UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #6951
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doppleganger: shitting on one man's beloved anime one program at a time. ;P

OR

Damn, son! First Mcsweeney's Air, then bbb's Mitsudomoe! What next? Minami-ke? ;P
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #6952
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Actually Talon, I do have Minami-ke Okawari lined up after Mitsudomoe, as MK is the last bastion of heralded anime you guys had that I kind of ignored because I went nuts a few years ago. But now that I have bolts, the toolbox is complete again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Doppleganger: shitting on one man's beloved anime one program at a time. ;P

OR

Damn, son! First Mcsweeney's Air, then bbb's Mitsudomoe! What next? Minami-ke? ;P
This is a bit unfair, if not inaccurate to a degree.

BPK was fearful that I would hate Air, as you did - I didn't hate it, I was merely tepid toward it. My power level for visual novels and visual novel-esque stories and approaches is so high, I'm even writing my own. Jun Maeda was not able to dazzle me with one of his earlier works. That doesn't mean I hated it, I did appreciate it some.

I can see what BBB likes in Mitsudomoe, and that's the rambunctious antics of the three main girls. The adults are little more than autonomous flesh sticks. The nurse in particular is really bad. As I told BPK, if there are any brains in her body they're in her breasts (where they're utterly useless). There's no excuse for how badly written she is and I don't think she's the main point of the story.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #6953
Talon87
時の彼方へ

All I'll say is, if you shit all over Okawari then our team's response will be along the lines of this. Mostly because Okawari, while it does contain some gems, is easily the black sheep of the family for more reasons than just its horrible animation.

But if you shit all over Okaeri and Tadaima, then my response will be more along the lines of this. ;P Happy hunting!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #6954
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Actually I recommended Mitsudomoe knowing he wouldn't like it. He kept bugging me to watch Seitokai Yakuindomo, which was a big pile of pointless sex jokes, so I suggested Mitsudomoe to get even! I know Mitsudomoe is stupid as hell, but I like it because of that.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 AM   #6955
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ahaaaaa. Well then!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #6956
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I would definitely anoint this show as cute, but cringeworthy, since the jokes that don't hit are reeeeeally freaking hard to get through.

Also, Japan's juvenile obsession with panties is just so bizarre. The girls for some reason assume that if a guy stole her panties, he's wearing them. How is that hot? It doesn't make any sense to I!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #6957
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Also, Japan's juvenile obsession with panties is just so bizarre. The girls for some reason assume that if a guy stole her panties, he's wearing them. How is that hot? It doesn't make any sense to I!
I have never understood the panty fetish. Perfectly happy to keep it that way.

Apparently, though, it either was never uniquely Japanese to begin with or else the Internet has facilitated its spread to other countries: because just the other night on Imgur/Reddit, I was reading some English girl saying in a Confession Bear post, "Sorry, Mom & Dad. I know I told you I have a job, but the truth is my steady income comes from me selling my panties." Apparently there are enough men in the UK who share the Japanese obsession with used panties >_< that this girl is able to sell her used underwear for between Ł10 and Ł50 a shot.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #6958
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Chikubi

Chikyubi

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-21-2015, 03:42 AM   #6959
Talon87
時の彼方へ

They named a hamster Nipple?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #6960
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah. For a name, I'd say it's a little stiff.

Mitsudomoe 05

What is this show's demographic? I don't get it. I'm watching it somehow even though it is the most cringe-worthy show. The content and art-style don't jive. It's a cornucopia of bizarre.

Case in point:

Spoiler: show
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #6961
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Lances n' Masques

I'm not engrossed/entranced by this show, but it was surprisingly easy to digest. A lot of cute (not sexy) girls and a gallant guy doing gallant things. That's fairly inoffensive. He's antiquated and that created some embarrassment, but after Mitsudomoe that was nothing.

Speaking of that...

Mitsudomoe

I'm half-way through the first season. BBB suggested the second is where it's at, but I dunno if I'll have enough man to go through it. This show is a bit like self-flagellation as it puts the characters in the most horrific scenarios. The non-sexual equivalent would be: guy poops his pants in public and desperately tries to conceal the deed from others for a long period of time. He makes excuses about the conspicuous smell and why he refuses to sit down. Stuff like that.

If the girls were high school aged, I think this show would be considerably less cringe-worthy. But populated with sixth graders, it takes some serious chest hair and self-assurance to muscle through. The "flogging" metaphor remains radically relevant.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #6962
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mitsudomoe

Is there some belief that rubbing fat will remove it? Like in the way if you get something on your skin, washing your hands will remove it off? Because that is the most peculiar thing I've ever heard of.

Anyway, overall rating: Mediocre. That rating is deceptive, because the series was brutal (like shaving with ground glass) early on and improved toward the end. I think from Episode 8+ I'd call it Good and maybe even a few Excellent episodes here or there. It ended on such a high note I think I'll continue on to the second season.

I'll look into Shomin Sample, but now that I'm back at full-ish power I'll try and tackle my backlog of shows. First the easy stuff, then the toughies.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #6963
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shomin Sample

I'm through two episodes of this. It's surprisingly watchable. It feels bad that "watchable" is a compliment these days, but with so much cringe-worthy material, that is loud praise.

The main guy doesn't stick out, but he also doesn't stick out in a bad way. This show is a bizarre fusion it seems of the "Xavier High School" I built in my novel, but with most students acting like Muv-Luv's Mitsurugi Meiya. In fact, that very early plot of ML seems fairly apparent here, where the girls are clueless about everything from the opposite sex to smartphones, and find it amazing if common.

I know the maid's secret, and that's she's the best girl.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #6964
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Little Busters and something called Tomoyo After are being officially released in English.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #6965
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Who here has played Tomoyo After? I'll admit I'm a bit interested in watching Clannad with objective eyes now that I've polished off Air. Charlotte definitely got me interested in Jun Maeda for some reason.

Shomin Sample

Up to date with this. It's slow going. As mentioned before, it's inoffensive, but not particularly compelling right now, so I dragged my feet. It feels very much as mundane as real-life does. Like, the girl talked to the guy about her life problems. That happens a lot when I'm at work.

I'd like the comedy to drop dead and the romance to get started, but I dunno if that's in the cards. Makes me wish for an anime original ending so we can get some resolution.

I miss those. Anime original. Now everything is a cliff-hanger in case of a season two.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 AM   #6966
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Cromartie High School(manga)
This was good for the first 50ish hours. After that, it's incredibly boring. It's like a huge wall of text explaining everyday "observations" with a hit-and-miss gag at the very end. Not only that, but it changes character perspective so many times that it doesn't even give you time to like any of them. It's such a shame that this turned into such a bore-fest.

It seems that Miyu Matsuki passed away. I wasn't a massive fan of her, but I did like her voice. I loved the teacher in Hidamari Sketch, and she put quite a bit of life in her. I wonder what they're going to do with Sapphire Fate/Illya. I wonder if they'll take away her lines or replace her.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #6967
Talon87
時の彼方へ

>Sapphire died

NOOOOOOO! ;.; I loved her voice! The inspiration for my younger sister Misdreavus, Reiko, in Fizzy Bubbles. Ah man. D: This is terrible news. Rest in peace, Matsuki-dono. ;.;
Old 11-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #6968
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Looking for news and stuff about her passing, I found this:

Y'uhhhhhh ... this is a plot line straight out of yandere hentai. O_o
Old 11-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #6969
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai

Up to date with this (Ep.5) and I'm enjoying it very much. Also I have to say, despite the ecchi tag there is very little ecchi at all. In fact, according to some comments I have seen the ecchi is only there to take away from how dark this anime gets later on. Sounds like a fun one.

Fairy Tail (2014)

Yeah, I went there, I know it's viewed as highly overrated but I enjoy it and found the latest episode (Ep.82) to be quite good, the start of a very interesting battle.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk

Absolutely loving this and the fact that the MC isn't incredibly dense***. The action scenes are pretty nice and the rivalry between the main girls is getting very fun to watch, I need Ep.6 now. :/

+ #TeamJulis all the way.

Last edited by Chiko; 11-06-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #6970
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, we have an Asterisk watcher! Is it true it's exactly the same as that one show I talked about earlier (I forget, I didn't pick up either).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #6971
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Updating my MyAnimeList profile right now. Yeesh. Someone redesigned the site and they have even worse design talent than I do! Like ... this looks really crappy and really juvenile. They need to go back to the old look, or quickly forward on to a newer look still. Don't stay put on this doctor's office preschool playtoy RBGY mess, please.

Added One Punch Man. Updated Pokémon XY and Mega Evolution special. Added Diancie movie and Pokémon XY&Z. Let me know if I missed anything but I don't think I have since I don't think I've watched any other anime recently. Rick & Morty and Gravity Falls, sure, but not anime. Umaru's first two episodes were already added along with Akira ... back around late August. ^^; Yeah, it's been a while since I've watched any anime aside from Pokémon. Just been really busy with other things.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #6972
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I am three episodes from completing LOTGH.

FTR,

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #6973
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Found a streaming site for cartoons, so I have been watching some things I have been meaning to watch for a while from this side of the world. I would babble about them if there was a general thread for them in Entertainment, but eh.

Anyone know anything about Granblue Fantasy? I have been seeing a bunch of fanart/doujins from it lately. It seems to be another phone game, but I figured someone might be into it. Is it fun, or does everyone just want to fuck some of the characters?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 AM   #6974
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Oh, we have an Asterisk watcher! Is it true it's exactly the same as that one show I talked about earlier (I forget, I didn't pick up either).
Which anime would you be referring to?

Sorry if I overlooked something but I can't seem to find what you were talking about.

Etotama

Something which I found that I'm going to try and watch, an Action, Comedy and Fantasy anime with moe neko girls? Might be interesting or it might be completely cringe-worthy.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #6975
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
Which anime would you be referring to?

Sorry if I overlooked something but I can't seem to find what you were talking about.
Right here buddy. I haven't watched either show because of...well, the generic sounding premise, but this was hilariously notable earlier in the season. I'm curious if they've diverted paths by now or not.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime