UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #101
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Not a spoiler, considering you've gotten a dark mage.

Spoiler: show
They didn't nerf Dark, it doesn't exist any more. There's only one kind of magic, and Dark Magic is just tomes (generally with special effects) exclusive to Dark Mages and Sorcerers (and those with the Shadowgift ability but lol).
I really like Flux, if only because of the name and how awesome it is, so I turned Morgan into a Dark Mage. Considering her mother was Lissa, she has INSANE magic. She's a Sorcerer now and just... holy fuck. She's so powerful. I paired her with Inigo, who I made into a Berserker (father was Vaike), and they are unstoppable.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #102
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Speaking of Fire Emblem Awakening, I just finished the Future Past DLC. I figured I'd talk about it because they're actually pretty good DLC chapters. They're all insanely spoiler heavy, but I'll just talk about the maps outside of the spoiler boxes. I did these on Hard with a team of upgraded people with max stats.

The first map was actually fairly difficult. The enemies were strong, and if you didn't bumrush the map, then enemies will jump out of the stairs and kill the people you have to protect. It wasn't too awful bad since almost everyone on my team has galeforce, but I did have to restart several times to memorize the spawn pattern, because if I didn't block the stairs, then I'd have to restart. I forgot to mention that all of the enemies will kill the people you have to protect with one hit. Also everyone has vengeance.

The second map was easier. You had to protect two people as they ran away, and the enemies chasing them aren't that strong. There wasn't anyone with counter, and few mages, so it wasn't bad at all. The map was shaped like an S with everything between it being a ravine. I just had my two fliers team up with someone else with Galeforce and did a galeforce team-up rotation to clear out the enemies. My others really didn't do much.

The third one was a bit difficult. You had to fight an army of pretty strong enemies from all sides. Either fast galeforce clear out or support/tank blocking is required. I think I had to restart twice. Once because an enemy slipped by my team and killed one of the characters I'm supposed to protect, and another because I overestimated one of my characters. Though in this map, you only had to kill the boss to clear it, so if things are getting hairy, then you can just rush through the enemies and kill the boss.

Storywise, it was nice. It was about my favorite group of characters, so of course I enjoyed it. (I'd say don't read this until beating the main story)
Cynthia and Owain were great in the first two chapters. I really liked how the two batty characters actually led the others. Owain was especially good with his quick thinking to do what he thought was best. I just don't like how Morgan was shafted. I was hoping this would give insight on Morgan's amnesia, since he/she played a part in these chapters.

The epilogue was nice and long, which was also a really nice treat. If you have extra money or time, I'd really recommend buying the Future Past DLC. It's a bit light in explanations, but otherwise really nice.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #103
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

So, about Fire Emblem (GBA)... I absolutely love it, gotta thank you guys for helping me out with my first take on the franchise!

Now, I'm up to Chapter 18 (and only now figured out Supports :P), and something's bugging me... is it just me, or is Eliwood kinda terrible as a unit? Unless I'm completely missing the point, which is likely since this is my first time playing FE.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #104
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
So, about Fire Emblem (GBA)... I absolutely love it, gotta thank you guys for helping me out with my first take on the franchise!

Now, I'm up to Chapter 18 (and only now figured out Supports :P), and something's bugging me... is it just me, or is Eliwood kinda terrible as a unit? Unless I'm completely missing the point, which is likely since this is my first time playing FE.
If you're consulting a walkthrough, there are very thorough ones online for that game so you should be fine. In case you're not, though, I'll just throw out there: resist the temptation to use Hector for anything. He's already way too strong and your other units need the EXP much, much more. This can be a huge pitfall if you don't heed the warning and get too far into the game (or so I am told), so I figured I should bring it up now.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #105
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If you're consulting a walkthrough, there are very thorough ones online for that game so you should be fine. In case you're not, though, I'll just throw out there: resist the temptation to use Hector for anything. He's already way too strong and your other units need the EXP much, much more. This can be a huge pitfall if you don't heed the warning and get too far into the game (or so I am told), so I figured I should bring it up now.
I've been trying not to use walkthroughs - my constant use of savestates to keep everyone alive after bad calls or bad luck feels like enough cheating already :P Hector I don't even use that much; he and/or Oswin usually stay behind to guard the tent. The temptation of using Marcus was way bigger until I promoted some other Units.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #106
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

You should still use Hector some though, just don't let him completely overlevel.

Eliwood can be either fantastic or mediocre depending on how lucky you get with stat gains. He's always been mediocre for me.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #107
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post

Yeah, Eliwood is weird in that he has balanced stats, while the other two lords have decisive areas of expertise. However, 'balanced stats' means that his Resistance is deceptively high- use him kinda like a Pegasi Knight, except slower and not quite as weak to physical moves..
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #108
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

You're right Marble, Eliwood is pretty much just bad. I don't know what it is, but I can't get him to turn out half decent, having played through the game 5/6 times. I always end up having him just mooch kills to keep up or let him kill the occasional knight with his Rapier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #109
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Finally got around to beating all the SpotPass missions whooooooo. Does anyone know how to access those two extra save slots I see on the main menu before starting? I'm thinking of doing a second run. Disappointed that I can't just do the new game + sort of thing I'd always do with Fire Emblem.

New game + as in keeping track of your clear count. afaik not all games unlock something extra after multiple clears.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #110
Kuno Fan
Kuno > N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Finally got around to beating all the SpotPass missions whooooooo. Does anyone know how to access those two extra save slots I see on the main menu before starting? I'm thinking of doing a second run. Disappointed that I can't just do the new game + sort of thing I'd always do with Fire Emblem.

New game + as in keeping track of your clear count. afaik not all games unlock something extra after multiple clears.
If you're talking about the two save slots on the bottom screen, you actually can't use them (much to my frustration). They're for battle saves, which are only available in Casual "-_-. Hope that helped! ^_^

and the art thread that i'll be trying to breathe life back into lol
Kuno Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #111
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Okay, just got Fire Emblem myself.

Question: Is any of the DLC worthwhile? Do they make the game easier? Or are they mostly for fans?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #112
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Some of the DLC is for extra challenge, some is for little extra stuff, and some is for making the game easier.

If you want the stuff to make the game easier, then the golden pack is probably for you. One gives a grinding spot for money, one for exp, and one for powerful items.

Anything outside of the Golden Pack is mostly just stuff for fans.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #113
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Actually, I want to avoid stuff that makes it easier.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #114
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Basically the stuff in the golden pack is for making grinding easier- One for level grinding, one for money grinding, one for rare item grinding (though the last one isn't exactly a pushover- A lowlevel team stands no chance).

The other ones are basically just extra levels. Some give you more units, but that's the extent of it, other than the two which give you two completely new classes.

But to answer your real question- No, downloading any pack will not make the game easier. They're all extra levels, which you can use or not use as the urge strikes you. There's no nonsense insta-win stuff or anything.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #115
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Okay, so there was a discussion in TO about FE: Awakening, and I decided we should probably try to move it here.

The current topic: pairings and children

This is the kind of discussion that starts flame wars, so let's try to be civil.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #116
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Ok, well I might as well admit that the only reason my pairings are as weird as they are is because I don't really understand the "Pairings and Children" aspect at all, honestly. And like I said in the ASB TO, this is my first ever time playing a Fire Emblem game, so I'm already aware that I'm going to make some silly mistakes. I mean, I'm mainly pairing on how close they are role wise - hence why I'm pairing my Avvy and Miriel. And now you've mentioned that Lon'qu/Tharja is pretty bad then I'm prob going to go Ricken/Tharja instead... hmm...

Then again, I'm only like on Chapter 12 so I'm not desperately needing to get children just yet. Heck, I'm still confused about how the class system and the Class change Seals work!

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #117
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
Ok, well I might as well admit that the only reason my pairings are as weird as they are is because I don't really understand the "Pairings and Children" aspect at all, honestly.
Thing is, I believe this is only the second FE game that have a similar pairing -> children units aspect (first being a Japan-only game) as most of the time it's just supports with coupling/level S Support and that's it, nothing about children.

That aside, although I do understand the system/aspect, I didn't care much about the strategy of skills + paring to have the best children ever either, as I preferred to pair those that I felt fitting story-wise, then paired whatever's leftover. So my pairings looks like this:
Chrom - Avatar
Nowi - Donnel
Cordelia - Frederick
Panne - Long'qu
Miriel - Libra
Sully - Stahl
Maribelle - Virion
Sumia - Gaius
Lissa - Ricken
Tharja - Henry
Olivia - Kellam
Cherche - Vaike

Lucina - Inigo
Severa - Gerome
Cynthia - Owain
Kjelle - Brady
Noire - Laurent
Nah - Yarne

Gregory & Morgan *forever alone*

The only ones I found difficult to pair was Sumia (because dammit girl WHY U NO HAVE MORE CHOICE OF MARRIAGEABLE GUYS), Avatar (I was torn between Chrom and Stahl ;-; Two awesome guys in terms of character!) and Morgan (who sadly ended up being alone.)

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #118
Slash
Silver LO

Gauis and Tharja is a good couple, and I like their supports. Also, ginger Noire is the result.

Most first-gen characters have 3 first-tier classes they have access to.

For example, Kellam:
Knight
Thief
Priest

Knight can change into General or Great Knight with a Master Seal
Thief can use a Master Seal to go to Trickster or Assassin
Priest can do the same to War Monk and Sage

That means, sans DLC, there are six advanced classes he can end up in, and a total of 27 skills he can learn

Advanced classes learn skills at Levels 5 and 15 (Luna and Dual Guard+, respectively for Great Knight; or Rally Luck and Renewal respectively for War Monk/Cleric, etc)
Base classes learn skills at Levels 1 and 10 (such as Discipline and Outdoor Fighter, respectively, for Cavalier; or Mag+2 and Focus, respectively, for Mages. Etc)
Special Classes learn skills at Levels 1 and 15, and can level up to 30 in said classes. (Aptitude and Underdog for Villagers, for example).

Special classes are Villager, Dancer, Manakete, and Taguel, as well as a couple DLC ones.

When pairing up a couple, if the couple has children, the child or children have access to all base-level classes the parents do, except for classes exclusive to gender (Barbarian, Fighter, and Villager are male-only, whereas Pegasus Knight and Troubadour are female), which tend to become other, similar(ish) classes. There is a chart for it here. Access to Taguel and Manakete are passed down, Villager is only passed down to males, and Dancer is exclusive to Olivia, and is not passed down. Kjelle always gets Knight in addition to what she gets from parents, because she starts as a Knight always. Lord is passed from Chrom to Lucina, but not any other children he has (or that Lucina might have), but will pass down the ability Aether to daughters and Rightful King to sons. Panne's Wyvern Rider class does not pass down to Yarne unless his father has access to that class, as it becomes access to the Barbarian class for unknown reasons.

My current ones are:
Chrom x Starr (Avatar) - I'd done all the other options (bar maiden) before, so I figured why not?
Lissa x Kellam - I needed someone who wouldn't hurt Owain's Mag, and still let him wield swords, because he's always talking about swords
Olivia x Lon'qu - they fit thematically, both having worked for Basilio, and that's a tasty +5 to both Speed and Skill for Inigo
Maribelle x Henry - White-haired Brady fits the creepy factor. Also, I liked the combination of a healer and a dark mage together. Also +4 Mag for Brady
Donnel x Sully - They have sweet supports together. Also, Galeforce and Armsthrift
Sumia x Frederick - Sumia's husband pool sucks
Cordelia x Vaike - +5 Str, +4 Skl/Spd Severa. Also, blond Severa fits
Cherche x Gregor - +6 Str Gerome, and Armsthrift
Panne x Stahl - Interesting supports, cool-looking Yarne with green hair stripe
Miriel x Ricken - +6 Magic modifier for Laurent
Gaius x Tharja - GF Noire, good supports, and Noire is ginger
Nowi x Virion - not many options left, Probably should have gone Libra

I also have paired kids
Yarne x Lucina
Kjelle x Morgan
Brady x Severa
Owain x Cynthia (delusions of grandeur cubed)
Inigo x Noire
Gerome x Nah

Laurent is alone because he lacks GF or AT and is less useful.

Last edited by Slash; 03-04-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #119
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I was afraid to post my breeding adventures, because of people being overly sensitive about "spoilers". I usually go for couples that seem to go well with each other. Anyway, how mine ended up: Heavy spoilers in the spoiler box

Chrom x Sumia: This seems to be the most natural pairing to me. Cynthia also turns out badass because of Aether passed on to her.
Lissa x Frederick: Sadly Owain ended up sucking, but I still think these two make a nice couple.
Sully x Gregor: This ended up being an interesting pairing. Though I made this pairing because I don't care for either of the characters.
Miriel x Henry: I wanted to make Laurent a magic powerhouse, but without galeforce, he falls behind the other children.
Maribelle x Ricken: Pretty obvious to me. Also Brady is awesome.
Panne x Gaius: ME TAGUEL! ME MAD! *10 more hours of Taguel talk* Thankfully Panne's son isn't as obnoxious.
Cordelia x Stahl: Severa turns out pretty balanced with this setup. Too bad her luck growth sucks.
Tharja x Donnel: Noir is the embodiment of destruction with this pairing. Also it works nice since Donnel is kinda meek.
Olivia x Virion: Seems natural to me. Also with how Inigo turns out, I'm sure this is the pairing the creators intended.
Cherche x Lon'qu: This one actually has back story!
Nowi x Vaike: I umm....I couldn't think of anyone good to go with her, so I just went with the option to give Nah the highest attack power.
Lucina x J'Wiz: I paired my unit with Lucina, because I thought it'd add something to the story, since Lucina tries to kill him. Sadly the only thing that changed is that Lucina said she loved him before trying, but Morgan did turn out badass. Morgan and Noir ended up being my strongest units that run. I hope Lucina is a playable character in the next Smash Brothers! Chrom would be too boring!

Last edited by big bad birtha; 03-04-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #120
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

My current run, which I need to get back to, but busy, is me kind of dicking about a bit more with pairings. Not taking them too seriously, since I'm not planning to do the ludicrous DLC on this file, that'll be my next one. Beware this spoiler box, there's potential cancer in here to those of you who take this game super seriously.

... Ok, it isn't THAT bad, but there is some questionable stuff in there.

Chrom x Sumia
Vaike x Sully
Miriel x Lon'Qu
Kellam x Cordelia
Frederick x Cherche
Henry x Olivia
Ricken x Maribelle
Donnel x Nowi
Gaius x Tharja
Gregor x Panne
Libra x Lissa
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #121
Slash
Silver LO

The only one that irks me a bit is Robin/Anna, because she gives practically nothing to Morgan.

Well, I also dislike Chrom/Sumia, because I dislike Sumia in general, but I know a lot of people like her.

I've actually not done Ricken/Maribelle before, but that does sound promising for Brady. After all, although Laurent benefits from that wonderful Magic modifier as Ricken's son, he still lacks Galeforce or Armsthrift in such a set up. If only Ricken had access to Dark Mage, then that would be excellent for Brady.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #122
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well my first run I kind of failed because I didn't start pairing up until after Chapter 13, hehe. My pairings for that run were:

Avatar-Lissa (my favorite female, felt right in plot)
Chrom-Sully (fantastic support conversations I think)
Lon'qu-Cordelia (completely by accident)

Now I'm on a second run of the game, doing a lot more pairing up and such. However, I'm still not worried about using everyone or getting the perfect child. Maybe on a higher difficulty run later on, but right now I'm just all about having fun. Pairings:

Avatar-Sully (I was really excited but the support conversations felt a bit weak)
Chrom-Sumia (Plot)
Frederick-Lissa (Thought this was the next logical choice after Avatar, cute support)
Gregor-Nowi (Okay really I haven't seen this listed yet IT'S PERFECT THEY'RE TOO CUTE TOGETHER)
Kellam-Cordelia (Not completed yet, accidental)

Next run I should pair up with Cordelia, I'm pretty sure she's almost right up there with Lissa as far as favorite female characters go.

Also, disappointed that you can't get Basilio and Flavia to S level, it seems so right. Sigh.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #123
Whimsy
Dance till you're dead~

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsy
Sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to say that I've started chapter 13 of Awakening now and oh my gods.
Character Spoiler:
HENRY YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON.
I've just met him and I love him already and now I need to pair him with someone but sadly no-one is as punny as him which is what I was aiming for because flavour.
Oh well, I might pair him with Thar'ja instead - the child's dark magic would be CAWS for disaster *shot*

Fizzy Bubbles Profile/Whimlist/ASB/Wild Future
Inactive Ref, laziness op~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost™ View Post
In Mother 3 Swampy was Flint and you were Hinawa. You two were a wonderful couple. Icarus was your dog, and Toy and I were your twin sons. Well, until a dinosaur impaled you through the heart. So yes, where is he!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
#still
#fucking
#salty

Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #124
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
The only one that irks me a bit is Robin/Anna, because she gives practically nothing to Morgan.

Well, I also dislike Chrom/Sumia, because I dislike Sumia in general, but I know a lot of people like her.

I've actually not done Ricken/Maribelle before, but that does sound promising for Brady. After all, although Laurent benefits from that wonderful Magic modifier as Ricken's son, he still lacks Galeforce or Armsthrift in such a set up. If only Ricken had access to Dark Mage, then that would be excellent for Brady.
I'm dicking about and I adore Anna. Morgan doesn't exactly need much to be good imo.

I'm usually torn between Chrom/Sumia and Chrom/Olivia, but Chrom and Sumia got B rank by accident, so I rolled with it.

It's not bad actually, he passes down Luna, which is always appreciated.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #125
Slash
Silver LO

Brady always has access to Luna. Maribelle's Pegasus Knight and Troubadour access turn into Priest and Cavalier, anyway. Ricken only gives access to Archer classes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games