UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #101
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Yeah I agree. There are still some challenging parts even though I'm playing casually with exp share. I wasn't expecting Hau to wipe me ever, but his fucking Raichu mopped the floor with my entire team. It was disgusting. I had to use Wimpod sand attacks to cheese my way through, and Brionne ended up landing every bubble beam anyway...
Old 11-26-2016, 04:27 AM   #102
Torkoal Stu
This

So I finally got my copy of Moon and started playing!

I picked Popplio cause while I haven't seen all the new Gen 7 'mons I know there hasn't been a single new water type I liked. And I always only use new 'mon on my first new gen run through. Playthrough 2 I will definitely be using Aloha 'Chu though!

I like how the grassy areas have more than like 4 species of Pokémon in them though. Makes the game much more exciting.

And Pokémon Refresh is super, I love it D:
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #103
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I beat the game, and am a little bit into post-game funtime. In the end, my team is the same it was in the last post. I probably need to go back to Pokemon school or someshit, because last guy nearly wiped me. He had 3 guys with full health, and all I had was a nearly dead, paralyzed Salamence and Vaporeon. Vaporeon somehow pulled through. Post-game stuff is giving me difficulty as well. It's nice I actually have to think to beat the game again.
Spoiler: show
Don't do that theres two trainer there that battle you in the endgame and they're mildly challenging if you're underlevelled
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #104
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Beat the game on the 22nd. Probably my second favorite game in the series. The music, story, characters, region, I enjoyed all of it. After XY and ORAS, my expectations weren't high, but Sun and Moon have pretty much restored my confidence in the series.

My team at the end of the story.
Decidueye (Male) Level 53
Alola-Raichu (Male) Level 50
Midday Lycanroc (Female) Level 52
Araquanid (Male) Level 52
Mimikyu (Male) Level 51
Kommo-o (Male) Level 51

Replaced by Kommo-o: Salazzle (Female) Level 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kuno View Post
To anyone who beat the game: What was your playtime at when you finished it?
Roughly 33 hours.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #105
Connor
Flashbacker

This is the first game since Heart Gold which I'm strongly considering keeping a permanent save file. Absolutely nailed out the park, and I'm only at roughly the halfway point of the third island. Will probably purchase Moon too so I have a copy to fuck about with on Nuzlockes and Mono runs.

Gamefreak, multiple save files pls.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #106
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I would like it if Pokemon started having a NG+ feature. It would help if you had Pokemon or items you didn't want to lose, but you wanted to start the adventure over again. You keep your Pokemon and items, but you lose your key items and badges.

My final playtime after beating the game was around 63 hours, but that doesn't mean much. I spent alot of time dicking around, and doing other stuff while the game was paused.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #107
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Ok, I'm almost ready to go into the E4 with my squad, when it's levelled. For reference, the squad is Golisopod, Mudsdale, Ribombee, Salazzle, Aerodactyl and Incineroar. My main issue with this team is that it's got holes wider than Celebi's typing, and Incineroar is definitely not pulling its weight. It dies stupidly quickly, outspeeds very little and doesn't quite have enough oomph behind the moves. Flare Blitz may solve the oomph problem, but it pulls up the other big issue of it dying to literally anything, especially if it's SE. So, what should I replace it with? I was considering maybe AlolaChu personally...
Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #108
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I can't say. I haven't had that kind of bad experience with my own Incineroar. Pretty slow, yeah, but mine can take hits and dish 'em out well enough.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #109
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Mine got its arse handed to it on the regular by Guzma's Ariados. Fire Fang was doing less than its Fell Stinger was doing back, despite having a couple of levels on it and a Naughty nature. So, yeah. Looking for potential replacements for it, especially with the League in mind.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #110
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I had a nice Mudbray chain going. Many kills. Probably killed some with nice IVs. Was just about to end it with a capture, and Mudbray A kills Mudbray B with Bulldoze. I had targeted Mudbray B with a damaging attack that wasn't False Swipe or Hold Back. Killed Mudbray A too. That was pretty much my whole day playing too. *sadface* No shiny for me.

I guess I'll go on to the second trial now.

Dartrix
Charjabug
Mudbray (one of the other ones I caught)

Butterfree
Snorlax
Cutiefly/Rufflet/something
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #111
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm in a sort of similar situation as IT. Decidueye is easily the weakest team member I have by a pretty fair margin. I mean now my starting six are all at level 76 so it doesn't reaaalllyyyy matter all that much but it's still kind of disappointing.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #112
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

My Incineroar pulls its weight fairly enough. He tends to make himself a suicide killer. He can take down a 'mon or two, but will quickly go down after that. He certainly isn't the MVP on my team like he was back when he was Torracat, but he does well enough. Also you can't deny that wink he does after you pet/feed him.

Speaking of Incineroar, this was funny and cute. Plus an unrelated bonus!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:07 AM   #113
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

...I just hatched a Shiny Wimpod. O_O I wasn't even trying for one, I was just going for one with good IVs, and I got one, and this hatched from one of the remaining Eggs!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #114
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I just unlocked Poni Island. MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS:

...Wow that's fucking ice cold. Lusamine straight up rejected Lille right in front of the protagonist. Holy shit.

"I don't have a daughter."

WHAT THE FUCK
So does this mean I can feel good about the fanart/doujins since it's not incest anymore?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #115
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I mean I understand where you guys are coming from, but at the same time, I was feeling underwhelmed by Greninja in XY despite it being an objectively great pokemon. Story Mode power is all about the levels, and if you don't treat your starter like it's your starter, they WILL fall behind and feel useless. Also if you run something like Golossipod that hits REALLY hard, your starter is gonna seem lackluster in comparison.

It's a little surprising that Fire Fang wasn't outdamaging Fell Stinger, especially if as you say they were even in levels. There is literally no reason why that should be the case. You should be nearly one-shotting an Ariados with Fire Fang according to the calcs, and Ariados should be doing 25% of your HP.

If it's raining AND you have 0 IVs/EVs in attack AND 0 IVs/EVs in defense AND Ariados has 31s and 252s in those stats, Fire Fang still outdamages Fell Stinger.

IT I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that. Something about that situation was not what you claim it was. There is no way that, in a normal situation, Fell Stinger can outdamage Fire Fang.

Obviously Flare Blitz will help but Incineroar is not a fragile little flower and it does do damage. I don't understand what could possibly be going so wrong for your playthrough that you handily lose Incineroar vs. Ariados.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #116
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Part of the reason may be because these games don't fuck around anymore. Major trainers don't just have flawless IVs, but are also readily EV trained. Game Freak finally learned from Drayano.

Plus the fact Ariados likely has Swarm and Fell Stinger got buffed and all.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #117
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
I only started my game 2 days ago, had to wait for my 3DS to arrive after I already had received Sun (which ironically I have only played in nighttime). But that extra challenge I also notice yes, it's no longer a given you can muscle yourself through a type disadvantage, which is a good thing imho. I'm actually trying to to capture Pokémon with not only the ability I want, but also a good nature for it.

I've lost only 1 battle so far ingame, to the very first trainer in Trainer School... having only two Pokémon with a weakness to Flying doesn't help, and the trainer with the Pikipek kept spamming Peck. But aside from that, in general, the battles are a lot more challenging.

Though maybe that's also because I play with the Exp. Share off.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #118
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

There wasn't any rain, and it was a few days ago so the specifics may be fuzzy, but the main bits are that Ariados almost beat Incineroar. I think I may have taken two hits, done like half its health back, and then switched out to Mudsdale or something to kick its shit in. Incineroar was always one of my main 3 in the party, but even then of the three it was always the weakest, always the worst (Although that's because the others were fking Mudsdale and Golisopod). The final straw came when I settled on an endgame party and both Aeordactyl and Ribombee, who were several levels below Incineroar, were reliably hitting harder than Incineroar could. To specify the difference, Aero was 40, Ribombee was a bit under that, and Incineroar was high 40s maybe low 50s.

Anyway, I'm replacing Incineroar with Gengar, once I've levelled it sufficiently, and then I can finally go wreck the league.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #119
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raves View Post
Part of the reason may be because these games don't fuck around anymore. Major trainers don't just have flawless IVs, but are also readily EV trained. Game Freak finally learned from Drayano.

Plus the fact Ariados likely has Swarm and Fell Stinger got buffed and all.
Swarm boosted Fell Stinger still doesn't outdamage Fire Fang without Rain :p It's even less of a contest if you have any kind of IV and EV presence.

IT most likely already had damage on Icineroar from somewhere, OR he switched in on Ariados, which would have meant that he took 2 Fell Stinger hits instead of 1. This is roughly the same damage as 1 Fire Fang and does threaten a KO on Incineroar next turn due to its low Speed. If Incineroar had not taken any previous damage, Fell Stinger would still have done close to 70% of Incineroar's HP, but Incineroar would still munch on it with an easy 2HKO.

I get it IT. Incineroar is feeling lackluster, and in Story Mode, feel is everything. But try to calm your assumptions a little. Keep leveling it. Favor it for visual and enjoyment reasons rather than saying "It hits hard" or "It takes hits well." Statwise, it does do both, but that's not really important in Story Mode :p

Quote:
There wasn't any rain, and it was a few days ago so the specifics may be fuzzy, but the main bits are that Ariados almost beat Incineroar. I think I may have taken two hits, done like half its health back, and then switched out to Mudsdale or something to kick its shit in. Incineroar was always one of my main 3 in the party, but even then of the three it was always the weakest, always the worst (Although that's because the others were fking Mudsdale and Golisopod). The final straw came when I settled on an endgame party and both Aeordactyl and Ribombee, who were several levels below Incineroar, were reliably hitting harder than Incineroar could. To specify the difference, Aero was 40, Ribombee was a bit under that, and Incineroar was high 40s maybe low 50s.

Anyway, I'm replacing Incineroar with Gengar, once I've levelled it sufficiently, and then I can finally go wreck the league.
Yep that does make sense.

And lol yes you are comparing Mudsdale and Golossipod to Incineroar. Both of those have massive bulk and are only slightly slower than Incineroar is. (I love Mudsdale it's such a cool pokemon and its stats mean you really feel like it's a goddamn draft horse). Incineroar occupies this weird middle ground between your 2 fast characters (aero and bee) and your 2 slow characters (goloss and mudsdale) that means that it ends up eating hits but can't reliably one-shot its opponents.

Try this before you give up on Incineroar: Give it Flame Charge. It might change the way you play Incineroar to be a little bit safer and a little bit more effective.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 AM   #120
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

It already had Flame Charge. Kept dying before it got a third attack off regardless. Also bear in mind that aero and ribombee were a solid nine to ten levels beneath incineroar and still pulling more weight. Incineroar had to land either a crit, SE Darkest Lariat or Malicious Moonsault to actually do more than piss-all.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #121
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Just arrived on the third island:

Play Time: 22:13

All three trials were fairly easy, although that Totem Lurantis hit pretty hard. Considered picking myself up a Wishiwashi and Golisoped but both their abilities annoy the bejeesus out of me. I like how interconnected everything feels, but having ride pokemon arbitrarily block the way (particularly that guy and his Stoutland) feels more "this is a video game you cannot go this way yet" than BW's gating did, I think that's a slide backwards. My first encounted with an Ultra Beast at the Aether Paradise was badass. Really enjoying the new pokemon too! The moment I came across Oranguru, I made my friend (who has Sun) catch a Passimian for me and then I bred it so I could have my own, for some reason using traded mon has always annoyed me. Passimian entirely wrecked the grand trial. Hau very nearly kicked my ass on arrival at the third island.

All in all, so far this game is holding up on par with ORAS and BW as being bloody excellent, but I still reckon BW2 was marginally better than all of those. Fantastic though!

And the pokemon currently in rotation:

Jeri the Pikachu (Female) level 28
Hasty @ nothing
Static
-Charge Beam
-Spark
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack

Giggles the Alolan Marowak (Male) level 28
Impish @ Fightinium Z
Cursed Body
-False Swipe
-Bonemerang
-Rock Tomb
-Brick Break

Henryk the Passimian (Male) level 29
Timid @ Fightinium Z
Receiver
-Brick Break
-Thrash
-Brutal Swing
-Focus Energy

Buckeroo the Mudbray (Male) level 29
Gentle @ Soft Sand
Own Tempo
-High Horsepower
-Stomp
-Rock Tomb
-Bulldoze

Louizzle the Salandit (Female) level 29

Naughty @ Firium Z
Corrosion
-Flame Burst
-Toxic
-Dragon Rage
-Venoshock

Visitor the Araquanid (Female) level 29
Naughty @ Mystic Water
Water Bubble
-Scald
-Bug Bite
-Infestation
-Bite

Tesla the Charjabug (Female) level 28
Modest @ nothing
Battery
-Spark
-Crunch
-Acrobatics
-Bug Bite

Great Om the Oranguru (Female) level 28
Calm @ nothing
Telepathy
-Brutal Swing
-Charge Beam
-Stored Power
-Nasty Plot

Archermedes the Dartrix (Male) level 28
Calm @ Grassium Z
Overgrow
-False Swipe
-Razor Leaf
-Synthesis
-Pluck

Mergo the Fomantis (Female) level 30
Lonely @ Grassium Z
Leaf Guard
-Leaf Blade
-Fury Cutter
-Ingrain
-Growth

Waiting on Discharge at level 34 to evolve Pikachu. Having heard that Charjabug's evo is area specific, I might leave her in the box until I reach that area idk.

Last edited by Concept; 11-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #122
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Cept, you may wanna try waiting until level 42 for Pikachu to learn Thunderbolt, as that's the move required for Alolachu's unique Z-move...providing you can stomach Pikachu until then. I suppose Discharge helps with it being a good move and all.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #123
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Definitely leave it till Thunderbolt, the TM is postgame.

Also yeah Charjabug evolves in a specific area. Which is on the last island and towards the end of the game, so benching it's not too bad a call. It also makes an irritating switch from being physically oriented to being specially oriented on evolving, so that's a pain too.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #124
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Ehh, Thunderbolt is only 10 base power above Discharge and I'd have to stick it out another 8 levels for it. Particularly as I have TM Psychic for another strong STAB on it anyway, I feel like the times when I'd really care about the missing 10 base power are few and far between unless Alolachu's unique Z-move is truly amazing. Really do kinda want Alolan Raichu over Pikachu asap.

With regards to Charjabug, given it makes the swap from physical to special oriented and it learns either X-Scissor (Charjabug) or Bug Buzz (evo) at 31 according to Serebii it probably is the time to box it now.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #125
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Probably, yeah. Especially given that you're supposed to be mid/high 40s at the start of the last island, you'll be waiting until the Move Relearner to access half of Vikavolt's movepool.

As for 'Is AlolaChu's Z move worth it', it's a 175 base power special Electric move with guaranteed paralysis on the target. Is that worth it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON