UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #6876
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Seems the sequel to Majikoi is translated, so I'll try to get to that whenever. Anyway, shows.

Charlotte
This show is okay so far. It's a likeable show for the most part. Main girl is entertaining, and glasses guy has one of the best super powers ever. I don't care much for the "SCIENTISTS ARE EVIL!" thing the show has going on. It's just so tacky. Why not some kind of scientific organization instead of just vilifying scientists in general? Besides that and some repetitive gags, no real issues.

Dragon Ball Super
They should have really treated this like Sailor Moon Crystal and replaced the voices. Everyone just sounds so weird. One guy actually sounds like he's about to die right there. Goku, Gohan, and Trunks all sound like Precure mascots or something. Besides the voices, this doesn't seem like too awkward of a reboot. I'm still a bit salty I didn't get to finish reading the manga, but oh well.

Gakkou Gurashi
This show is certainly a treat. I was about to drop it, then BAM! Smack to the face! Don't want to spoil anything (I really believe this is important), so I'll leave things at that. Anyone with free time should atleast check out episode 1 of this show!

Gangsta
Latest episode was boring, but this is still one of my favorite shows of the season. Not much else to say, really. It's a show about shit getting killed. It kills shit in a cool manner. Prostitute freaking out at shit getting killed. Fun fun FUN!

God Eater
Yeaaah....this looks like another Shingeki no Kyojin. I've only watched episode 1, but I'm still getting those vibes. Main guy's overly hotheaded about not being able to kill the enemy and starting shit. Well episode 2 might prove me wrong. Who knows? Atleast it's pretty.

Working!!!
Eeeeeeh. This is okay, but it's more like some of the more dull episodes of the earlier seasons. It's nice seeing some of the characters back in action again, but nothing has really excited me. We need more Poplar. That bouncy giant ponytail!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #6877
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Haven't watched much anime at all recently. But I will probably watch a few of the Pokémon episodes I am behind on and also the final Sailor Moon Crystal episode. After that, it'd be nice to circle back around to any of my extant projects, like the Hikaru no Go re-watch, the Haruhi books, Season 1 of OreGairu, and of course Prisma Ilya 2wei.

Speaking of 2wei: it looks like UTW is all but dead, so if 2wei II is airing right now, I'll need to find out who's doing the best job with it and watch their subs once I catch up.

I've started translating fanart on Danbooru. Nothing super ambitious yet. Kinda hoping that if I keep it up and get better at it (faster, more confident in giving people my take without lengthy justifications in translator notes, etc.) that it could re-open the door to me working on Meina's Owl. But first things first! Baby steps.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #6878
deoxys
Fog Badge

Charlotte

Interesting, good, not incredibly amazing. So far it definitely reminds me of Heroes but exclusively with high schoolers, complete with "The Company" and everything. Will keep watching though. One theory being tossed around is

Spoiler: show
that none of them actually have super powers and their powers are just a reflection of their emotional/social issues during puberty

Overlord

Surprisingly I'm really enjoying this so far. I was really "ehh" about the concept of another anime based on an MMORPG setting, but the twist they put on it make it incredibly unique and not similar to how other shows have done this at all. If you're on the edge about this one, I'd say give it a shot. Episode 1 and 2 were a little slow, but 3 picks up and gives you an idea of what to expect, I think. Really excited to see where it goes in the future.

Gate

Only have seen one episode so far, but it's grabbed my attention. I'll be watching more in the coming days. It doesn't seem too special, but it's definitely not bad.

That's all I've watched this season so far. I don't know if I'm going to pick up Gangsta and God Eater or not yet. I'll watch Dragonball Super eventually.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #6879
deoxys
Fog Badge

Charlotte Ep. 4

Probably the weakest episode of the series thus far.

I was expecting a twist that the catcher was going to be revealed as the one with the actual ability, not the pitcher, but that wasn't the case. Slightly disappointed with this because they took an obvious route with this.

On top of that, this episode was all around weak. It almost felt like filler. I'm sure the pitcher will become an important character later on but overall the episode was very meh. If this is the formula they're going to use every week - school shenanigans, guy walks in soaking wet and locates the next power user, find power user, convince them to stop or join them, the end - then I'm not sure I'll stick with the show. Of course we're only a few episodes in and they're probably just building until around episode 6 or 7 when shit will most likely go down, but at the moment I find myself somewhat bored of this formula already.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #6880
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Right. I was going to give a basic report about Knights of Sidonia season 2...

Basically: Not as amazing as season 1, but still kind decent. The show became more harem-y, which I'm not too fond of and the new plot changes and new characters are a bit awkward considering where we left off last time, although its direction is still pretty good.

Season 1's strength was the setting. The science fiction angle it took made it much better than that of Attack on Titan. Unfortunately season 2 is dancing closer to the AoT style of character, albeit there was no "check out this character you make a quick bond with. Now watch him die!" nonsense.

For more details:
Season 1 ended with Tanikaze (main character) stopping the giant alien blob ready to destroy Sidonia and asking Kunato to rejoin him. Well, in season 2, Kunato immediately dies and is possessed by the evil doctor.... oh god what is this nonsense?!?

Well, evil possessed Kunato builds a Human/Blob monster hybrid to help fight the Gauna (blob monsters). Tanikaze is initially hesitant to trust it, but then like he meets it and instantly becomes friends with it when realizes it has the mind of a child. Her name is Tsumugi.

The rest of the season then deals with Tanikaze and the harem he develops by being the hero of Sidonia time and time again. This was stunted in season 1 because of his relationship with Hoshijiro, who would die on a mission which failed due to Kunato setting up Tanikaze. Now he has three females vying for his attention and after getting his own place, they all move in. Then romantic comedy followed by gauna combat with certain females getting injured and stuff.

The strong points I believe has to do with the bigger picture now. Sidonia is now changing its stance of constantly on the run to a more offensive stance of destroying the Gauna so that humanity can finally settle on a world. Most of the new season's problems have come from this as the science division causes accidents to develop new weapons or they take control of a planet to act as a staging ground.

What the season lacked was a bit of the appeal and mystery of discovering the setting season 1 established.

Hopefully season 3 will pick up some more.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #6881
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Llamas and alpacas have been on the minds of several of my UPN friends as of late, so this seems like a timely share:

I'm about to finish off S1 of OreGairu. Up next, who can say what it will be.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #6882
deoxys
Fog Badge

Just dropping in to say that Himouto Umaru-chan is shaping up to be one of the top slice of life anime I've seen. It's full of comedy gold and I can't handle all of the moe. Really damn good.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #6883
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Just dropping in to say that Himouto Umaru-chan is shaping up to be one of the top slice of life anime I've seen. It's full of comedy gold and I can't handle all of the moe. Really damn good.
So I looked into it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAnimeList
Umaru is a renowned beautiful 16-year-old girl in town, living with her elder brother Taihei. She acts a perfect sister with a kind heart, intelligence and popularity, who everybody admires. So who would believe how true Umaru is at home? Sleeping, gaming, watching TV, eating junk food, drinking cola… that's almost all she does at home, leaving all the housework to her brother.

Her camouflage is so perfect that when one of her classmates visits her home by surprise and witnesses “true Umaru," she pretends as if she is Umaru's younger sister. Taihei is always swayed by Umaru's gap between ostensible face and spoiled life, but he cannot hate his comical and somehow lovable cute little sister!
Umm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAnimeList
Miyazawa Yukino is the perfect student. Kind, intelligent, pretty and modest, it's unbelievable that such a person could exist. Little did everyone know Yukino's perfection was just a facade. An act to fulfill her desire for praise and admiration. Her life took a turn however, as a newcomer to their school Arima Soichiro topped the exam rankings. Arima is more then just intelligent, he's also kind, handsome and modest, an unbelievable person who can actually exist. Even worse luck, Arima found out Yukino's secret, blackmailing her to help him out.
Your anime sounds "heavily inspired" by Kare Kano. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to watch it. On the contrary! I fuckin' loved Kare Kano, and I've always been disappointed with how the anime kind of imploded towards the end and didn't live up to the promise of its opening and middle. So if Himouto Umaru-chan promises a second chance at a charming plot premise and this time we nail the ending ... well then who am I to complain!?

But yeah. "School angel by day, lazy otaku slob by night" has definitely been done fifteen years prior. (Seventeen, actually. O.o Damn, Kare Kano's old. )
Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #6884
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Kare Kano? More like OreImo amirite.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #6885
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So I just watched the first episode of Himouto! Umaru-chan. It bears little in common with Kare Kano.

Deoxys, do you want to make a thread for this? If not, I'll make a rudimentary one. But if you'd like the honors, go for it. (Don't delay though. I want to post.)

Appetizer thoughts: Umaru's cute in several meanings; show is mead for imoutokons; first episode solidly introduces franchise, feels like hour's worth of information; unrealistic; amusing.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #6886
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Been busy IRL the past few days, but have squeezed in a little time here or there to work on an OP post for a Himouto! Umaru-chan thread. My offer still stands to let Deo make the thread first if he likes since he's the one who brought the show up and seems to super like it, but having not heard anything back yet I will probably post a version of the thread tomorrow once I finish the OP post. If a thread goes up before then, I'll just rework the post's contents into a more Episode 01-centric discussion. Which should be easy to do seeing as I've held off watching any more of Umaru-chan until I get the post written.

Listening to the vocal version of "Negai ga Kanau Basho" / "The Place Where Wishes Are Granted", I feel confident once again that Clannad offers one of the greatest emotional payouts of any anime I've ever seen ... but man, what a slog journey to get there. Still. Anyone reading this who considers themselves no longer an anime newbie and who still hasn't seen Clannad owes it to themselves to check it out if for no other reason than After Story's pinnacle.

(願いが叶う場所Ⅱ, the lyricless music box version, remains the definitive version to listen to. For obvious reasons. But the vocal version is nice to listen to every now and then too.)

If Clannad is too boring, though, I'd also recommend Kanon (2006 ver.) if you haven't seen that yet. Kanon's a classic. I should probably re-watch that soon ... *adds to gargantuan to-do list*
Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #6887
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Finished Majikoi S. It had its enjoyable bits, but it was too brief. We also had foreshadowing for some things, but it never happened. Kokoro and Monshiro routes were great atleast!

Charlotte
This show has been a huge letdown so far. I was pretty excited when I first saw the trailer for this, but so far it's just boring, and the humor is irritating and repetitive. Also the lack of Mr. Sleazeball is irritating.

Gangsta
Still my favorite show of the season. Not really much else to say.

God Eater
CHEESE! WHO LIKES CHEESE, BECAUSE GOD EATER DELIVERS IT! Every action movie cliche thrown into every episode. I hope you enjoy! I also forgot to mention that the art is weird. The character models don't blend into the background very well.

That's all I really feel like reporting on. I'm watching more, but eh.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #6888
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why is poo so good? T_T If you've not seen Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzuu (spelling varies) before and you're looking for a solid kids show, I'll re-recommend this one. I wish I had a lot more free time -- I'd love to rewatch parts of this at the very least, if not the entire thing. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Finished Majikoi S. It had its enjoyable bits, but it was too brief. We also had foreshadowing for some things, but it never happened. Kokoro and Monshiro routes were great atleast!
I still need to play the eroge some day. Awarded VN of the Year, wasn't it? And it just looks like a fun premise with a fun main female lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Charlotte
This show has been a huge letdown so far. I was pretty excited when I first saw the trailer for this, but so far it's just boring, and the humor is irritating and repetitive. Also the lack of Mr. Sleazeball is irritating.

Gangsta
Still my favorite show of the season. Not really much else to say.

God Eater
CHEESE! WHO LIKES CHEESE, BECAUSE GOD EATER DELIVERS IT! Every action movie cliche thrown into every episode. I hope you enjoy! I also forgot to mention that the art is weird. The character models don't blend into the background very well.

That's all I really feel like reporting on. I'm watching more, but eh.
Haven't seen any of these. No plans to currently either, but a friend in town did mention he was watching Charlotte. (Something about how "it's Aku no Hana except the Nakamura character is by day the school angel.") God Eater's title sounds too much like Soul Eater's. It confuses me. I dislike it for that alone!

What do you like about Gangsta? I need to look it up to remind myself what it's even about.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #6889
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm sigging that Talon. I've been waiting for someone to say something like that about Kiruminzoo's opening.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #6890
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Majikoi: Yeah, I'm pretty sure the first Majikoi was awarded the VN of the year. I haven't really had a look at what was available that year (2009?), but I think it deserves it. Kind of dumb, but it has a great cast of characters, good art, and some nice writing here and there (though it's pretty widely spread out). Majikoi S had a really high budget, so I wouldn't doubt the original doing really well.

Charlotte: Wasn't Aku no Hana some twisted romance? It's kind of a weird comparison if it is. Charlotte is mostly a "kids with superpowers" show that has been popular lately. They go along and tell other kids to beware the evil scientists who want to dissect them.

Gangsta: It's a bit difficult to say why I like it. I think I mostly just like it because the show is different. We have a deaf main character who likes killing shit, a stylish, shrewd older guy with a missing eye, and a tan prostitute who takes phonecalls. It's just such a cool show.

I might make a post in the thread, but Cinderella girls S2 is a large improvement over season 1.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:02 AM   #6891
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm sigging that Talon. I've been waiting for someone to say something like that about Kiruminzoo's opening.
Not only are you cheating by taking the URL out, making it a false/edited quote of what I actually posted, but you're doing Kiruminzuu a disservice. It needs more awareness.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #6892
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Been busy IRL the past few days, but have squeezed in a little time here or there to work on an OP post for a Himouto! Umaru-chan thread. My offer still stands to let Deo make the thread first if he likes since he's the one who brought the show up and seems to super like it, but having not heard anything back yet I will probably post a version of the thread tomorrow once I finish the OP post. If a thread goes up before then, I'll just rework the post's contents into a more Episode 01-centric discussion. Which should be easy to do seeing as I've held off watching any more of Umaru-chan until I get the post written.

Listening to the vocal version of "Negai ga Kanau Basho" / "The Place Where Wishes Are Granted", I feel confident once again that Clannad offers one of the greatest emotional payouts of any anime I've ever seen ... but man, what a slog journey to get there. Still. Anyone reading this who considers themselves no longer an anime newbie and who still hasn't seen Clannad owes it to themselves to check it out if for no other reason than After Story's pinnacle.

(願いが叶う場所Ⅱ, the lyricless music box version, remains the definitive version to listen to. For obvious reasons. But the vocal version is nice to listen to every now and then too.)

If Clannad is too boring, though, I'd also recommend Kanon (2006 ver.) if you haven't seen that yet. Kanon's a classic. I should probably re-watch that soon ... *adds to gargantuan to-do list*

Well shit, that's what I get for not being around. But that's cool, your thread trumped anything I could have made so I'll be glad to post in it.

I have Kanon on my watch list, and the girlfriend has already far more than insisted that I watch Clannad at some point, so I'm definitely going to
Old 08-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #6893
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Been pretty busy lately. That said, all I have is some weird news.

Apparently there was this remake of Doraemon that got cancelled. Instead of Doraemon, a robot girl from the future game back to help out Nobita. Except, the art was done by an H-artist, so you can imagine how extreme it was.

It was cancelled because the most recent chapter was "too lewd". I read the original on EXHentai, because that's the only place that apparently could host it, and it had a very rare "forbidden" tag.

Suffice to say, it was technically non-H, but I have no freaking idea how something like this was allowed in a legitimate manga serial. I mean the editors had to be high to let this piece of work get to the presses. Sweet Georgia Brown!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #6894
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Not only are you cheating by taking the URL out, making it a false/edited quote of what I actually posted, but you're doing Kiruminzuu a disservice. It needs more awareness.
Still true.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:57 AM   #6895
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

BBB doesn't believe me, so let's see if I can convince you folks.

What do you see here?

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #6896
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
BBB doesn't believe me, so let's see if I can convince you folks.

What do you see here?

Definitely not Hestia, that's for sure.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #6897
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I see:

the left breast of a well-endowed woman. Her right breast is barely in shot. Her left arm is in the center with a red string tied 'round it.

After a few more seconds, a second possibility emerges. The left breast could in fact be the entire chest of a flat-chested woman. The right breast could in fact be her right arm. It's not my first impression nor my primary guess, but what supports this interpretation are: 1) the fact that the white space on the very bottom left is not the same color as the white space bottom center, implying that while bottom center is torso bottom left is air/void/open space; and 2) the fact that the red cord goes up again at a sharp angle on the left of the picture, suggesting that it's heading towards her right arm instead of cupping a large off-screen right breast.

So I could see it either way. Large left breast or flat entire chest. While it's probably B knowing you, I gotta say that my initial impression is of A.

Edit: After posting, B seems more obvious. The white space on the bottom left is what does it. That's gotta be a flat-chested girl's entire torso, not one massive boob.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #6898
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

And the answer:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=49713321

Talon hit the bullseye. As Kamen touched on, it's a Hestia cosplay, and Hestia is well-endowed. But it struck me in convo to BBB that how the ribbon fell made it look like one gignatic breast if you abstracted the picture enough. He didn't see it even when I cropped it to make it more obvious, where the ribbon traces a line beneath both slight breasts and leaves the impression of a mammoth.

The disproportionate arm, and the fact that I'm bringing this to attention, are good enough clues that there's a trick to the picture, but one wouldn't be able to settle on that conclusion concretely with what information I provided.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #6899
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Hey, I've been looking to start properly watching anime for a while, and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations? I have literally no idea where to start and the sheer number of them out there's kind of overwhelming.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #6900
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
Hey, I've been looking to start properly watching anime for a while, and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations? I have literally no idea where to start and the sheer number of them out there's kind of overwhelming.
Depends what kind of show you're looking for and what you've previously seen. What have you seen? Which ones did you like? Are you looking for something similar, or would you like to branch out into something different?

Assuming you haven't seen it I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best anime that is a good 'gateway anime' whilst still being one of the best series out there. The original Fullmetal Alchemist is also good, slightly less so, but its a little bit darker and I don't think many people would say that they prefer the storyline in Fullmetal Alchemist, to Brotherhood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime