UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #3876
deoxys
Fog Badge

And before someone comes in here making a big stink about Mozz being banned for a month, don't make me go through the thread quoting all of the racist bullshit he has expressed over his tenure. Flagrant continual breaking of Rule 3. We've quite frankly had enough.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #3877
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
I believe that the government has a responsibility to offer asylum to refugees regardless of who they are, though. If refugees really are coming to the US and acting violently, which I honestly doubt they are, I would rather take a look at the systems that we use to process the refugees than stop taking in refugees or take in only specific refugees who are squeaky clean and wealthy.
This is what's cause a lot of anti-Islamic sentiment in Europe, especially the richer EU nations like Germany and the UK. One country accepts refugees from Syria, the refugees use the EU's open borders to travel to the richest countries (because why wouldn't you?) but IS fighters are concealed within their ranks. Leading to the acts of terrorism and the populace getting upset over the refugees in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
This is pretty solid. The motto of "invade the world, invite the world", which has been done by presidents of both parties, is a death sentence for a prosperous country. I would have no problem setting a quota of, say, 500k immigrants a year, and bringing in the best from a variety of countries. The Somalians, much like the "Syrian" refugees plaguing Europe, are low IQ, low skill, low education, generally low upside for the host population.
My grandfather cooperated with US forces during World War II, was promised a visa to the US, and was granted one the year after he died. He waited 50 years for it.

My aunt and uncle, who are coming to the US this year, were petitioned the year before I was born. They've waited 25 years.

I don't agree, necessarily, that countries like the US should only accept top-flight talent, because that induces brain drain in the poorer countries and breaks apart families. Combined with corruption like in the Philippines, it gets to the point where you have to pretty much game/abuse the system to get what you want. If you play by the rules, like my family did, the promises go unfulfilled.

What you want, I think, is to prevent the poorer country from importing the poverty aspects of its culture into the US. Like going to the ER if a baby has a cough. Or spending money on liquor/cigarettes instead of saving it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #3878
deoxys
Fog Badge

The amount of sudden posturing and bullying on Sessions to try and get him to investigate Hillary for her BUTTERY MALEZ and UKRAINIAN COLLUSION smells of scapegoating and desperation - he's gearing up to fire him and replace him with someone who will end the Russia investigation.

These aren't the actions of an innocent man lmao

Rumblings that Tillerson is miserable and wants to quit over how he is treating Sessions, too
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 AM   #3879
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah it's really dumb. Trump is seriously stupid, Sessions is actually doing his job.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #3880
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Oh man John McCain.

Sometimes I wonder if the US would've been better off in the long run if he'd beaten Obama to the Presidency.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #3881
Snorby
Snackin'

I honestly believe he wouldn't have survived his term, and the mere concept of President Palin makes it abundantly clear we would've been much worse off lol

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #3882
Talon87
時の彼方へ

From Reddit:
I'm not sure if it's really being appreciated just how comprehensively the Republicans were just fucked over.

See, the Republicans have been trying to pass these godawful healthcare bills through a process called budget reconciliation, which, among other things, protects the bill from being filibustered in the Senate and only requires a simple majority of 50 votes (rather than 60, which the Republicans don't have).

The thing is, the Senate can only consider one budget reconciliation bill per topic per year. Of course, if the bill dies in committee and never comes to an official vote, it doesn't count- which is why they've been able to keep hammering away at the issue.

This bill, though, was allowed to come to the Senate floor, because the Republicans thought they'd secured the votes. Collins, Murkowski and the Democrats would vote no, everyone else would vote yes, and Pence would break the tie. And then McCain completely fucked them. And it was almost certainly a calculated move; he voted to allow the bill to come to the floor. Had McCain allowed it to die in committee, McConnell could have come back with yet another repeal bill; but he let it come to a vote, and now they can't consider another budget reconciliation bill for the rest of the fiscal year. The Senate needs 60 votes to pass any kind of healthcare reform now.

So now they're caught between a rock and a hard place. Either they concede defeat on the issue and try again later (causing a big, unpopular stink that could damage elections if they try it before the midterms, or risking losing the slim majority they already have if they wait) or they actually sit down with the democrats like adults and write a halfway decent healthcare bill.

This is amazing.
Didn't know this "budget reconciliation bill" bullshit was even a thing. But apparently it is. And if what the Redditor quoted above has had to say is true, then it sure does seem like McCain's move was heavily calculated. He won't be able to run for President again -- even when he tried in 2008, he was already plagued with public concerns about his likelihood to die in office; it's the primary reason his run was torpedoed by selecting Sarah Palin for his running mate -- so I am curious why he would make this move. Is it as simple as "because it was the right thing to do"? Or is their an ulterior motive we're not aware of that isn't "because he's preparing for a presidential bid in 2020" (because lol no that's not going to happen)?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #3883
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah potentially, but can you imagine how much less nutty the Republican party could be if they'd had eight years of the Presidency in someone independent-minded and fairly bipartisan? It's hard to imagine them picking Trump without the hyperpartisan anti-Obama sentiment fuelled by people like McConnell and Ryan.

>Talon

From what I've seen of McCain, I genuinely get the impression he's more interested in the effective running of the country than playing political games or sticking it to the other guy. He strikes me as being "conservative" rather than "a conservative" - ie naturally cautious and inclined to stick with what works reasonably well rather than risk screwing things over with major changes unless he's super convinced they won't cause unforseen problems, rather than married to partisanship or some idealogocal dogma. I believe he torpedo'd this because he thought it was a bad bill. /2cents

Last edited by Concept; 07-28-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #3884
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
From what I've seen of McCain, I genuinely get the impression he's more interested in the effective running of the country than playing political games or sticking it to the other guy. He strikes me as being "conservative" rather than "a conservative" - ie naturally cautious and inclined to stick with what works reasonably well rather than risk screwing things over with major changes unless he's super convinced they won't cause unforseen problems, rather than married to partisanship or some idealogocal dogma. I believe he torpedo'd this because he thought it was a bad bill. /2cents
I agree. Sharp contrast to McConnell lol
Old 07-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #3885
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't know this, but apparently McCain's brain cancer has been confirmed as a glioblastoma with an estimated life expectancy of 14 months post-diagnosis with medical treatment. This assumes he can even survive the treatment at his current age of 80 nearing 81. So forget career advancement or posturing for appointments down the line --

This move has to be viewed as that of a man who acted knowing he will be dead this time next year, and all that that entails. Legacy. Lack of personal consequences. Of course, it could be none of this, and he simply acted as he would have acted were he twenty years younger and death were not in sight.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #3886
deoxys
Fog Badge

/r/The_Donald reacts

Would love to read a memoir from McCain giving us a glimpse behind his thought process. Did he decide to say fuck the partisan adversity? Did he simply feel it was in the best interest for the country? Is he tired of having to toe the party line? Or perhaps he is a real Republican who wants to work across the aisle? Or was this one big calculated 'fuck you' to Trump for what he said about him on the campaign trail?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #3887
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

For those interested, McCains statement in full.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #3888
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

YES i love mccain now
Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #3889
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Anthony Scaramucci's been canned.

He'd make a tasty tomato sauce.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #3890
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Anthony Scaramucci's been canned.

He'd make a tasty tomato sauce.

10 days!?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #3891
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was on Kelly's suggestion, since Scaramucci was being insubordinate to him.

I've always had this idea that Trump is pro-Marine, so this is pretty cool. That said, I'm still thinking about the potential shame of him signing my commission papers.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #3892
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I've taken shits longer than Scaramucci was in that office, jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #3893
deoxys
Fog Badge

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/01/540783...ake-news-story

:thinking_face:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #3894
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Well if there was any doubt that Fox News has become the propaganda arm of the Trump admin, it's definitely gone now.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #3895
deoxys
Fog Badge

Full transcripts of Trump’s calls with Mexico and Australia leaked

Choice outtakes:

Quote:
Malcom [sic], why is this so important? I do not understand. This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.
Quote:
TRUMP
Give them to the United States. We are like a dumping ground for the rest of the world. I have been here for a period of time, I just want this to stop. I look so foolish doing this. It [sic] know it is good for you but it is bad for me. It is horrible for me. This is what I am trying to stop. I do not want to have more San Bernardino’s or World Trade Centers. I could name 30 others, but I do not have enough time.

TURNBULL
These guys are not in that league. They are economic refugees.

TRUMP
Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

TURNBULL
They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

TRUMP
They were from wherever they were.

Quote:
PENA NIETO
"Yes, Mr. President. The proposal that you are making is completely new, vis-ŕ-vis the conversations our two teams have been having. But I have gathered this from the position that you have taken in terms of trade. I think we have the route to continue having balanced trade between both nations. And frankly, to tell you the truth Mr. President, I feel quite surprised about this new proposal that you are making because it is different from the discussion that both of our teams have been holding —"

TRUMP
"Enrique, if I can interrupt – this is not a new proposal. This is what I have been saying for a year and a half on the campaign trail. I have been telling this to every group of 50,000 people or 25,000 people – because no one got people in their rallies as big as I did..."
Quote:

TRUMP
My people stand up and say, “Mexico will pay for the wall” and your people probably say something in a similar but slightly different language. But the fact is we are both in a little bit of a political bind because I have to have Mexico pay for the wall – I have to. I have been talking about it for a two year period, and the reason I say they are going to pay for the wall is because Mexico has made a fortune out of the stupidity of U.S. trade representatives. They are beating us at trade and they are beating us at the border, and they are killing us with drugs. Now I know you are not involved with that, but regardless of who is making all the money, billions and billions and billions – some people say more – is being made on drug trafficking that is coming through Mexico. Some people say that the business of drug trafficking is bigger than the business of taking our factory jobs. So what I would like to recommend is – if we are going to have continued dialogue – we will work out the wall. They are going to say, “who is going to pay for the wall, Mr. President?” to both of us, and we should both say, “we will work it out.” It will work out in the formula somehow. As opposed to you saying, “we will not pay” and me saying, “we will not pay.”

PENA NIETO
I fully agree that we should work together. And let me tell you that a lot of what is happening in terms of traffickers in Mexico is being largely supported by the illegal amounts of money and weapons coming from the United States. And this has led Mexico to fight against criminal gangs with the participation of the military and the entire army of Mexico. And this has taken many lives within the military and all the elements that are committed in this fight. But they are criminal groups that are well-armed, especially with weapons coming from the United States illegally into Mexico. I fully agree that both governments can work together to knock out and to do away fully with these criminal gangs.

And on the other issue, Mr. President, on trade I think we are moving forward in a very positive fashion, especially through the dialogue both of our teams are holding. You have a very big mark on our back, Mr. President, regarding who pays for the wall. This is what I suggest, Mr. President – let us stop talking about the wall. I have recognized the right of any government to protect its borders as it deems necessary and convenient. But my position has been and will continue to be very firm saying that Mexico cannot pay for that wall.

TRUMP
But you cannot say that to the press. The press is going to go with that and I cannot live with that. You cannot say that to the press because I cannot negotiate under those circumstances.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #3896
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

This is just amazing. It's so pathetic. And is that man incapable of not bragging every 10 seconds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #3897
Talon87
時の彼方へ

FWIW, not too happy with Turnbull's "They were Russians" line either. As if someone being Russian were an obvious red flag.

But yeah. It is beyond belief that this is the man in the White House.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #3898
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

please clap
Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #3899
deoxys
Fog Badge

Mueller has impaneled a grand jury and has now issued subpoenas

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN1AJ026
Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #3900