UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Favorite Anime Opening/Ending

Bah! I guess I'll be the one to make this. I guess this thread's for bringing openings or endings to attention that you think deserve the attention. I don't know about everyone else, but I'll list my favorites, and I'll mention any great openings or endings I come across in hopes that others will agree.

Top 3 openings: (that I can think of on the top of my head)
Zoku Zetsubou Sensei's second opening - I've always loved this opening. As annoying as the SHAFTness can be, I think it works great in openings. Not to mention the song's great as well.
Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzoo - The song for this is so god damn catchy and addicting. I'm still addicted to the damn song.
Pani Poni Dash's second opening - More SHAFTness! I don't think it's as nice visually as the Zetsubou opening, but the song itself is cute, catchy, and addicting.

Top 3 endings: (that I can think of on the top of my head)
Inukami episode 18 ending - Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! This masterpiece will always be my favorite ending! It's so god damn manly and awesome, that this ending alone is a good enough reason to watch through Inukami! Who needs fanservice when you can have MANservice?!
Dai Mahou Touge - This is so god damn badass. There might actually be better endings, but alot of anime endings are forgettable, so this is the second that came to mind.
I can't think of a third one for the list. I might put some more thought into this, but for now, those are the only two endings I can think of.

For some honorable mentions:
As I've said before, I really liked the Heartcatch Precure opening. I doubt it's many others' cup of tea, but it's one of the few openings I've actually bothered to download.

While Nichijou bored me so badly that I dropped it before finishing episode 1, the second opening is freaking awesome.

Well here's the thread. Have at it fellow anime goers! I'll mention any other openings or endings that I don't skip when watching.

Last edited by big bad birtha; 12-16-2011 at 02:11 AM.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I like OPs that have something to do with the anime/VN they're about. J-Pop singles are nice, but they rarely make for really memorable OPs.

So, most of the ones I like follow that criteria.

GaoGaiGar (Yuusha-Oh Tanjou!)
Sousei no Aquarion (Sousei no Aquarion)
Futari wa Pretty Cure! (Danzen!! Futari wa Pretty Cure!)
Mirai Nikki (Kuusou Mesorogiwi)
Muv-Luv

Secondary openings would have songs that really fit the anime.

Akagi (Nantokanare)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Fate/stay night (This Illusion)

I wonder if Talon will post Sugar Baby Love?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Top 5 Openings:

Natsume Yuujinchou S3 (No TV version available on YT) - If we're to talk about what I can personally relate to in the show, it’s the music. Disregarding the lyrics, this was the song that made me curious about the series in the first place.
Clannad After Story
Ano Hana (Mirrored)
School Rumble
FMA OP4

Top 5 Endings:

Nodame Cantabile ED1
Ouran High School Host Club
Ano Hana (No TV version available on YT)
Natsume Yuujinchou S1
Natsume Yuujinchou S2

Some honorable mentions:

Bakemonogatari ED1
Spiral ~ Suiri no Kizuna ED (For a laugh, check out the shitty OP to this series)
Natsume Yuujinchou S1 OP
Natsume Yuujinchou S2 OP
FMA ED1
Clannad ED
Kare Kano ED
Usagi Drop ED

And of course, who can forget this?

Will post other songs I like in the future, but this should do for now.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I guess I'll follow Yuki's lead with 5 entries per instead of bbb's more hardcore limitation of only 3. Even Yuki's limit of 5, though, proved to be insanely difficult. This post has taken me several days to come up with and I've had to leave some of my favorite OPs and EDs of all time out of the top five list because the competition was just that fierce. I tended to judge based on the whole package, meaning that a 9/10 song and a 9/10 video tended to beat out a 10/10 song but a 5/10 video (or vice versa). As such, you might find a few surprises amongst the Top 5 qualifiers as well as a few surprises amongst those who didn't quite make the cut. There were a lot of songs I omitted period because I knew they wouldn't stand a chance of being in the Top 5 but which I still love, so don't think that this list represents every OP or ED I've ever liked. (Far from it. XD) And with that said, here we go!

Top 5 OPs:
1. Minami-ke's Keikenchi Joushouchuu (Ayako fansub, creditless)
2. Elfen Lied's Lilium (English subs w/ Latin lyrics)
3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's Period (raw) (spoilers galore!)
4. ToLoveRu's Forever We Can Make It (creditless)
5. Spice & Wolf's Tabi no Tochuu (raw)

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Ano Hana's Aoi Shiori (raw, mirrored)
Carnival Phantasm's Super Affection (UTW fansubs)
Love Hina's Sakura Saku (Spanish fansub)
Magic Knight Rayearth's Yuzurenai Negai (creditless)
Naruto Shippuuden's Closer (mirror-reversed, Dattebayo fansub)
Planetes' Dive in the Sky (creditless)
School Rumble's Scramble (creditless)
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar's Sugar Baby Love (raw)
Witchblade's XTC (creditless)

Top 5 EDs:
1. Minami-ke's Colorful Days (creditless)
2. .hack//SIGN's Yasashii Yoake (creditless)
3. Hikaru no Go's Days (creditless)
4. Angelic Layer's The Starry Sky (creditless)
5. Yu-Gi-Oh's EYES (creditless)

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Carnival Phantasm's Fellows (Polish fansubs ^^;)
Clannad's Dango Daikazoku (creditless)
Gintama's Samurai Heart (lo-res to confuse data-checkers)
Minami-ke's Zettai Colorful Sengen (creditless)
ToraDora's Vanilla Salt (raw)

To learn more about how I came up with this list, expand the spoiler box below.

Spoiler: show
OP Top 5 Qualifiers:

Minami-ke's OP is my 1st place for a number of reasons.
  1. No OP sequence has ever exhilarated me more than this OP.
  2. I don't think I've listened to any anime song more than I have this OP.
  3. The OP does a fantastic job of showcasing what lies in store for viewers. I like OPs that do this and tend to frown on OPs that don't have any showcasing whatsoever.
  4. As for the art of brevity (i.e. saying much with little), Minami-ke's OP is the Sistine Chapel. You can discern so much about the characters from this short, ninety-second video.
  5. It's one of my favorite shows of all time.
List goes on.

The moment I remembered it existed towards the end of Day One writing this post, Elfen Lied's OP was a shoe-in for the Top 5. I placed it at 2nd place, right beneath Keikenchi Joushouchuu, and it has held that position ever since. Truly a masterpiece of an OP, it's only a shame that the show it's attached to, while one of my personal faves, really isn't all that great in the grand scheme of things. ^^; But the OP! Oh my, the OP. Exquisite artwork coupled with a haunting yet beautiful choral performance of a verse from the Bible makes this one of the classiest, awesomest OPs of all time.

The OP that managed to secure 3rd Place really surprised me that it was able to, but I think it's a testimony to just how good it is. Period is the fourth opening to the Fullmetal Alchemist remake Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and it's probably one of the best OPs I've ever seen in my life. The song alone may only get an 8/10 or a 9/10, the video alone may only get an 8/10 or a 9/10, but you put the two together and it's an amazing harmony which they produce. So much epicness in the series is contained in just this one OP, from Alphonse fighting Pride to the image of Alphonse's body in the Gate to Alex Louis Armstrong's sister's forces taking on Kimbley the Crimson Alchemist to Hohenheim standing on that hilltop overlooking Risenbool to ... the whole goddamn thing is very, very epic. The song's notes hit their highs right when the OP's visuals do, they hit their bridging lulls right when the OP does, everything is just perfectly "choreographed," if you will, and it makes for one really solid OP.

Forever We Can Make It is one of the spiciest, riskiest OPs I've ever seen in my life. But unlike what it could have been -- just another gratuitous T&A show -- ToLoveRu's first opening is a work of art. Truly! Never before have I seen someone come up with the idea of zooming in on a girl's knee-high socks and showing the first of the credits right there, embroidered into her socks as if they were a part of them. Never before have I seen someone then zoom in on a backpack strap piece and show the next of the credits. And then zoom in on a girl's suntanned breasts and show the third of the credits on the part of her now-exposed breast which failed to get tanned. And so on and so forth. But it isn't just the song which makes Forever We Can Make It one of the best OPs of all time, oh no. It's also thanks to the spectacular opening theme song by Thyme. It perfectly fits a harem show like this. It's one-part rock, one-part pop, and totally fun. The delivery is amazing (love the part at 1m06s how she says "give up") and it just really sells what was already a jaw-dropping "I can't believe they did that " opening.

And finally, we have the amazing Tabi no Tochuu, the opening to Spice & Wolf, seizing 5th Place. This one, I'll confess, is mostly sold by its amazing song. But were it the song alone, I don't think Tabi no Tochuu could have made my top five. Not with this level of competition. No, Tabi no Tochuu makes it into the Top 5 because coupled with the gorgeous and haunting song is one hell of a "Welcome to the HD era :3" opening. The part where the wagon travels underneath all of the golden-orange tree leaves at around 1m05s/1m06s is one of the most memorable cels for me in all of anime. It's just such a beautifully animated image and it really, really sells the idea that Horo and Lawrence are peddlers going around the country, no matter the season or weather, trying to eke out a living (Lawrence) and get home to her people (Horo).

OP Honorable Mentions:
Ano Hana's Aoi Shiori is fairly green, having only just showed up this past spring; but already, I think it's up there with some of the other great anime OPs of all time. While it might never be a Top 5 contender for me, it's certainly my favorite OP of the 2011 season and a strong addition to anyone's list. Fantastic opening visuals which sort of tell the story of the kids who have now grown up coupled with an awesome, awesome song performed by Galileo Galilei make this a pleasure to watch again and again.

Carnival Phantasm's Super Affection is another recent one and is more of a selfish personal inclusion. It never had a prayer to make the Top 5, but it's one of my favorite openings ever. It's just so fun.

Love Hina's Sakura Saku fought valiantly for a position in the Top 5 list and held on to 5th Place for the longest time before being bumped out by Spice & Wolf in the final moments before I completed this post. Love Hina's opening is quite simply one of the most memorable OPs of all time. The first time 99.9% of people hear the song, they're like, "What the fuck is this noise? " and don't care much for it. And yet universally by the time they finish the series, those same 99.9% are like "THIS IS THE BEST OPENING EVER! " So obviously I had to include it. It's really just that good. But ... the five I ranked above it, I truly, truly believe outclass it. That's just how many great OPs there are in the world -- that even the mighty Sakura Saku fails to make my Top 5 list. ^^;

Magic Knight Rayearth's Yuzurenai Negai needs no explanation. Perhaps the only thing that needs explaining is why it didn't make the Top 5. Simply, the competition was too stiff and MKR's animation is too old. A slightly re-tooled opening with perhaps some tweaks here or there as to how characters or events are showcased could easily launch this into the Top 3.

Naruto Shippuuden's Closer was a contender for the Top 5 list because of just how great Inoue Joe's voice is. He has the natural advantage of having grown up in the United States but was raised speaking Japanese from birth, giving him a wonderful California accent to his otherwise impeccable Japanese. Makes for a really pleasant singing voice to listen to. As for the video, this one previews a particularly tearjerking arc in the Naruto franchise. One can't help but to get emotional when one sees Shikamaru's crestfallen face.

Planetes' Dive in the Sky is one of my personal Top 5 OP Songs of all time. That stated, the video is a little too weak too warrant the inclusion of this (sadly) obscure OP in the pantheon of Top 5 greats.

School Rumble's Scramble is another OP I'm surprised to find here amongst the Honorable Mentions. It just goes to show that having a Top 5 is too restrictive! XP So many great and wonderful openings cruelly left ribbonless! One of the most memorable and popular OP songs of all time finds for its video partner a montage of scenes and animations which, while very good, are the limiting factor in this partnership between song and dance.

Stellvia's Asu e no Brilliant Road is a fantastic song but the video (link) is pretty weak. If it were just a little bit stronger, the song alone combined with it would have secured it a Top 5 spot. But, no dice.

Doppel had mentioned Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar's OP, Sugar Baby Love, as shoe-in for Top 5. When I started writing the post, I left the song off and couldn't help but wonder if I was doing it reactionarily in response to what Doppel had said. But when the second of three days writing this post wrapped up, it was quite clear that the delightful Sugar Baby Love was not going to be able to secure a spot in the top five. It's a wonderful opening and one of my personal favorites, but there are simply too many other OPs I like better.

Witchblade's XTC is a true work of art. The song and visuals both fit Witchblade very well. The singer sings about wanting to taste ecstasy one more time, something which has double meaning in Witchblade as it refers both to Masane's addiction to the Witchblade's power, a power which gradually consumes her, as well as to Masane's desire to be with her daughter once more. The "ecstasy" the singer speaks of is left intentionally ambiguous, but the visuals more than help to demonstrate the sexual nature of the Witchblade body armor. As Masane transforms into her witch form, she is shown arching backwards almost to the very limit of the human body's ability to bend that way, as if arcing from an intense orgasmic pleasure. Transformed, she traces her blood-stained fingers along her plump butt cheeks. The whole thing is very sexual, but it's supposed to be (or at least, in my interpretation of the events it is , YMMV). Punctuating the OP -- and Masane's intoxication with sex the effects of the suit -- are memories of her daughter, and Masane is shown crying, her humanity peeking out from beneath the suit, her desire to be with her daughter overriding, if only temporarily, her desire to give in to the pleasure, to let the suit consume her, and to kill, kill, kill. It's one hell of an OP, and I'm really sad to have had to have left it off of the Top 5 list, but again: so much competition. @_@

ED Top 5 Qualifiers:
Minami-ke snags the top spot once again with its first ED theme song and video, Colorful Days. This is in part a testimony to just how much I love Minami-ke but is also in part a real testimony, in my opinion, to just how objectively awesome Minami-ke is. I could gush and gush on and on at length, but for now I'll simply say: a 10/10 song meets a 10/10 ED visual and makes for an excellent and unforgettable ending.

.hack//SIGN's Yasashii Yoake is a veteran who has weathered the scars of battle over the years as countless other EDs have vied with it for supremacy of the Best EDs leaderboards. But to this day, I think that Yasashii Yoake remains one of the best endings I've ever seen. Amazing song and very artistics (if simple) visuals. Admittedly, this is more a case of the song pulling the video along by its bootstraps than the video being just as powerful as the song it goes with, but still: bootstraps or no bootstraps, Yasashii Yoake is the sort of song which I think should be on anyone's Top 10 list and which handily makes it onto my Top 5.

Hikaru no Go's Days might prove to be a controversial nomination because it's one of the only ones which you're not going to be able to enjoy nearly as much as you should unless both of these things are true: (1) you've seen the show and (2) you can understand the words. If neither of these hold true, then this is exactly the sort of ED which you'd say, "I really like this one, but unfortunately I can't justify putting it onto my Top 5 list." But if you've seen the show, and if you know what the words mean, then this is like Tear City and it just has to go on the list. And for me, it weighs in at 3rd Place. Beautiful, sad, unforgettable.

Angelic Layer's The Starry Sky takes an amazing song belted out by HAL and couples it with a video montage that showcases all of Misaki's friends and rivals ... only to then reveal, emotionally, at the very end that this was a video diary recorded (or put together, or both) by Ichirou and that, most probably unbeknownst to Misaki, he sent it Shouko, her wheelchair-bound mother and the person she most desperately wants to see in all the world. Kind of like Days above it, The Starry Sky's placement on this list, then, might confuse you if you've never seen the show. "So what? " you may wonder. "So she's in a wheelchair. And she got e-mailed a video diary. I don't get it." And that's why you'd need to see the show first. To get it. And then cry.

Capping off the Top 5 Anime Endings of All Time, for me, is the fifth ending to the original Yu-Gi-Oh!, Eyes. The video is ridiculously symbolic, showing all of the Millenium Item holders as they are reincarnated today and then as they were in life when the Spirit of the Millenium Puzzle knew them; also showing how Bakura came to be associated with the Millenium Ring and what happened to its original bearer; and also showing, in the background, an hourglass that seems to be running out of sand as the Pharaoh furiously charges down the Egyptian sands atop his loyal steed, trying to reach something before time runs out. Again, you'd probably have to see Yu-Gi-Oh! (and like Yu-Gi-Oh!) to agree with this one making the Top 5, but for me, it's a no-brainer, and even had it not made the Top 5, it would have been a shoe-in for the Honorable Mentions.

ED Honorable Mentions:
Carnival Phantasm's Fellows is probably my favorite lyrical anime song of 2011. Seriously. But that stated, the ending video -- while awesome -- is "LOL, no way, Jose " unworthy of a spot in a Top 5 list. ^^;

Clannad's Dango Daikazoku is one of the most memorable endings I've ever seen. But for me, it just isn't a Top 5 contender.

Gintama's Samurai Heart (lo-res to confuse data-checkers) is a great ending that grows on you with time, but it's mostly because of the song and it's also got too steep of competition to secure a spot in the Top 5. Still: one hell of an ending theme song.

Minami-ke's Zettai Colorful Sengen (creditless) originally was in my Top 5 list sitting at spot #3. And then it got bumped down to #4 ... and then to #5 ... and then, sorrowfully, I had to take it off the list and relocate it here along with the other hopefuls. ^^; It's one of my favorite endings ever, but that's largely because I love Minami-ke so much. Neither the song nor the video are quite as good as their sister, Colorful Days, and in the end there were simply too many other great EDs for me to justify giving Minami-ke two of the five precious Top 5 ED spots.

ToraDora's Vanilla Salt (raw) would have made the Top 5 list, I can promise you this, but for the fact that the ending video is just way too simple and unimpressive. The song itself is amazing and is basically, for all intents and purposes, the Tsundere Anthem. In this sense alone, Vanilla Salt deserves a Top 5 spot because, like the ToLoveRu OP Forever We Will Make It, Vanilla Salt is a work of art. The song itself transcends ToraDora, for which it was written, and pretty much represents every single story that has ever had a tsundere as the main character. Love Hina, the song would fit. Shakugan no Shana, the song would fit. Any story where the main character was a tsundere girl and the other main character was the boy who fell in love with her, this song is her theme song. But yeah: as much as I love it and as much as I mad-respect the lyrics, the video just isn't strong enough to earn this one a spot in the Top 5.

Last edited by Talon87; 12-18-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Aw, you had to post your list after I came home to slow internet, didn't you? XP Nah, jk. Will look forward to listening to your samples when I return.

To clarify, my top five are simply based on how much I like the song. The visuals or relevance to the show weren't necessarily factors in my choices. I'm not even that big a fan of Aoi Shiori's TV version, but I adore the second verse when the girl chimes in too much not to include it.

It probably would've been easier for me to limit OPs to three, since I tend not to like many OPs compared to EDs. Felt awkward even adding School Rumble and FMA alongside the other three just to pad out the list. My top five ED list, on the other hand, is where I ran into fierce competition.

Forgot to mention Fellows, but I figured you'd cover it. XP
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Wow, I'm surprised to have seen a Yu-gi-oh Ed on someone's list, though there was certainly some good songs I liked from that show and definitely don't disagree with the choice. Made me all nostalgic Talon, and now I want to watch it again, curse you.

I haven't really considered my favorite OP/EDs much, but I guess I'll add what I can muster to fit the list. Unfortunately I have so many more OPs I like then Eds.. Limiting to 5 and then filling out five may be difficult.

In no particular order atm (well, except the first one in each list is the best):

OPs
Madlax - Hitomi no Kakera
Last Exile - Cloud Age Symphony (Full Version) - Unfortunately, I find the full version rather lacking compared to the shortened version, particularly where it gets repetitive, but they're both good.
Clannad - Megumeru
Clannad After Story - Toki wo Kizamu Uta
C3 Cube x Cursed x Curious OP2 - Shirushi (can only be fully appreciated if you see the first OP, Endless Story first.)

EDs
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi - Utsusemi (Full Version
Morestu Uchuu Kaizoku - Lost Child
Yu-gi-oh - EYES
Onegai Twins - Asu e no Namida
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Strikers - Beautiful Amulet

Honerable Mention
To Aru Majutsu No Index OP1 - PSI-Missing (Full Version)
To Aru Kagaku No Railgun OP1 - Only My Railgun (Full Version)
Toaru Majutsu No Index ED1 - Rimless/Fuchinashi no Sekai
Morestsu Uchuu Kaizoku OP - Mōretsu Uchū Kōkyōkyoku - Dai-Shichi Gakushō "Mugen no Ai"/Extreme Space Symphony's Movement VII "Infinite Love"
Yu-gi-oh 5Ds ED - Cross Game

Maybe I'll sort through them later and make a more official list, but for now, this is what I have.

Edit:
Had to bump some off my list and add an honorable mention, as I've found better recently, and don't have enough room in 5 to cover everything I like.

Last edited by unownmew; 02-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Can we also use this thread to discuss OPs and EDs? Or is this just intended as a place for our Top # Lists? Going to go ahead and discuss this OP I found rather than make a whole new thread for it ...

Also, it's not an OP for an anime. But it is an animated OP. It's from an eroge, you see. So ... does it count? Yes? No? Maybe so?

This is the opening video to the eroge Makai Tenshi Djibril 4, the fourth in the Makai Tenshi Djibril series and the God knows what number in the overall Djibril franchise. A perennial favorite of lolikons, this is a series that I've never touched with even a ten-foot pole. And judging from the girls' character designs, I probably never will touch the games. But the OP, on the other hand ...

First, let's discuss the visuals and the overall presentation. One look at this video and you can tell that Makai Tenshi Djibril is a blockbuster series. This video is just incredible. Its sense of art and flair, its computer-generated visuals, its remarkable character art, the whole thing looks and feels like an anime OP, and from a rather high-budget anime at that. Aside from the way they create the number "4" at the beginning, the first 30-40 seconds of the video aren't all that visually impressive. However, right around the 40-second mark, it's clear that someone with his Ph.D in art design takes control of the helm and holy shit. This is one classy, snazzy, well put together OP! The part at 1m02s is adorable. The part at 1m12s is awesome, taken down a peg in my book only by the fact that the main girl's body contortion is, by its nature, kinda sexual and thus inappropriate for one so young to be doing. (It's like watching your ten-year old daughter try and impersonate Britney Spears. ) (Though I'm sure the target audience considers this a plus, not a minus! ) All in all, the visuals are very nice.

Second, let's discuss the song. This is the pièce de résistance. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. This thing is just too damn cute, too damn catchy, too damn pop-techno-awesome. I have probably listened to this song an unhealthy number of times in the past 24 hours. lol Your mileage may vary, but if you're like me, you'll be reaching for the album before long. (Hint: h t t p : / / w w w . m e d i a f i r e . c o m / and then append ? l f t i x 3 h 3 4 1 1 1 b 1 3 , all without spaces.)

All in all, this seems like a solid OP. Were I into loli, this OP would pretty much have single-handedly sold me on the game. As it is, it still sold me on the OP & ED album. lol *shakes head, smiling* Who would have thought? Me, of all people? Downloading anything with the name "Djibril" in it? I bet the temperature in Hell has dropped one degree since. If you do happen to like loli, and if you also happen to like eroges, then this may well be worth investigating. I have no idea if it's been translated into English or not but given the popularity of the franchise it would not surprise me if it has been.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-11-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I remember that opening. There is an amazing Touhou version of that opening. I do agree though, it's a great opening. Too bad I'm not into brutal tentacle/monster rape or NTR or else I'd give the title a closer look. Djibril is pretty well known for its openings. I wonder how many people see the adorable openings, then become disturbed when they look at the contents of the game.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I remember that opening. There is an amazing Touhou version of that opening. I do agree though, it's a great opening. Too bad I'm not into brutal tentacle/monster rape or NTR or else I'd give the title a closer look. Djibril is pretty well known for its openings. I wonder how many people see the adorable openings, then become disturbed when they look at the contents of the game.
Looks like we have opposite problems. (I don't really see how netorare could play in with girls so young, but it's one of my favorite fetishes when done right, so ... )

And that Touhou OP is amazing. Wow. They did a really good job editing the details in in most places. And I really love how they decided to make Meimei and Maimai into Yukari and Yuyuko. It fits so perfectly, especially if they're going to make the game feature Youmu alongside Reimu and Marisa.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
InnerFlame
Pokemon Trainer

Well I typically read Mangas more than watch Animes. And the few I know off the top of my head have already been posted. But I have an opening song that I just adore from an anime I've recently watched.

Openings

No. 6 opening (Spell)- Normally after listening to the opening theme completely for a few episodes (if I like it), I just skip it and go straight to the story. But this one I just wanted to stop and listen to it every time. The anime is short like 12 episode (maybe only one season) but I never once got tired of it. I just love the song and the animation is a bit cute to, seeing the characters when they were kids. Though I really just like the song.

Endings

No. 6 ending (Rokutosei no Yoru )- I also like the ending the song is so cute I like how it contrast with the opening. The opening animation was all serious despite the catchy song. While the ending is absolutely childish with them playing in the snow and has a soft, beautiful song.

Disgaea ending (Kusari)- A long time favorite ending I cannot find the actual ending with the animation but I really just enjoy listening to the song by itself. This is the first ending I just kept listening to over and over instead going to the next episode without getting bored of it. I still listen to it now.
InnerFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

We enjoyed those songs from No.6 too. Or at least I did. (Not everybody liked the OP ... ^^; ) We never did make a thread for No.6 -- we were too lazy! ^^; -- and unfortunately the board lies to you and claims that there are zero search results if you try to search for posts containing "No.6", I have no idea why , but you can find the first of our No.6-related discussion posts here in our catch-all discussion thread. And you'll notice in that very post that I gush about the OP. This post is where I first mention liking the ending.

You gotta realize: (1) we've probably seen a lot more shows that you, (2) everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and (3) it's damn difficult to pick only up to five songs to list in your Top OPs/EDs list. That's why I don't think you'll find the OP or ED to No.6 making any of the veteran members' lists in this thread. However, that doesn't mean that we didn't like the songs or the visuals. Nor does it mean that, for you personally, the OP and ED to that show don't deserve to be listed in your Top 5 list.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
InnerFlame
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
We enjoyed those songs from No.6 too. Or at least I did. (Not everybody liked the OP ... ^^; ) We never did make a thread for No.6 -- we were too lazy! ^^; -- and unfortunately the board lies to you and claims that there are zero search results if you try to search for posts containing "No.6", I have no idea why , but you can find the first of our No.6-related discussion posts here in our catch-all discussion thread. And you'll notice in that very post that I gush about the OP. This post is where I first mention liking the ending.

You gotta realize: (1) we've probably seen a lot more shows that you, (2) everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and (3) it's damn difficult to pick only up to five songs to list in your Top OPs/EDs list. That's why I don't think you'll find the OP or ED to No.6 making any of the veteran members' lists in this thread. However, that doesn't mean that we didn't like the songs or the visuals. Nor does it mean that, for you personally, the OP and ED to that show don't deserve to be listed in your Top 5 list.
You don't need to convince me I can tell all of that just from reading the musical list and thinking: 'Never heard of that or that... oh I read manga of that didn't even know it was an anime too' I figure you've guys probably seen more anime than me. I've listened to all the opening posted here and I agree some are really good and made want to watch it, even though some made me feel that I wouldn't like it. I read through yours (Doppleganger and YUKI.N) discussion involving No. 6 until they kind of dropped off it (at least YUKI.N did) and I kind of agree with what you guys said. You guys discussed it so thoroughly tis too bad it so far back there and I don't think I should rekindle it. I don't think I would be able to add much anyways.

Anyway back about music I wouldn't mind at all even if all the veterans here told me that they hated the song with a passion. Everyone is different and everyone has the right to like or dislike whatever they want. All I care is that I like it and there is nothing wrong with that and if someone else likes it then that's cool too. I have music we don't like, mine is a rap and heavy metal music with very few exception. Anyways I'll be leaving now, I don't have anything else to add that follows the thread topic but I think I'll check out the suggestion box and see what being watched recently by you guys. Ciao.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerFlame View Post
I've listened to all the opening posted here and I agree some are really good and made want to watch it, even though some made me feel that I wouldn't like it. I read through yours (Doppleganger and YUKI.N) discussion involving No. 6 until they kind of dropped off it (at least YUKI.N did) and I kind of agree with what you guys said. You guys discussed it so thoroughly tis too bad it so far back there and I don't think I should rekindle it. I don't think I would be able to add much anyways.
I was at home at the time it was airing and didn't have much access to hi-speed internet, so my posts were more spread out. You're always welcome to discuss with us if you want, we're happy to receive newcomers and opinions.

Out of curiosity, which OPs/EDs sparked your interest? And which ones did you already know?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Man, I keep forgetting to post in this thread since it's hard to come up with the best of the best when it comes to theme songs! Time to give this an attempt...

Openings:

Ayakashi - HEAT ISLAND (Tenshu Monogatari arc)
GTO - Driver's High
Trigun - Trigun theme - This one's a classic!

Endings:

Gankutsuou - You won't see me coming
Generator Gawl - Kore wo koi to iemashou ka - I still haven't seen this anime, but Tomato Juice!
Dragon Half - Watashi no Tamagoyaki - Set to Beethoven's 7th!

Honorable Mentions:

Initial D - Blast my Desire - It's essentially a music video for the band, with a few clips from the anime itself thrown in. w
Shinchan - FUNimation opening - Essentially a 5-second clip from this. Hey, sometimes brevity is a quality!
Pokemon - Hitoribocchi ja nai - Hey, what's Pokemon doing on this board?! :P

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
InnerFlame
Pokemon Trainer

Okay took me while but I'm answer all them in which the appeared in the thread. Now that I type them down I actually like a lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

Out of curiosity, which OPs/EDs sparked your interest?
Zoku Zetsubou Sensei- I read the manga so I was little surprise to see it was also an anime. I thought the opening was quite fitting for it.

Anyamaru Tentei Kiruminzuu- It just looked and sounded so cute but something screaming at me that it going to be one of those random animes that I sometime like.

Pani Poni Dash- The sound okay but I also feel it’ll be like the one above crazy anime and I feel it’s going to be a girl universe (no or little guys).

Inukami- I think I’m more curious about what this anime is about more than anything. I doubt the muscluar guys have much to do with the story but it still caught my attention. I really enjoy the ending with lot of manservice.

Sousei no Aquarion- Catching opening, but I rarely like/stick with anime with giant robots. It does looks like it good though.

Muv-Luv- Is that a dating sim game? I always wanted to play one even though most I find seem to be a boy going for girls…

Natsume Yuujinchou San S3 opening- It was a lovely upbeat song. The lyrics sounded pretty and it had a nice beat.

Natsume Yuujinchou S2 ending- Very pretty and rather cute visual; his future friends maybe?

Minami-ke- Very catchy and the opening makes me piques my interest in the anime.

ToLoveRU- I really like the song the opening visual itself has too much fanservice that makes me think I should stay away.

Planetes- I’m just humming to the song as I watch and I think this look incredibly boring… I know, I know nothing about it but looks historic and history has always been my least favorite subject.

Witchblade- Listen to that guitar solo at the beginning, nice drum beat. Sing it boy! Rock on! I don’t even care about the fanservice ‘cause the song is so nice but the visuals were otherwise okay.

Madlax- Ooo, nice used of the flute. It has a nice, happy sounding song despite all of the guns that screams: violence, blood and death to me. It very colorful and makes me a bit curious.

Cube x Cursed x Curious- There not like the harmonize sound of instruments and voices blending together helping one other; I miss orchestra class. As I was watch the beginning I was just thinking: Open eyes and switch! Then where it was the guy again I was like Open eyes and something new! Haha, the opening was interest with lots so showing off characters. Then there was the appearing and disappearing I wonder what it’s about.

To Aru Majutsu OP- A little techno sound here with sound define instrument like piano playing. It started out like it a peaceful looking city to let’s fight magical powers and mythical weapons! And this silver-haired right here is very important kind of hinting at the end. Seems interesting.

Morestu Pirates OP- I like how it has a bit of a classical music sound to it as well as it has pop music feel as well. The opening animation like: ‘I’m space pirate, now I’m normal girl!’ Going back and forth between too different personas of the characters, it makes me wonder.

Ayakashi- The way the instruments are played makes it fit so well with the images of samurais and olden times in Japan yet still and a funky beat to it. The way voice sing make me think a bit of rap yet I really enjoy the combination of all of that; it works well.

GTO- At the beginning, I was confused because I was watching a toilet flush... Cue the guitar and drums; they sound pretty good. It’s really good opening with the black and white and grayscale for most animation only using color to attract your attention to words. I get a delinquent, bad boy feel from it.

Ganktsuou- ♪Won’t see me comin’~~~ until I strike!♪ XD English is seem so long since I heard you. I started singing along which I sometimes try to do with Japanese but it hard because it’s not my language. The animation was very confusing and hard for me to follow and try to understand I’m afraid but the song is awesomely catchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

And which ones did you already know?
Akagi- My brother introduce me to the series I didn’t finish it. The main character is frickin’ scary; just breaking people's spirit. The song is really nice though.

I can’t believe he was only thirteen before the time skip.

Higuarshi no Naku Koro ni- I’ve watched the series all the way through despite it being very bloody I quite enjoyed it. I think most of their opening are really nice.

Full Metal Alchemist- I watch this series but I was a bit of a on and off watcher. I tend to enjoy their endings and openings, the fourth one was my favorite.

Ouran High School Club ending- I just like the beat and the guitar riff at the beginning really nice. I watched it but never finished the series.

Bakemongatari- I’ve watch it, but didn’t want to finish it. I like the opening for it.

Clannad ED- I’ve watched all of it and I enjoy the ending song. Never when to After Story. I think I’m fine with just watching the first one. Cute Dango song :3 I saw a very cute Pikachu one posted.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi end- With the internet memes of it, good thing I like the song. I sometimes want to learn the dance.

Yugioh- though the manga is so much worst, I started off watch it. And though I skipped a good amount I remember that ending song. It’s nice.

ToraDora- Like that Anime there was one melody in the actual show that I really adored. If I found it I’ll post it. I do like that ending.

Clannad Opening- Sweet and rather simple make think of the show. Is the xylophone in the beginning; it’s really nice sound Listens to those string instruments: the violins sound so pretty at the end.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #16
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Openings: Reborn! Opening 2: Boys & Girls
Chi's New Address
Azumanga Daioh
Steel Angel Kurumi

Endings: The Tomato Juice song- Generator Gawl
Dragon Half

Man, I remembered more old anime openings/closings than I thought I would. The Dragon Half only being two episodes when the manga is one of my all time favorites is one of the great tragedies.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Excellent choice of endings, Muyo. You are a man of taste and refinement for sure.
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Bouken Desho Desho
Again
Period
Fairy Tail Opening 3
I also liked some others, but I seemed to have forgotten which ones I did...

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Last edited by Coolz8; 04-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I meant to do this last season, but there were no openings or endings that jumped out at me. This season, there's two good ones I might actually bother to download.

Tsuritama's opening: This is so fucking catchy and awesome. The dance is pretty awesome too.

Hyouka's opening: This one sounds very pretty, and is very nice visually.

This is unrelated to my actual opinion to the opening, but it's another case of "Wakamoto makes everything better". Wakamoto doing the Nyarlko opening.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Hyouka's opening: This one sounds very pretty, and is very nice visually.
Pretty sure this is sung by Choucho, who started out as a nico nico artist (and did one of my favorite covers of Just Be Friends).

I'm not too impressed with the OP, personally, particularly since it copies the Haruhi S2 ED effect with mosaic faces in the background. The black flashes feel sort of unprofessional; they remind me more of AMV editing.

If you like the song though, you might want to check out the OP to Kamisama no Memochou.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The ending theme to Kanon 2006, Kaze no Tadori Tsuku Basho, is one of the best songs I've heard, EVEN with the out of place hip hop portion. Heck, it grew on me after a while. It's just awkward how you're listening to this light, cheerful song, then this guy suddenly comes out of nowhere and starts rapping about how you'll GET YO HEAD SNAPPED if you mess around with him! But the singing as a whole isn't what makes this song great. It's all about that techno beat and the DOO DOO DOOOOOOOOs. An unfortunate thing is that the best parts of this song don't come out in the shortened, TV version.

As for the video, well, what more do you need than Ayu running endlessly through a field? It brings me back to my youth, when I would bound through this meadow in the winter on my way to school, because I was always late. 'Course, I didn't look so damn cute doing it.

It's impossible for me to listen to this song and not get put into a good mood, start bouncing around and doing Night at the Roxbury-esque head movements. It's up there with Minami-ke's OP in that regard. Speaking of which, I agree with Talon that it's really great. The ED on the other hand ... good, but not 5 star like the OP is. If you put Minami-ke's ED up against Kanon 2006's, Kanon wins easily.

Damn, Kanon 2006. 2006? Has it really been that long?

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzoo - The song for this is so god damn catchy and addicting. I'm still addicted to the damn song.
Out of nowhere, I started thinking the chorus to the song inside my head. On a whim, I decided to listen to the song for the first time in the months since you posted this thread and I listened to it ... I don't even know how many times. Well, I think I've listened to it like 10 times already tonight. ^^; Not a fan of the opening or ending bits, but from like 0m20s on to 1m17s or so, it's fun times. And the chorus ... the chorus! @_@ So addictive. ^^;
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
TheMidnightScene
Pokemon Trainer

my top 5 openings would be
1. Sentimental Generation - Tokito Ami ( School Rumble )
2. Kimi + Boku = Love - Lovely complex theme song
3. Eternal Snow- Full Moon Wo Sagashite
4. Let me Be with you- Chobits

Endings
1. Raison d'etre - Chobits ending
2. Zetsubō Billy - Maximum the Hormon ( Death Note )
3. BON BON - Hey! Say! ( Lovely Complex )
Thats all I can think of right now :p
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yeah! Zetsobou Billy rules. The song opens with some angry guitar riffs, which synergizes well with Light standing ominously in front of an army of police officers, as he glares into the camera. And what is the significance of those police officers facing the other direction, marching away from him? I do not know, but probably something deep. Then we get the lyric, "I am truly a death pirate!" as Light flies down (up?) an elevator shaft, and finally a brief shot of him open shirted, showing off his hot bod. Looking thick, solid, tight!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Pastel Pure, the opening to Maria-sama ga Miteru, is a personal favorite which I've found myself humming in my head these past few days following a discussion with Yuki which brought MariMite back to front and center of my consciousness. I don't think the opening can objectively compete with a lot of the other entries in my original post but like I say it's a personal favorite. I personally prefer the lyricless version of Season 1, but I know many people prefer the lyrical version of Season 2 so here it is for those of you who want to listen to that one instead.

While I'm bumping this thread, some picks from the Spring or Summer 2012 lineup ...

(spoiler tagged due to length. No spoilers for any series inside, I promise)
One ending I enjoy listening to is the second Uchuu Kyoudai ending "Kokuhaku". By no means a contender for my list of best endings ever, I really do love the song once it kicks into the chorus. It doesn't seem to fit Uchuu Kyoudai as well as it would, say, a romance-based adventure, but I really love the lyrics:
好きになってもいいですか? (Is it okay if I fall in love with you?)
I think I love you I think I do
恋してもいいですか (Is it okay if I love you?)
Say you love me
And then the TV version delightfully skips over the entire second verse and jumps straight into the second chorus:
そばにいてもいいですか (Is it okay if I stay by your side?)
I think I love you I think I do
手をつないでもいいですか (Is it okay if we holds hands?)
Say you love me too
Like, I don't really know what a song like this is doing here in Uchuu Kyoudai considering how minor the show's only romance, Mutta x Serika, has been thus far. It's even more confusing considering the visuals correspond with the series' main two male characters, the Nanba brothers, when they were kids and imagined traveling into space in a rocketship built from cardboard and duct tape. But even if it's out of place, I still like the song. ^_^ Nice melody, nice passionate performance, and the right lyrics to go with that performance.

The ending to Oda Nobuna no Yabou, "Hikari", is surprisingly solid as far as J-pop theme songs go. It's the sort of song quality Sword Art Online can only dream of. (Man are SAO's OP and ED disappointing! ^^; ) Again, by no means a contender for a list of top anime endings of all time, but at the very least out of the series I've been following this summer this ending probably deserves a nod.

One of my favorites this season, and a personal surprise, is the second ending to Hyouka, "Kimi ni Matsuwaru Mystery". This one's got the full package: great song, great animation, a fun theme that fits the characters in the series proper, and is just generally something I never, ever skip to rush to the sneak peek for. It surprises me that I like this one so much because normally I hate it when animation studios do artsy-fartsy shit and plant the girls in masculine costumes, and the costumes of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are so iconic you can't argue them as being gender ambiguous, and yet I really do enjoy this one. The look on the girls faces when they handcuff the boys and look all lovey-dovey is so cute. Then the surprised looks they exchange when they find out the boys have escaped? Awesome. Then the looks on their faces as they chase after the boys in the car? Priceless. The ending pulls off what the series has also done so well: moe, moe, and more moe.

Speaking of Hyouka and taking a step back to Spring 2012, the first opening, "Yasashisa no Riyuu", is probably my favorite J-pop OP or ED song of 2012. Yuki likes the second opening better; me, I prefer this one. It reminds me a lot of other similar-sounding J-pop songs I've enjoyed, like Bakemonogatari's "Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" for example. Both Hyouka OPs are fine songs, but for me the choice is clear: "Yasashisa no Riyuu." And the lyrics? Oh, the lyrics! Peg Oreki to a tee.

Before the series all but died to me -- I may be exaggerating a bit and may be willing to forgive it come this Saturday night, we'll see -- I was a huge fan of Galneryus' song "Hunting for Your Dream," the second ending theme song to the 2011 Hunter x Hunter reboot. The chorus is just wonderful. Could listen to that sucker looped like twenty times in a row. The ending is actually pretty nice visually too. I like the direction the director did with it. One of the greatest visual endings ever? No. But good. Very solid. Accomplishes what an ending for a series like this should accomplish and then goes the extra mile by accomplishing it well. I just wish we could see Shizuku better and longer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime