. One thing I like is how low tier spells are never obsolete in this game. In long boss fights, I have my magic team do damage with thunder or blizzard, since it's much more AP efficient than the high tier spells.

In the end of the game my team ended up being (Mirage spoilers)
Linklin Reynn stayed the same as last post. She had Zapt and Shiva*. I managed to catch a Bablizz, and wanted to raise it to a Shiva since it'll eventually be better, but god that takes so long. Shiva* had that +50 mag mastery bonus at lv 55, which Bablizz won't get until around level 90. Also Mishiva is insanely adorable. Zapt seems to be the all-around best S magic user. So many good support and attack spells, with amazing mag and agility.

Lenn's team never caught up. I tried to use Gilgamesh and Firitt to cover the other team's weaknesses. Even when they caught up level-wise, they still did little to nothing in damage compared to the others. It's a shame, because I really liked Gilgamesh in this game. I had him with a Baby Tonberry and Gihidra only doing 1200's critical while Reynn was doing 1500 at the least. Then I decided to just make him a support team with Carbuncle and Seraphie, pumping everything I can into agility. Seraphie is too cool not to use. This team turned out a little better. Reflect helped alot against fire and dark spamming enemies. They also could do decent damage with aero. Post-game I replaced Lann with Quacho Queen, and they're almost as good as the other team.

Finally, I love, love, love the ending credits. I was spoiled on what it was going to be, but I didn't expect it to be so catchy and addicting. (ending credits spoiler)
FF 6 being the only one with more than one representative was satisfying.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games