Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The Ur-Quan Master

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

In the year 2155, man is still alive.[/ref]

-----------------------------------
And in the depths of space, mankind fights a way with the Alliance of Free Stars against the Ur-Quan and their Hierarchy of Battle Thralls who wish to enslave all sentient life.

Twenty years ago, Star Control sent a research team to the planet of Vela to investigate ruins of an ancient civilization. Unfortunately, the research party was left stranded as the war raged on. During that time, they discovered the purpose of the ruins. It is a factory. A factory for building Starships! But Vela lacks the necessary resources for a complete ship. You only have a skeleton of one. But that must be enough, because you must Captain the Starship and return to Earth! Tell Earth what has happened. And if the war still raged, fight for her freedom!
-------------------------------------

Easily the best game I ever played. The whole universe is vast and large and the MANY alien races are all quirky and unique. You can either attempt to make friends with them or crush them under your feet. But not every race will be your friend. Some races are eager to kill Humans, especially those under the command of the evil Ur-Quan, but some may yet be talked into joining forces with you.

The battle between the ships is amazingly balanced. While Chmmr's Avatar ship can easy destroy smaller ships, they are easily defeated by the Kohr-Ah Marauder, another large ship. But at the same time, the Marauder is easily defeated by the much smaller, weaker Supox Blade. Similarly, each ship is very unique with their own abilities and specialties. The Pkunk Furies, despite being a small, weak ship, have the wonderful/annoying ability to miraculously reincarnate in battle.

Anyway, download the game and play it. You will thank me when you beat it and realize how awesome it is.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Re: The Ur-Quan Master

It is not awesome. Fly around the universe collecting resources. Meet a probe. Get owned by the probe. Fly around some more. Same probe appeares. Get owned again. Decide to buy additional weaponry. Lack funds so have to sell speed an turning boosts. Therefore still get owned.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Loki

lol.

When you first start, you're not supposed to really fight anything. The probes can be beaten by smart use of Fwiffo's ship, but it's not easily done by novice players. The main thing people do is run from probes until you get stronger weapons like the Fusion cannons, where you just spawn, turn towards them, and spam-fire when they're within range, costing you at worst 5 crewmen.

If you lack money, search the nearby systems like the Centauri ones. Eventually when you've got a fast enough ship and then go to Delta Tauri will pretty much give you enough cash to last you on 90% of you space travels, where the rest of it is covered by randomly landing for more cash along the way, but be sure to have a lot of fuel and full speed thrusters, because you'll need to keep out of reach of the enemy, who's territory you'll be passing through.

Another option is to sell any of the free ships your allies give you. Lots of allies do it somewhere down the line and selling them easily funds you, as quite a few are pretty useless unless you know how to use them really well.

A big tip is to copy down anything people say, like locations of other races or things they notice. Not all of it is useful, but some can be a surprisingly good point in the right direction.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

That race of three different species told me their homeworld and I noted it down, but I can't get there without the UrQuan deciding to come along and asplode me.

Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Loki

Then it comes down to selling useless modules. The Ion-Bolt Gun is useless, so sell that and buy more Speed Thrusters. I know it sounds weird to leave yourself defenseless, but when you have max Speed Thrusters, you will outrace everything. Also, if you're not in alien territory, for the most part, you'll not run into anything except possibly probes.

Also, using Auto-Pilot (the Star Map), you'll always take up the shortest route and not waste fuel. And with max speed, you'll likely not run into any major problems.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

I made an allience with the linguistically challenged green blobs, but then they invaded Earth and now I can build their starship. I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Loki

LOL. You made an alliance with them so they decided to go to your home base to aid you with crew/ships. But since that race was unknown to Earthlings they mistaken it for an invasion at first until they realized you made an alliance with them.

Yeah, those guys talk funny because your interstellar translator doesn't understand them fully.

Their ships are quite strong so you should get at least one. It's quick and it fires a medium range cannon. They also have two specials: One is by holding down Space/Num 0 and an arrow key will turn their turret,which is helpful since it's a fast ship that can pull up and just strafe as it runs past them. The second is by holding down Space/Num 0 and Enter. This will fire out a space jumping saboteur. If it gets in contact with an enemy ship, it'll kill the enemy's crew one by one until they're all died or the space jumper dies. If the enemy ship is slow, it can work quite well. The space jumper comes back if they can't catch up or blow up the enemy ship, which is nifty. And you can launch more then one for more effectiveness, but it might end up being a waste of crew if they shoot them while in space >>
Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

So, I finally made it to the triplets homeworld, and they told me where the probes were coming from. So I went there, found nothing, and run out of fuel on the way back home. I love this game.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Loki

Actually, if you run out of fuel, someone comes and 'saves' you. Sorta. If you ever caught a wild animal using your lander, you can sell the biological data for fuel.

Also, they give you a VERY vague clue. You're supposed to get more clues throughout the game and then find it.

How did you know where to go? The clue is VERY VAGUE. Like, "between this star and that star over there." It's not really workable to find it from that alone.

Anyway, like I said, use the auto-pilot Starmap. It will tell you how much fuel you use and you'll know if you have enough to go/make it back or not.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

They said we've plotted their course and it forms a line between this star and another star. So I autopiloted along that line, and then carried on, and there was only one more star on that line.

Also, I just bought two new ships, then tested them out against probes, seeing if they could kill them better than I can in Fwiffo's ship. They are now piles of debris

Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Loki

If you want to learn to pilot ships better, you can go onto Super Melee. You can use any ship except the flagship. It's also got online play, so if you want to test against me, that's cool too. And I won't be a dick. I'll go easy on people.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #12
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

The religious fanatic evil centapede guys that are the ur-quan allies kick ass, especially when you 'imitate' their God (via using this voice modulator thingy and gaining access to the evil centipede guy's communicators), command them to rage war on the ur-quan, and thus they 'help' in thinning the ur-quan's numbers.
SulcataIxlude is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games