UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #1301
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
When unownmew has no counter-argument.

Also, the post I made above this one is a link to a pretty grotesque story. You are warned!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #1302
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Posting here to say that, in opposition to the thread title, I am not going to heck, because I am still alive.

There was a (sealed) packet of ground turkey in my refrigerator that I defrosted in late December, then left/didn't cook because I was lazy. I finally got around to it Thursday and was scared out of my mind that I'd never wake up after eating it. My career teaches me of all the potential pathogens from spoiled food, and the meat was rather slimy when I took it out, but I was more afraid of chemical poisons rather than protein based ones (since even botulinum toxin can be denatured by heat).

Glad to still be here!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #1303
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Posting here to say that, in opposition to the thread title, I am not going to heck, because I am still alive.

There was a (sealed) packet of ground turkey in my refrigerator that I defrosted in late December, then left/didn't cook because I was lazy. I finally got around to it Thursday and was scared out of my mind that I'd never wake up after eating it. My career teaches me of all the potential pathogens from spoiled food, and the meat was rather slimy when I took it out, but I was more afraid of chemical poisons rather than protein based ones (since even botulinum toxin can be denatured by heat).

Glad to still be here!
Our culture fosters a mindset that is excessively phobic about food poisoning, this is true. Some personal anecdotes include:
  • arguing with a professor about butter. It came up when we were discussing a particular cardiac disease process that is colloquially known amongst physicians as "bread and butter lesions" because it's said to visually resemble the torn-up bread you get when you try to spread cold butter on bread. When I offered that this was a bad name for the symptom because one normally spreads room temperature butter on bread, not out-of-the-fridge cold butter, the professor (and everyone else in the class) gave me odd looks like I was being a smartass for suggesting that everyone keeps room temperature butter on hand for their bread-spreading needs. And when I said that yes, this was the case in my household, they acted like we were nutso. When I tried to explain to them what a butter tray is for (and has been for for centuries), they insisted that you only put a fresh stick of butter on a butter tray for decoration for a kitchen table decked out with Sunday breakfast. When I tried to explain that for centuries humanity had butter before it had refrigeration, they insisted that the butter back then was made fresh by every household every morning and that any butter that went unused that very morning was to be tossed out as spoilage.

tl;dr I learned that day that apparently most Americans believe that butter goes rancid if you leave it out of the fridge for a matter of hours. -_-; *sigh*
  • arguing with people at various stages of my education about mayonnaise. Some people argue that food with mayannoise in it left out at room temperature for even one hour should be tossed. And that's just criminally wasteful. There are people starving all over the world and you toss out a half-eaten turkey sandwich because of a phone call that took you away from your lunch for forty minutes? Ridiculous. Again, I can personally vouch for eating mayonnaise-dressed sandwiches a good 6+ hours after preparation at no ill side effects of any kind.
  • we were taught that rice that's left to sit out should be tossed because it attracts a B. cereus infection and the toxin produced by B. cereus resists heat. Well, it is true that rice left out is likelier to get an infestation of B. cereus than rice promptly put away ... but that's only because we're talking 0.000001% odds of infection if you don't leave it out vs. maybe 0.001% odds if you do. It's a question of exposure time at that point, pure and simple. It's not like "put away, ~0% odds; left out for a couple of hours, 10% chance; left out overnight, ~90% chance". No. People leave rice out overnight all the time and come back to it the next day no problems. Again, our household has done this many times over the years, and I myself have done it living on my own with basmati, American long grain, and jasmine rice. Made the rice (say) at 6pm. Ate some of it. Forgot to put it in the fridge over night. Came back to it the next day. Plated it at 12pm (eighteen hours later). Ate it. No problems.
I once knew a girl whose parents both ate raw ground beef. It was just something that was done in their culture. And if you're thinking "UGH! HOW UNCIVILIZED!", said culture was ...

Spoiler: show
German. I'd hardly say Germans are "uncivilized" when it comes to food prep, health, etc. No more so than Brits, Americans, or Canadians. But yeah, this girls' parents were both Germans who emigrated to America.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1304
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Quote:
Also, the post I made above this one is a link to a pretty grotesque story. You are warned!
Sorry I neglected to respond to this sooner. I read it soon after you posted but failed to respond. Sorry if you felt ignored.

It is pretty grotesque, on several levels.

How she died: Whether she was murdered and her killer got the idea to dump her body in the water tank because he'd read about it in some book before, or whether she was poking around the water tank, fell in, and became like a fly in a pitcher plant, I've no idea. Either is terrible. No one deserves to die in either of those manners.

How her body was found: the only reason they found her body was because they checked the water tank; and the only reason they checked the water tank had nothing to even do with her disappearance. It was because of reported problems with the water. Some guests in the hotel had complained about low water pressure (because the pipes got clogged with bits of her decomposed body >_>). Others had reported that the first few seconds you turned the taps on the water was black but that then after a few seconds it was clear again. >_>;

Ramifications for the guests at the hotel: that's going to haunt some of them for years to come, even though it's no fault of their own and even though many will be able to put it out of their minds. For some, that's bound to be really, really sickening and haunting that they drank, brushed their teeth with, and showered in water that was mixed with a rotting corpse.

All in all, it's a really horrible story. I feel sorry for her, I feel sorry for her parents, I feel sorry for the hotel management, and I feel sorry for the guests who stayed there over the past several weeks. If she was killed, which to me seems the more likely of the two possibilities, then hopefully her killer is found and brought to justice. No parent wants to outlive their child. No parent wants to have no body* of their child's to bury. And absolutely no parent wants to happen to their child what happened to this young woman.

* I realize they had a partial body. But if you've ever seen what water does to a cadaver, it's not pretty.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-23-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #1305
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"the water tasted funny..." yeah I bet.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it was pretty devilish so I guess it goes here.

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #1306
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Oh Doppel u so silly!
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #1307
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I am the worst when it comes to eating expired food. I am unbelievably gross. I've routinely drank milk that is 1 week past the expiration date, and clearly tasting sour. I draw the line when it starts to chunk up.

Same deal with meat. Even if it's a bit slimey, I give it the ol' smell test, and I know it's too far gone when it starts smelling like a sweaty sock. Sometimes I go for it anyway though.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #1308
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
I am the worst when it comes to eating expired food. I am unbelievably gross. I've routinely drank milk that is 1 week past the expiration date, and clearly tasting sour. I draw the line when it starts to chunk up.

Same deal with meat. Even if it's a bit slimey, I give it the ol' smell test, and I know it's too far gone when it starts smelling like a sweaty sock. Sometimes I go for it anyway though.
I do the same with milk, especially if there is quite a bit of it. I really don't want to waste it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #1309
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Your problem is drinking milk in the first place. That stuff is nasty.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #1310
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
Whole milk4lyfe
Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #1311
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I never drink milk by itself. I either heat it up with cocoa powder or pour it in cereal.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #1312
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I never drink milk by itself. I either heat it up with cocoa powder or pour it in cereal.
Ah that's far more understandable. Milk by itself is just greasy and sick..
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1313
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I drink milk often. Perhaps too often. I sometimes feel like I never have any milk in the mornings
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #1314
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I got another story for you. One time I made a cup of Instant Breakfast, which is basically chocolate powder (with VITAMINS!) that you mix into milk. My dad yelled at me from downstairs to hurry up, because we were leaving on vacation. I put the milk down on my dresser and went to do something else, forgot about it, and we left.

One week later, I returned and found the cup of milk on my dresser. I went to go "pour" it down the drain, and out schlupped a big gelatinous mass. That was pretty gross, but the non food waster in me still felt bad about not having the guts to eat the big gelatinous mass!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #1315
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsweeney View Post
One week later, I returned and found the cup of milk on my dresser. I went to go "pour" it down the drain, and out schlupped a big gelatinous mass. That was pretty gross, but the non food waster in me still felt bad about not having the guts to eat the big gelatinous mass!
*insert Kaiji "Ikitai! Ikitainda! / I wanna live! I wanna live! ;_;" soundbyte from Human Horseracing here*

What I imagine you saying as you spoon spoonfuls of the "pudding" into your mouth and swallow.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1316
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I drank a glass of milk that was 8 days past the expiration date even though I realized it tasted funny. ...It's been at least a couple weeks since then, and I still haven't emptied out the rest of the carton. I'm scared to look now.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #1317
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
I finally figured out what Unownmew does when you kick him off UPN: he makes insane comics.

To get a true feel of things, I recommend reading Big Daddy, Dark Dungeons, There Go The Dinosaurs or Crazy Wolf.

Last edited by kusari; 02-25-2013 at 01:05 AM.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #1318
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
I finally figured out what Unownmew does when you kick him off UPN: he makes insane comics.

To get a true feel of things, I recommend reading Big Daddy, Dark Dungeons, There Go The Dinosaurs or Crazy Wolf.
Some of those art prints are amazing, but the one of the old woman dying made me feel uncomfortable because a grandmother I know has pneumonia right now.

I think the one with the angel holding back a behemoth-like demon is the best. All these demons are trying to tempt this 90 year old woman on a bench feeding pigeons into sin! Clearly, she must be in a position to do something so terrible she'll face eternal damnation if a burly nurse-angel doesn't strong-arm the demons away.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #1319
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Given it's stance on mormonism, I'm going to go ahead and guess that even UM wouldn't approve.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #1320
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Non American UPNers, is this true?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #1321
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's a fair stereotype that Americans love freedom.

Me, I'm an order man. But we can't win 'em all...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #1322
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>Tdos

What, the pushy American? Sure. Also the ignorant American.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #1323
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Biologically Accurate Spider-Man.

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1324
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
When unownmew has no counter-argument.

I threw up in my mouth a little.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #1325
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I threw up in my mouth a little.
I find that hard to swallow.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて